Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Speaking of which, do Jain Mongols still get the invasion CB plus the +30 vassal opinion for being "pacifists"? I know that was a thing for a while, but I'm not sure if Paradox fixed the glitch yet.

The requirements:

Mandatory
  • Independent
  • Duke or higher title
  • Altaic/Magyar/Mesoamerican culture group
Plus one of
  • Pagan
  • Nahua/Mongol culture and non-Christian

So yes, Jain Mongols should still qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I just "finished" my first republic game, and converted it to EU4, so we'll see how it goes. I'm always too slow at finishing games, so I'm rolled back to old versions of both CK2 and EU4.

Anyhow, I started as Venice, but custom-created my ruler to be Welsh (because I gotta have longbows). I quickly built up an army and seized Rome to make the Pope my vassal as early as possible. This, combined with my retinue, made the rest of the game trivially easy, so I busied myself by strategically marrying, educating, and stabbing people to try to create a ridiculous alt-history I could export to EU4. Here are the maps:

Political:

I decided to stop my personal conquests once I owned every province bordering the Mediterranean. My first non-conquest goal was to get Israel to form. I landed one of those Jewish councilors and had him educate a few cousins until finally one got converted. I gave him all the required land and released it. The light blue is the Serene Republic of Israel. During this time, and likely due to my frequent bullying of all the other Catholic lords, as well as the holy wars against the Muslims, Suomenusko reformed first, then the Zoroastrian church, and then, against all odds that I could see, Norse reformed as well, just before being overrun by the Finns. The light green is Zoroastrian Persia (which had a brief stint as a theocracy), the darker blue is Suomenusko Scandinavia, and the ruddy orange is Norse Carpathia, which went on to finish off the remains of the Byzantines. Other interesting realms of note include the Jomsvikings in black at the top of Europe (probably the only reason the Norse weren't completely overrun by the Suomenuskos at first), the Knights of Calatrava in red-orange at the top of Spain (one of the few remaining Catholic realms), the HRE successfully formed despite pagan aggression (grey), a remarkably strong Kingdom of Armenia (reddish) formed later in the game, and Iceland and Socotra remained independent somehow the entire time. The hordes made very little progress, which I'll explain shortly, but you can see how they split Persia in the East, and that England is dominated by Aztecs.

Religious:

Here's the fun stuff, though I've actually already explained most of it. Additionally, note that Mali is actually Yazidi, and contains the only remaining Islamic county on the map. Abyssinia remained Miaphysite, and Orthodox got superseded by Paulician, a religion to which both Armenia and the Holy Roman Empire subscribe. I don't really know how or when that happened.

Anyhow, you'd think with all these ridiculous religions everywhere that it would be ALL GREAT HOLY WARS ALL THE TIME, and you'd be right. HOWEVER, while the game was continuing I was also trying to marry my extremely prolific (seriously, I think all my rulers but one had lustful) dynasty into pretty much anywhere I possibly could. As luck would have it, I was so good at this that places that later were conquered and converted by Norse, Suomenusko, Zoroastrian, and even Aztec rulers had dynasty members fresh for the concubining/claiming/factioning. Check this out:

Dynasty:

Yeah, that's my dynasty ruling every major empire and nearly every religion. Funny thing was how my dynasty totally died out in the one place I purposefully installed it, in Israel. Anyhow, this web of alliances made for an extremely stable game, where if any one empire declared war on another, all the other empires would dogpile in on the defender's side. It was hilarious. This also made the hordes extremely easy to deal with, and the Aztecs would have never taken any land at all had they not invaded Ireland first.

Pretty hilarious game, but I'm converting at 1300 AD because it has slowed to about 3 seconds between days and I really don't think anything more interesting is going to happen. I suppose nothing has gone on much in India...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Thanks for the offers of help but it's too late, I've married my brother to the teenage princess of England and brought her in on my plot to kill my wife. And I do not know why or what advantage this could ever afford me, except that my imagination made it funny I guess.

Click click click

My only question so far is the timescale of management - should I be letting months pass by at a time, or are you generally micromanaging a lot more? I've pretty much sailed through my first year.

