Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Thump! posted:

It's a real shame that people like LCK, Dave Chappelle, and Chris Rock had to stop doing those bits they were famous for and backpedal on their stuff, mostly because it was legitimately funny. Fuckin' racists will use that poo poo for justifications like its cool.

Yeah, I'd love it if America could recognize that making a joke about something or laughing at a joke about something doesn't mean you've immediately endorsed it. There's a lot of jokes that are so awful I wouldn't repeat them in 99% of company, but are still really funny. Or racist jokes that work just based on the structure and format that get me. Laughing is an automatic reaction for most people, more automatic than the process of evaluating whether or not something was disparaging to a group of people on a level that you shouldn't approve.

I wouldn't blame anyone for starting to wonder or wanting to know more out of concern, but as it is right now Louis CK can explain himself for 5 straight minutes after saying "dang it feels good to say fag" and people still think the point is that he's a homophobe.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Eddie Murphy's delirious is hilariously dated by "human being" jokes. It's pretty jarring looking back on the '90's Andrew Dice Clay era of comedy.

I tried watching Eddie Murphy and Sam Kinison's stuff the other day and, wow, they really haven't aged well. I honestly sat back and thought to myself, "how much was a shithead was I that I thought this stuff was witty and clever and not just mainstream hate-speech?"

George Carlin, at least, is ageless. Even his most offensive stuff is so written that it's like poetry, and even through the bile and cynicism you can hear the true meaning, the implied appeal to goodness written invisibly between the lines of raw, unalloyed vitriol. I loving love George Carlin.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's a lot not notice you're being, or get away with being, a major shithead to a minority group when they're effectively invisible and their advocates are too busy making sure people don't literally murder them rather than making sure no one calls them mean names.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Comedy rarely ages well.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Comedy rarely ages well.

Why you little! *holds your nose, somehow hits self in head with a mallet*

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hearing Louis CK call a deer a "friend of the family oval office human being deer!" doesn't strike me as him seriously hating blacks, gays, or women; moreso its supposed to illicit humor from the sheer shock value of three very hateful slurs bundled together and hurled at an animal.

Alas, my racist uncle thinks it's hilarious and continues to hate blacks and gays, while loving LCK :smith:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

Comedy rarely ages well.

A hospital? What is it?

A big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

comes along bort posted:

A hospital? What is it?

A big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Some of Airplane!'s jokes are dated, but as per your example, the vast majority of it holds up ridiculously well .

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Any movie with Leslie Nielsen is automatically a timeless classic.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Wales Grey posted:

Any movie with Leslie Nielsen is automatically a timeless classic.

Counterpoints: Scary Movie 4, An American Carol, and Surf Ninjas.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Referential humor ages ridiculously quickly. Humor that is based in broader concepts tends to hold up for a much longer time.

Right-wing media ages even faster than referential humor.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Flobbster posted:

Reading posts about goons' conservative/racist parents makes me thankful I grew up in a house with a liberal artist dad and hippie mom. And yet, somehow I never rebelled and became a conservative douche or libertarian MRA manchild, even though the statistics all point to that. I need to bottle whatever my parents did right raising me and make sure I'm able to do the same for my future children.
Take it from someone with two liberal artist parents, the secret is called "empathy" and we're full of it from birth. People who become conservative or libertarian had it siphoned off.

Screaming Idiot posted:

George Carlin, at least, is ageless. Even his most offensive stuff is so written that it's like poetry, and even through the bile and cynicism you can hear the true meaning, the implied appeal to goodness written invisibly between the lines of raw, unalloyed vitriol. I loving love George Carlin.

I think that's because George Carlin was a nice person who simply hated stupidity. I don't really know what Eddie Murphy was, but he mainly did voices and faces.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 3, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Technogeek posted:

Surf Ninjas.

Get the gently caress outta Dodge

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone suggest some free documentaries on the right-wing of American politics? As a Canadian planning to live in America for a few years at least I'm trying to get a better idea of just how crazy it gets.
Those clips from Charlie Brooker and the Newsroom are posted a lot but in the unlikely even you haven't seen them they might be a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_amyJCLmMY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGAvwSp86hY

Also, have any of the usual suspects gotten publicly upset about that Android commercial with the two dudes getting engaged? It's been running for several weeks now and I haven't heard anything in here about it, so I'm guessing the RWM is somehow self-aware enough to realize it was a direct attempt to troll conservatives and bigots so they're leaving it alone.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

I think that's because George Carlin was a nice person who simply hated stupidity. I don't really know what Eddie Murphy was, but he mainly did voices and faces.

