Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Yo, Wesp's 9.2 Patch is up. It's mostly just minor bug fixes, but apparently he restored some missing dialogues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Yo, Wesp's 9.2 Patch is up. It's mostly just minor bug fixes, but apparently he restored some missing dialogues?

I'll update then, and hope like hell this doesn't break saves (though with what little was changed, I don't really think it does). Doesn't seem like that big a deal, but I might as well. Noting a lack of "fixed not being able to enter Mercurio's apartment", but who knows what exactly caused that.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I've never had a WESP update break saves. In other news. Bloodlines is 75% off until November 3rd ($4.99).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TheMcD posted:

I'll update then, and hope like hell this doesn't break saves (though with what little was changed, I don't really think it does). Doesn't seem like that big a deal, but I might as well. Noting a lack of "fixed not being able to enter Mercurio's apartment", but who knows what exactly caused that.

Do you have the skull of the Lamia? It's locked until then.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

OAquinas posted:

Do you have the skull of the Lamia? It's locked until then.

Oh you.

plastic genius
May 31, 2013

quote:

What does a scanner see? I mean, really see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me--into us--clearly or darkly? I hope it--

quote:

Oh. :smith:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am entirely sure that is what the camera captured and Mitnick wasn't involved in any video doctoring.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

I am entirely sure that is what the camera captured and Mitnick wasn't involved in any video doctoring.

Yeah, if you look at just where the cameras were placed, that would have to be a very weird fucksession for that picture to come out of it. But then again, it was a fucksession involving a llama, so, you know, all bets are off.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and where did the llama come from, how do you even sneak a llama into an apartment building?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Robindaybird posted:

and where did the llama come from, how do you even sneak a llama into an apartment building?

Ask the Nosferatu no questions and they'll tell you lies just to gently caress with you.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cythereal posted:

Ask the Nosferatu no questions and they'll tell you lies just to gently caress with you.

The problem is that if they could manage to sneak a loving llama into the house, what was the point of sending Melissa in to place the cameras? The entire point, I thought, was that the Nosferatu were locked up in the warrens while the Sabbat were loving around in the sewers, so Imalia needed somebody to actually get in there. Seems there's more signs towards this being legit than fake.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Llama handling is a terribly dangerous job for any supernatural in WoD.
It is the one skill they can't replicate or do any better than the mundanes.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Llama handling is a terribly dangerous job for any supernatural in WoD.
It is the one skill they can't replicate or do any better than the mundanes.

You are, of course, forgetting the mystic Alpack, the little-known tribe of Peruvian werellamas who are feared for their colossal stubbornness and toxic spittle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheMcD posted:

The problem is that if they could manage to sneak a loving llama into the house, what was the point of sending Melissa in to place the cameras? The entire point, I thought, was that the Nosferatu were locked up in the warrens while the Sabbat were loving around in the sewers, so Imalia needed somebody to actually get in there. Seems there's more signs towards this being legit than fake.

:thejoke:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ghostwoods posted:

You are, of course, forgetting the mystic Alpack, the little-known tribe of Peruvian werellamas who are feared for their colossal stubbornness and toxic spittle.

The Garou thought that they had slaughtered them all during the War of Rage, but they actually retreated in to the Deep Umbra, protected by their thick fur. There they wait, growing their numbers and plotting their vengeance.

The First Change is caused by a werellama spitting in your face.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

citybeatnik posted:

The Garou thought that they had slaughtered them all during the War of Rage, but they actually retreated in to the Deep Umbra, protected by their thick fur. There they wait, growing their numbers and plotting their vengeance.

The First Change is caused by a werellama spitting in your face.

I have an image of a Bone Gnawer werellama riding around in his General Lee totem-car and it is too glorious for words.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Screaming Idiot posted:

I have an image of a Bone Gnawer werellama riding around in his General Lee totem-car and it is too glorious for words.

The Atlatllamas can chuck anything any diatance they wish.

You can take a werellama to water but you cant stop it from killing you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Okay, gently caress the LP, this thread is now a collaborative effort to write a splatbook for werellamas.

It would not be the weirdest thing to come out for WoD.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anything involving a Bone Gnawer is typically too glorious for words.

I really like how the tribe seems to both combine Disney Hobo and Hobo With A Shotgun.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Are werellamas actually a thing or are you guys just joking? Because this series is crazy enough and I've read enough lore bombs in this thread to believe anything at this point.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Are werellamas actually a thing or are you guys just joking? Because this series is crazy enough and I've read enough lore bombs in this thread to believe anything at this point.

No.

But wereaurochs were.

*EDIT*

And to prove that I wasn't kidding, I'm just going to post a few things from the White Wolf wiki about them. Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm posting this from the internet and not pulling it from the actual books they show up in.

The White Wolf Wiki posted:

The Apis were the wereaurochs or "moon-bulls", one of the extinct Changing Breeds of Werewolf: The Apocalypse. They were destroyed in the War of Rage, though their sacrifice in the Near East prevented the Garou from reaching Africa and exterminating the Mokolé, Bastet and Ajaba there. As their animal Kin has been domesticated and the Changing Seed within them has been as good as extinguished, there is little hope for even the most optimistic among the Fera to see their return.

While mostly forgotten, the Mokolé remember the Apis through Mnesis, and the Children of Gaia honour them through the tale of the Minotaur.

