Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm on vacation visiting a friend and she just bought a Vitamix and hasn't really used it yet. Since I wouldn't pay the premium for one I'm sure as hell gonna use it while I can (and hopefully not change my mind about buying one… maybe). What are some "fun" things to make? Does anyone have s nice vegetable/fruit juice/smoothie recipe or idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

The stock was split up into lots of little tupperware/rubbermade dishes for chilling, not the whole pot. And a bit in the freezer part of the home fridge/freezer up top combo.

And I'm talking about skimming the chilled fat, aka shmaltz, which is impossible while the hot water is moving. Not skimming the scum during the process, unless that's most of the fat in which case I blew it.

I wish I had bought some dried ice, just drop that in, have a spooky moment, and then proceed as normal.

i suppose if youre working with a small quantity it would indeed be difficult to effectively ladle the fat out of a working pot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

I've got a topside of beef roast to cook and usually I follow a timing guide for getting it right, but its a bit of an odd shape for the size so I just want to sear it then roast at 160C. What temperature should I be aiming for when I take it out? Aiming for medium/medium rare

Pull it out about 10 degrees less than what you want it to end up at. Maybe 15 degrees if it's a bit bigger in size.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 2, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm on vacation visiting a friend and she just bought a Vitamix and hasn't really used it yet. Since I wouldn't pay the premium for one I'm sure as hell gonna use it while I can (and hopefully not change my mind about buying one… maybe). What are some "fun" things to make? Does anyone have s nice vegetable/fruit juice/smoothie recipe or idea?

It makes nut butters.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Peel and slice a banana into inch ish long pieces. Freeze. Blend into ice cream.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Peel and slice a banana into inch ish long pieces. Freeze. Blend into ice cream.

Good lord. Using frozen Banana makes the best ice cream - adding other things to it is just frosting on a cake.

Stir in some peanut butter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where's the box, it comes with a recipe book.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/vitamix/2816873

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

What can I do with dried rice cakes other than stir-fry? They were pretty good and filling, and I'll probably put them in stir fry again, just wondering what more I can get out of them.

These kind, for reference.

I've seen them in soup, but imagine that you have to eat them right away else risk the texture becoming awful. My grandmother used to like them like that, but I prefer them stir fried.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think they're pretty sturdy in soup actually. I used to have it in Korean soups pretty often

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOL, my GF the VitaMix Enthusiast was a little upset when I showed her this.

"Well, in the year before I bought my VitaMix, I burned out $100 worth of blenders. Haven't spent a dime since then!"

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

So, is this SNL now? That was so awful and hard to watch. Haven't seen the show in 2 years so that is a pretty surprising to see.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

So, is this SNL now? That was so awful and hard to watch. Haven't seen the show in 2 years so that is a pretty surprising to see.

:siren: Vitamix owner spotted.

:v: In reality I don't know. I don't really watch it. A friend of mine who bought a vitamix sent me that clip recently though and we thought it was funny.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

a worthy uhh posted:

It makes nut butters.

Huh?

Oh.

dino. posted:

That was the first thing I tried. It was tasty.

Anyway this blender is pretty nice. The only thing is (other than the price) that the bottom part doesn't detach so I would imagine making nut butters would be annoying because of having to scoop it out without being able to remove the blade. We also made a few soups with it and that's really cool. I'm curious though if a blended together soup can taste as good as a soup that's been cooked longer since it doesn't have much time for flavors to extract or whatever? Probably doesn't get hot enough either.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 3, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Any recommendations for a good go-to Mexican cookbook? I'm not looking for anything too Thomas Keller, but I want to dig in a little more than just, like, fajitas. Vegetarian-friendly stuff preferred but not required, I cook mostly meatless but am not actually a vegetarian. I skimmed the Mexican food thread and will continue to do so, but I like actual cookbooks.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm curious though if a blended together soup can taste as good as a soup that's been cooked longer since it doesn't have much time for flavors to extract or whatever? Probably doesn't get hot enough either.

If that's a thing you're worried about, cook it longer before blending. I imagine the longer you cook it the smoother it will be anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh?

Oh.

