Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

:zaeed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

google's eu problems is why mg siegler is there now so they can show that they're "investing in europe" even tho the piddly amount of money they're gonna deploy on start ups will probably be 90% in london for their silicon valley clone

Google eu problems exist solely in your head

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

The Management posted:

given the choice between google and Germany, I'm probably gonna have to go with the goog.

no more racism in yospos

ufarn
May 30, 2009
EU already passed their Right to Be Forgotten, I’m sure they’ll figure out another way to piss off Google.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

google should just default to handling these cases as "you know what, you're right and we're sorry, we have blurred the image at your request and here is a $10 gift card to the google play store" or some poo poo.

i don't think there is a legit "information wants to be free" case to be made for when someone who was photographed at their home wants the photo removed/obscured, for any reason, be it visible cleavage or just walking in a suit from your car to your front door.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

"we can do anything, we can improve the lives of all humanity" -- an advertising company

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Forums Terrorist posted:

you mean "lol at tory backbenchers"

man, i can't keep up with all these namechanges

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

PleasureKevin posted:

proof google is for the poors

this is screenshots form their Inbox site.

You could have stopped at 0000o Koodo LTE and I would have known it was something for poors

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google’s Nexus Player: More prototype than finished product
Google's new TV platform looks toward the future but falls short in the present.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

keep expectations low by keeping all products in a "new" or beta state, even when you've had products in that category for years.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
wait
is this running the old google tv or the android tv or the nexus q thing?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

AtomD posted:

maybe

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

AtomD posted:

wait

yes yes it is

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/03/larry-page-google-dont-be-evil-sergey-brin

quote:

Questioned as to whether Google needs to alter its mission statement, which was twinned with the company mantra “don’t be evil, for the next stage of company growth in an interview with the Financial Times, Page responded: “We’re in a bit of uncharted territory. We’re trying to figure it out. How do we use all these resources … and have a much more positive impact on the world?”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when google ipo'd and suddenly had this repulsive idea of "shareholder value" to uphold, they clarified their don't be evil policy as (paraphrased) "we think that being evil to people makes them dislike the company and stop using our products, reducing our cash flow, so it is our feeling that we shouldn't be evil to people in the short term because it leads to more profit in the long term." forget where to find it now but it's spelled out in very similar language to that on their website somewhere.

the implication of course, is that if they could find a way to make more money being evil, well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also note that their ipo was in two thousand and loving four, so they've been running with that for a tech-world eternity now. it shouldn't be the least bit surprising when they do something that is, in fact, evil

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
being evil is bad for business

if something is good for business, it is by definition not evil

qed

:smug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

being evil is bad for business

if something is good for business, it is by definition not evil

qed

:smug:

checks out

pram
Jun 10, 2001
swear fealty to your corporation peasant

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

this is cool because larry was actually only asked about the mission statement ("organize the world's information blah blah") but for some reason??? the guardian tells us the wording of a completely different and irrelevant thing larry wasn't asked about at all, which makes it look like he's answering a question about that different thing instead of the thing he actually answered a question about

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"don't be evil" is a marketing line crafted to make slashdot nerds cheer for an advertising company. coincidentally google's employees are also slashdot nerds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
don't be evil is something one of them said while high in his dorm room and the other said "no dude we should totally put that on the site"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
be awesome
to each other

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

be awesome
to each other

air guitar cures air pollution

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

echinopsis posted:

be awesome
to each other

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

be awesomeexcellent
to each other

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
and party on, dudes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uVwVUVsbY

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
suck cock every day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress

i ruined the perfect opportunity

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just told my wife about my fail

she said "uh... did ya"

while not looking at me once

my life

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

echinopsis posted:

i just told my wife about my fail

she said "uh... did ya"

while not looking at me once

my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4an5bT-vY8

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

the scene where they accidentally wind up in the future make me tear up a little :3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
also, i love that this article talks about the movie with a straight face: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dazjw posted:

this is cool because larry was actually only asked about the mission statement ("organize the world's information blah blah") but for some reason??? the guardian tells us the wording of a completely different and irrelevant thing larry wasn't asked about at all, which makes it look like he's answering a question about that different thing instead of the thing he actually answered a question about

do you have corporate pr handlers that help you defend your employer on every floor right next to the snack bar, bins of clean clothes, and ball pit?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do you have corporate pr handlers that help you defend your employer on every floor right next to the snack bar, bins of clean clothes, and ball pit?

no the power of basic reading comprehension was enough to get me through this one

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
news places are really bad about this

even if you answer in a complete sentence they will cut up your answer to make it sound how they like

request a live interview as a solid segment and no commercial breaks for that segment next time larry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"i dont hate niggers" gets taken out of context so easily

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010