Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's because being able to spam potions makes you invincible and all that other stuff doesn't. I don't know why this would change at hardmode because potion sickness doesn't magically appear when it triggers.

Do people have fun autoattacking boars as a level 1 character in wow clones or something, that literally all I can come up with when I try to imagine the types of games people who want to facetank play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Devour or Fire posted:

It's because being able to spam potions makes you invincible and all that other stuff doesn't. I don't know why this would change at hardmode because potion sickness doesn't magically appear when it triggers.

Do people have fun autoattacking boars as a level 1 character in wow clones or something, that literally all I can come up with when I try to imagine the types of games people who want to facetank play.

If we're playing WOW analogies to offhandedly dismiss opinions, does that make a bunch of Heart lanterns your team healer and traps your DPS? :v:

I don't think making an arena setup to be the most efficient at killing a boss is doing it wrong, that still takes time and effort to setup after all. But that doesn't seem enough to automatically make people thinking otherwise wrong and wanting to just let a drinking bird at the keyboard be all the need to play either.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 3, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
One thing I enjoy instead of building boss arenas is just flattening the surface enough to be able to run nonstop. I'm gonna do that regardless, but having put in the work makes bosses totally doable without extra effort. Except maybe The Twins, and even then, you can just jump over them and run the other way when you run out of room.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z posted:

If we're playing WOW analogies to offhandedly dismiss opinions, does that make a bunch of Heart lanterns your team healer and traps your DPS? :v:

I don't think making an arena setup to be the most efficient at killing a boss is doing it wrong, that still takes time and effort to setup after all. But that doesn't seem enough to automatically make people thinking otherwise wrong and wanting to just let a drinking bird at the keyboard be all the need to play either.

I really don't know where to start when you start arguing that not playing a game should be a valid and supported way to play a game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i hate it when people break what is basically a single player game by trivializing its progression through sequence-break-hacking because i

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If your goal is to break the game why don't you just inventory edit, or use the potion mod and become invincible. Why do you get defensive when Red changes the game like he wants while mods that let you play ninja dog easy mode also update for new versions.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thats like saying "if your goal is to beat the game as fast as possible, why dont you just edit a save so you're at the end or play the ending on youtube". some people like to speedrun. them speedrunning doesnt make me unable to play it normally nor should the developer address speed running as if it were a flaw

i dont care about terraria progression. i do think its funny that someone cares about how other people play the terraria game. its funny, because its stupid

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care about people who go ahead and and play the game differently. However there is a group of people who wish to play the game differently in a way that isn't being supported and they're getting mad about it and blaming the developer and reddit and I'm interacting with them to some degree.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do speedrunners get upset if a game they've played before gets patched and as a result a perfect run is slower.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think a good analogy is SSBM players getting mad when Brawl fixed wavedashing. If it was never intended game behavior, it's well within the rights of the creator to change things, even if some people liked the breakiness.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Devour or Fire posted:

Do speedrunners get upset if a game they've played before gets patched and as a result a perfect run is slower.

im sure they do. glitches are cool

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

im sure they do. glitches are cool

Did I just walk into one of bizarre double standards people often start throwing around when they express their opinions about caring/getting mad at video games.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Section Z posted:

That's silly; the effects of heart lanterns and campfires aren't all that powerful, and you're definitely going to die if you're not trying to dodge things. As for traps, they're only there to kill the small fry and give you some extra points towards the next wave while you're fighting the bosses during the two wave events. They don't actually hurt bosses because placing them in a way that would hurt the boss without potentially hitting you is impossible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm still not sure why you keep hollering about "speedrunners" and "pro strats" when people are just a little disappointed that one day their very wide open world exploration game went on lockdown for no good reason.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It was never really particularly wide open, though? The only significant progression changes added after the fact were keys (golden and shadow varieties) and making Plantera require the three mechanical bosses. Everything else about progression has been the same as it is now, hasn't it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

dis astranagant posted:

I'm still not sure why you keep hollering about "speedrunners" and "pro strats" when people are just a little disappointed that one day their very wide open world exploration game went on lockdown for no good reason.

