Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah I understand. My N7s are used for couch surfing and toddler education/entertainment so they're pretty much perfectly designed, sized, and priced for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Why are there no comparisons between the N9 and the NVIDIA Shield tablet? It seems like those two are the most like devices when going for a 9 inch Android choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I said come in! posted:

I guess in the grand scheme of things its really not that big of a deal, but tech news sites really dropped the ball on reporting when Lollipop would go live for Google made devices. Was suppose to be today but my N7 2013 still hasn't updated.

No reputable tech blogs said the OTAs would start today. AOSP did drop though so technically Lollipop was released.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I really need a bigger screen. I started to have to read full page PDFs for work that are very hard to read on the N7. On the N9, though, it's perfectly fine and my knees are all dapper looking.

True, PDFs never looked great on my N7 even when they weren't laggy. I did like it for reading everything else though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Trickyrive posted:

Why are there no comparisons between the N9 and the NVIDIA Shield tablet? It seems like those two are the most like devices when going for a 9 inch Android choice.

The nexus 9 came out today and nobody owns an nvidia shield tablet.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Trickyrive posted:

The best selling Android tablets around the 9 inch factor in the world are the Galaxy Tab and Note series, love them or hate them. The 9 literally just came out and the Shield tablet is the edge-ist of edge cases.

Given the recent Air 2 release I expect that to be the tablet the 9 is held up against the most, and indeed in the early reviews it is (and the 9 does not hold up well at all, not for a $400 base price device).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Posting from my new n9, first impressions are quite good. It'll probably take me a week to develop a good opinion though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno I think people comparing it to the iPad Air 2 and getting upset that the build quality isn't the same are either super anal or failing to realize the N9 is $100 cheaper. Of course you aren't going to have as fancy switches, etc. for the cheaper price.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Best part about the N9 reviews is that it's lighter than the iPad Air 2, but it doesn't feel lighter.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Best part about the N9 reviews is that it's lighter than the iPad Air 2, but it doesn't feel lighter.

Someone on reddit summed up all of the reviews.

The conclusions are great, basically they all contradict each other. We probably already knew that but it's nice to see it all in one place. Personally, I'm probably getting one but am enjoying everyone else testing them out first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Require More Fire posted:

Even if they did start the rollout today it could be a few days before you get it. IIRC my N7 took almost a week to get KitKat.

That seems like such a weird way to do it. Why not push it out to all Google devices at once? Is there a way to download it manually and install that way?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That seems like such a weird way to do it. Why not push it out to all Google devices at once? Is there a way to download it manually and install that way?

If there's a critical bug, a staged rollout helps limit the damage. See iOS 8.0.1 for what can happen. Yes you can do it manually. Google will post the system images that anyone with a Nexus can use to do manual installs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While iOS 8.0.1 is an extreme example, even the 4.4.1 update had to be pulled if I'm remembering correctly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno I think people comparing it to the iPad Air 2 and getting upset that the build quality isn't the same are either super anal or failing to realize the N9 is $100 cheaper. Of course you aren't going to have as fancy switches, etc. for the cheaper price.
Sure you can. You can buy an iPad Air 1, or iPad Mini 2 or 3 for the same or less than a Nexus 9 and have nice switches and vastly better build quality. If *Apple* of all companies can sell a premium product at that price point, a Nexus tablet shouldn't have any trouble at all. You're acting like that $100 is anything but margin for Apple.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For those with a Nexus 7, go to the Google Play Movie and TV app and you should be able to get Gravity for free.

I tried it on my N7 2013 after hearing about it on Reddit and it worked fine. I don't know if it works on the 2012 version though.

You may need to clear the cache and data for Play Movie and TV for it to show up if it doesn't automatically.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

For those with a Nexus 7, go to the Google Play Movie and TV app and you should be able to get Gravity for free.

I got it on my Nexus 9 last night. I thought it was just a freebie for that platform, just like that dumb Transformers movie was for the original Nexus 7.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yeah I got Gravity on a Nexus 5 earlier, so it's not a tablet thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Veib posted:

Yeah I got Gravity on a Nexus 5 earlier, so it's not a tablet thing.

Yeah, it started out as only on the Nexus 5 and moved to the other devices. The only one that's still being updated and isn't affected is the Nexus 4.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Endless Mike posted:

Sure you can. You can buy an iPad Air 1, or iPad Mini 2 or 3 for the same or less than a Nexus 9 and have nice switches and vastly better build quality. If *Apple* of all companies can sell a premium product at that price point, a Nexus tablet shouldn't have any trouble at all. You're acting like that $100 is anything but margin for Apple.