Basically, the Apis looked after kinfolk. Everyone's kinfolk. Especially the breeding of kinfolk, because when I think of matchmaking I think of seven foot tall hellbeasts. Anyway, the Garou figured that they were making their offspring soft because the Apis were soft, on account of them being loving werecows. So they slaughtered them.

I'm too shaky on my knowledge of WtA's take on ancient Greece (because -gently caress- reading the Black Fury's tribebook), but apparently the Minotaur was the last of Gaia's personal OKCupid and went bugnuts, staying in its war form (which had sharp teeth for some odd reason) until it was captured. Not sure how well that matches up with the rest of the various myths.

The Garou were kinda dicks.

But the Wyrm's given us Gordon Gekko wereapes, so it wasn't a total loss.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 4, 2014

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arcade Rabbit posted:

No. There used to be weresloths, but they got wiped out in the War of Rage.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm actually starting to wonder that myself...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

citybeatnik posted:

I'm too shaky on my knowledge of WtA's take on ancient Greece (because -gently caress- reading the Black Fury's tribebook)

As per revised, it's straight Greek mythology, but any time you see "Bacchantes," "Eumenides," or "the Kindly Ones," that's the proto-Black Furies. They also like to say that the Greeks revered Luna and called her Artemis.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

because when I think of matchmaking I think of seven foot tall hellbeasts

It's probably due to the bull being a symbol of fertility to the Celts and Egyptians - the Egyptians had a fertility god called Apis.

citybeatnik posted:

The Garou were kinda dicks.

Every story about WtA begins or ends with some variation on this phrase.

citybeatnik posted:

(because -gently caress- reading the Black Fury's tribebook)

I'm going in. If I'm not back in three hours, call an ambulance.

Edit: Okay, done. The journey I just went on serves as a perfect example of what is so fascinating and utterly infuriating about oWoD lore.

No trace of the Minotaur in the Black Furies tribebook, which doesn't touch on Crete at all - but I've only got the Revised edition, not the 1st. First trace I've stumbled across with some help from Google was from the Player's Guide to Garou:

quote:

Skin Dancer Totem: Minotaur
Background Cost: 6
Minotaur is the embodiment of the man that becomes the beast, the sentient being who craves animalistic power. he respects strength and holds contempt for the weak, and thus has come to favor the Skin Dancers, who parlay a small strength into a much greater one. Although not a direct servant of the Wyrm, Minotaur bears a faint touch of Beast-of-War's taint. He hates and envies Pegasus, particularly her high status among other Gaian spirits. He is misogynistic to some degree, although a strong female Skin Dancer can earn his respect in ways that a human female never could.
Traits: Minotaur places his children in contact with spirits that can teach them Gifts, and thus his children can learn mots Gifts of Rank Three or lower (at out-of-tribe costs, of course). He also grants each of his children an extra dot of Stamina and an extra dot of Survival.
Ban: Minotaur demands that his children hurt and slay any of Pegasus' children that they meet. They do not have to exact Minotaur's vengeance immediately, but they can never let a Black Fury or other werewolf who follows Pegasus live in peace.

Totems are powerful spirits, and spirits are shaped by accrued belief, so this says more about mankind's perception of minotaurs than it does about the actual Cretan bulldude. Moving on.

Second trace, from the Mokole breedbook - weredinosaurs with ancestral memory.

quote:

The last memory of them was preserved by the Children of Gaia, who tell of Kin birthing an Apis in Crete long ago.

To the Children of Gaia tribebook! Please be in revised, please don't make me suffer through 1st edition CoGs.

quote:

Dr. Stirling - he was Kin to some tribe I don't know - had enough of the Sight to look beyond the museum's lies and see Asterion. He was the last of the moon-bulls, after the Wars of Rage. They tried to breed 'em back, but no dice; the only way they could work a breeding program for the aurochs - which are to cattle as wolves are to dogs, just so you know - was to domesticate 'em. And domestication kills the shapeshifter blood.

But they had one. The Apis was trapped in a maze; they fed him a buncha human sacrifices, shipped in from Athens. Asterion was a crazy sonofabitch too, all by himself. He was pretty fuckin' sick there at the end, killin' em just because he could. Some human dude came and did him, but it wasn't like he had anything to live for. The bull-man barely put up a fight.

Okay, Minotaur was an Apis, and the Mokole version says that he was born to kinfolk. Possibly he was just a random throwback who had no support and thus went mad or fell prey to the Wyrm, or maybe the Garou tried to undo their mistake and managed to produce a single Apis through a breeding program, who promptly went bugfuck nuts - I'm going to go ahead and assume because the Garou hosed him up in the head. But the Wikia page disagrees with this version of events. It cites 'Changing Breeds' on the Apis page, so let's check that. There's a Player's Guide to the Changing Breeds, but that doesn't have them. There's a book called 'Changing Breeds' in the nWoD, but it can't be that. Then I remember - the W20 books. The result of a successful kickstarter last year that some may consider of lesser canonicity because NOT MUH CHILDHOOD :rolldice: Sure enough...

quote:

When their numbers dwindled to single digits and it became clear that the end was nigh, a handful of Apis took a desperate chance to try to save their kind. Calling themselves “Last Hope”, the young and strongest of the Breed set off into the depths of the Deep Umbra. There, they hoped to find long-forgotten secrets to restore their numbers. If time and fortune were on their side, they might return before the rest of the Apis — the elderly and very young — perished.

But fortune fell against the wereaurochs.

