Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Don't look up Thundermaw Hellkite.

I was wondering earlier, does thundermaw being a 5/5 with a decent but not always useful second ability completely outshine the fact that for 1 less power, stormbreath gets to completely avoid getting hit by path to exile? It seems like pro white would be relevant and otherwise they both die to the same removal.

Ed: I guess the tapdown is probably more useful than I'm giving credit, but pro white still seems worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

GR Tron Pie: You place three pieces of pie together, and then a metal man riding on a flying coral reef swings buy and wipes your opponent's pie and fork from existence. Sometimes, you wind up with two pies and two forks.

Honestly I hope M16 winds up being the set where they print a bunch of the powerful coreset rares finally get reprinted after so long or just stuff that shouldn't be overwhelmingly expensive.

Ranging from the strong but simple Birds of Paradise to the busted as gently caress Snapcaster Mage.

But hey I can dream.

My deep-cut theory is that M16 will be Modern Master 2. Just remember where you heard it first folks!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I was wondering earlier, does thundermaw being a 5/5 with a decent but not always useful second ability completely outshine the fact that for 1 less power, stormbreath gets to completely avoid getting hit by path to exile? It seems like pro white would be relevant and otherwise they both die to the same removal.

Ed: I guess the tapdown is probably more useful than I'm giving credit, but pro white still seems worth considering.

Do either of them get played in Modern? I think Jund tried to use Thundermaw for a bit. The thing about Thundermaw is you're almost guaranteed to get that first hit in without being chump-blocked. It was also in the same Standard with Lingering Souls, which made it extra good.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The both have ups and down obviously. Thundermaws big strength is that its almost always a lava axe at the very least since ht taps down anything that can block him. Following up the next turn with a second Thundermaw is even more back breaking. During its time in standard there was a a deck called "Sledgehammer Red" that was more or less an aggro deck where if you survived the initial onslaught of 2 and 3 drops the rain of Thundermaws would be sure to get you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
LED Dredge pie: Your opponent sets a nice-looking pie in front of you. You cut it open, and out pop four and twenty zombies that snap off your nose. :zombie:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
UG madness pie: throw your pie away and then reveal that you never actually threw it away, in fact it is even bigger than it was before. Then kick them into a hole.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wadjamaloo posted:

The both have ups and down obviously. Thundermaws big strength is that its almost always a lava axe at the very least since ht taps down anything that can block him. Following up the next turn with a second Thundermaw is even more back breaking. During its time in standard there was a a deck called "Sledgehammer Red" that was more or less an aggro deck where if you survived the initial onslaught of 2 and 3 drops the rain of Thundermaws would be sure to get you.

Is Sledgehammer Red even possible now?

Because I totally want to play a deck called Sledgehammer Red.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Eggs pie: You only brought the raw ingredients for a pie, and your opponent spends the next hour watching you bake it.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I used to play skred red quite a bit, and I was using stormbreath more and more over Thunder maw because protection from white is just nuts in the format. Not only does it shut down path, but it also laughs at angel pod, which at the time I was playing was the most popular local version. One day I'll have to put it back together and try other alternatives like demigod of revenge and inferno titan.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Eggs pie: You only brought the raw ingredients for a pie, and your opponent spends the next hour watching you bake it.

:pusheen: now I know why I've always enjoyed playing it and against it. It's like watching the food network!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Casual Pie: You put all your favorite ingredients in it, but it turned out just okay.

OfChristandMen posted:

Caw Blade: A pigeon pie, but the pigeons have cocktail swords and a man in a cloak removes your pie while the pigeons bludgeon you to death with a battering ram.

I read that as battering ham somehow. Now I am imagining a battering ham.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Show and Tell pie: you just throw your pie at your opponent's face.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

vOv posted:

Show and Tell pie: you and your opponent just throw your pies at your opponent'seach other's face.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Speak quietly and carry a big pie.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Maze's End Pie: Inside your pie is ten different fruits. If you can find them all, you achieve Pievana.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Trix pie: You give your opponent cereal and then they die.