I think people are getting a bit beyond "a little disappointed".

Cardiovorax posted:

I will never understand why gamers are the only people in the world stupid and desperate enough to think that they do not have any right to get a product they are happy with when they give someone their money. Nobody would ever accept getting his paid-for donut taken away and refilled with poo poo instead of jelly because "that's the product the baker wanted to make."

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Actually people complaining about locks getting added to shadow chests are stupid because shadow chests never existed unlocked, you had to grind bone serpents for all their loot before. If that sounds like a good time then guess what you can still go to hell and kill demons for their hardmode-viable magic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

That's silly; the effects of heart lanterns and campfires aren't all that powerful, and you're definitely going to die if you're not trying to dodge things. As for traps, they're only there to kill the small fry and give you some extra points towards the next wave while you're fighting the bosses during the two wave events. They don't actually hurt bosses because placing them in a way that would hurt the boss without potentially hitting you is impossible.

See, answers like this are good for explaining how I'm wrong about something, even if my WOW jab in the first place was a petty comment towards fire bringing up anyone wanting to play different literally want MMO Autoattacks :v:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Devour or Fire posted:

Most of them just keep using an earlier version where a key bug or glitch still works I think?

I really don't see what the big problem here is. If something changed in this game and it shits you off, change it back or stop playing it. There are plenty of tools to let you make the sandbox feel fun again if it isn't fun anymore. You don't have to show up for raids at 7 sharp with a vanilla copy of the game. Just do whatever is fun, who cares!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

It was never really particularly wide open, though? The only significant progression changes added after the fact were keys (golden and shadow varieties) and making Plantera require the three mechanical bosses. Everything else about progression has been the same as it is now, hasn't it?

You could get and use ectoplasm a lot earlier (admittedly kinda buggy at first) and you could essentially skip all the old hardmode ore grind if you were good at fighting ice golems.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

I don't care about people who go ahead and and play the game differently. However there is a group of people who wish to play the game differently in a way that isn't being supported and they're getting mad about it and blaming the developer and reddit and I'm interacting with them to some degree.

Devour or Fire posted:

Actually people complaining about locks getting added to shadow chests are stupid because shadow chests never existed unlocked, you had to grind bone serpents for all their loot before. If that sounds like a good time then guess what you can still go to hell and kill demons for their hardmode-viable magic.

People are complaining about things because new patches come along and both add new features and pidgeonhole how you can play the game. Shadow chests may have always been locked but you know that Golden Chests in the Dungeon weren't right? So suiciding in and chancing upon getting a Muramasa or Aqua Scepter or whatever was a possible option. I don't think anyone even mentioned shadow chests not being locked though.

For some reason people aren't exactly delighted by things like chancing on finding a special key for those Hallow Corruption or Jungle chests now needing key molds as well because....?

Personally, I wasn't a fan of Hardmode gear getting nerfed back when people were claiming that the Specter set was overpowered I mean, just don't use it if it bugs you? It's a single-player game, so if you're not having fun using it exercise some restraint and don't.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't answer these questions if you keep equating structure to arbitrary and meaningless gating. Red isn't going to let you set your spawn next to the dungeon and murder yourself in it until you make it to the first chest because you found out how to get power bombs really early with wall jumping in Super Metroid 15 years ago, deal with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

I can't answer these questions if you keep equating structure to arbitrary and meaningless gating. Red isn't going to let you set your spawn next to the dungeon and murder yourself in it until you make it to the first chest because you found out how to get power bombs really early with wall jumping in Super Metroid 15 years ago, deal with it.