That was the first thing I tried. It was tasty.

Anyway this blender is pretty nice. The only thing is (other than the price) that the bottom part doesn't detach so I would imagine making nut butters would be annoying because of having to scoop it out without being able to remove the blade. We also made a few soups with it and that's really cool. I'm curious though if a blended together soup can taste as good as a soup that's been cooked longer since it doesn't have much time for flavors to extract or whatever? Probably doesn't get hot enough either.

I've only tried it once with my vitamix but it does have a soup setting that blends the poo poo out of it and gets it really hot.

That said, it's not sufficient to make a soup that involves raw onions because they definitely came through on the soup with RAW ONION flavor and smell.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Nut butters aren't a comedy gimmick. Heard of an obscure comestible called peanut butter? Well, turns out you can make something similar with things other than peanuts---including true nuts an a number of seeds.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Nut butters aren't a comedy gimmick. Heard of an obscure comestible called peanut butter? Well, turns out you can make something similar with things other than peanuts---including true nuts an a number of seeds.

My friend with a vitamix makes almond butter all the time when the big tubs of them go on sale at costco. It's pretty good stuff.

Sunflowers are also cheap and make good butter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

guppy posted:

Any recommendations for a good go-to Mexican cookbook? I'm not looking for anything too Thomas Keller, but I want to dig in a little more than just, like, fajitas. Vegetarian-friendly stuff preferred but not required, I cook mostly meatless but am not actually a vegetarian. I skimmed the Mexican food thread and will continue to do so, but I like actual cookbooks.

The Bayless book is good, but if you really want to buy something fun check out Gran Cocina Latina by Maricel Presilla. It's a pan-Latin American cookbook, but it's fantastic.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Bayless book is good, but if you really want to buy something fun check out Gran Cocina Latina by Maricel Presilla. It's a pan-Latin American cookbook, but it's fantastic.

Thank you!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm looking for just a basic meat with roasted/stewed vegetables that I can easily make in the next 2 hours or so. Maybe some Japanese curry or a beef stew?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Key wat? It's like doro wat but with beef

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

goodness posted:

I'm looking for just a basic meat with roasted/stewed vegetables that I can easily make in the next 2 hours or so. Maybe some Japanese curry or a beef stew?

I would typically take longer to make stews/roasts myself, preferably in a slow cooker, so I'm actually curious about what suggestions you get. I didn't realize I had such a reliance on my slow cooker for stews. I can make a chili or curry in a pot no problem (though I would also usually take more than 2 hours to cook them), but blanked on the thought of a fast stew.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Comic posted:

I would typically take longer to make stews/roasts myself, preferably in a slow cooker, so I'm actually curious about what suggestions you get. I didn't realize I had such a reliance on my slow cooker for stews. I can make a chili or curry in a pot no problem (though I would also usually take more than 2 hours to cook them), but blanked on the thought of a fast stew.

Yeah I really just want something hearty, warm. A bunch of vegetables, liquid and meat. Didn't have anything off the top of my head that does not take longer than an hour or two unfortunately.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can make beef stew in a pressure cooker that fast.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

Or any other stew or braise for that matter.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

goodness posted:

Yeah I really just want something hearty, warm. A bunch of vegetables, liquid and meat. Didn't have anything off the top of my head that does not take longer than an hour or two unfortunately.

I'm currently making sausages and onions with gravy.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My Squadrons Christmas party is coming up and I need to start working on a holiday baked good idea for the parties dessert competition. The last few years the commander had been the sole judge, this year we are doing a blind taste test for a panel of 5, so presentation is not going to be a factor this time. I was
thinking of a egg nog bread pudding, making the nog and bread too, but what other ideas are out there for a traditional Christmas dessert that is loaded with flavor for the blind taste test? I love a good fruit cake but I am not sure how will that will go over.

There is also a $300 prize for the competition and I'm tired of coming in second.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Rythe posted:

My Squadrons Christmas party is coming up and I need to start working on a holiday baked good idea for the parties dessert competition. The last few years the commander had been the sole judge, this year we are doing a blind taste test for a panel of 5, so presentation is not going to be a factor this time. I was
thinking of a egg nog bread pudding, making the nog and bread too, but what other ideas are out there for a traditional Christmas dessert that is loaded with flavor for the blind taste test? I love a good fruit cake but I am not sure how will that will go over.

