Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mewse posted:

You might be a sexual deviant if you consider rape cop shoving the lollipop in beth's mouth the only "awesomeness" of the episode

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Who was Beth gonna murder with the needle before she saw Carol?

Iirc they briefly mentioned that the stairwells are cleared out, so why didn't they try their daring escape through there instead of a corpse dump cellar? Sure the guy got groped through the elevator doors but I'm thinking whatever walkers are there are less of an issue than a super dark cellar that you don't know the layout for.

There probably was some sorta fire escape somewhere too.

I'm thinking the guy who was all fudged up probably didn't get too far after he got out the hospital backyard. Guessing it'll all tie into darryl/carol scenario somehow.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

What was subtle was that they were ALL rape cops. It was a predatory culture that exploited their "wards" in every way, and the alpha ward was willing to murder when his place at the top of the bottom was threatened.

It was an interesting episode. A lot happened, and revealed lot about the TWD world. But it was also a lot more mature than the show has been, and I entirely understand how that change in tone could be off-putting.
I like the story you're telling - well, as much as one can "like" the idea of a 'rape-based economy' (I mean, I can imagine that would have been an interesting story to tell) - but that's not the story the show told to me (when I was still paying attention). When Rape Cop shows up to creep up on Beth (while she's getting the food), he's not painted as a part of the system, but as a creepy individual.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 3, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gortarius posted:

Who was Beth gonna murder with the needle before she saw Carol?

The doctor who pretended to be her friend and tricked her into murdering someone.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Lycus posted:

The doctor who pretended to be her friend and tricked her into murdering someone.

Beth clearly doesn't think things through

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The head cop is pretty stupid to just put Beth back to work after a bit of a beatdown. Maybe re-evaluate your opinion on whether or not she's dangerous after she took out the rape cop and used his gun to score like 15 perfect head shots on her way out. She wasn't even kept away from potential weapons as she was about to murder the doctor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

And that's really the story that was told, but you had to actively watch and piece different character's dialogue together to figure out what was happening.

If you thought he was the only rapist, like a lot of people seemed to, the episode loses a lot. But a lot of things get extra creepy in the actual context. Noah being more desirable than his father, and then less desirable than Beth, for example.

The other cops ignored a wounded, hobbling-away slave to capture an armed girl. They're all in on it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Maybe re-evaluate your opinion on whether or not she's dangerous after she took out the rape cop and used his gun to score like 15 perfect head shots on her way out..

Surely that should've earned Beth a badge.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 3, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

And that's really the story that was told, but you had to actively watch and piece different character's dialogue together to figure out what was happening.

If you thought he was the only rapist, like a lot of people seemed to, the episode loses a lot. But a lot of things get extra creepy in the actual context. Noah being more desirable than his father, and then less desirable than Beth, for example.

The other cops ignored a wounded, hobbling-away slave to capture an armed girl. They're all in on it.
So they've hidden a good story inside a bad story?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They told a good story quietly.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Also remember the other patient girl that slammed her door shut, and the girl they hunted down, recaptured, and then cut the arm off of to give back to her rapist(s). The greater good/keeping people alive is the lie the head cop tells herself/the slaves when they're really just the same as the gang that imprisoned the terminus people except with cleaner clothes.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Did anyone think about how if they notice a lollipop is missing they might also notice one of the slaves keeping a big bunch of supplies in his room or hidden somewhere? People who obsessively add up every bit of food eaten or handed out? Would it really have made you feel a lot better if he had a backpack on him when he fell down the elevator shaft? What I think is cooler is the girl who killed herself did so in Dawn's office. It's like the zombie version of a suicide bomber.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was cool for those couple pages when we discussed the show.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

They told a good story quietly.
Let's see if I like it more if I watch it a second time. For now, I'll remember it as a decent idea executed poorly.
I definitely liked two things: the scene where Beth is awestruck by a guy mopping the floor (also a nice mirror of that time when Rick woke up in a hospital), and Walking Dead's take on a suicide bomb*.

Also: I felt the backlash for criticism of this episode was strangely personal. If you didn't like it, it was because you're a goony goon who only likes flashy action and can't appreciate deep nuanced story telling. I don't think that's necessary.

*: e:f,b again

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They are just trying to work up how great and nice the next home they find is. Please its been like 2 years since all the zombies started how the gently caress do they actually thing everything is gonna just go back to normal when they go on slave runs.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
It will be interesting to see if Carol assesses the situation fairly quickly and reverts to acting as 'old' Carol-- using her weak, abused persona until she finds the right moment to be her new self again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Svanja posted:

It will be interesting to see if Carol assesses the situation fairly quickly and reverts to acting as 'old' Carol-- using her weak, abused persona until she finds the right moment to be her new self again.

I want it to just smash cut to her and Beth just walking out of the hospital. We all know what will have happened.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

mewse posted:

You might be a sexual deviant if you consider rape cop shoving the lollipop in beth's mouth the only "awesomeness" of the episode

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's just sex.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
On the one hand I wish they'd leaned on the rape cop angle a little less hard. There are plenty of other reasons to want to break out, the entire setup is pretty terrible and they actually did a good job of dropping hints and building it up. On the other hand I bet that if they'd left that out a whole lot of viewers would have looked at the arrangement and thought 'yeah that seems totally reasonable'.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Beth should just hook up with the head lady rape cop. And then murder everyone.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
This probably seems like a minor nitpick but skulls seem too easy to stab through in this show. I'm sure stabbing a year-old rotting zombie corpse through the skull is pretty easy, but when you've got a fresh corpse it shouldn't be that easy to stab through the side of a quarter inch of one of the hardest bones in your body. Rick's group and rape cop group both do it.