Hey man, it doesn't bug me, since I'm all about going through natural progression in games because I lack creativity. I'm just trying to explain the other people's point on it.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You haven't explained jack poo poo, the only thing I've gathered from your collection of rhetorical questions is a fear of change.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I think DoF subsists by arguing about sandbox games. It was nice before to have this thread bookmarked. It popped back up when something cool came out. Now it's devolving into a shitfest like the starbound thread. Thanks. You too Babe Magnet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

You haven't explained jack poo poo, the only thing I've gathered from your collection of rhetorical questions is a fear of change.

Yeah, I don't like change when the change makes things worse than they were. Or at least when I think it does.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If anyone is taking DoF even remotely seriously or just responding in general I would encourage them to check out his/her handiwork over in the Starbound thread.

I would then swiftly put him/her on ignore.

Seriously, it's like people got bored in the Starbound thread so they just all piled into this one making GBS threads it up.

In terraria related posting, I saw the links to tAPI and shockahs mods. Do we know how well those play with content mods? I saw the thorium mod that looked really cool and had pretty good sprite work.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Do those mods posted on the last page work with characters that you created without them? I tried loading them up but now none of my characters are showing up (although their files are still in the Terraria folder).

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Rashomon posted:

Do those mods posted on the last page work with characters that you created without them? I tried loading them up but now none of my characters are showing up (although their files are still in the Terraria folder).

tAPI has it's own player and world folder. In documents/my games/terraria there should be a tAPI folder - this is where the .plr and .wld files are now. I believe they use their own formats, so you'll likely have to start over. You can try copying a player over there though I guess.

The mentioned mods below add content relevant to the whole progression chain, so you may want to consider starting over anyway.

Saxophone posted:

In terraria related posting, I saw the links to tAPI and shockahs mods. Do we know how well those play with content mods? I saw the thorium mod that looked really cool and had pretty good sprite work.

All tAPI mods by design should work together with no issues, it's part of the idea of it I think. However, as a word of advice I would honestly wait until the mod you're looking at is for r12 or above (r12 and r13a mods should both work with the current version, r13a). The reason for the restriction is twofold; firstly tAPI r12 and onwards is built against 1.2.4.1, which is to say the current version of Terraria with all the vanilla features and gizmos, and using a prior version of tAPI means using an older Terraria, which is a bit pants. The second reason is that the older versions have issues.

Basically it's worth hanging on for the mod to hit r12. It will if it's any good. I've tried Shockah's stuff, which is good as I've already mentioned, Grox's mod, which is really quite fun and adds a lot of little pieces of kit and additional mobs here and there to round things out (and a really nifty zombie invasion which upgrades as you progress), Elemental Boots, which adds some nice recipes for more accessories that look the part and seem to fit in well, and the Doctor Who mod which adds, well, Doctor Who and a sonic screwdriver / some fluff. These are all working nicely with r12+. I haven't touched the others that're r12+ yet as they either look a bit weird or don't add actual features.

The mods that require you to piss about replacing .EXE files do not play nicely with any other mod (as they're full binary replacements rather than API mods) and I would steer clear.

Avalon and Thorium look interesting, look forward to them turning up in r12+.

E: Word of caution on Shockah's mods - the 'Item Suffix' component can sometimes get a bit crashprone and throw the odd null pointer here and there which can be a pain and require restoring your player backup file in extreme circumstances. You can disable that module on an individual basis until it's sorted. He mentioned it was fixed as a side-effect of something he was doing with tAPI r14, so that's promising. I've had zero issues with any of the other mods, crashing or otherwise.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 3, 2014

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
You know what else is lame? The first level of Contra. Why do I have to run right? That's no fun and doesn't support my personal playstyle, I want to sit in one place and shoot an immobile boss whilst endlessly respawning. Why didn't the developers think of people like me? There's no way that title will ever be a classic because it caters to a very specific niche that is obviously a niche because I am not a part of it!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder how much longer goons are going to try and post involved and lovely metaphors that essentially boil down to 'HURR YOU'RE RETARDED' in an effort to make their posting penis hard

it's immensely cool and even cooler because it's arguing about how they enjoy terraria's combat being a lovely version of maplestory gameplay