Those who awaited their return died in disappointment. The Apis left behind fell to disease, to violence, or to the ravages of time. None of them ever saw Last Hope again, and, as a group, the desperate travelers never returned.

Hope is a stronger force than many recognize, and time is a tricky thing in the Deep Umbra.

Thousands of years after Last Hope set out on their fateful journey, a single wereauroch returned, only to discover his family long-forgotten; the loss drove him mad. He frenzied, over and over, until he lost all ability to assume any form other than Minotaur. Eventually, he was captured by humans who saw him as an evil monstrosity, rather than a former protector of their kind. His tale, twisted and embellished upon, serves as source material for many minotaur myths throughout history.

This does go against the Mokole version of events, and the cynical may very well say that the 'Last Hope' story is an excuse to let players crowbar their very own wereaurochs PC into the game - this story is in a section that gives rules for doing so. So it's really up to the reader to decide which version of events to believe.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 5, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, last time, we helped Imalia with her little problem and drove somebody to suicide, and this time around, we'll be helping Mitnick...

...but not quite yet. Shoutouts to Pickled Tink for pointing this out to me - it turns out that there's this quest that used to be Nosferatu-exclusive, but WESP made it available to everybody. Probably a good idea, since the quest doesn't really make sense to have unique.

I might be. What do you need?
I'm looking for a data CD. It was lost down there, supposedly. Find it for me and I'll teach you a thing or two, some stuff that could really come in handy for you, from the sound of things.
Sounds good.
Hmmm, great, great. Go to the warrens, then find the data CD. Don't bother asking around for it; I've already made a pest of myself about this. Just find it and bring it back.

We probably should have done this before doing Imalia's quest - we actually don't need to return to the warrens any more, since Mitnick will keep in touch with us via e-mail. This adds some walking, but it's not that much of a pain.

And speaking of Mitnick, let's be Mr. Efficient and check our e-mail right here in Santa Monica, since the place we've got to break into is here as well.

But first, some news stories. I'm going to try and not post the ones that gatz already posted, but I might be repeating some.

Freak sandstorm activity is thought to be responsible for the destruction of two Navy fighter jets. The jets were returning from a patrol over the Persian Gulf when they disappeared off of radars. A transcript of a final radio exchange between the pilots mention wind conditions picking up and the skies becoming so thick with sand that the sun was being blocked. Shortly after this exchange, there was a garbled shout by the co-pilot, and finally radio silence. Military officials have dispatched several units to the area to search for the crew and the missing aircraft.

Mistaken identity may have led to a murder outside the Asp Hole when an unidentified man drove a wooden stake into an exiting patron outside the popular Hollywood club. The victim bore a resemblance to Ash Rivers, the owner of the Asp Hole, and investigators are speculating that the assassin meant to kill the popular Hollywood star. Rivers could not be reached for comment.

Yeah, because he loving bounced. Anyway, nothing else new here, and I listened all the way until the news looped.

Also, we've progressed far enough in the story for the fourth segment of "The Deb of Night" to start playing, so let's listen to that.

Nothing really notable in this one, though the Frankenstein RPG commercial is hilarious, and I always get a kick out of the political ad, though that's mostly because I get a laugh out of thinking about professional darts player Robert "The Thorn" Thornton when I hear about Republican senator Robert Thorn and about the image of Thornton running for President.

Actually, while we're here, let me gush about this for a bit longer. To put it bluntly, I loving love "The Deb of Night", and Deb might just be my favorite character in the entire game. That sounds insane, doesn't it? The latter part, that is. A game filled with so many memorable characters, and this maniac picks the faceless radio host that has literally zero impact on the excellent story and intrigue? It's an odd choice, to be sure, but honestly, that's why I love Deb so much. She has absolutely no impact on the bigger picture, but that just leaves her shrouded in mystery and makes her incredibly interesting as a character. Is she just a regular human doing a regular radio show? Is she a ghoul working for the Nosferatu intelligence network? Is she a vampire working for the Camarilla in upholding the Masquerade? This mystery is what attracts me to her, and her dry, quick wit and incredibly pleasant voice are the icing on top. She makes an excellent character to bounce all these weird people that call in to the show off of, and it all comes together to make the show very, very enjoyable to listen to. Add to that my penchant for placing a larger than normal amount of weight on the sound of a person's voice when judging how much I like them, and Deb comes out as one of the top characters in the game to me. I'll talk some more about the show when the fifth segment comes up, because it's the most interesting of all by a long shot.

...great, and now I sound like Greg. Bah.

I also found a 90 minute long radio loop edit that puts together all five Deb of Night segments and a whole bunch of music from the game at one of 4chan's somewhat regular Bloodlines threads, and I listen to it somewhat regularly on my commutes. It's pretty great. I reuploaded it here.

And while I'm at it, something of a "Director's Cut" note from me - I originally planned to do a narrative LP of this game as a Toreador at some point, and was going to use this radio show as a narrative device a couple of times, because it's underused enough to leave plenty of wiggle room to a would-be fanfiction writer such as what I would have been. Things like the quest where you slash the paintings seem perfect for this - have the art coordinator that just got chewed the gently caress out by Therese call in and bitch about things, maybe have him say something about having seen the player character at the scene of the crime, then have Chunk call in and defend the PC (if it was a female that seduced him). Of course, I'm still not nearly confident enough in my writing to attempt something like that. Oh well, it's still fun thinking up scenarios and the like. The world that Bloodlines created is too rich to not have some fun thinking about scenarios.