For the most part you can keep the game going pretty quick, I generally only slow things down if I'm fighting a war or if I'm assigning advisors to go do something, marrying someone off, etc.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mustang posted:

Weird, never seen Christian Mongols before.

I saw the Ilkhanate go Nestorian once, which was cool because I could then make alliances with them and help invade India for a change of scenery. In that alternate universe's history classes, the Mongol-Roman invasion of Rajastan in 1305 was probably some boring-rear end lecture that everyone snoozed through rather than the kickass Turtledove-esque fantasy war I saw it as.

My only question so far is the timescale of management - should I be letting months pass by at a time, or are you generally micromanaging a lot more? I've pretty much sailed through my first year.

Yeah, going long periods of time without anything happening is normal, especially if you're pretty small. Feel free to crank up the speed until that claim gets forged or whatever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Generation Internet posted:

From a few pages ago, but:

:smug:

I did this a while ago, pre-Charlemagne. I ran that game all the way until 1444 and by that point the homogeneous world was so boring that most of the Middle-East was Norse, too. My proudest moment was when I saw Vikings from the coast of Saudi Arabia raiding India.

This is awesome. I will do my best emulate this. I am doing it with the pre-Charlemagne patch so I will not able to use Frisa + Brittany + Denmark to create an empire, but I may try to take over Scandanvia so I can form that empire, then grant Norway and Sweden independence (with my families on the throne, of course).

edit:
forgot to go to the next page before I refreshed:

pwnyXpress posted:

words and maps

:vince: holy poo poo that is insane. That must have been so much effort but so worth it. Yeesh.

I was playing my Welsh cultured Norse religion Frisia called "Iseldroedd" (Welse for "lowlands :v:) where I wanted to paint the (dynasty) map my color quite a bit, but then Art of War came out for EU4 and I have not launched CKII since (AoW is WAY less buggy than Charlemagne).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 4, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I just launched the game for the first time since June and drat the opening UI looks super fancy now :swoon:

Mustang posted:

I haven't played much CK2 in a long while but am going to now that I realized the Charlemagne DLC is already out. Are they going to keep making more CK2 DLC? I think it would be cool if they kept going further back in time to just after the end of the Roman Empire, or maybe with part of it still around.

I don't know too much about the later parts of the Roman Empire or the early Middle Ages but when is the earliest point in which something like Feudalism appears?

The roots of Feudalism go all the way back to Diocletian in the 3rd Century and you could fudge it into the game in some way right at 476 (if not earlier) if you really wanted to.

I mean they already kind of did that for the Byzantines (who are basically that part of the Roman Empire that's still around that you were talking about).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mustang posted:

I haven't played much CK2 in a long while but am going to now that I realized the Charlemagne DLC is already out. Are they going to keep making more CK2 DLC? I think it would be cool if they kept going further back in time to just after the end of the Roman Empire, or maybe with part of it still around.

Honestly, I really hope they don't push back the start date any further, because a full 769-1453 game takes for-ev-er as it is and you need to deliberately restrain yourself to not steamroll everything.

I want playable theocracies/holy orders, and although I know they're not feudal, neither are republics and Paradox made them work, so I have faith in them being able to cobble something together. :colbert: Plus, it would be a perfect opportunity to flesh out some of the under-utilized religions and heresies.

It could also include a Fourth Crusade mechanic, which in my mind might go something like this: when a crusade is called, the members have an option to plot to re-direct the crusade target to any kingdom-level title they want/have claims on, including those of the same religion. Once the target is changed, every crusade member who didn't support it has an opportunity to drop out of the crusade if they want to. Naturally, if this succeeds, everyone who goes along with it gets a MASSIVE relations penalty with the Papacy (and probably most Catholics) and certain excommunication, but on the upside, you now have a chance to seize a kingdom with a hell of a lot of help. In history, this turned out to be the Byzantine Empire.