Where does piechat fall on the bingo board?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Elspeth vs Kiora? Gonna buy 4 of those baby!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Elspeth vs Kiora? Gonna buy 4 of those baby!
For what purpose?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I for one hope M16 will be Return to Dominaria and just have a crapload of cards that directly reference the old storylines, but updated to actually make sense in a modern environment. Kinda like Time Spiral without all the crazy.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Storm pie: You eat little bits of your pie in such a fashion that you never get full. Then you vomit all the pie back up, eat it again, then vomit it at your opponent's pie, rendering it inedible.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Goddammit, Wizards, I know it's hard to believe, but some women that date/marry magic players want to do stuff other than hang around game stores on Valentine's Day.

Fate Reforged game day is Feb. 14.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Goddammit, Wizards, I know it's hard to believe, but some women that date/marry magic players want to do stuff other than hang around game stores on Valentine's Day.

my fave thing about last year's Bazaar of Moxen was that it started on valentine's day, in Paris, the city in France

yeah, folks, I'd love to go to Paris in mid-February to hang out with other Magic players, why do you ask?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kizudarake posted:

Sounds like the hottest date in town :heysexy:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
They're just doing those relationships a favor, by providing an easy way to ascertain whether (s)he is Really The One.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

More to the point, they're giving us unloved nerds something half decent to do.

All of you with partners dont get to complain.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've never played in a game day, being a draft for my cube to cube and cube only sort of fellow, but isn't game day a two day event at better stores?

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
For Valentine's Day, play nothing but Red/White decks. Get on with the theme!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Jeskai Ascendancy pie- You start off with a little pie monster that grows every-time you throw food at it.You then throw ingredients at it hoping it will hit, which magically makes more ingredients to appear in your hand, which in turn makes the pie monster bigger. You then reach out your hand, grab the ingredients out of the monster and then repeat the process, occasionally going on a cruise or digging for even more ingredients you need until you have a big enough pie monster to bury your opponent under mountains of dough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Spiderdrake posted:

I've never played in a game day, being a draft for my cube to cube and cube only sort of fellow, but isn't game day a two day event at better stores?

Well, it depends. Small stores get to run one Game Day flight, larger stores get to run two.

The FLGS chain here used to run one each day at each shop, but for KTK (and presumably going forwards) has started having one shop run Saturday flights and the other shop do Sunday. Which is good, because you can play twice as much as before if you're willing to devote an entire day to Magic but not your entire weekend, or you can just play the whole weekend away if you're in a position to get to both places.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My local store runs two flights on Saturday, as they aren't open on Sunday.

Makes sense, considering it's owned and run by one guy, with his sons or wife there occasionally to help on busy days, and its' hours are 1p-7p Monday-Thursday, 1p-9p Friday, and 10a-7p Saturdays, extending to 11pm on game days/prereleases so the rpg group can still meet Saturday evening. He's working upwards of 50 hours a week including all the stuff he does for the store outside hours that they're open.

Found out a couple weeks ago that he used to run Sword of the Knight publications, which published Traveller Chronicle(for traveller), Shadowlands(for Shadowrun) and Earthdawn Journal for Earthdawn, when he asked if I'd scan a back issue into one PDF for him.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

kizudarake posted:

At the risk of sounding like a goon, valentine's day is a really bogus thing anyway

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I used to think valentines day wasa hallmark holiday but then I remember allthe kinky things I got to do because of a hallmark holiday

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha, best username+avatar+post combo.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Valentine's Day is amateur hour at every date spot. Go the day after and get a waiter that isn't crumbling under the pressure of 15 guys each needing this night to go perfect. If your date is anything other than completely superficial, he/she won't mind going a day late. Flowers and teddy bears go on sale too.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I last played MTG 8+ or so years ago, but going to PAX Australia hooked me back in. I got the Khan's Big box set, and the 2015 box set, but I'm confused on what type of game I should start off with at a store. Which is better for a newbie to try: Commander, Standard or Booster Draft? I played a sealed deck tournament at PAX and won 2 games out of 4 (and would have won 2 more if I hadn't made a stupid mistake), though I was playing other players like me (all 3 had come back to the the game after many years just for PAX).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 4, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Comstar posted:

Which is better for a newbie to try: Commander, Standard or Booster Draft?