You can, but the 1 GB RAM makes it a really, really bad value proposition. Worse than the N9 with the reported issues (speaking as someone who owns a iPad 4 and has to suffer its low RAM). And it isn't as if the iPad is without issues - the back of the Air 2 can easily be pressed in deep enough to see it on the screen on the other side.
I would wager the N9 would have had a far better reception if it was selling with 32/64 GB at the price point. And it wouldn't have cost HTC/Google much to do so.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 4, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, it started out as only on the Nexus 5 and moved to the other devices. The only one that's still being updated and isn't affected is the Nexus 4.
It also doesn't appear as free on my Nexus 10 :smith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone looking to take advantage of my addiction to new tech can buy my Nexus 7 over here.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Decius posted:

You can, but the 1 GB RAM makes it a really, really bad value proposition. Worse than the N9 with the reported issues (speaking as someone who owns a iPad 4 and has to suffer its low RAM). And it isn't as if the iPad is without issues - the back of the Air 2 can easily be pressed in deep enough to see it on the screen on the other side.

iOS is more efficient with RAM than Android on top of the fact that the N9 inexplicably only has 2 GB when 3 GB is becoming standard on even flagship phones. And doesn't the fact that the N9 is juggling 64-bit and 32-bit kill RAM even more?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

And doesn't the fact that the N9 is juggling 64-bit and 32-bit kill RAM even more?

No, this is not how 32 and 64bit work.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

No, this is not how 32 and 64bit work.

That was what everyone was bitching about when Apple didn't increase the ram with 64-Bit. :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

That was what everyone was bitching about when Apple didn't increase the ram with 64-Bit. :shrug:

No, people were bitching about the fact that with 1GB RAM, Safari reloads tabs even with only 2-3 open. Makes it annoying switching between Safari and other apps, or at least marginally more annoying than it needs to be.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Alright. Here's why that's a problem.

A 32bit OS can only address 8GB of memory space. So having a 64bit OS with less than 8GB of RAM brings little advantage. Infact, since the 64bit programs occupy more memory space they bring a little bit of a detriment to performance, if you don't have more RAM for them to take up. A 32bit program on a 64bit OS has absolutely no performance increase and decrease, it's business as usual for them.

People ragged on the 64bit OS for Apple because it was basically just like the old 90's console bit wars. Basically the only advantage at the time was marketing. However, the idea is to enable 64bit programs so developers can compile for that architecture, so when they finally start putting more RAM in a phone the programs will already be ready.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alright. Here's why that's a problem.

A 32bit OS can only address 8GB of memory space. So having a 64bit OS with less than 8GB of RAM brings little advantage. Infact, since the 64bit programs occupy more memory space they bring a little bit of a detriment to performance, if you don't have more RAM for them to take up. A 32bit program on a 64bit OS has absolutely no performance increase and decrease, it's business as usual for them.

People ragged on the 64bit OS for Apple because it was basically just like the old 90's console bit wars. Basically the only advantage at the time was marketing. However, the idea is to enable 64bit programs so developers can compile for that architecture, so when they finally start putting more RAM in a phone the programs will already be ready.
Except that recompiling for 64-bit on iOS shows at least a small speed increase even without any optimizations versus running the 32-bit binary on the same device. So no, it's not just a marketing gimmick.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Except that recompiling for 64-bit on iOS shows at least a small speed increase even without any optimizations versus running the 32-bit binary on the same device. So no, it's not just a marketing gimmick.

But wouldn't the trade off of increased memory footprints for 64bit apps in a smaller available RAM space leads to an increase in memory pressure, like the Safari thing? So the current app might be slightly faster, but switching to anything else is slightly slower?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The Nexus 9

Apparently this happens on some devices to varying degree.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Three Olives posted:

iOS is more efficient with RAM than Android on top of the fact that the N9 inexplicably only has 2 GB when 3 GB is becoming standard on even flagship phones. And doesn't the fact that the N9 is juggling 64-bit and 32-bit kill RAM even more?

Not even Apple has enough magic fairy dust to make web pages small enough to work well with 1 GB RAM. It's only getting worse as time moves on. Buying a 1 GB RAM device now is simply a bad value proposition as said. Buying any other iPad than the iPad Air 2 is not a good idea.

