Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Okay catchup time:

Dr. Faustus posted:

C) Is there a C? I recommended the Pacifica to Gnarly based on his preferences with a couple caveats: lovely stock pickups, and string-spacing. I did not go into Squires, Teles, or any form of (Gibson) 24 and 3/4" scale guitars because the quality is really hit-or-miss and I don't like the short scale at all.
My pacifica neck feels the best of any neck I've ever played, in my hands (the fretwork isn't as good as some others) - maybe because that was what I got used to, but the spacing works really well, this is the first complaint I've heard...
My biggest complaint by far would be the limitation on aftermarket parts, as the spec is different to fender.

quote:

Lastly, Sleepflower said something about this guitar growing on him and you guys spoiled it. Well, that isn't fair.
It's on the front page four times and I'm gonna remind you why I think it's awesome:

It's a JEM, with most of the best JEM appoinments, and some that didn't exist when the first JEMs came out (e.g. the all-access-neck.)
It plays like a JEM, but with an even cooler five-piece neck with a volute.
It takes the now retro JEM and makes it cooler retro by finishing it in Seafoam Green, which I know from many posters in this thread is pretty popular, and is even cooler still by having the Vine inlay in SFG as well. Add in the pearloid pickguard and you've got one very appealing guitar. It's still light, has great tone, has a stupid handle that's fun but can be ignored; and it's just hot.
You're really, really not helping either, but I don't actually hate JEMs aside from the monkey grip and how many horrible color schemes there are, and also Vai.

pfs Write posted:

:shepface:

e: SpoonfulOfFaustus
lmao

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am the best poster I can be, even here.
Scariest post in the thread.

muike posted:

it's a really good album but i just think of the niggerstomper manifesto every time it comes up
At the risk of a derail, the manifesto is funnier with wordfilters on:

quote:

im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "friend of the family balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of fyad humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Quilted Maple. 34 Frets. Stupid inlays. Urggggahhh.

Jesus Christ everything about this is bad. Those pearl topped knobs are the worst, especially in that shape (I assume the gold part is plated plastic unlike dome knobs where it makes marginally more sense).

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just got back from the mountains a little while ago. I'm sorry I didn't keep up with the thread but I wanted to have a hatred-free experience for a few days.
Anyway, I'm back to answer whatever questions you have.

A) When I was a kid I watched Van Halen Live Without a Net and I wanted a trans-trem Steinberger (sp?) so bad. Then Michael Hedges came along and said, "gently caress you Eddie, you stupid rocker, this is what you do with a trans-trem!" (See links at the bottom of the post, please.)
Personally, though,my first stringed instrument was a Lotus bass with a 'berger licensed trem and buying double-ball-end strings for it was a nightmare. Not worth it, guitar or bass.

B) The freight trains that run by the inn where we stay on vacation are oddly soothing, but I'm not much into trains in general. They don't matter much to me except when I see CSX ads on TV saying, "Hey, we move tons of freight on 1 gallon of gas for 100 miles" or some such bullshit I cringe. Freight is my day job and they are just pulling numbers out of their asses to impress people. That said, rail is a good way to move large loads, it's just too bad they keep blowing up small towns with their lovely regulations and old-rear end tanker cars.

C) Is there a C? I recommended the Pacifica to Gnarly based on his preferences with a couple caveats: lovely stock pickups, and string-spacing. I did not go into Squires, Teles, or any form of (Gibson) 24 and 3/4" scale guitars because the quality is really hit-or-miss and I don't like the short scale at all.

Lastly, Sleepflower said something about this guitar growing on him and you guys spoiled it. Well, that isn't fair.
It's on the front page four times and I'm gonna remind you why I think it's awesome:

It's a JEM, with most of the best JEM appoinments, and some that didn't exist when the first JEMs came out (e.g. the all-access-neck.)
It plays like a JEM, but with an even cooler five-piece neck with a volute.
It takes the now retro JEM and makes it cooler retro by finishing it in Seafoam Green, which I know from many posters in this thread is pretty popular, and is even cooler still by having the Vine inlay in SFG as well. Add in the pearloid pickguard and you've got one very appealing guitar. It's still light, has great tone, has a stupid handle that's fun but can be ignored; and it's just hot.

Or maybe I am the measure of this thread?

Please, don't. It's not worth it.

