Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Just came to post this. Business Insider seems to have it wrong, though, as it was the corporate organization ZEFS which had it installed that now took it down, not irate citizens with torches and pitchforks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Probably because like the elections forced at gunpoint in occupied Crimea, no one is going to recognize these fraudulent election in occupied Eastern Ukraine either. They created the ASCE because the OSCE refused to observe their elections that they know are bullshit.

Wait, they actually created an organization called the ASCE? That wasn't a joke?

Russia is approaching North Korea levels of farcical.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, they actually created an organization called the ASCE? That wasn't a joke?

Glorious NovoRossyia needs no homonnazi loving UN organization observing our completely free and fair elections! We have our own!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle21418834/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

The way this is going, I now fully expect our grandchildren to ask us at some point in the future why the third world war was called "The Gay Wars".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, ASCE was created on proposal from international "observers" from Eurasian Observatory of Democracy and Elections (EODE) run by the Belgian fascist Luc Michel and the European Centre for Geopolitical Analysis (ECGA) run by Polish far-right politician Mateusz Piskorski.

Source:
http://www.interpretermag.com/fake-monitors-observe-fake-elections-in-the-donbass/

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
That party list :eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Live stream of supposed fighting in Donetsk airport, quiet for time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NVJSWtQXRk

Also, :nws: :nms:, Bulgaria what the gently caress.

Edit. According to Russian TV, National Guard troops were promised homesteads and a pair of slaves each. :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsQloj4vOM

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I assume at this point Russian TV would report straight-faced that Ukrainian soldiers are actually all vampires infected by the CIA to hunger for Russian blood, then brush it off with a "u mad bro?"

Speaking of trying to retroactively claim you're trolling after being shown to be dumb, good work eigenstate for doing the leg-work to bury TeodorMorozov's post. I wish cutting his post apart would give him pause and cause him to question where he got this information, why people would be falsifying such stories and maybe realize the side spreading such hateful invective is not one he wants to be a part of, but we may have to settle for an implicit admission of defeat in the form of him never addressing the post or only saying "Hah, what an idiot for taking it seriously, I was just trolling you!"

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Reminds me of the list of people who observed the Crimea vote :eyepop:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kalstrams posted:

Yes, ASCE was created on proposal from international "observers" from Eurasian Observatory of Democracy and Elections (EODE) run by the Belgian fascist Luc Michel and the European Centre for Geopolitical Analysis (ECGA) run by Polish far-right politician Mateusz Piskorski.

Source:
http://www.interpretermag.com/fake-monitors-observe-fake-elections-in-the-donbass/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5NP0-iqtE

Slobodan Samardžija is a hack reporter a foreign policy analyst for Al Jazeera Balkans. He's... not exactly a stellar example of journalist profession.

Vladimir Kršljanin is a loud nobody. His organization is a bunch of right-wing conspiracy nuts.

Stevica Deđanski used to be a member of the Serbian Radical Party (closest US political spectrum comparison: Tea Party) Recently, he's been busy condemning extreme nationalism and calling ultranationalists 'useful idiots in service of foreign powers'

I am both surprised and not about seeing Vladimir Đukanović on that list. Surprised because the Progressive Party was smart enough so far to stay out of this mess (since, as the ruling party, they'd technically also represent Serbia). Not surprised because he's a notoriously corrupt rear end in a top hat involved in several scandals involving the national lottery, and this really does look like something he'd do.

By the way, I'm still planning to do a Serbian politics post, and explain how a center-right party like the Progressives ended up being a less crazy opition than the party that was in charge before they finally came to power. And how an alternative to the Progressives unfortunately failed to form in the aftermath of the election. It was and still is a bizarre situation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dolash posted:

I assume at this point Russian TV would report straight-faced that Ukrainian soldiers are actually all vampires infected by the CIA to hunger for Russian blood, then brush it off with a "u mad bro?"

Except they won't mention soldiers, but "Right Sector and National Guard", since that their side (which Russia only supports "morally", of course) is fighting servicemen from places like Mikolayiv, Dnipropetrovsk and Odessa runs counter the main propaganda narrative.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Thousands of Romanian expats protest in front of Romanian embassies because they were unable to vote.
http://www.euronews.com/2014/11/03/thousands-of-expats-unable-to-vote-in-romania-presidential-elections/

I see that actually as a healthy interest in the election. Croatian expats never cared that much about the elections, and they'll care even less on the next ones. I predict a record low turnout.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:hfive: I was just thinking of asking you who all these people are. Thanks!

Edit: What is the sound for that fancy crossed d letter in Serbian?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kalstrams posted:

:hfive: I was just thinking of asking you who all these people are. Thanks!