The thing to remember about Carlin is that he was a jaded, bitter old ex-hippie when he was old. In a lot of ways he represented the dead hope that the 1960's would usher in world peace, free love, and everything would be perfect forever. If you look at his performances they get increasingly cynical as he gets older to the point that, when he was a few years away from death, he just flat out quit telling jokes and spewed forth 100% correct social criticism. Which was why people kept watching them. He knew every single reason the world was hosed and explained it in such a perfect way you really couldn't disagree with him. He's so timeless because so many of his quotes still resonate as true.

quote:

I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.

quote:

Birth control pills are still on prescription. You still need a note to get laid.

quote:

Don't give your money to the church. They should be giving their money to you.

quote:

It's the old American Double Standard, ya know: Say one thing, do somethin' different. And of course this country is founded on the double standard, that's our history! We were founded on a very basic double standard: This country was founded by slave owners who wanted to be free.

quote:

Actually, I don't care, I drink it anyway. You know why? 'Cause I'm an American and I expect a little cancer in my food and water. I'm a loyal American and I'm not happy unless I let government and industry poison me a little bit every day.

quote:

Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. You see all, sooner or later. Sooner or later, the people in this country are gonna realize the government does not give a gently caress about them! The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. It simply does not give a gently caress about you! It's interested in its own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.

quote:

I don't understand why prostitution is illegal. Selling is legal. loving is legal. Why isn't selling loving legal? You know, why should it be illegal to sell something that's perfectly legal to give away? I can't follow the logic on that one at all! Of all the things you can do, giving someone an orgasm is hardly the worst thing in the world. In the army they give you a medal for spraying napalm on people! In civilian life you go to jail for giving someone an orgasm! Maybe I'm not supposed to understand it...

That dude is going to be quoted for a long, long time.

edit: Probably my favorite.

quote:

Dear Political Activists,
All your chanting, marching, voting, picketing, boycotting and letter-writing will not change a thing; you will never right the wrongs of this world. The only thing your activity will accomplish is to make some of you feel better. Such activity makes powerless people feel useful, and provides them the illusion that they're making a difference. But it doesn't work. Nothing changes. The powerful keep the power. That's why they're called the powerful.
This is similar to people's belief that love can overcome everything, that it has some special power. It doesn't. Except one on one. One on one, love is incredibly powerful. It is a beautiful thing. But if love had any power to change the world, it would have prevailed by now. Love can't change the world. It's nice. It's pleasant. It's better than hate. But it has no special power over things. It just feels good. Love yourself, find another person to love and feel good.
Love, George

It's :smith: and :3: at the same time.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Hazo posted:

Also, have any of the usual suspects gotten publicly upset about that Android commercial with the two dudes getting engaged? It's been running for several weeks now and I haven't heard anything in here about it, so I'm guessing the RWM is somehow self-aware enough to realize it was a direct attempt to troll conservatives and bigots so they're leaving it alone.

Trolling RWM with gay people doesn't quite work because even if they know what's going on it doesn't really change the fact that they make their money by racing to be the first and loudest to clutch their pearls in front of people who really do care.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Thump! posted:

"friend of the family oval office human being deer!"
it's sad how many people are trying to copy pewdiepie's shtick.
Anyway, I guess it turns out some people take turning slurs into silly punchlines as tacit approval of their use. Oops.

Hazo posted:

Also, have any of the usual suspects gotten publicly upset about that Android commercial with the two dudes getting engaged?

I tried looking it up on Youtube and

probably a troll but still posted:

yes, im [a homophobe]) Whats the problem? Faggots its digusting, really) In Russia doesent loves gays and other freaks) We loves woman with good tities, beer and other interesting things! And Hates Putin.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
But if you truly hated Putin you would love gay people.

And I mean really love them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Technogeek posted:

Surf Ninjas.

Seconding the "You best not be talking poo poo about Surf Ninjas" sentiment.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Republicans posted:

Seconding the "You best not be talking poo poo about Surf Ninjas" sentiment.

As a proud Game Gear(tm) owner, I am obligated to love this movie.

And I do. Boy howdy I do.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

aBagorn posted:

As a proud Game Gear(tm) owner, I am obligated to love this movie.

And I do. Boy howdy I do.

I went through six-packs of AA batteries at the same rate as the rest of you, but seriously, that movie is up there on the "childhood nostalgia you REALLY don't want to relive" list.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

aBagorn posted:

Some of Airplane!'s jokes are dated, but as per your example, the vast majority of it holds up ridiculously well .

Best example of what has not aged well:

The old guy in the cab. Back then it was hilarious. For a reason that ties in with this thread.

Any youngsters know it without asking an older person or checking it online?

BTW, sat through it twice in a row opening night.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just off my dome (young people speak) I'm gonna guess it was an Ayatollah joke

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just off my dome (young people speak) I'm gonna guess it was an Ayatollah joke

Nope.

Not even close.

But thanks for playing!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Didn't he just sit in the taxi waiting for Stryker to come back. I think he made a comment about waiting another half hour.

Doesn't make sense in a Post-Uber world.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Eddie Murphy's delirious is hilariously dated by "human being" jokes. It's pretty jarring looking back on the '90's Andrew Dice Clay era of comedy.

