Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Solartide posted:

Yeah, wanting to slam but not jumping off a high enough platform was disappointing, but on the flip side, fire element was relevant for once. Until you ran into the power suits.

You can slam in normal gravity if you boost upwards immediately after jumping. You have to get used to the motion though, because you only have a split second to slam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I disagree a bit there - I saw it as a little more like that scene in Breaking Bad where Walt finds out there's a piece missing from the broken plate, and starts freaking out when he realizes the guy he's holding prisoner in the basement took it and plans on killing him with it, except instead of "nonononono" it's anger directed squarely at Meriff for having to make him kill him. He didn't want to kill him, and had turned around to leave him there, but that rear end in a top hat had to take a few shots at Jack. I wouldn't say it's at the who lives/dies level of narcissism, but definitely anger at Meriff not following according to the plan, resulting in Jack having to gun him down.

The Pre-Sequel is definitely a game in which Jack develops from middle management(?) with at least a passing interest in saving lives - his arguments with Zarp about how the people she's killing are just innocent workers/moonstralians - to evil guy who will blast scientists out of an airlock on the thin pretense that one of them might have been a traitor. The game's kid-gloves treatment of this transition is what I like about it, it isn't some subtle shift in tone, he starts the game wanting to stop Zarpedon from murdering innocent people, including putting himself at risk by staying on Helios, and finishes it by jettisoning scientists into space and fooling a random Dahl guy into getting shot out of the Moonshot cannon because it seems like a good idea and hey this guy right here is a good test subject, who cares about him dying.

All the while his errand-running vault hunters are slaughtering people by the dozen.

Based on Jack's behavior in this game I would classify him as a mentally ill sociopath.

The vault hunters are just regular sociopaths who work for money.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dyz posted:

Based on Jack's behavior in this game I would classify him as a mentally ill sociopath.

Well yeah, he's middle management in a huge corporation.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
yea lilith acts really wack in this game

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

She clearly has issues with the fact that her irresponsible, devil-may-care attitude is what got Roland and thousands of other people killed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I realized today that Athena's Aspis really, really likes rockets. My new strategy in battle is to bring up the shield, pull out a rocket launcher, the run up to people and fire at the ground between us. :black101:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

deadly_pudding posted:

I finally got to RK5 and found out what you all were super mad about :negative:

I consistently get it down to like 40% health and then die from a nuke with nothing near me to second-wind off of. All my good weapons are lasers that can only reach it when I'm jumping from the center platform. It is a super gross gear check.

If you exit the elevator and to the left and up there is a jump pad that shoots you all the way across the arena to another one which jumps you back. Both have O2 stations next to them, and all you do is jump back and forth and you're never really in any danger*. The sniper rifles that are a little lower damage but have high fire rates and big mags make short work of RK5 due to his big crit hitboxes.

*sometimes you're in danger when RK5 plants himself in front of the jump pad while you're soaring towards it, just air maneuver out of the way.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Knightmare posted:

exit the elevator

never do this

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I tried doing the 'never exit the elevator' but I could never actually shoot RK5 because every single add was always standing right outside the elevator doorway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was playing earlier and some kind of glitch happened where my shield was stuck in recharge mode. Not "oh it's at 0 wait a few seconds" but "literally cannot die unless I receive my entire shield's capacity in damage from a single hit."

It happened during the weird cave full of baby-hurling eridians (the one where you need to get the various elemental things for bongtrap or bluntwrap or whatever you want to call him) when all of a sudden I noticed I wasn't taking HP damage anymore and kept hearing this beeping noise which sounded curiously like the "shields fully charged" beep. Lasted through the boss fights (those were goddamn hilarious) and persisted after returning to Elpis.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lilith was probably the most intolerable character in this game for me. She's like a living embodiment of "cool" as defined by a 14-year-old DeviantArt user.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Lilith was probably the most intolerable character in this game for me. She's like a living embodiment of "cool" as defined by a 14-year-old DeviantArt user.

Would that mean Mordecai is the same deviant art user at like 21-22?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

FAUXTON posted:

Would that mean Mordecai is the same deviant art user at like 21-22?