Added Michael Hedges Trans-Trem (please listen, music really was better when he was alive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUGC11NFeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZeUNXuoYA

i made your guitar playable:

also please tell me that sheet music on the wall is the upcoming thomas the tank engine composition you're working on

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 4, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ThePutty posted:

i made your guitar playable:

also please tell me that sheet music on the wall is the upcoming thomas the tank engine composition you're working on

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

Scariest post in the thread.
I think you've paraphrased me slightly incorrectly but it's cool, man. What I was saying was that my posts in this horrible loving thread are perfectly suited for this horrible loving thread. Elsewhere, outside of FYAD I mean GBS, I don't post like this.

I don't expect you to like something that bothers you. It's just that this is and has always been a hate-gently caress thread. You're pretty cool.

I'll never get the pants thing but I'm not a fan of whatever the gently caress that stupid as hell poo poo's from. Some worn-the-gently caress-out GBS check-box poll option that means nothing to me.

bunky posted:

fautist, did you actually get laid for once on your dumb vacation because you're feisty as gently caress. also i have no loving clue what youre talking about

(hint: neither do you)
It's as clear as the bright clear azure sky I drove home under today, carbunkles. I had an awesome vacation, which is why it gives me such joy to bring you these undeniable tidings of great joy:

There's no Pot:Kettle:Black problem for you because you are, in fact, blacker than both the Pot and the Kettle; and you should know better than to weep about it by now. If you knew better than to speak up you'd not be wondering about anything; but such contemplation is beyond you.
You should never be confused about this. Just lie flat and roll in it. Wallow in it like the loving languid weak sow you are. Make the most of it. Couple with ThePutty as you were meant to.

(this of course is a monologue from the evil Mirror Universe Dr. Faustus from page 259)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 4, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

There's no Pot:Kettle:Black problem for you because you are, in fact, blacker than both the Pot and the Kettle; and you should know better than to weep about it by now.

this sounds really racist fyi

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

You should never be confused about this. Just lie flat and roll in it. Wallow in it like the loving languid weak sow you are. Make the most of it. Couple with ThePutty as you were meant to.

(this of course is a monologue from the evil Mirror Universe Dr. Faustus from page 259)

i think he's telling us to make out

do you want to make out with me, bunky

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ThePutty posted:

i think he's telling us to make out

do you want to make out with me, bunky

i mean yes, but not because he told us to or anything

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Hey Dr. Faustus, do you like Mystery Science Theatre 3000? I hope you do, because I love it. The main reason I'm posting about it because of this one line in their opening theme song that they have never changed in over 10 years:

"Repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax"

I think this could apply to you and this thread. I'm not saying don't post in it, but rather just stop engaging with the trolls and ignore them. You have a lot to offer, a lot of guitar experience, that's for sure. But don't let these trolls derail you. Focus on your guitar posting and don't worry about the bunkys.

Also, thank you for responding to my PMs and being very nice and helpful.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Hey Dr faustus, your goofy soliloquy might sound brooding and important if not for the fact that you are a harmless 50 year old dork with too many guitars and not enough brain cells.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Doctor Faustus is the protagonist and tragic hero of Marlowe’s play. He is a contradictory character, capable of tremendous eloquence and possessing awesome ambition, yet prone to a strange, almost willful blindness and a willingness to waste powers that he has gained at great cost. When we first meet Faustus, he is just preparing to embark on his career as a magician, and while we already anticipate that things will turn out badly (the Chorus’s introduction, if nothing else, prepares us), there is nonetheless a grandeur to Faustus as he contemplates all the marvels that his magical powers will produce. He imagines piling up wealth from the four corners of the globe, reshaping the map of Europe (both politically and physically), and gaining access to every scrap of knowledge about the universe. He is an arrogant, self-aggrandizing man, but his ambitions are so grand that we cannot help being impressed, and we even feel sympathetic toward him. He represents the spirit of the Renaissance, with its rejection of the medieval, God-centered universe, and its embrace of human possibility. Faustus, at least early on in his acquisition of magic, is the personification of possibility.

But Faustus also possesses an obtuseness that becomes apparent during his bargaining sessions with Mephastophilis. Having decided that a pact with the devil is the only way to fulfill his ambitions, Faustus then blinds himself happily to what such a pact actually means. Sometimes he tells himself that hell is not so bad and that one needs only “fortitude”; at other times, even while conversing with Mephastophilis, he remarks to the disbelieving demon that he does not actually believe hell exists. Meanwhile, despite his lack of concern about the prospect of eternal damnation, -Faustus is also beset with doubts from the beginning, setting a pattern for the play in which he repeatedly approaches repentance only to pull back at the last moment. Why he fails to repent is unclear: -sometimes it seems a matter of pride and continuing ambition, sometimes a conviction that God will not hear his plea. Other times, it seems that Mephastophilis simply bullies him away from repenting.