Oh, and one more thing I completely forgot to mention - the guy that called in in part 2, talking about the "Final Nights"? That was Andrei, the Tzimisce and local Sabbat leader we fought in the house at King's Way.

Right, now, back to the actual agenda at hand. We've got quite a few e-mails to read.

quote:

<Subject> The cost
<From> a friend

The cost of an attack is often paid later.

Another mysterious mail from the "friend". Like I said, I have my own theory about that, though it's best to only go further into that at a later point, since we need a bit more information to really bring all the factors in. But what is this "attack" he's talking about... the attack the Sabbat made on the Nosferatu, forcing them into the warrens? That attack brought Melissa onto the plan, and we all know she's the lady that gets poo poo done, so her cleaning up with the Sabbat later (assuming that's what happens) might be the price the Sabbat would pay.

quote:

<Subject> Prince is promoting you!
<From> gary@schrecknet.vtm

Hey, boss, did some spring-cleaning today - came across something that might tickle you. A kid used to live here had an unhealthy crush on everyone's favorite psycho pin-up, Jeanette Voerman. I got a touch of nostalgia, so, you find a copy of Tap Hotel, starring me, I'll trade you a poster of that luscious lunatic for it. Put the video tape in your mailbox and I'll deliver it to your haven.

This is a normally unmarked side quest (the WESP patch turns it into a regular side quest, which helps keep track of things) - Gary will send us several e-mails asking for stuff, and in return we get posters. I have my own problem with the posters, but we'll get to that once we actually get some. For now, let's just keep a lookout for that movie.

quote:

<Subject> CHEAP ROLEX...
<From> larry@neighborhood.vtm

...ain't the only stuff that we got, man! We got much hotter, much deadlier stuff, you know? And like all other quality LA proprietors we get new stock in all the time, so check it out!!!

God damnit, Larry. Make a note to tell that fat gently caress to take me off his mailing list. Least he could do after bringing that suitcase to him.

quote:

<Subject> First Network Hub
<From> m1tn1ck@yo-mama.vtm

Mitnick here. I've got the information on the first of the network hubs. The terminal is in Santa Monica, in an old place called Megahurtz Computing (I'll send you another email with recon). Power up the terminal, find the "Net Security" folder and run the "schrecknet" command. The password on the folder is "Gil Bates". Don't ask. I'll message you when I see the hub activated.

quote:

<Subject> Megahurtz Computing Recon
<From> m1tn1ck@big-tool.vtm

Megahurtz Computing is at the end of 2nd Street in Santa Monica, next to The Asylum. The only entrance is through the back door, so you'll have to find an alley to get back there. I'm leaving you the key for the door in your mailbox. Good luck, kid. This one should be easy.

Nice touch with Mitnick spoofing his address. It's the little things that make this game what it is, really.

Alright, off we go. We grab the key from the mailbox (after leaving the apartment and immediately returning because I loving constantly forget checking the mailbox)...

...and fairly quickly find Megahurtz Computing.

Now, this place is pretty barren, and in fact I know from experience that there's nobody here, so we don't even need to sneak.

We find the computer, but just like Mitnick said, we need to power it up first. There's another door nearby that should lead us to the switch, so let's just unlock it and...

...dicks. Well, time to look for the alternate solution. (Note: It only just dawned on me that I could have totally just used Bloodbuff. Man, I really love missing the forest for the trees. Good that the game gives alternate solutions for dumbasses like me)

Yeah, this'll work just fine.

And there we go, a switch!

Strangely enough, lockpicking the door from the other side only requires Lockpicking 5 as opposed to 8. Very strange.

Oh well, no use thinking too much about it, let's just move on. Menu "net security", password "Gil Bates", command "schrecknet"...

Bingo.

Next stop, downtown. Pick up some cash from Venus, then it's time to check our e-mail in the other haven because I'm tapped into the Madness Network and have the foresight of knowing that the next hub will be here.

Heather's feeling the withdrawals kicking in again. More opportunities to let her go, but we're not taking them. We'll just not be a dick and let her have some. Also, I'm not seeing the option to tell her to change her look any more in the regular dialogue, so we're stuck with this. Welp.

Anyway, business.

quote:

<Subject> Second Network Hub
<From> m1tn1ck@DOD.vtm

The next terminal is in the basement of the Nocturne Theatre in downtown (recon to follow). NO ONE CAN KNOW YOU WERE THERE. Stay out of sight. And no killing. I need you to set up a wireless cam (I'll send you instructions on how to activate it). Once it's in place and activated, login to the "Net Security" folder (password "Break a Leg" and run "schrecknet".

quote:

<Subject> Nocturne Theatre Recon
<From> m1tn1ck@arcanum1.vtm

The Nocturne Theatre is downtown, just across from the Empire Arms hotel. I couldn't get a key to the front door, so you'll have to enter through the sewers. Sorry... that's the best I could do.

quote:

<Subject> Wireless Camera
<From> m1tn1ck@junktown.vtm

I put the camera down in your mailbox. I had an operative scope out the joint beforehand, and he marked the best place for the camera with a red X. Find it (it's probably someplace high) and mount the camera. Once you've put it in place, login to the terminal downstairs, find the "Camera" folder and activate "net cam". You won't be able to activate the hub until the camera is in place.

Right, so we've got sneaking to do, a camera to place, and absolutely no murdering. Not up my alley, but I think we can make that work.