Mordecai is at least self-aware enough of his predicament to be drunk all the time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hate to beat a dying horse but the only way to make Lilith's characterization remotely comprehensible is imagining she's actually going to go full villain at some point. I can't get myself to actually believe it for a moment (it's probably the least self-aware part of the entire game), but hey this series looks real down on bad people that think they're good people.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i think her reaction to jack is fair considering it at least contrasts how roland feels about the whole situation what with the genuine apology. you at least might get the sense one of the vault hunters appreciates what Jack is trying to do, at least before he goes fully psycho delusional.

but its dealing with athena where the whole thing falls apart. interrogation if fine as the framing device but she takes hating her way too far and just becomes unreasonable. a lot of malice for no real reason especially since athena stop working for jack most likely right after all the stuff went down at the throne.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

i think her reaction to jack is fair considering it at least contrasts how roland feels about the whole situation what with the genuine apology. you at least might get the sense one of the vault hunters appreciates what Jack is trying to do, at least before he goes fully psycho delusional.

but its dealing with athena where the whole thing falls apart. interrogation if fine as the framing device but she takes hating her way too far and just becomes unreasonable. a lot of malice for no real reason especially since athena stop working for jack most likely right after all the stuff went down at the throne.

Athena really doesn't come into the picture as being an effect on the situation. Nisha and Wilhelm could have brought him into power just the same, and Lilith could have killed Jack in the Vault, but didn't because she's just too drat cool. Roland, Angel, Bloodwing, possibly Tiny Tina's parents, the Crimson Raiders, everyone is dead because of Lilith. Lucky for her Brick is an idiot and Mordecai is drunk all the time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

That and Lilith is like 1000 times more guilty on the "not killing Jack when you had the chance" charge, since she walked right next to him to punch him.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Also, did you know that you can get Moxxi's toy chest to respawn when you enter through Moxxi's Back Door (tee hee), and again whenever you start up a game that has you spawning at the back door entrance? Did you also know that you can grind her Laser to make purple lasers or sell it for a nice chunk of change?

Because I think grinding her Vibro-Pulses has replaced the slot machine as my new ingame passtime.

Please tell me how this sounds awesome.

Also sorry I haven't been on to play, I got Boned.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

FAUXTON posted:

I was playing earlier and some kind of glitch happened where my shield was stuck in recharge mode. Not "oh it's at 0 wait a few seconds" but "literally cannot die unless I receive my entire shield's capacity in damage from a single hit."

It happened during the weird cave full of baby-hurling eridians (the one where you need to get the various elemental things for bongtrap or bluntwrap or whatever you want to call him) when all of a sudden I noticed I wasn't taking HP damage anymore and kept hearing this beeping noise which sounded curiously like the "shields fully charged" beep. Lasted through the boss fights (those were goddamn hilarious) and persisted after returning to Elpis.

Yeah, I've had this happen to me multiple times before, but I don't know exactly what causes it. It seems to only happen around Tycho's Ribs/Eleseer. I used it to farm the raidboss solo a couple of times.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Jack the Doppleganger looks like it'll be FUNNNN to play as. Go forth, expendable minions!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm really curious to see how he reacts to the airlock scene. And the basketball speech of course.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Now that I think about it, with the way the Narrative is set up, Tina could feasibly be a character.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dyz posted:

Be fair. Some of them are psychopaths.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mycot posted:

That and Lilith is like 1000 times more guilty on the "not killing Jack when you had the chance" charge, since she walked right next to him to punch him.

I don't really agree that Lilith could have killed Jack since Jack's Vault Hunter team was right there and Lilith hanging around any longer would have turned into a battle royale that she could only have lost.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think that Bunkers and Badasses in BL2 taught us that Lilith is a selfish, insecure child. She's literally a nerdy kid who grew up obsessed with being cool and having her secret clubhouse.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't really agree that Lilith could have killed Jack since Jack's Vault Hunter team was right there and Lilith hanging around any longer would have turned into a battle royale that she could only have lost.

Should've brought her Double Anarchies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe Lilith becomes addicted to Eridium and has to be put down.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe Lilith becomes is addicted to Eridium and has to be put down.