Of course, the reasons behind the Fourth Crusade were a lot more complicated than that, but video games.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm starting to get the appeal of the game I think, it's almost like Dwarf Fortress in that the fun kind of lies in the narrative details of what you're doing. I'm playing Scotland around like late 1200s and I'm squishing a rebellious guy, I have a couple rebel affiliates in the dungeons and for the most part they die of disease but I'm trying not to worry about what I'm supposed to do with these things.

I've betrothed my bro to some Irish dudes baby and am currently plotting to murder his only heir, I dunno if that will get that county into my family or not but it is the best way to learn the ins and outs of ancient law I'm sure.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mustang posted:

They won't go back - the next big "thing" backwards is Mohammed. They've said they don't want to cover his period.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Taear posted:

They won't go back - the next big "thing" backwards is Mohammed. They've said they don't want to cover his period.

They've also said that they weren't going to go back further than The Old Gods... until they did. I doubt they'll cover the Rise of Islam, but for other reasons than 'they said they wouldn't'

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what's the best place to expand once you've secured Afghanistan as the Zunbil? I've got the whole kingdom and I'm insulated from the Abbasids by breakaway Muslims. I'm making pretty good money. Should I save up for mercenaries and push right away for my third holy site across the mountains?
There's good counties to your east, easy conquests to your north. If you decide to go north remember to make only a few strong multi-dukes because otherwise the fuckers will keep failing conquests and all their land is poo poo, so plenty counts+1 megaduke should work better.

Finish beating up that last Buddhist realm, then either forge a claim on your holy site if the hindus there have too many allies or just conquest your way there. But if they're too unified, just go north for a while, with any luck the assholes will make the tengris zun and afghan.

Though I've noticed that the AI doesn't seem to prioritize settling tribes, which is pretty dumb and annoying. What exactly makes them pick that option?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Any tips for the Jewish start in Charlemagne? I understand a lot of luck is involved in getting yourself established but any tips for adjusting that a bit my way?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Thanks for the offers of help but it's too late, I've married my brother to the teenage princess of England and brought her in on my plot to kill my wife. And I do not know why or what advantage this could ever afford me, except that my imagination made it funny I guess.

Click click click

You don't really need to do much micromanagement at all, actually. Just let the clock roll and just do your thing until you either A. a notification/event comes up telling you about how something is fuckey, or B. you notice an exploitable situation in regional politics. Also, if the princess is directly related to the king of England, then good job, you just netted yourself a sweet alliance. You should be able to call the English King into wars as long as he or one of his sons are on the throne. Just make sure he likes you enough to want to join your wars.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 4, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it possible to create a Mongol Jain merchant republic?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KOraithER posted:

The movie Ironclad is a great example of a failed assault followed by a long siege.

Dammit, I've just bought a box set of DVDs, but after reading the first few lines of the plot in Wikipedia, I may need to buy this and give it a go. I know I'm going off-topic here, but is it actually any good? Or is it sub-par but just happens to serve your purposes as an example of a long siege? (I don't recall the last time I've seen a movie in this era...a good one, at least)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

The roots of Feudalism go all the way back to Diocletian in the 3rd Century and you could fudge it into the game in some way right at 476 (if not earlier) if you really wanted to.

I mean they already kind of did that for the Byzantines (who are basically that part of the Roman Empire that's still around that you were talking about).

The feudal model in the game would probably work better with a Sassanid Middle East than a Muslim one too.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Major Isoor posted:

Dammit, I've just bought a box set of DVDs, but after reading the first few lines of the plot in Wikipedia, I may need to buy this and give it a go. I know I'm going off-topic here, but is it actually any good? Or is it sub-par but just happens to serve your purposes as an example of a long siege? (I don't recall the last time I've seen a movie in this era...a good one, at least)

I enjoyed it, and I would watch it again. It's also mostly historical, except for the number of defenders and the part where the Danes are not yet Christianized.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
What's the easiest way to get ride of the English melting pot event? If the Anglo-Saxons do survive, I want them to stay that way, not convert. In the same vein, how exactly do I rename cultures? I want to rename Anglo-Saxon to Ænglisc, but I'm not sure where exactly that's stored.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Every since Ive converted to the Ibadi heresy I find that my shield keeps changing at random times, like when i declare a war or win it or load a game. Is that a new bug or an old one? Im playing the newest beta patch, no CM.