Standard is closest to what I'd consider "baseline Magic", but if it's in a semi-competitive environment (even just FNM), chances are you might just get stomped by some rear end in a top hat who threw $500 at his deck, which is the opposite of fun. Commander is a casual multiplayer (i.e. 3+ players) format with specially constructed 100-card singleton (i.e. max 1 of each card) decks and a Legendary creature as your "Commander". It can be fun if you're into that, but you probably shouldn't start with it.

Booster draft is fun, can be casual, and you're guaranteed to be relying on your skill alone and not throwing money at your deck, so that's a plus. On the other hand, drafting comes with its own set of unique skills you need to have in order to actually be good at it. But, if you just want to play casually and don't worry too much about 4-0ing an FNM or whatever, give it a shot. It'll get you exposed to a lot of cards if nothing else. Beware though that when drafting at like store events, you usually don't necessarily get to keep rares you draft since they tend to form the prize pool.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Standard is closest to what I'd consider "baseline Magic", but if it's in a semi-competitive environment (even just FNM), chances are you might just get stomped by some rear end in a top hat who threw $500 at his deck, which is the opposite of fun. Commander is a casual multiplayer (i.e. 3+ players) format with specially constructed 100-card singleton (i.e. max 1 of each card) decks and a Legendary creature as your "Commander". It can be fun if you're into that, but you probably shouldn't start with it.

Booster draft is fun, can be casual, and you're guaranteed to be relying on your skill alone and not throwing money at your deck, so that's a plus. On the other hand, drafting comes with its own set of unique skills you need to have in order to actually be good at it. But, if you just want to play casually and don't worry too much about 4-0ing an FNM or whatever, give it a shot. It'll get you exposed to a lot of cards if nothing else. Beware though that when drafting at like store events, you usually don't necessarily get to keep rares you draft since they tend to form the prize pool.

I would vote booster draft too, it's the most level playing field, and you need to be familiar with a smaller card base to be good at it. Depending on how rares are handled it can also lead into standard through building a collection and trading.

Don't let that put you off buying one of the new commander decks though, if that's the reason you ask. I regard the format as something you move into from the "serious" ones as a way to build more distinctive and personal decks with favourite cards and ones not normally playable in the 60 card formats, and not knowing so many cards or 20+ years of keywords might be a handicap, not that it's something to be taken seriously. If you have a good group you could have a great time with one of the preconstructed decks.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Comstar posted:

I last played MTG 8+ or so years ago, but going to PAX Australia hooked me back in. I got the Khan's Big box set, and the 2015 box set, but I'm confused on what type of game I should start off with at a store. Which is better for a newbie to try: Commander, Standard or Booster Draft? I played a sealed deck tournament at PAX and won 2 games out of 4 (and would have won 2 more if I hadn't made a stupid mistake), though I was playing other players like me (all 3 had come back to the the game after many years just for PAX).

How comfortable are you with the actual mechanics of the game? Booster draft is great and all, and I do mean that, I love draft, but it does require you have a good working knowledge of how to decipher and interpret what cards do on the fly. Its a great way to get exposed to a lot of cards, but can be incredibly difficult early on. If you feel comfortable reading and understanding cards on the fly, then draft IS the ideal way to get your feet wet in a competitive scene. Other than that, playing some form of red sligh deck in standard is the other good way. That will expose you to less cards, but WILL expose you to more of what types of cards are powerful now. The way standard, and magic in general works is vastly different from 8 years ago, with the biggest difference being how powerful creatures are.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you came from that long ago and still have your old affinity deck, just update it and play modern. Sadly the artifact lands are banned but it's still a decent deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Comstar posted:

I would actually play more sealed if possible, draft is more fun if you're experienced imo but if you don't have a handle on what your deck needs when drafting, it can be frustrating.

• Locked thread