Bullying Faustus is less difficult than it might seem, because Marlowe, after setting his protagonist up as a grandly tragic figure of sweeping visions and immense ambitions, spends the middle scenes revealing Faustus’s true, petty nature. Once Faustus gains his long-desired powers, he does not know what to do with them. Marlowe suggests that this uncertainty stems, in part, from the fact that desire for knowledge leads inexorably toward God, whom Faustus has renounced. But, more generally, absolute power corrupts Faustus: once he can do everything, he no longer wants to do anything. Instead, he traipses around Europe, playing tricks on yokels and performing conjuring acts to impress various heads of state. He uses his incredible gifts for what is essentially trifling entertainment. The fields of possibility narrow gradually, as he visits ever more minor nobles and performs ever more unimportant magic tricks, until the Faustus of the first few scenes is entirely swallowed up in mediocrity. Only in the final scene is Faustus rescued from mediocrity, as the knowledge of his impending doom restores his earlier gift of powerful rhetoric, and he regains his sweeping sense of vision. Now, however, the vision that he sees is of hell looming up to swallow him. Marlowe uses much of his finest poetry to describe Faustus’s final hours, during which Faustus’s desire for repentance finally wins out, although too late. Still, Faustus is restored to his earlier grandeur in his closing speech, with its hurried rush from idea to idea and its despairing, Renaissance-renouncing last line, “I’ll burn my books!” He becomes once again a tragic hero, a great man undone because his ambitions have butted up against the law of God.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Who has the goofier-looking keytar: Lady Gaga or the dude from Dream Theater?

Bonus homemade wooden-sword keytar:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

It's hard to not look cool with a keytar, or hell just holding a keyboard like a guitar.

I am not kidding, I want one. :(

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

It's hard to not look cool with a keytar, or hell just holding a keyboard like a guitar.

I am not kidding, I want one. :(

You can order this shirt on Zazzle

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

how about this alicia keys key-shaped keytar

that actually owns a whole lot now that i think about it

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I swear to god keytars will have their day again. I may be dead when it happens, but it will.

Also keytars are stupidly expensive, this is the kind of item one should find at a garage sale/flea market for like $20 not $200+.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Here's another one that Lady Gaga presumably brought back from her Fortress of Solitude

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

that's right I got a lot cooler ON drugs!

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

Here's another one that Lady Gaga presumably brought back from her Fortress of Solitude

oh god a keytar i sort of like my life is a lie

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

tacodaemon posted:

Nice Star Destroyer

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the fact lady gaga's costumes and whatnot are made by a member of gwar tells me there is in fact some sort of sense in this universe

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

tacodaemon posted:

Who has the goofier-looking keytar: Lady Gaga or the dude from Dream Theater?
Lady Gaga's is clearly made of stealth technology and thus can turn invisible, whereas if Dream Theater guy wants to hide his Klingon sword he's poo poo out of luck. Voting for the latter.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I totally agree with part of that. If you get lucky (and get a real MIJ RG) you might have the makings of decent guitar. You'll still need pickups and probably a fretjob; but you'll still have a run-of-the-mill RG that could be great or could be poo poo. I've played a thousand. Some had fret-ends that would slice your fingers open. Some weigh a ton, some have dead spots and loose truss rods, some just need a little work and some electronics. None came with very good pickups.

JEMs, on the other had, were special. You paid more, but you got the best tonewood, the best fretwork, real DiMarzios (although I never liked the PAFs, only the JEM single) and you got a guitar that sounded as loud and good unplugged as it did when you geared it up.

Your opinion of "hideous" is yours. You own yours and I will own mine; but the quality of the real MIJ JEMs versus the RGs were huge unless you a) bought a USA Custom for the JEM price or b) bought an RG770.

You think my Ibanez collection is ridiculous (I know you do), you should see some of my buddys'.

You, Stux, are talking pure poo poo unless you are focusing on one time period, one factory, or one model.

Except it isn't a huge difference at all, JEMs are just as susceptible to needing a fret dress, setup, replacing electronics etc as the rest of the MIJ ibanezes because they are made in the same loving factory. You're right that they come with the dimarzios instead of ibbys standard lovely stock pups, but thats not really a huge thing is it when you can just buy those pickups for a fraction of the cost difference between an RG and a JEM and just drop them in, never mind if you have no interest in dimarzios and would like something different.

The best tone wood is laughable. Even if we take that tone wood is important, the JEMs are just loving basswood bodies like the RGs, with a couple of alder/basswood models for the 7v series. Woo!

And never mind that the JEM that keeps coming up here that you own is the SFG, and indonesian model with a premium neck which retails for £1k.