Also, Ive had two adventurers that just disappeared when the time for their attack came.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mortuus posted:

What's the easiest way to get ride of the English melting pot event? If the Anglo-Saxons do survive, I want them to stay that way, not convert. In the same vein, how exactly do I rename cultures? I want to rename Anglo-Saxon to Ænglisc, but I'm not sure where exactly that's stored.

First only happens if the land is Anglo-Saxon but the top level liege is Norman, so if the Anglo-Saxons survive then it can't fire and they'll stay that way. At least it was like that before Charlemagne, but I'd be surprised if it had change. Second is somewhere in the localisation files. Use notepad++ and Find in Files is your best bet, probably. It'll probably be something like "culture_anglo_saxon Anglo-Saxon" but I forget the exact formatting. Searching for Anglo-Saxon will find it, anyway.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Allyn posted:

First only happens if the land is Anglo-Saxon but the top level liege is Norman, so if the Anglo-Saxons survive then it can't fire and they'll stay that way. At least it was like that before Charlemagne, but I'd be surprised if it had change. Second is somewhere in the localisation files. Use notepad++ and Find in Files is your best bet, probably. It'll probably be something like "culture_anglo_saxon Anglo-Saxon" but I forget the exact formatting. Searching for Anglo-Saxon will find it, anyway.

Thanks. I thought so too about the English event, but it definitely happened to me in an 867 game where I remained Anglo-Saxon the entire time, but had English vassals.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Major Isoor posted:

It's not particularly amazing, but it's worth seeing for Paul Giamati's performance alone.

I might not recommend watching this if you're going to get the movie, but for anyone else that wants to see it, here's King John's tirade on the Divine Right of Kings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5czM9pf9Wo

Mortuus posted:

Thanks. I thought so too about the English event, but it definitely happened to me in an 867 game where I remained Anglo-Saxon the entire time, but had English vassals.

The event you'll want to remove (or alter) would be the English Melting Pot, in culture_conversion_events.txt.

The way it works is that if anyone with norman culture holds a province in England, they can be culture flipped to English. A province in their demesne will then also be flipped to english. Then further events will flip other provinces in their demesne to English, and then further events will convert their court and vassals to English.

You can stop it, by removing the normans and english to replace them with saxons, it's just that at some point a norman, somewhere, got in.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 4, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

KOraithER posted:

I enjoyed it, and I would watch it again. It's also mostly historical, except for the number of defenders and the part where the Danes are not yet Christianized.

It's waaaaaay way stuffed with anachronisms and just plain wrong poo poo, but a good movie well despite it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The true CK2 movie is The Lion in Winter.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it possible to create a Mongol Jain merchant republic?

You might have to do the old give in to your son trick, but there is no fundamental reason why it wouldn't work. It's easy enough to just use the ruler designer if you want to do it that way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

The Messenger is the best CK2 movie. I AM THE INSTRUMENT OF GOD.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Gotta agree with this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So I decided to try and become a Jain Mongol merchant republic but things are a bit strange. Ghengis himself died a few months in but as his son I managed to gobble up basically all the area belonging to the Persians, except for a few pesky northern provinces, pretty easily. Some time later I was continuing my conquest westwards and taking over Georgia and the surrounding countries when a Hindu missionary begins arrives at my court saving me the trouble of having to get myself a Indian concubine. After some time I get the event to convert and do so. Some time later after forcing anyone to convert I can and conquering a bit more I notice that I no longer have a heir of my dynasty. I have several sons and grandsons but for some reason my heir is now my chaplain and there is no text at all in the panel for inheritance laws. I try getting the chaplain out of my court by sending him to preach to some pagans but now I just have no heir at all.

I think maybe being Hindu, Mongol and tribal might be a bit too much for this game but I´m still only at medium tribal organization and might well die from old age before being able to feudalize my poo poo. I can't make a feudal holding my capital because it's "wrong holding type".