I tried watching this for the first time the other day, and had to turn it off after the first 20 minutes consisted entirely of "gays can't stop having sex and have AIDS, lol!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Trolling RWM with gay people doesn't quite work because even if they know what's going on it doesn't really change the fact that they make their money by racing to be the first and loudest to clutch their pearls in front of people who really do care.
Seems like if this were the case then the usual blowhards would be talking about it then.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Goatman Sacks posted:

I tried watching this for the first time the other day, and had to turn it off after the first 20 minutes consisted entirely of "gays can't stop having sex and have AIDS, lol!"

Did you get to the "human being rear end human being" bit or was that in Raw...?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Hazo posted:

Seems like if this were the case then the usual blowhards would be talking about it then.

Election is sucking the air out of the room, and then on top of that there's bigger news in the GAY SMARTPHONE department...but I would still be shocked if you didn't see Todd Starnes mention it by the end of the week.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i am harry posted:

Take it from someone with two liberal artist parents, the secret is called "empathy" and we're full of it from birth. People who become conservative or libertarian had it siphoned off.

Hey now. Empathy's not mandatory to be leftish, it just helps.

There are plenty of practical, logical ways to arrive at "maybe the poor shouldn't be burned for fuel".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress the haters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2A194yTWoQ

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If you have Netflix and want to hate Texas conservatives, watch The Revisionaries. Texas determines what textbooks schools use and this documentary is about how insane the textbook revisions are and why the deck is stacked for republicans.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Republicans were right! The schools are indoctrinating our children.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's :smith: and :3: at the same time.

That's George Carlin in a nutshell, man. He was a genius, a philosopher, and the funniest, most depressing comic to ever live. Some people say that about Richard Pryor, but his work even at its darkest held hope and revealed a lighter, but not really softer side. Carlin's work didn't show any lighter side -- it reveled in the darkest, most disgusting humanity had to offer even as it thoroughly condemned it. The hope in Carlin's work had to originate from the listener, as though he was saying "Here's the problem; you solve it!"

I think way too hard about stand-up comics. :smith:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hey now. Empathy's not mandatory to be leftish, it just helps.

There are plenty of practical, logical ways to arrive at "maybe the poor shouldn't be burned for fuel".

This is probably hyperbolic, but my experience has been that almost every single thing in the republican platform stems from a lack of empathy.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Screaming Idiot posted:

You do, but i would unironically love a write-up about Bill Hicks written in the same manner.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Prester John posted:

You do, but i would unironically love a write-up about Bill Hicks written in the same manner.

I regret that I've not listened to Hicks' material, but I'd sorely love to -- I've heard some of my favorite comedians go on about Hicks' wit and ability to get a message across while remaining sharp and funny.

I firmly believe stand-up comedy is a great way to gauge the general "feel" of a decade. You can learn a lot from from what people find funny; for example, most conservative humor is whining about good old days that never really existed while mocking anything that isn't traditionally white, male, and Christian.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's George Carlin in a nutshell, man. He was a genius, a philosopher, and the funniest, most depressing comic to ever live. Some people say that about Richard Pryor, but his work even at its darkest held hope and revealed a lighter, but not really softer side. Carlin's work didn't show any lighter side -- it reveled in the darkest, most disgusting humanity had to offer even as it thoroughly condemned it. The hope in Carlin's work had to originate from the listener, as though he was saying "Here's the problem; you solve it!"

Nah, if you think a lot about the stuff Carlin said you're absolutely doing it right. That's really why he kept being famous after he quit telling jokes. He had this weird mix of cynicism, "hey we're all in this together, you know?," and "every human is a walking poo poo, including me." He didn't pull any punches and ran down all the reasons humans suck but wasn't really being all that judgmental about it because, hey, he sucked too. Aside from that when he talked about religion there was no "I have all the answers and everybody but me is wrong" but rather "I don't understand this poo poo at all. How can anybody possibly say they understand God?" He didn't have the answers and he knew it but under it all there was that attitude of "well we can fix this poo poo if we really want to but I'm not getting my hopes up because goddamn, look at us."

Like you said, it was heavy philosophical stuff and there was a guy who was way more observant than the rest of us. Plus he was one of the few people in the world that could see poo poo exactly as it is, no matter how ugly it was, and still laugh at it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Plus he was one of the few people in the world that could see poo poo exactly as it is, no matter how ugly it was, and still laugh at it.

Oh, he laughed all right, but I think it's because if he didn't he'd go mad. That's pretty much how I feel sometimes, anyway -- if I didn't laugh at what was going on with the world, with our country, with my life, I'd just huddle in a corner and cry and cry until there was nothing left.

I think I need to listen to "A Place for my Stuff" again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Screaming Idiot posted:

I regret that I've not listened to Hicks' material, but I'd sorely love to -- I've heard some of my favorite comedians go on about Hicks' wit and ability to get a message across while remaining sharp and funny.

I firmly believe stand-up comedy is a great way to gauge the general "feel" of a decade. You can learn a lot from from what people find funny; for example, most conservative humor is whining about good old days that never really existed while mocking anything that isn't traditionally white, male, and Christian.

In service of this and bringing a bit of levity to the thread, I offer this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J14O05N4g2A