Anyway, we grab the camera (once again I end up leaving first before immediately realizing my mistake and turning around. The loading screens seem to mock me as I do so), and we're off...

...off to the sewers.

Thankfully, there's this handy dandy map to help us figure out where to go, and from there on, it's not really a big problem.

We find ourselves in the theater and JESUS loving CHRIST WHAT IS THAT.

What is this I don't even.

Anyway, this time around, we've got two guards patrolling the premises, making avoidance kind of tricky.

Thankfully, I actually remembered to turn my brain on this time around, and Command makes this sneaking a hell of a lot easier.

Since Mitnick said that the camera spot should be high up, I guess that climbing this ladder makes a good first step.

And sure enough, there's the big red X. Wouldn't that just make the camera really easy to spot? Oh well, I'm not getting paid to think about security concerns, I'm just here to place this poo poo.

Spectacular. What's this even here for? To record those meetings LaCroix calls when something goes wrong? To pirate theater performances? The world may never know.

So, on we go, down the hallway that's currently being obscured by Melissa's casting hand.

Offices, alright. Nothing interesting in any of them except one, which holds the computer we need.

Menu "camera", command "net cam", that enables the camera, menu "net security", password "Break a Leg" (passwords in Bloodlines aren't actually case sensitive, by the way), command "schrecknet", and there we go.

Fuckin' A. We sneak back out the way we came, and head right back to our haven for the next mission.

quote:

<Subject> Third Network Hub (recon)
<From> m1tn1ck@3-eyed-snake.vtm

Not a lot of time right now. Gotta make this quick. Hollywood. Warehouse operation. Key is in your mailbox. Set up the hub. The terminal is in "Operations", back of the warehouse, top of some stairs. Probably locked electronically. Work the problem. They're gonna have tight security but you gotta keep it dark. They can't know you were there. Same drill. See ya.

No time to give us a proper recon, but time to make a dick joke in his sender address. That's our Mitnick.

Like he said, the key is in the mailbox. Didn't stop me from just running out the door as usual again. God drat, I'm bad at this.

And we're off again, to Hollywood!

And here we are at Metalhead Industries. This is where this sidequest kind of becomes a pain in the rear end.

The warehouse area is very cramped, and there's tons of dudes meandering around that could spot you.

If you don't have anything like Dominate or Obfuscate, you're basically up poo poo creek without a paddle. It would probably require copious amounts of route planning and a good helping of luck for things to work out in that case.

Inside that door, we find the first computer. Menu "operations", password "codpiece" (good thing Melissa is good with computers), command "unlock" and we're good to go.

Safe! Also, computer, which is probably more important right now.

So, first off, menu "net security", password "Bang Your Head", command "schrecknet".

Ace. Now, after that, menu "safe", password "Turbo Lover", command "unlock". Let's see what that safe is hiding...

Umm... what? A toy? Well, guess we're pocketing that and figuring what the gently caress we want to do with it later.

Some more Command abuse, and we're home free. Note the blood level - we used quite a bit in that area. Now, our next destination is a bit of a departure from our current modus operandi, that being "do thing for Mitnick, go back home to get instructions for next thing to do for Mitnick, repeat"...

...we're going back to the old theater where we fought the gargoyle!

You might not know this, but you can actually go through those doors at the back and actually enter the theater area.

And this is where we find this video tape! What's on it?

Tap Hotel! Jackpot. Since the poster quest doesn't give any rewards beyond eye candy, I guess the developers figured they could get a bit more out there with it - I don't think there's any clue that would lead you to believe that the tape would be here. We'll have to deposit that in our mailbox once we get back. But first, we need to make a trip to the warrens again to look for Tung's CD.

On the way there, I do what I said I'd do and bump up Seduction one notch. And with that...

Are you psychic? I was just about to ask you if I could join you.
You're not just feeding me a line, are you?
Only stupid girls fall for those.
You're not like other girls, are you?
You don't know how right you are. Let me show you why.

Note the large amount of blood we got from that. The higher class blood dolls have a larger pool, which makes refilling much less annoying. Next stop, the warrens.

After spending about five to ten minutes bopping around the warrens again looking for that loving CD, we finally find it. Turns out you have to backtrack to the very beginning of the warrens, then go left instead of right, and then you'll run right into it. Still, wouldn't have missed a few more points in Inspection at this point. Oh well, that's what walkthroughs are for. Now, back home for the final instructions from Mitnick.

quote:

<Subject> Final Network Hub
<From> m1tn1ck@ImpeachBush.vtm

Okay. This is the big one. Kuei-jin front in Chinatown called "Kamikazi Zen". Yeah, I know it's Japanese. Don't ask. They've got a heavy duty security system. Recon's coming. Once you're in, find the server room and activate the hub. ONE MORE THING. They have a vault where they keep software, etc. You better break into it and take something. Put 'em off the scent. This one can be messy. It's your rear end.

quote:

<Subject> Kamikazi Zen Recon
<From> m1tn1ck@TheFlow.vtm

The key to the front door is in your mailbox. Our inside man put a file called "hooligan" on one of the office terminals. Find it and execute it. This will shut down the power, and allow you to get past the first REAL security door. I never got any blueprints to the inner sanctum, so once you're past the first door, you're on your own to find the server room and the vault. Good luck.

Okie-dokie. Let's hope this isn't any more sneaky than the last one, that was about as much sneaking as Melissa can manage.

We pick up the access card (after I AGAIN forget to get it the first time around) and drop off the video tape while we're at it.

