Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

I've never had a 5.25" disk not work - even if it was stored on top of an unshielded speaker, next to an MRI scanner, or in the control room in Pripyat. 3.5" disks however, will fail if they're not shielded from the Earth's magnetic field.

I'm going to qualify that with 'later-manufacture 3.5 disks'

The early runs were lovely and reliable and you could pull them out of storage after a few years, blow the dust off and they would work fine. Then there seemed to be a change to make them lovely and unreliable to the point where you had to check every disk fresh out of the box and assume that 20% would fail within the first week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crowley posted:

I've never had a 5.25" disk not work - even if it was stored on top of an unshielded speaker, next to an MRI scanner, or in the control room in Pripyat. 3.5" disks however, will fail if they're not shielded from the Earth's magnetic field.

I had MicroZine disks failing after a few years back with an Apple II :(

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

jammyozzy posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Our official company training material referring to staff as 'resource' e.g. "raise your concerns with an appropriate company resource." :jerkbag:

New gig - I had a one-on-one with the Senior VP of our division. He referred to staff members as resources throughout our discussion. At the end, he asked me if I had any other questions.

I asked him if he would mind not referring to people as resources in my presence, as I found it personally offensive. He asked me how he should refer to them. I suggested "people".

Off to a good start :laugh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sarcasmatron posted:

New gig - I had a one-on-one with the Senior VP of our division. He referred to staff members as resources throughout our discussion. At the end, he asked me if I had any other questions.

I asked him if he would mind not referring to people as resources in my presence, as I found it personally offensive. He asked me how he should refer to them. I suggested "people".

:ohdear: Fight the good fight, dude. I would probably have not done the same, but I would've wanted to.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Apparently the backup software we use has a DST bug...

It sends out a daily email reminder at 4PM to a handful of people reminding them to change the backup disk.

At 1:59AM, when the clock rolled back to 1AM, it somehow triggered the app to start sending the reminder email about once every second until the time came back around to 1:59AM again. I woke up Sunday morning with a little over 3,000 emails reminding me to change the backup disk.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stevewm posted:

Apparently the backup software we use has a DST bug...

It sends out a daily email reminder at 4PM to a handful of people reminding them to change the backup disk.

At 1:59AM, when the clock rolled back to 1AM, it somehow triggered the app to start sending the reminder email about once every second until the time came back around to 1:59AM again. I woke up Sunday morning with a little over 3,000 emails reminding me to change the backup disk.

Well, did you change the disk?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Found out the 100% write tape drive in our security DVR isn't as much tape as it is a 4 gig IDE platter. She was a little hot and dusty after 6 years.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our Everfocus DVRs are the same way. It's just a computer that continually writes to the HDD inside and you just pray that the thing doesn't bite the dust either through the hard drive dying or the firmware randomly breaking itself.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Can we just stop jumping the loving clock forward and backwards every 6 months?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Griffon posted:

Can we just stop jumping the loving clock forward and backwards every 6 months?

Pretty please? DST is the worst

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

KaneTW posted:

Pretty please? DST is the worst

It saves a lot of energy and is easily changed, most devices do it automatically. I'm pro 'Saving Energy Without Changing My Lifestyle' myself.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Is DST summer or winter? I can never remember. I like winter time better.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Apparently it starts in spring and ends in fall, which always confused me, wouldn't you want to save daylight when there is less of it?

Remove DST, remove timezones, this system is so dumb.

e: also DST kills people

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mrit posted:

It saves a lot of energy and is easily changed, most devices do it automatically. I'm pro 'Saving Energy Without Changing My Lifestyle' myself.

It doesn't actually save any energy and is stupid and pointless.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

It doesn't actually save any energy and is stupid and pointless.