Edit: What is the sound for that fancy crossed d letter in Serbian?

It's a soft J. Like, imagine a British granny saying 'Joke'
Just look up Novak Đoković on Youtube, there has to be someone who said it right.

Just to add to my post: I looked up stuff about Stevica Deđanski a bit, turns out his anti-nationalist routine is actually about claiming that extreme nationalists are being paid by the West to make a show in order to discredit Serbia (and, somehow, Russia). It now makes a lot more sense as to why he's on that list.

:ughh:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Omi-Polari posted:

Hah. True. But I think a lot of intelligence work is trying to sway opinion and policy inside other countries for your own government's ends. The U.S. also deploys this kind of soft power with gusto, of course. But if you Google these various think-tanks associated with the likes of Ron Paul and his people, you'll find a trail of breadcrumbs leading to these weird Italian and French organizations staffed by Russians promoting links to articles that they've landed at the likes of The National Interest about "The Russian point-of-view on X"

I actually would like to find out more about this. Any good places to start?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mightypeon posted:

some genuine Donbass populists actually shot at the Oligarch aligned factions, while the genuine pro Ukrainian patriots did to my knowledge no such Thing concerning the Junta
[..]
In Kiev, the Ukraine People are pretty fed up with the Oligarchs, Nationalists and Sapadniks running the Show, but see the "Russians" as a far greater threat and thus follow the orders of the Junta for now.

What is this Junta you keep referring to?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

It's a soft J. Like, imagine a British granny saying 'Joke'
Just look up Novak Đoković on Youtube, there has to be someone who said it right.
Oh, I know this sound, we have it in Latvian as 'dž'.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kalstrams posted:

The thing is, we also have a 'dž', and it's a harder J, like the one heard when a regular English person says 'joke'. đ is softer than that. It's a subtle difference for people who don't speak Serbo-Croatian, but audible and obvious to native speakers.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

kalstrams posted:

I looked up "Latvian phonology" on wiki. As my dad said we have both, Serbian dž is the same as Latvian dž. Here are pronunciations for and dj or đ.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 3, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

What is this Junta you keep referring to?

The enemies of Russia, aka the legitimate government.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sound difference is very subtle indeed.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

The enemies of Russia, aka the legitimate government.
I dunno man, Junta sounds kinda ominous. Weren't those Argentinean dudes that made all that hullabaloo about some rock a Junta as well? And those nasty fellows in Burma that went around changing the name of their country? These Junta types don't seem very legitimate at all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
"The Junta" would be a great band name, especially with an appropriate lead.

"Dimitri and the Junta"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

"The Junta" would be a great band name, especially with an appropriate lead.

"Dimitri and the Junta"

Not enough latin flavor for my tastes. El Presidente and His Big Junta Band playing their classic bachata hit, "Eso Es Rusia"

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Barudak posted:

Not enough latin flavor for my tastes. El Presidente and His Big Junta Band playing their classic bachata hit, "Eso Es Rusia"

Junta is already a Phish album.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Spoke with an Ukranian election observer for Odessa this afternoon. National vote was relatively honest, district-level was a bit strong-armed by anti-Kiev politicians (ones most likely to be easily picked off by Russia). While Russia may be resigned towards a Western Ukraine temporarily being split from Mother Russia, by eliminating all Ukranian access to domestic energy production and by making Ukraine a land-locked nation with delayed Russian customs processing, Russia is of the opinion that Ukraine will beg to come back.

First step is eliminating and heavily restricting Ukranian access to global markets. So, who has a map of Ukranian rail capacity by rail gauge?

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Today is the anniversary of: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-sad-story-of-laika-the-first-dog-launched-into-orbit/ar-BBcK03l?ocid=mailsignout

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Yawn another night assault on the airport underway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NVJSWtQXRk

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Spoke with an Ukranian election observer for Odessa this afternoon. National vote was relatively honest, district-level was a bit strong-armed by anti-Kiev politicians (ones most likely to be easily picked off by Russia). While Russia may be resigned towards a Western Ukraine temporarily being split from Mother Russia, by eliminating all Ukranian access to domestic energy production and by making Ukraine a land-locked nation with delayed Russian customs processing, Russia is of the opinion that Ukraine will beg to come back.

First step is eliminating and heavily restricting Ukranian access to global markets. So, who has a map of Ukranian rail capacity by rail gauge?