And we're off to Chinatown! We won't be doing any new sidequests or anything here, just dealing with Mitnick's problem and paying a visit to a new friend.

Here we are. Certainly a nice looking area, though what lurks within is a bit less nice. But for now we're only interested in one thing, and that's Kamikazi Zen.

Still has that Chinese look to it, I guess it goes with the territory. Let's head in, shall we.

Pretty swanky looking place, I have to say. We take a few steps forward and-

OH gently caress ME.

Yeah, the guards aren't loving around here, but like Mitnick said, it's going to be messy, which translates out to "murder is OK here". So first we spend some time picking off all the guards, then we can go back to exploring.

The first computer we find is the one we need to use to get into the inner sanctum. Menu "power", password "gwailo", command "hooligan".

And off we are! We're now on a time limit - we have ten minutes until the power comes back and re-locks the main security door. If we're behind it when that happens, we'd be locked in, which is bad. Let's try to avoid that.

There's quite a few computers here with some interesting stuff. Not relevant to the bigger picture, but still fun to read. Menu "email", no password needed.

quote:

<Subject> DAMMIT!
<From> SCUDmuffin@Kamikazi.vtm

YO! I lost the damned access code to get back into the server room. Can you send it to me again? Oh, and I'm going to kill you tonight in Slaughter Grudge.

--SCUDmuffin

quote:

<Subject> Re: Re: DAMMIT!

That is SO much bullshit. Like I EVER camp the Uber-Cannon. Talk to your boy NuM-Nutz about that. After I REZ-sticulate his rear end.

--SCUDmuffin

Hrm. Looks like there's some disputes going on in the Kamikazi Zen offices.

Next computer seems to have no options available at all. Strange.

Ah, here we go, this should have the other side of the emails on shinto-X's computer. Again, no password.

quote:

<Subject>Re: DAMMIT!
<From> Yeah. You stupid? How many time I have to send you? Code is 4567. Add up numbers and get you IQ. The only way you kill me is camp you loving Uber-Cannon.

--shinto-X

quote:

<Subject>Re: DAMMIT!
<From> Me and NuM-Nutz gonna smoke you rear end. Take you REZ-ticulator and shove it in place where no sun shine. You lick Nummy-Nutz muffin! YOU GOT IT!

--shinto-X

What. Man, these online gaming feuds are confusing.

Hm, let's see what this guy's up to. First, his emails - locked with the password "waterloo".

quote:

<Subject> gently caress-BINSTER!
<From> shinto-X@Kamikazi.vtm

FUCK_BINSTER! You SO ugly! Even fat secretary spit you on head! HA! And I kill you squishy in SLAUGHTER-GRUDGE tonight! YOU HEAR ME! FUCK_BINSTER!!!

--shinto-X

quote:

<Subject> You freakin' noob!

Give up the game, Bucky-bitch! Your vocabulation ain't gonna help you with a WAR-BRINGER lodged in your skull! NEVER gently caress WITH CLAN DEATHGURGLE!!! BUCKY-BITCH!

--SCUDmuffin

Well, looks like this guy wasn't that popular on either side of this company gaming feud. Now, for "personal", locked with the password "elba". Note the Napoleon motif.

Hoo boy, now that's what we're talking about! Manifestos are always a great laugh, so let's see what this one has to offer.

quote:

Oh how I have suffered. The insensitive and illiterate buffoons that surround me are a constant reminder of the sad state of this country. I have solutions. As extreme as they may seem now, history will remember me as a visionary. Such is my fate.

quote:

Is intelligence such a scarce commodity? Today I spoke with Shinto, and somehow he babbled for an entire minute without using one pronoun. Oh god, how I languish. If his eyes weren't so close together, I might have plucked them out.

quote:

How Larry came to be my supervisor is beyond comprehension. His use of the language notwithstanding, which barely surpasses that of our dear friend Shinto, I can no longer abide his shoddy programming nor his horrendous security protocols. He spells his last name backwards and uses it for the access code to the bank vault. My kingdom for a baseball bat. I am spent.

You know, I don't think this is a very well run front. The Kuei-jin should probably do something about one of their employees being one weapon away from a rampage. Oh well, not our problem, and hey, we got the password to the vault out of it as well!

Next, we find a locked door, but since we have the code, it's not a big problem.

This looks to be the server room, so let's get cracking on that hub setup.

First off, same deal as always, "net security", password "nirvana", command "schrecknet".

Rob Nesler? We've been there before - we'll have to check that out on the way out. After that, we have "vault", password "nippelhcS" (we probably would have seen that name somewhere if I had looked at the nameplates, but since Melissa has Hacking 9, I really don't have to give a poo poo) and "unlock". And in the vault we find...

...a nameplate? Apparently, it's some special nameplate with a chip in it. No idea what it's good for, but I'm sure we'll figure that out eventually. Now, on to Rob Nesler's office.

Ah, now there's something!

"Rescue"? Yes, I would like that very much.

Sweet.

Now we can use this vent to escape. This would have been our only option, had we run out of time.

And that brings us back outside. Now, I think this update has already been going a bit long, and we're now officially done with Mitnick's quest, so let's stop here. Next time, we'll finish off Tung's quest and go through Gary's quest.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I don't think I've seen most of that content before. Awesome!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, is there really no difference if you go in shooting for the last "heist"?