Beyond all of this though, is the fact that the korean and indo models are solid and cheap, and for the price of a setup, new pups and electronics you are still coming in at a price point far far far below a JEM and getting a guitar that is just as playable and solidly made. And that applies to basically any of the non fender/gibson brands.

Stux fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 4, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nevermind either that the 2550 and the 5xx/7xx series are basically just cheaper JEMs lmao

gently caress i mean the 2550 retails for less than the 70v, and is actually a MIJ model

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
whoa now, did faustus actually use tonewood as an argument?

i was coming around on you buddy roe, but you have done hosed up

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

comes along bort posted:

whoa now, did faustus actually use tonewood as an argument?

i was coming around on you buddy roe, but you have done hosed up

im going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't mean species, just the most resonant or whatever pieces of wood

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
E: Oops, missed this!

Sleepflower posted:

Oh they're adjustable? I actually really, really like that idea. Are there more breakage issues with brass?

There shouldn't be any breakage issues in theory, but if anyone can gently caress stuff up, it's Gibson. I guess we shall see. I've got a soft spot for shiny, shiny brass nuts, everyone except me seems to be indifferent to them though.

I'm going to treat you all as a focus group now.... I noticed that a few people here seem to have a craving for a three p-90 guitar. What sort of neck would everyone prefer on such a thing (ie. Scale length, headstock style, neck/fretboard wood, binding etc) and what sort of body type?

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 4, 2014

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dr. Faustus posted:

Exactly. I was 16 when I lusted after this NEW kind of real superstrat back in 1987. I finally owned one in 1989. Who do you think was in the scene then who was playing tasteful looking guitars and wearing biker clothes back then, smart person?
The Ramones, you dipshit, and a thousand other bands playing great music that didn't get airplay or label support because all that went to lovely hair metal dogshit bullshit poo poo poo poo poo poo with those dumbass pointy guitars.

That's why your loving pointy guitars are worthy of contempt. They represent the nadir of the American music industry.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Irradiation posted:

Nice Star Destroyer

a keytar built into an actual bigass model of a Star Destroyer would be awesome, and go really well with that Millennium Falcon bass from a while back

I mean, I could photoshop/mspaint a prototype, but instead I did this

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Fair Hallion posted:

a keytar built into an actual bigass model of a Star Destroyer would be awesome, and go really well with that Millennium Falcon bass from a while back

can we turn this thread into 'photoshop the dr. faustus guitar'

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Faustus, please tell me: what are the best tonewoods on a modern electric guitar?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

AchtungBaby posted:

Faustus, please tell me: what are the best tonewoods on a modern electric guitar?

I am curious too.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

:swoon:

Quilted Maple. 34 Frets. Stupid inlays. Urggggahhh.

Goddammit. How do you guys keep upping the bar like this?

Edit: never mind, the keytars holy God...

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 4, 2014

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

The best thing about that guitar is that it's from one of my personal favorite guitar players, Uli Jon Roth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scco-tm2OwU

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

AchtungBaby posted:

The best thing about that guitar is that it's from one of my personal favorite guitar players, Uli Jon Roth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scco-tm2OwU

That's... pretty much exactly what I expected the owner to look like really.

Also, it's now warmer here and as a result my Gibson Eye is now miraculously playable again. Aaaaand it doesn't play nearly as well as the relatively low end '91 Greco Mint Collection LP Custom that I paid like $500 for. Gibson r gr8

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 4, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Fair Hallion posted:

i dunno if its just me but i think bigsby tailpieces are dumb as poo poo. theyre just so big and chunky and look out of place on anything that isn't a big hollowbody guitar.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

shiksa posted:

i dunno if its just me but i think bigsby tailpieces are dumb as poo poo. theyre just so big and chunky and look out of place on anything that isn't a big hollowbody guitar.

I think they look neat but apparently they don't keep tune well. Then again, there are modified versions with low friction bearings and stuff.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

White Dog Eggs posted:

I'm going to treat you all as a focus group now.... I noticed that a few people here seem to have a craving for a three p-90 guitar. What sort of neck would everyone prefer on such a thing (ie. Scale length, headstock style, neck/fretboard wood, binding etc) and what sort of body type?

24" scale, rosewood fingerboard, solid or semihollow. Individual pickup switches with the ability to run them in or out of phase. I would be all over that like white on rice. gently caress it give me a varitone and 1 meg pots while we're in wishing territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sleepflower posted:

I think they look neat but apparently they don't keep tune well. Then again, there are modified versions with low friction bearings and stuff.

Mine does an alright job of staying in tune, but I dunno what specific hardware is involved.

• Locked thread