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

goons are going to try and post involved and lovely metaphors that essentially boil down to 'HURR YOU'RE RETARDED'

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

how they enjoy terraria's combat being a lovely version of maplestory gameplay

Well you were concise I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i was probably too harsh on maplestory. it's actually pretty equipped to handle that type of gameplay last time i checked.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I can't wait for the 1.3 thread just so we can start with a clean slate again.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The only gating that has ever bothered me was putting locks on the sky chests. Sure, you could immediately rush them by building a skyway, but none of the items really broke progression in any way. As it stands, the two damage items are immediately made redundant by stuff from the dungeon which you are guaranteed to have already looted.

With regards to sequence breaking, I think that the changes were probably made to stop newer players from thinking "well this skull murders me 9 times out of 10, but the tenth time I got a new item. I guess I'm supposed to keep trying?"

Same goes for underworld chests. It's easy to imagine a scenario where someone digs straight down, misses / ignores any caves, and then gets murdered over and over in a very frustrating fashion - but they sometimes reach a chest and are rewarded, so they keep at it. Then they complain the game is unbalanced.

Redigit thinking "I should idiot-proof this poo poo" seems a lot more likely than him cackling as he celebrates another victory over his greatest enemy: guy who gets a muramasa one or two hours early.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

People are complaining about things because new patches come along and both add new features and pidgeonhole how you can play the game. Shadow chests may have always been locked but you know that Golden Chests in the Dungeon weren't right? So suiciding in and chancing upon getting a Muramasa or Aqua Scepter or whatever was a possible option. I don't think anyone even mentioned shadow chests not being locked though.

For some reason people aren't exactly delighted by things like chancing on finding a special key for those Hallow Corruption or Jungle chests now needing key molds as well because....?

Personally, I wasn't a fan of Hardmode gear getting nerfed back when people were claiming that the Specter set was overpowered I mean, just don't use it if it bugs you? It's a single-player game, so if you're not having fun using it exercise some restraint and don't.

So get an inventory editor and just give yourself a Muramasa or an Aqua Scepter? Or maybe use a map editor to stick an unlocked chest with those weapons inside the front of the dungeon? As far as I know, Red's done precisely nothing to block mods, cheats, game file editors, and other forms of game editing, so you can still sequence-break all you want if you really feel that strongly about having better gear than the boss was intended to be fought with. If he was making an effort to block that stuff too, maybe then you'd have room to complain, but as things are he just fixes ingame exploits while leaving the game wide-open to outside utilities.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cicadalek posted:

The only gating that has ever bothered me was putting locks on the sky chests. Sure, you could immediately rush them by building a skyway, but none of the items really broke progression in any way. As it stands, the two damage items are immediately made redundant by stuff from the dungeon which you are guaranteed to have already looted.

For what its worth those got unlocked again when sky islands got their 1.2 makeover.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

You know what else is lame? The first level of Contra. Why do I have to run right? That's no fun and doesn't support my personal playstyle, I want to sit in one place and shoot an immobile boss whilst endlessly respawning. Why didn't the developers think of people like me? There's no way that title will ever be a classic because it caters to a very specific niche that is obviously a niche because I am not a part of it!

lmbo look at this dumb post

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

When this game was first released, I dug down to hell almost immediately because going down seemed like the most logical thing to do. Within a few hours I'd pretty much beaten the game, and all the content between "just starting" and "having the best armor possible" may as well have not existed. It was pretty dumb. Some linearity is okay by me.

Main things in this game that are bullshit are the moon event timers, and some of the insanely low drop rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think terraria on release was all sorts of messed up so it might not be the best comparison. the most powerful weapon being the 40 power sun flail that the bone snakes in hell dropped is a far cry compared to now.

• Locked thread