There is also a $300 prize for the competition and I'm tired of coming in second.

Are you thinking the blind taste test literally means they are blinded? That would be hard to eat without being able to see the plate. Usually when they say that it means the judges don't know whose dish is whose.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got a rotisserie seasoned turkey breast and acorn squash to roast for dinner.
I was going to halve the acorn squash and butter/brown sugar it.
I'm at work and don't have my flavor bible to see what vegetable pairs with both of the above items.

What other veg/starch should I use tonight? I want to just throw it all in the oven/low effort cooking (hence the asking here vs going home then back out to the grocery)
I'm debating broccoli or Brussels sprouts and maybe some white rice (because rice cooker) or a baked potato perhaps?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toplitzin posted:

I've got a rotisserie seasoned turkey breast and acorn squash to roast for dinner.
I was going to halve the acorn squash and butter/brown sugar it.
I'm at work and don't have my flavor bible to see what vegetable pairs with both of the above items.

What other veg/starch should I use tonight? I want to just throw it all in the oven/low effort cooking (hence the asking here vs going home then back out to the grocery)
I'm debating broccoli or Brussels sprouts and maybe some white rice (because rice cooker) or a baked potato perhaps?

Buttered peas would work or some blanched snow peas. Or as you said broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Some roast green beans would also work. I think baked potato along with the squash would be a bit much on the starches for a single meal personally. I'd want to just fall asleep after eating that but its your preference.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Growing up, this is the only way my mom ever made beef stew. You can use cheap rear end meat in it and it comes out soft and yummy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I eat a salad for lunch everyday at work. Is there any functional difference between eating a salad vs blending said salad into a smoothie and drinking it? Cause I work through my lunch and if I can just drink my lunch that would be amazing and save me approximately a few minutes every day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I eat a salad for lunch everyday at work. Is there any functional difference between eating a salad vs blending said salad into a smoothie and drinking it? Cause I work through my lunch and if I can just drink my lunch that would be amazing and save me approximately a few minutes every day.

Basically this is Gazpacho. If you like the taste then cool. Blended vs not doesn't really change the nutritional properties of the salad in any way that I can imagine.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I put some chicken breasts in a jerk marinade yesterday at around 3pm, had planned on cooking them for dinner but ended up not cooking them. Today I've been slow roasting a brisket. The marinade says to let it sit for an hour to 24 hours. Is it bad if I leave it in the marinade until Thursday?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

yoohoo posted:

I put some chicken breasts in a jerk marinade yesterday at around 3pm, had planned on cooking them for dinner but ended up not cooking them. Today I've been slow roasting a brisket. The marinade says to let it sit for an hour to 24 hours. Is it bad if I leave it in the marinade until Thursday?

I dont know poo poo overall so ignore me if people with real knowledge jump in but in my experiences:

If the marinade is very acidic (or maybe salty as well?) you'll get some very very tender meat, that will be hard to handle and might fall apart on a hot grill. If it's a particularly strong flavor that you'd rather not have overpowering the taste of the chicken it's self, or other components of the dish, you'll have an issue with that too. Otherwise there's no issues and it'll be fine. I had some chicken recently I ended up marinating for about 56 hours that I had planned on grilling, ended up having to stir fry it because the thin pieces weren't going to work on the grill, but it was still delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

yoohoo posted:

As KettleWL said, as long as the marinade isn't too acidic, it'll be just fine. Even if it is too acidic and the outer layers of the chicken get denatured (basically chemically cooked), it will affect only the texture of the finished cooked product, but not the flavor so if you can get past that, you'll be fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it were me, I'd pull it out of the marinade tonight and bag it up for other cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If it were me, I'd pull it out of the marinade tonight and bag it up for other cooking.

Thanks for the replies, I took it out of the marinade and re-bagged it. Still together in one solid piece, smelling oh so delicious.