Yes, iOS is more RAM efficient than Android, but not 100 % more. The 2 GB of the N9 will last you far longer than the 1 GB of the non-iPad Air 2s. 3 GB would be even better, but I doubt that's something that will matter before 2016.

Using 64 and 32 bit Apps at the same time only need more RAM if you need to emulate poo poo for 32 bit Apps. As far as I know that's not how Android handles it. However, 64 bit Apps per default use somewhat more RAM than 32 bit Apps (which is why the 1 GB of the iPad/iPhone is such a bad deal, worse than the same on my iPad 4).

fondue posted:

The Nexus 9

Apparently this happens on some devices to varying degree.

You can do similar things with the iPad Air 2 and watch the display discolour where you move around, because the thing is so thin, including a seriously thin aluminium chassis. Something not mentioned by nearly any reviews (only a German one has bothered to do so). Nothing that would bother me much with the iPad, nothing that most likely will bother me with the N9.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 4, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, build quality of the N10 had just as many quirks and I don't recall anyone making as big a deal about it and it was even more expensive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Anyone looking to take advantage of my addiction to new tech can buy my Nexus 7 over here.

I hope there is some cocaine or something included at that price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

But wouldn't the trade off of increased memory footprints for 64bit apps in a smaller available RAM space leads to an increase in memory pressure, like the Safari thing? So the current app might be slightly faster, but switching to anything else is slightly slower?

If you're spending all your time switching between apps, sure, but I would bet on balance that even a 5% increase in performance would be a net improvement for the vast majority of users.

Not that I'm saying more RAM wouldn't be beneficial, just you're acting like 64-bit is useless without it, which is demonstrably false.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

I hope there is some cocaine or something included at that price.

Price lowered cause I'm keeping the crack. Looks like 150 is the trending ebay price, though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Decius posted:

Yes, iOS is more RAM efficient than Android, but not 100 % more. The 2 GB of the N9 will last you far longer than the 1 GB of the non-iPad Air 2s. 3 GB would be even better, but I doubt that's something that will matter before 2016.

It matters, I have a Tab S and G3 and both suck up all of the RAM. Why would Google release a flagship device with a 1/3rd less RAM that older hardware?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It all gets used up because that's what RAM is meant to do. Empty RAM is worthless.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

It matters, I have a Tab S and G3 and both suck up all of the RAM. Why would Google release a flagship device with a 1/3rd less RAM that older hardware?

Whatever app or widget you use to monitor your ram needs to be uninstalled. Stop looking at your RAM usage and instead enjoy your nice condo view of some drained wetlands or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Just a question, have you used a Nexus device before?

Both my phone (Droid MAXX) and my N7 have the same amount of ram. However, even the LIGHT Moto footprint has the phone consuming much more ram normally.

I usually have about 1.2gb free on my N7 whereas I'm around 700-800mb free on my phone. Same installed apps.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I usually have about 1.2gb free on my N7 whereas I'm around 700-800mb free on my phone. Same installed apps.

No no no no. Free RAM accomplishes nothing. When an app loads, it puts it's data in RAM. When you change to another app, that app loads it data but the first app leaves its data behind. When you switch back to the first app, it's data is already there and it loads faster. If a new app requires more RAM than is free the old data is dumped AT THE SPEED OF ELECTRONS. There's absolute zero benefit on manually managing RAM. You are bad at it. Do not do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A 32bit OS can only address 8GB of memory space. So having a 64bit OS with less than 8GB of RAM brings little advantage. Infact, since the 64bit programs occupy more memory space they bring a little bit of a detriment to performance, if you don't have more RAM for them to take up.
As far as mobile is concerned right now, memory address space is not the reason to move to ARMv8-A (64-bit). The biggest improvement, and the reason you see a substantial performance increase when programs are recompiled with a good compiler is that ARMv8-A vastly increases the number of general purpose registers. The number of integer registers goes from 14 usable (I'm ignoring PC and SP since those aren't yours to play with really) 32-bit registers to 31 64-bit registers. Floating point just gets wider and goes from 32 64-bit registers to 32 128-bit registers. More than doubling the number of integer registers can lead to huge performance gains if your compiler is optimized correctly. It is absolutely not just marketing and does not require more RAM to see benefits.

And for the record, 32-bit can generally address ~4GB of physical memory space without resorting to tricks like PAE.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 4, 2014