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It seems somehow my dynasty shields got hosed up? The Abbasids should have a black/white half moon, right?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

So I decided to try and become a Jain Mongol merchant republic but things are a bit strange. Ghengis himself died a few months in but as his son I managed to gobble up basically all the area belonging to the Persians, except for a few pesky northern provinces, pretty easily. Some time later I was continuing my conquest westwards and taking over Georgia and the surrounding countries when a Hindu missionary begins arrives at my court saving me the trouble of having to get myself a Indian concubine. After some time I get the event to convert and do so. Some time later after forcing anyone to convert I can and conquering a bit more I notice that I no longer have a heir of my dynasty. I have several sons and grandsons but for some reason my heir is now my chaplain and there is no text at all in the panel for inheritance laws. I try getting the chaplain out of my court by sending him to preach to some pagans but now I just have no heir at all.

I think maybe being Hindu, Mongol and tribal might be a bit too much for this game but I´m still only at medium tribal organization and might well die from old age before being able to feudalize my poo poo. I can't make a feudal holding my capital because it's "wrong holding type".

Check out your titles - you might have somehow usurped/inherited a holy order or mercenary company. They've got weird inheritance rules and always force themselves to act as your primary title so you just need to give it away to someone else and that should fix it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If you're in a big Kingdom with lots of things happening, you want to be on top of it. If you're not, then it's okay to sit there for ages not really doing anything except what you feel like.
For instance: If you're... I dunno... the Duke of Burgundy in France, chances are you've got a lot of poo poo - and I mean a lot - to keep on top of. Claim fabrications, vassal plots, your own claims, whatever your king is doing etc.
As a Count/Duke in Ireland (the King of Ireland is a little bit of this too) chances are you're going to suffer intense boredom waiting for your money to get big enough so you can invade/claim/build/plot.

Timescale management - making sure you're on top of things - is one of the more challenging things in CK2 if you have a really, really, really short attention span (like me). (I tend to also have OCD about internal borders, so I spend 80% of my time plotting to destabilize my dukes and make them nice, weak and pliable. Sidenote: Thank God for Imperial administration.)

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, I really hope they don't push back the start date any further, because a full 769-1453 game takes for-ev-er as it is and you need to deliberately restrain yourself to not steamroll everything.

I want playable theocracies/holy orders, and although I know they're not feudal, neither are republics and Paradox made them work, so I have faith in them being able to cobble something together. :colbert: Plus, it would be a perfect opportunity to flesh out some of the under-utilized religions and heresies.

It could also include a Fourth Crusade mechanic, which in my mind might go something like this: when a crusade is called, the members have an option to plot to re-direct the crusade target to any kingdom-level title they want/have claims on, including those of the same religion. Once the target is changed, every crusade member who didn't support it has an opportunity to drop out of the crusade if they want to. Naturally, if this succeeds, everyone who goes along with it gets a MASSIVE relations penalty with the Papacy (and probably most Catholics) and certain excommunication, but on the upside, you now have a chance to seize a kingdom with a hell of a lot of help. In history, this turned out to be the Byzantine Empire.

Of course, the reasons behind the Fourth Crusade were a lot more complicated than that, but video games.

I don't think that would accurately portray the Fourth Crusade.
Basically, the members didn't re-route the crusade, they were bribed by - largely - the Venetians who were the ones doing the rerouting (and a second part of the crusade still went to Syria and was presumably ignominiously crushed). The papacy was unhappy about it, but did not fully excoriate the crusaders over the outcome as it sort of met one of their goals (that of extending the Catholic Church to the "schismatics").

I would rather see "Great Holy Wars" against Heretics and Crusades against Organised Heathens and Holy Areas rather than just papal Crusades against everything. Some of the papal "powers" in EU4 also fit well with CK2 (papal legates, etc) and I think would add something to the game.
I would also like to see a reworking of the "holy site" mechanic for Christian and Islamic religions - especially for their Heresies (Heresies should be able to "evolve" into religions with proper mechanics when they control enough holdings and have enough Religious Authority).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Schlesische posted:

I don't think that would accurately portray the Fourth Crusade.
Basically, the members didn't re-route the crusade, they were bribed by - largely - the Venetians who were the ones doing the rerouting (and a second part of the crusade still went to Syria and was presumably ignominiously crushed). The papacy was unhappy about it, but did not fully excoriate the crusaders over the outcome as it sort of met one of their goals (that of extending the Catholic Church to the "schismatics").