In a medical setting I feel like it would be much easier to go through the eye socket with a lobotomy-type tool, or through the back where there's an opening between the spine to destroy the brain.

I've thought about this a lot.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Trust me you're not the only one. And don't get me started on how many heads could be cut off with the stupid sword before its broken. Oh god I just went full goon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't know. I enjoyed the ep. As someone mentioned or maybe alluded to, the story is not about zombies, it's about humanity left to it's own devices WROL. That by very defn is going to be about the clashing of various groups with opposing motivations/needs. It's kind of BSG and space, the zombies are just a backdrop to a character driven story. We already saw from the governor saga that having the same antagonist for like 2 seasons is boring as gently caress. I personally think the pacing of this season has been nice, especially given poo poo like the farm. Anyway, I think the show title is more descriptive of the living characters than the actual zombies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry if it looked like I was trying to lecture or singling you out Cingulate; You mentioned points that went to what I wanted to discuss so I quoted you but mostly I'm just talking about the show.

This season has been much more even with back-story and interesting secondary characters. If a show is going to last, it's going to need to grow - and this season has been much more "for adults" than previous ones. A lot of stories fall apart with even a little bit of scrutiny, but a good one rewards analysis. This doesn't mean you can't have fun watching something stupid - but there's a reason people still love Twin Peaks 25 years later, while you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who still gives a gently caress about Lost.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

imperialparadox posted:

I kind of want to have an episode where the opposite happens:

What if Rick's group found a place that was legitimately full of nice people that had a good setup, but those people decided that Rick's group was too risky/evil and turned them away. What would happen then? Bonus points if this is during a time when Rick's group is low on supplies and really needs the help.

If they get to D.C., I bet this will literally happen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All the abuse that female cop is giving Beth, gonna be a really big pay off when Carol shivs her in the throat.

Might be a better pay off then Rick machete murdering Garth.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lycus posted:

Who also had apparently claimed Beth as his .

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Not many giffable moments this episode. Episode sucked, didn't have Eugene in it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That's what happens when people get into air battles. Sometimes they connect.

RIP Rape Cop you were bad at air battling

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know. I enjoyed the ep. As someone mentioned or maybe alluded to, the story is not about zombies, it's about humanity left to it's own devices WROL. That by very defn is going to be about the clashing of various groups with opposing motivations/needs. It's kind of BSG and space, the zombies are just a backdrop to a character driven story. We already saw from the governor saga that having the same antagonist for like 2 seasons is boring as gently caress. I personally think the pacing of this season has been nice, especially given poo poo like the farm. Anyway, I think the show title is more descriptive of the living characters than the actual zombies.

Yeah the show has been doing that since day one. Problem is you can only visit that well so many times before it becomes stale.

There's no direction here - it's just a series of bad-guy of the week episodes.

Harald fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 4, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SaltLick posted:

That's what happens when people get into air battles. Sometimes they connect.

RIP Rape Cop you were bad at air battling

The final season twist is, KP ended up having the cure for the disease all along, he just withheld that poo poo from dumb mother fuckers like everyone that isn't him.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

RBA Starblade posted:

I want it to just smash cut to her and Beth just walking out of the hospital. We all know what will have happened.

I like to imagine a Bad Boys-style ending with the two of them all sweaty with a few scrapes walking toward the camera completely unphased by the exploding hospital behind them.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was expecting/hoping for a knowing wink out of Carol at the end of the episode.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Not many giffable moments this episode. Episode sucked, didn't have Eugene in it.

Please tell me there is a gif of Eugene running. Because I love it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked this episode more than the Terminus ones and this thread is still really bad. We really do need "maybe I should rewatch" as the thread title again but the current one sums it up pretty well too.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I like to imagine a Bad Boys-style ending with the two of them all sweaty with a few scrapes walking toward the camera completely unphased by the exploding hospital behind them.

They somehow lure all zombies on the continent to Atlanta. Then there is that scene from Terminator 2 with zombie Sarah Conner banging on the gate where a bunch of zombie kids are. Then fire. Holy poo poo I would pay so much for that scene.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's strange to me that Carol is a badass warrior princess, but here we are. Didn't see that coming from S1 Carol, tell you that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Svanja posted:

Please tell me there is a gif of Eugene running. Because I love it.

Eugene is the best

moist turtleneck posted:

The savior of the universe

mewse
May 2, 2006

Surlaw posted:

I liked this episode more than the Terminus ones and this thread is still really bad. We really do need "maybe I should rewatch" as the thread title again but the current one sums it up pretty well too.

The Terminus villains were more interesting to me than the Hospital of Rape and Unpaid Debts. They were intelligent and tenacious and seemed to represent what Rick's group would be if they completely discarded their moral compasses. By fighting to eat, they had clearer motivations than the governor, daryl's brother, or queen cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm pretty sure Merle was the best.

• Locked thread