Go nuts.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Worst case scenario, the cigarette smugglers by the Polish border can just pick up everything Ukrainian industry needs and have the Marshutkas drive a little further than usual. I'm sort of kidding, but that's also probably the actual backup plan for many Ukrainian firms. I think Russia is not planning on reincorporating western Ukraine in the next 15-20 years and the goal now is getting more internal political influence by making credible threats. For the next phase down the line, they could "pragmatically" stop around Kiev, then pull a reverse Molotov-Ribbentropp to let have Poland take Lviv and maybe even some territory down to the Danube. Poland was willing to take a piece of Czechoslovakia after Munich in 38, (a weird fact left out of high school textbooks worldwide) but maybe they've learned their lesson and maybe they haven't.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 4, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Smerdyakov posted:

Worst case scenario, the cigarette smugglers by the Polish border can just pick up everything Ukrainian industry needs and have the Marshutkas drive a little further than usual. I'm sort of kidding, but that's also probably the actual backup plan for many Ukrainian firms. I think Russia is not planning on reincorporating western Ukraine in the next 15-20 years and the goal now is getting more internal political influence by making credible threats. For the next phase down the line, they could "pragmatically" stop around Kiev, then pull a reverse Molotov-Ribbentropp to let have Poland take Lviv and maybe even some territory down to the Danube. Poland was willing to take a piece of Czechoslovakia after Munich in 38, (a weird fact left out of high school textbooks worldwide) but maybe they've learned their lesson and maybe they haven't.

You say Russia dealing with West Ukraine is 15-20 years away?
Poland, a victim of (multiple) partitions historically, cooperating with Russia - the aggressor behind most of those partitions(and with the Soviets establishing themselves firmly as Poland's archnemesis) - to partition another nation is probably 100-150 years away.

Though the rumors on multiple occasions now have flown that Russia has tried dangling that particular bait in front of Poland to see if they'll bite.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cuntpunch posted:

You say Russia dealing with West Ukraine is 15-20 years away?
Poland, a victim of (multiple) partitions historically, cooperating with Russia - the aggressor behind most of those partitions(and with the Soviets establishing themselves firmly as Poland's archnemesis) - to partition another nation is probably 100-150 years away.

Poland and Germany are cooperating ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, and the Nazis were, well, Nazis.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

my dad posted:

Poland and Germany are cooperating ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, and the Nazis were, well, Nazis.

By no means does Poland love Germany, it's just that there's the fact that the aggressive government that hosed them over in the 30's has, obviously, been replaced; combined with the fact that Germany suffered under the Soviets as much as Poland did, it builds at least a little empathy and willingness to play nice. At least Merkel isn't decrying the fall of the Reich as a tragedy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Poland that played along with Hitler also had some major expansionist dreams of its own. I'm not aware of there being a major faction in Poland currently looking to establish it as the new imperial hegemon in Eastern Europe.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Poland that played along with Hitler also had some major expansionist dreams of its own. I'm not aware of there being a major faction in Poland currently looking to establish it as the new imperial hegemon in Eastern Europe.

I was complaining about the 100+ years timespan. In the 50 years between 1944 and 1994, a lot of countries did a 180 turn, some more than once. Also, the idea that 'the victim of X will never do X to someone else' is laughable. Just look at Israel.

I don't think the Poles are going to even think about partitioning a neighbor anytime soon, though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Major" is a huge overstatement. The part of Czechoslovakia they gobbled up was a claim of a grand total of 805 square kilometres, with a Polish majority, renounced earlier when it was Poland who had to bend over and take it from the Western powers because of the Bolshevik war. Only other attempts at expansion after 1921 were half-assed attempts to get awarded an African colony.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mightypeon posted:

"Pro Russians" (and that is a misnomer, considerable parts there just want to be left the gently caress alone from Shenangians, no matter if they come from Kiev or Moscow)

That's like saying that someone jumping from the roof actually wants to fly, not fall. There is exactly zero chance of the region explicitly called "Novorussia" to be free from Russian shenanigans if they are no longer under Ukrainian control. It's simply impossible for them to be truly independent, no matter what they may want. Because the ones who want to be annexed by Russia (and who are often actually Russian) are the ones in control.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I came up upon this on wikipedia while reading on another subject but what's with the crazy murder rates in the Baltic countries?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

MeLKoR posted:

I came up upon this on wikipedia while reading on another subject but what's with the crazy murder rates in the Baltic countries?
Poor people drinking cheap vodka or other liquors together, getting into a drunken arguments, and then stabbing eachother. Easily 80% of murders follow that pattern. :shrug:

pigdog fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in my daily life.

Of course Estonia also leads in Europe's charts when it comes to suicides, HIV rate and all that. My personal theory is that other Eastern European countries don't gather statistics as vigorously as we do.

Also when going by this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

We're the first non-African country (except Haiti) in there. Incredible.

e: and what pigdog said.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 4, 2014

• Locked thread