The amount of time wasted sneaking past those guards :eng99:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

double nine posted:

wait, is there really no difference if you go in shooting for the last "heist"?

The amount of time wasted sneaking past those guards :eng99:

Remember, always check the quest description. If it doesn't make a point of having to go in sneaking, then you can probably shoot the place up if it's a combat zone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty neat sidequest. Out of curiosity, how many clans would have had trouble with it?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

That was a pretty neat sidequest. Out of curiosity, how many clans would have had trouble with it?

From the top of my hat I would say Brujah and Toreador would have problems with it. The rest has options:

Ventrue: Domination
Malks: Demention and Obfuscate
Nossies: Obfuscate and Animalism
Gangrel: Animalism
Tremere: Domination

Malks and Nossies obviously have the easiest time due to Obfuscate.

CVE fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 9, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Presence also makes things a bit easier with entrance, so, yeah. Gangrel once again get the short stick due to that stealth level and not having a panic button discipline for it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In all honesty the quest isn't difficult to stealth. There are several office cubicles to dive into while waiting for the guards to pass by and their patrol routes are long and spread out. With a couple of points in stealth you should be able to get by with no problem, if you're careful.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Presence also makes things a bit easier with entrance, so, yeah. Gangrel once again get the short stick due to that stealth level and not having a panic button discipline for it.

Wasn't the first level of animalism a distraction move where you summon bats? So I would think Gangrel would be fine. Brujah however are poo poo out of luck unless you can fudge it with celerity somehow.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, after we just got done with Mitnick's quest, we still have Gary's and Tung's quests to deal with, both of which don't require any business in Chinatown, so we should be leaving shortly.

However, before that, we still have a new friend to meet.

This is Tseng's completely honest and totally on-the-level herbal remedies shop. I think we need some herbal remedies.

You don't seem like the type to sell herbal remedies.
[Listen] Selling remedies is honest work! I came to America after discharge from Chinese Arm- uh... herbal remedies forces, to help aging parents with store. Definitely I am now American citizen! God bless the allegiance flag!
C'mon, I know you were in the military.
<Coughs>
Know anything about guns?
Chinese invented gunpowder! Yes, I know guns!
Got any?
Hold on please!

And the shelf turns, revealing plenty of guns.

Excellent. Let's see what you got.

Oh boy. Lots of good poo poo to be found here. There's some spiffy new duds and plenty of ammo to be had (including my coveted SPAS ammo), and a new melee weapon to boot - a legit katana, not the gunto we've been carrying around. I spend loadsamoney on the new clothes, the katana, and ammo, and after that I'm left with 222$ of our original 1181$, and I even sold off some vendor trash and old weapons as well. That, as it turns out, was a mistake. You'll see later just why. Damnit, there's too many stats I want to boost. Now I can add Haggle to the list.

Oh, and before we leave, here's Tseng's greeting if you're a Nosferatu. It's pretty funny.

So now we're rocking a leather trenchcoat of sorts. Fine by me. Anyway, our next destination is Santa Monica, to give Tung back his CD.

I did. Here you go.
Haaah, excellent. Now, listen up, fledgling, you might wanna take notes.
Sorry, no time for notes. Gotta run.

This is the only dialogue option we get. We just got stiffed on our quest reward. And why? Because it's a dot in Computer. Which Melissa already has maxed. Damnit, that saved XP could have been like three points in Haggle! Bah, this schmuck isn't qualified to talk computers with the l33t haxx0r that is Melissa anyway - his passwords are "tung" and "obfuscate", for gently caress's sake. Tung should have been out of a job long ago. :colbert:

Oh well, let's move on. Next stop - our haven, because we have a new e-mail to read.

quote:

<Subject> Cheat Codes

Enjoying the film, boss, but I think I've really let myself go over the years. Alright, this seems to be your bag, so, here's the deal. Know that Toreador in Vesuvius, "Miss Velour"? Back when she was breathing, it was more like "Miss Anything For Three Hundred". And I got a poster. Will trade for a revealing photo I saw on Haunted LA.

Haunted LA? Well, I have a sneaking suspicion that we're going to find what we're looking for in this building. Now, what floor did that guy live on again?

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

loving finally. Man, when I forget where to go and just try every possibility, I always end up with the worst luck.

And suddenly, there's a photo on this guy's desk! How did it appear here when the guy inhabiting this floor is now in somebody else's digestion? No idea. Oh well, Gary wants it, and Gary will get it.

Yeah, I could see why this could become an issue if this were to come out. Poor form from that Nos to suck out some fucker right under a streetlight.

See, this guy knows what I'm talking about with the guy inhabiting somebody else's digestion.

Anyway, we deposit the photo in our mailbox, leave the building and come back right away to trigger the next part of the quest.

quote:

<Subject> Want to Learn Vicissitude?

How ya been, boss? Same drill as before. Got a surveillance shot of a certain Kuei-jin. It would be degrading to photochop it into a tacky poster, so that's exactly what I did. Yours for a song - actually a tape - something Imalia did before I put the bite on her. I like to keep the kids in check- Last year's Jock Shot magazine's swimsuit shoot. Two hard, pointy reasons why they pulled it off retail shelves.

I don't need to learn Vicissitude, Vicissitude is already in the thread here! Hm, something involving Imalia... I think I have an idea where we can find that.

Picked up a dot in Security because better lockpicking is always nice. Now, where are we going?

We're going to... wait. poo poo.

...at first I thought that was that, we weren't going to complete the quest. But I decided to try the console command again, because why not, and...