And still in TYOOL 2014 there are apps that don't use utc internally. Enjoy 80 ambulances freezing on the map for an hour because the dispatch system thinks the position updates they're sending are older than the positions it already has and discards them.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Che Delilas posted:

Take it from someone who has seen this kind of thing before: you are working for a narcissist/egomaniac. It doesn't matter that you were professional and not dickish. What matters to her is that you defied her authority; she wanted you to do something and you told her that you had something that was more important to do right this minute. It was a direct challenge to her, her authority, and her very identity, because these people can never be wrong. Likewise, their decisions can never be affected by new information, because they already know everything important. God help you if you were in a place where other people could hear the conversation.

These people hold grudges. Expect her to bring this "incident" up again any time you want something and during performance reviews. If she doesn't mention it specifically she'll probably generalize it as you having an attitude problem. However she words it, you're probably on her permanent poo poo list now. I know I'm doomsaying here, but the fact that she took the time out to call you in to your office specifically to dress you down for something so petty tells me that she isn't going to let it go.

So yeah. Get out asap.

This, this, this, a million times this. Every action you take will now be viewed through a lens of your "habitual insubordination." If you respond by becoming a puppet who does absolutely nothing other than what they're explicitly telling you to do, you will then be "deliberately feigning a lack of initiative" in an "insubordinate manner."

Immediately prioritize getting a new job, everything else is a distant second. If it helps, your career where you currently are is already effectively over because you will never be promoted/get a positive review ever, ever again.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
DST is the best, never not spring forward.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

spog posted:

I'm going to qualify that with 'later-manufacture 3.5 disks'

The early runs were lovely and reliable and you could pull them out of storage after a few years, blow the dust off and they would work fine. Then there seemed to be a change to make them lovely and unreliable to the point where you had to check every disk fresh out of the box and assume that 20% would fail within the first week.

For a long long time my F6 driver floppies were a set of 3 discs that originally contained drivers for an "Elephant" branded Aliance Promotion based graphics card for Windows 3.11 but landed in my possession back in 1994 filled with Doom WADs.

I last used them to install Dell PERC4? drivers while reinstalling Server 2003 on fleet of PowerEdges (2450 and 1450 I think)... in 2011. No idea where they've gone now. Hopefully we're finally at a point where I don't need them.

Feels like there was some sort of conspiracy to kill off floppies. I'd put my tinfoil hat on but the resulting static would probably wipe any surviving data on the later discs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sheep posted:

Our Everfocus DVRs are the same way. It's just a computer that continually writes to the HDD inside and you just pray that the thing doesn't bite the dust either through the hard drive dying or the firmware randomly breaking itself.

Actually, I've changed the hard drive in an old lovely Everfocus. Just had to google up the model number of the Seagate drive inside and get a replacement. It was a bit more expensive than a plain consumer drive, but not much. loving things were running on a SATA->IDE converter bolted on to the front of the drive, though. What a piece of poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lum posted:

Feels like there was some sort of conspiracy to kill off floppies.

The implacable march of time?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yeah, I think a lot of people tend to forget that people used floppies for 30 years without major problems. It was only when the quality went to poo poo in the late 90s/early 2000s that the thing about them being bad out of the box became true. I've got boxes of Amiga floppies in the loft that all still work fine.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Actually, I've changed the hard drive in an old lovely Everfocus. Just had to google up the model number of the Seagate drive inside and get a replacement. It was a bit more expensive than a plain consumer drive, but not much. loving things were running on a SATA->IDE converter bolted on to the front of the drive, though. What a piece of poo poo.

Quite a few of the early SATA drives actually had one of those converter chips soldered onto the bloody board!

poo poo that pissed you off daily... 2000s edition.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

poo poo that pissed you off daily... 2000s edition.

