Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It might be a technical issue.

They had even enabled the videos earlier, I checked when I got home from work and was able to watch stuff without VPN. That's been reversed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Kevin Dunn hates and punishes all Britlords by denying them access to the wrestling.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
The highest order of bullshit.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Boo, i hope its purely technical and not sky thowing a last minute thing at WWE which will neuter the network in the UK if its ever launched. (it won't its the new vade hansen)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I wonder if Sky pitched a fit or threw money at them.

I'm wondering if the Nov 3rd date was a bluff to get Sky back to the table?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If it was technical problems they would blame technical problems and say they're working on getting it up ASAP. This is a last minute pull in the hopes of getting a more lucrative deal from presumably Sky. I guess naming the date that they'd roll the network out was a bargaining tactic and it worked.

I can't even get mad any more, it's just funny how much they're loving this launch for anyone not tech-savvy enough to pay for a VPN.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm wondering if the Nov 3rd date was a bluff to get Sky back to the table?
It was literally working earlier this evening, I doubt they would have gone quite that far if it was just a bluff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

It was literally working earlier this evening, I doubt they would have gone quite that far if it was just a bluff

I'd accept that for any other company (except TNA), but WWE don't seem to realise that 'card subject to change' doesn't protect them from these kinds of moves. They may not owe anyone a refund, but it looks really, really bad. Once was iffy, twice is going to start costing them potential subscribers.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Sky probably realized they could be either in the deal and get some money, rather than the alternative of nothing.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Blasmeister posted:

I can't even get mad any more, it's just funny how much they're loving this launch for anyone not tech-savvy enough to pay for a VPN.

I think they are loving it for themselves as it will only turn people to streaming sites where you can watch all the WWE content for free.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Sky probably realized they could be either in the deal and get some money, rather than the alternative of nothing.

I don't understand how the Network wouldn't have been part of the negotiations for the new TV deal with Sky. I suppose maybe it was just 'sure, you can sell it on the internet', and then WWE changed their mind when Rogers ponied up the sackload of money in Canada.

EDIT: VV This would be why I can believe WWE would go so far as to turn off geoblocking and only announce going back on the date an hour beforehand.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Brought to you by the same people who created the XFL.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

I really hope we don't get a Sky Wrestlemans channel. gently caress that. I just want to be able to watch old PPVs on my TV instead of my PC without janitoring my router

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

I really hope we don't get a Sky Wrestlemans channel. gently caress that. I just want to be able to watch it on my TV instead of my PC without janitoring my router

If they do it as a TV channel, I guarantee it's a Sky Sports branded one. Hope you wanna pay £30 a month to see Bo Dallas in HD.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

If they do it as a TV channel, I guarantee it's a Sky Sports branded one. Hope you wanna pay £30 a month to see Bo Dallas in HD.
Much as I love Bo I will stick to the VPN.

Not that I'm terribly bothered, but how legal is it to access the Network this way? I assume it's fine, since the onus tends to be on the content provider to put appropriate region blocks on their content.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

projecthalaxy posted:

Kevin Dunn hates and punishes all Britlords by denying them access to the wrestling.
He hates them because even their teeth look nicer than his :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Much as I love Bo I will stick to the VPN.

Not that I'm terribly bothered, but how legal is it to access the Network this way? I assume it's fine, since the onus tends to be on the content provider to put appropriate region blocks on their content.

Legally I think all you're doing is breaching the contract with WWE by not being a resident of a territory the service is officially available in. They can cancel your account, but I doubt you'd be in any real trouble.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Whatever Sky ends up offering them it's going to end up with a worse service for UK fans than it would were they to offer what the US is getting, so it's going to be a disappointment for the fans as well as yet another delay so WWE can make more money despite driving away business

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Whatever Sky ends up offering them it's going to end up with a worse service for UK fans than it would were they to offer what the US is getting, so it's going to be a disappointment for the fans as well as yet another delay so WWE can make more money despite driving away business

I could maybe see them using the NowTV site as a portal for the US content, but at best we'll be getting the same service, at a higher price. At worst, it'll be a cut-down version of the service, that Sky will use as a selling point, so if you're with Virgin or someone else, you're hosed.