Fixed that for you.

I mean, it's pretty obvious from Lilith's missions that she's addicted to the stuff, it just never has any consequences in the course of Borderlands 2.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think that Bunkers and Badasses in BL2 taught us that Lilith is a selfish, insecure child. She's literally a nerdy kid who grew up obsessed with being cool and having her secret clubhouse.

I really should play more of the BL2 DLC huh?

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe Lilith becomes addicted to Eridium and has to be put down.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fixed that for you.

I mean, it's pretty obvious from Lilith's missions that she's addicted to the stuff, it just never has any consequences in the course of Borderlands 2.

Nah, i think all the crazy she's done so far so far is good enough reason to cause some introspection. This being the borderlands universe, that introspection is delivered by medium of :torgue: EXPLOSIONS! :torgue:

BL3, Torgue takes up counciling to help Pandora's troubled residents with his unique brand of Explosion therapy! its a whole load of fireworks to cheer people up. :ssh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 4, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Funny then how she did have time to act cool, say "Sup", punch Jack, then sashay out like a badass. Maybe if she spent some more time being effective and less time trying to look cool, people around her wouldn't die.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
And thus you get to the truth of Lilith, all style, no substance.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If "sup" isn't a cool enough word for you then you got problems

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thyrork posted:

And thus you get to the truth of Lilith, all style, no substance.

She saved Sanctuary that one time, though that was a joint effort with Scooter and Roland putting in most of the work there too. You could even say their system was a failsafe in case Lilith tried any poo poo with the city.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I think the trouble is that right now there's nobody who can jerk Lilith up short and make her take a look at herself. At least with Roland she had a friend and equal who could've sat her down and talked with her. Mordecai's a drunk and doesn't really care much about anything, Brick is an idiot who only cares about punching and awesomeness. Nobody else is really close with Lilith. I really hope in the next game there's someone who can address Lilith's behaviour and help bring about some character development. Ordering Athena's execution is understandable, considering she's still feeling raw over Roland's death, but Lilith really needs someone who can make her realise that was a wrong move. Heck, maybe come Borderlands 3 it'll be Athena filling that role, providing the voice of leadership and reason that the vault hunters and the Lance need, and that neither Lilith, Brick or Mordecai can provide.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Lone Badger posted:

Well even if you ignore the "you sure had the time to give a one liner" problem, that still makes her more guilty than Athena...who logically would have been around the other Vault Hunters constantly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lilith really just needs to be completely removed from the game with no explanation as to where she went, it'd be like 45% better instantly.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Fought the powersuit guy in Eye of Helios the first time yesterday and he dropped the shooting star. Whelp looks like I should respec my elemental Athena to a melee build.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wyld Karde posted:

Heck, maybe come Borderlands 3 it'll be Athena filling that role, providing the voice of leadership and reason that the vault hunters and the Lance need, and that neither Lilith, Brick or Mordecai can provide.

I think it should be Maya honestly, she's probably the most sane person left on the whole drat planet.

But it kinda feels like the BL2 vault hunters have been left by the wayside. :ohdear: My last real hope to see anything else out of them is the Telltale game, which at least has Zer0 in it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I think it should be Maya honestly, she's probably the most sane person left on the whole drat planet.

But it kinda feels like the BL2 vault hunters have been left by the wayside. :ohdear: My last real hope to see anything else out of them is the Telltale game, which at least has Zer0 in it.

If there is no dialogue tree with Krieg it will be the greatest missed opportunity of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

mycot posted:

If there is no dialogue tree with Krieg it will be the greatest missed opportunity of all time.

It could be a mini puzzle, trying to figure out what he is saying and what to say back to him.

mycot posted:

Well even if you ignore the "you sure had the time to give a one liner" problem, that still makes her more guilty than Athena...who logically would have been around the other Vault Hunters constantly.

It's even arguable that punching Jack was a purely negative move. She could have NOT punched him. He still knew about the Warrior, and branding his face like that did seem to make him even crazier. He might have actually become more wise, given time with the relic, as Zapadon did. They show us no good outcome of punching him. Just another dumb thing she does to feel cool.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 4, 2014

• Locked thread