"Ugh, goddamn hard coded poo poo."
*subst a: b:*

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sarcasmatron posted:

"People, employees, staff members, workers, team members (:jerkbag:), techs, experts, professionals." Just off the top of my head. It's amazing how many words there are, none of them particularly difficult to say, that don't imply that a person is a fungible asset that can be ordered prefab from a warehouse.

mewse
May 2, 2006

How are you supposed to impress your new friends in the management club if you aren't using the latest deliberately abstract term to refer to the people you are supposed to be responsible for

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

"Ugh, goddamn hard coded poo poo."
*subst a: b:*

"I need to swap out this memory/nic/drive/other easily replaced part"
*finishes job, non-tech looks at your hands and trys to get you to see someone about self harm*

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Lum posted:

*finishes job, non-tech looks at your hands and trys to get you to see someone about self harm*

Molex power connectors. Those were the absolute worst.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

funk_mata posted:

Combined with cheap-rear end beige box cases, I swear to god that was worse than sticking your hand in a bucket of razor wire.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Lum posted:

I'm convinced the GX240 was designed to remove the tips of your fingers when closing the case.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

funk_mata posted:

My hate for Molex power connectors is as deep as the Challenger Deep and as ugly as anything you would find there.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

Combined with cheap-rear end beige box cases, I swear to god that was worse than sticking your hand in a bucket of razor wire.

That time my boss asked me to write a procedure for troubleshooting IRQ conflicts

Nope.. that's something you do by feel / gut instinct.

Ended up handing him an envelope with "bugger about with it until you find a combination that works" scrawled on the back.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

mewse posted:

How are you supposed to impress your new friends in the management club if you aren't using the latest deliberately abstract term to refer to the people you are supposed to be responsible for

Besides the more you dehumanize them the easier you'll sleep at night when the time comes to out source all their work and lay them off.

Fake edit: Oh who am I kidding sociopaths sleep like proverbial(as opposed to actual) babies.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mewse posted:

Being completely serious, I think this is a big part of it. The problem is that the word is insidious. Otherwise decent people take up the popular terminology and then its dehumanizing nature goes to work on their subconscious. Enough of that over time and they turn into actual sociopaths who don't see humans anymore; they see cogs and costs and problems.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lum posted:

Feels like there was some sort of conspiracy to kill off floppies. I'd put my tinfoil hat on but the resulting static would probably wipe any surviving data on the later discs.

It's more that once boxed software distribution by floppies died off, all the floppy makers lost a huge market of customers that absolutely needed high quality disks, and a lot of floppy manufacturers simply quit doing it all together, often still selling floppies but as resellers from cheaper factories.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

funk_mata posted:

Especially the cheap ones where the pins never lined up right.

Parallell ports. gently caress the parallell port interface.

Actually, gently caress ALL D-sub connectors. Especially VGA.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

Especially the cheap ones where the pins never lined up right.

Parallell ports. gently caress the parallell port interface.

Actually, gently caress ALL D-sub connectors. Especially VGA.

Not all. RS232 over DE-9 is OK. Ideally the male plug should have been on the cable instead of the appliance, but that's a minor flaw.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Not all. RS232 over DE-9 is OK. Ideally the male plug should have been on the cable instead of the appliance, but that's a minor flaw.

I've seen too many VGA plugs forcefully stuffed into RS232 sockets to agree with you on that.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

I've seen too many VGA plugs forcefully stuffed into RS232 sockets to agree with you on that.

I've seen a full size firewire connector forcibly plugged in backwards destroying a £5000 piece of equipment.

Can't blame it on the connector, just users.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer
Not pissing me off: last time I was at the beer store I dropped my name in this contest thing I forgot about. Today I got an email letting me know that I won the tickets to a craft beer tasting! :toot:

Negative content: speaking of connectors, our embedded platforms have a few connectors on them, all molex 2x3s, one is for 28V power supply, the other is RS232. Oops.

Lum posted:

Can't blame it on the connector, just users.

It is me, I am the user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Being completely serious, I think this is a big part of it. The problem is that the word is insidious. Otherwise decent people take up the popular terminology and then its dehumanizing nature goes to work on their subconscious. Enough of that over time and they turn into actual sociopaths who don't see humans anymore; they see cogs and costs and problems.

This.

Just because I'm in senior management and have to make difficult decisions doesn't mean that I get to deflect the difficulty of those decisions by objectifying the people who are impacted by said decisions.