Fake-edit: I assume their logic at an executive level is probably that the only people who will have been paying enough attention to care are big enough fans and internet-savvy enough that they're either using a VPN already, or could do so if they wanted, so they're not losing any buyers.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Seeing how desperate Vince gets trying to sell the network to people is going to be far more entertaining than anything they'll actually put on it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On that note, there's a very small part of me that thinks this UK thing is someone saying to Vince: "Hey, it would make way more sense to launch it in the UK when we shoot Raw in the UK!", about 30 minutes before the 8pm deadline.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

It's even crazier when so much of the press around the UK launch mentions the free November for new subs deal. If they manage to miss that window and not make it up to customers by offering an equivalent deal later they're shooting themselves in the foot even further

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I didn't realize Raw was in the UK next week.

http://www.wwe.com/events

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

coconono posted:

I am super confused what keeps loving up the UK launch.

MONEY.

Specifically, Rupert murdochs money.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize Raw was in the UK next week.

http://www.wwe.com/events
If the Network isn't up and compleetly intact without Sky bullshit before then, the chants are going to be incredible.

And it may only be a house show, but I'm now super gutted to not be going to the Cardiff date. I've been at gigs in Wales when the crowd has gotten riled up before and it's hilarious/terrifying. Nobody knows how to utterly poo poo on something like drunk, pissy Welshmen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pressedbunny posted:

If the Network isn't up and compleetly intact without Sky bullshit before then, the chants are going to be incredible.

And it may only be a house show, but I'm now super gutted to not be going to the Cardiff date. I've been at gigs in Wales when the crowd has gotten riled up before and it's hilarious/terrifying. Nobody knows how to utterly poo poo on something like drunk, pissy Welshmen.

This assumes that people give a poo poo about the network enough to become riled up about it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pressedbunny posted:

The crowd will probably be tolerable, ASSUMING they take all mention of the Network out of promos, or keep them to pretapes. Obviously, considering this free November thing is their latest attempt to hook people, so they won't, but it'll be a really, really bad idea unless it's either up by then, or they announce it'll be available on Tuesday at the taping.

Not expecting chants, but heavy boos for any mention of the product they're trying to sell is unlikely to look good.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

MassRafTer posted:

This assumes that people give a poo poo about the network enough to become riled up about it.
It's Britain. If we can complain, we will.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

:fsmug:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kickin' rear end since 1776 and watchin' the network since March 2014 :911:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Observer posted:

"The WWE Network launch officially in the U.K. was called off at the last minute due to ongoing negotiations."

Sounds like Sky is ready to talk.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Daniel Bryan posted:

Sounds like Sky is ready to talk.

Holy poo poo, it really was a bluff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
(The) Brits screwed Brits.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, this isn't from Meltzer or one of the other more reputable sources, so take it with a pinch, but allegedly this was a last minute play by Sky saying WWE was breaching their new 9 figure deal.

I want to write it off as SCOOPZ, but I'll buy that WWE were dumb enough not to demand a clause in that deal to cover the Network's eventual launch.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
There's a Sheamus vs Rusev US Title Match on the Network after RAW tonight apparently?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Pet Rock Band posted:

There's a Sheamus vs Rusev US Title Match on the Network after RAW tonight apparently?

Not if you live in the UK. :allears:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Gaz-L posted:

OK, this isn't from Meltzer or one of the other more reputable sources, so take it with a pinch, but allegedly this was a last minute play by Sky saying WWE was breaching their new 9 figure deal.

I want to write it off as SCOOPZ, but I'll buy that WWE were dumb enough not to demand a clause in that deal to cover the Network's eventual launch.

Nine figures holy poo poo. I buy Sky getting pissed because Vince and Co wanted to play hardball. You can only say that you're going to launch something so many times before someone calls your bluff. They held their hand though which forced Sky to fold and "negotiate".

Well played.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

It seems crazy to me that neither side would have planned for the network launch when they signed this deal in the first place - WWE to be sure launching the network wouldn't violate the contract, or Sky not having planned ahead and made a deal with the already announced network in mind.

I'm a bit worried if Sky is pressuring WWE to close its current VPN loophole. To not only deny the US service to new subscribers but also people like me who've jumped through hoops for the privilege of paying WWE for its already availiable products.... ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

I'm a bit worried if Sky is pressuring WWE to close its current VPN loophole. To not only deny the US service to new subscribers but also people like me who've jumped through hoops for the privilege of paying WWE for its already availiable products.... ugh.

Could someone more technically-inclined comment on how easy/difficult this is to do? I ask because Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, MTV and loads of other US streaming services are either unwilling or unable to prevent access through VPN's.