...it worked. I don't know why the gently caress this is, but windowed mode also fucks up some console commands, it seems. Man, this is weird. Also, it took me about a minute to find where the gently caress I was going. This is very annoying.

Hey there, mister news man, what're you looking at?

Now, there was this chest in Carson's room that was too hard to unlock for us last time we came around here, so it's time to check out just what's inside it.

Jackpot.

Also, more vendor trash. I'm not complaining. While we're here, let's drop in with Mercurio.

Oh Mercurio, you know just what I want. :swoon:

Headshots were the last thing missing from my life.

Aw yeah, I'm getting myself a SWAT rifle! I'm getting myself a sniper rif-

...wait. poo poo. I spent too much money! Aaargh, if only I had more points in Haggle... god damnit. At least there won't be a lot of fighting in our future before we can get our hands on some dosh.

Anyway, same procedure as last time, drop poo poo off in mailbox, leave, come back, check e-mail.

quote:

<Subject> Rocket Launcher for Sale

Boss, got another poster just collecting dust, if you want to trade. Looks like one of the anarchs did some "art" photos before she got Embraced. It's all yours for the low, low price of the wooden pull toy from The Glittering. Might be in Metalhead Industries. You've talked to Mitnick, right? In the mailbox, like before.

This marks the beginning of WESP making changes to this quest. Apparently, this used to be a CD, but now it's a pull toy. Why? I don't know. But we've already got it, so let's just jump right to the next one.

quote:

<Subject> Confidential Nigerian Proposal

Are you tech savvy, boss? Because Mitnick wants a special name plate with an integrated transponder chip. Don't know what he needs it for, but will swap for a poster of Tawni Sessions that Imalia hasn't got her angry claws on yet.

Now we're getting into the part that WESP just added to this quest because hell, there's more posters to be had, might as well lengthen the quest. I'm not complaining. Scavenger hunting weird items for Gary is one of the more pleasant activities out there. Once again, we've already got this, so what's next?

quote:

<Subject> Replica Stakes

Hey boss, got another job for you. One of our researchers into the occult would like to get his hands on a squashed Odious Chalice seen in Chinatown. Would offer a poster of Imalia in her full beauty, before I gave her my special treatment! The usual way like before.

Chinatown - and I know that the place where we're going to find this is only accessible through a main story quest, so we'll keep that for next time, when we start Chinatown proper. Now, I guess it's a good time to check out the posters we've accumulated so far. :siren: I figure this is classified as :nws:, so watch out. :siren:

Now, I have a pretty big problem with these posters, and it's not what one would expect. My problem is that they drew most of these pictures as opposed to making them with the in-game models (exception being the Tawni one, but that was probably because they wanted to put less effort into a poster that was just going to end up defaced, and the VV one, which you can also get from VV herself alongside an autographed picture of her which is worth loadsamoney if you were nice to her, by the way). That might sound like a nitpick, but to me, it's kind of major, because it goes against one of the big strengths this game has. One of the things that people always remember about this game next to the excellent atmosphere, memorable characters, and those sewers is that the facial animation was loving mind-blowing for its time, and still holds up as really good today. Because of that, a player tends to pay a lot of attention to the faces once they notice this, and because of that, the faces get burned into your mind together with the character, much more so than in other games, where you might remember the character and their voice, but didn't pay particular attention to their face, just their general build and key characteristics.

Because of that, when I look at this poster of Jeanette, I don't see Jeanette. I see somebody else, made to look like Jeanette. When I think Jeanette...

Part VII posted:

...I see this in my mind's eye, imperfections coming from being a video game model and all. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm kind of disappointed Troika didn't notice that their models really make an impression on the player and didn't make these posters with them. That, and this picture of Jeanette looks loving weird to me. Same with the third one - which is the Kuei-Jin one, by the way. That actually is supposed to be Ming-Xiao, and she looks fairly different in-game as well. We'll get to her when we get to Chinatown, but that'll be next time.

For now, there's one last thing to be shown, and we find it in Hollywood.

To be exact, we're going to be going back to the Luckee Star motel for a little easter egg.

There's a room, locked with a hard lock, that holds a computer for us to check out.

First, let's check out "printer".

I have no idea if that actually does anything, and I'm not going to run around checking every printer in the game. Let's check out "easter eggs" instead. It's locked with a password, that being "lycans". We could have found this on a note in the back room in the entrance area, but, you know, 9 Hacking and poo poo.

What? Let's see what this "hint" is about...

I... what? ...hm, I guess...

You should probably watch this. Seriously.

...so, what the gently caress was that?

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 3, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fuckin Bone Gnashers.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You like the remington? Isn't that a sniper rifle, for a game where 99% of all enemies are in close-to-medium range, making it rather useless for, you know, sniping?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

double nine posted:

You like the remington? Isn't that a sniper rifle, for a game where 99% of all enemies are in close-to-medium range, making it rather useless for, you know, sniping?

Yeah, it doesn't seem all that great, but it packs a serious punch, and comes in handy particularly for one long combat segment that we have to go through later. Plus, it's a loving sniper rifle. It's a similar argument with the Magnum. It's got POW, and it's a loving Magnum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
You might not think so, but there are a couple spots where that thing comes in real handy when you wanna reach out and touch someone.

Also, that poster of Ming Xiao is obviously from her younger days. What other reason could there possibly be for her to look different? :confused:

• Locked thread