Not exactly. Pope Innocent III was pissed when he found out about the sack and was going to excommunicate everyone (The crusade commanders elected not to tell their troops for fear they'd desert) but rescinded the idea, instead only excommunicating Venetians since they led the thing. He ultimately hoped it'd repair the schism by having them see the superiority of the western church but that probably was desperation since obviously the exact opposite happened.

Venice is ultimately to blame for it though, basically Innocent III expected a much larger response to a Fourth Crusade than he actually got, since Europe was pretty burned out on the whole crusade idea by then, since they had their own problems, so the troops waited in Venice for more troops to show up, who never came. Venice, annoyed that they contributed a pretty hefty fleet (and by extension, money) to this venture decided that it was now theirs to call and thought they'd get back at those byzantines.

The fact that history was forever changed by a half crazy, 90 year old blind Venetian man never fails to crack me up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It seems somehow my dynasty shields got hosed up? The Abbasids should have a black/white half moon, right?

Something similar appears to have happened to me, although the only dynasties I see that have gone "gently caress it, let's go with all black" are the Spanish Ummayyads (and I'm in the process of killing them anyway in my Welsh game) and Zunbil (which is more of a problem).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Have you all tried deleting the graphics folder in your my documents/paradox interactive/crusader kings ii folder? Letting the game rebuild those often helps.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

If you have Charlemagne then the Abbasids should have a black shield with an Arabic phrase on it, while the Umayyads should have a white shield with the same phrase. They have unique dynasty shields, different from normal Muslims.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I might not recommend watching this if you're going to get the movie, but for anyone else that wants to see it, here's King John's tirade on the Divine Right of Kings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5czM9pf9Wo

Yep, this just about sums up my thoughts whenever my vassals get uppity. Anyway, this movie is a decent popcorn medieval killing dudes movie, but don't expect anything more. Paul Giamatti is a national treasure.

quote:

The event you'll want to remove (or alter) would be the English Melting Pot, in culture_conversion_events.txt.

The way it works is that if anyone with norman culture holds a province in England, they can be culture flipped to English. A province in their demesne will then also be flipped to english. Then further events will flip other provinces in their demesne to English, and then further events will convert their court and vassals to English.

You can stop it, by removing the normans and english to replace them with saxons, it's just that at some point a norman, somewhere, got in.

Honestly, the odds of seeing the English culture exist in any game starting before 1066 are pretty small. Norman culture is the result of a melting pot too (when Norse cultures rule over France), you you'd first have to have that happen and then have one of them take over a province in England.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, the odds of seeing the English culture exist in any game starting before 1066 are pretty small. Norman culture is the result of a melting pot too (when Norse cultures rule over France), you you'd first have to have that happen and then have one of them take over a province in England.

It's also a little more unlikely to happen starting from the Charlemage start because Frankish isn't one of the cultures that gets converted to Norman, you need French, Occitan or Breton.

Strictly this means that if you want English culture, your best bet is to start as Denmark, wait for the Viking age, then go conquer Cornwall before starting on the Saxons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

They've also said that they weren't going to go back further than The Old Gods... until they did. I doubt they'll cover the Rise of Islam, but for other reasons than 'they said they wouldn't'

Well obviously. While they've already got him in game as a picture of a symbol I would assume him marrying random people and becoming a blind gay eunuch is also going to offend a lot of people.
Maybe the next DLC will be Holy Orders/Popes although that sort of goes against the whole "family" part of the game that they even managed to preserve with republics.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
If they make Mohammed (PBUH) a regular character, certain people will flip their poo poo because you can murder/sacrifice or otherwise screw with him. Their office might be burned to the ground, too.

If they make the rise of Islam entirely event driven, certain other people will flip their poo poo because "muh railroading!". Their forums might be burned to the ground.

It's a lose-lose deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's just a bloody game!

• Locked thread