Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's either squid puns, or putting "de gesso" at the end of every sentence.

Whoever wins, we lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rexides posted:

It's either squid puns, or putting "de gesso" at the end of every sentence.

Whoever wins, we lose.

I choose both

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Just sub the mini-Ika segments only, everyone wins.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

I adored Gargantia though.

Not this season, but I just started watching Gargantia (four eps in) and its just a really chill, good looking show. One of the better executions of stranger in a strange land, especially with the culture and language barriers.

On this season: Shirobako is too stressful, as well as being super inside baseball, and I think I'm going to drop it. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso was a bit too twee, and now looks like it might be taking a melodramatic turn with its manic pixie dream girl violinist, I'll give it one more before I drop. Shingeki no Bahamut is waaaay better than it has any right to be.

Psycho Pass, Chaika, Log Horizon, Parasyte all range from good to great, depending on the episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hocus Pocus posted:

On this season: Shirobako is too stressful

Whimp.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Or you could ask xythar nicely.

I'll pester translators about it once I'm done with the Gargantia OVA and the D-Frag OVA. I don't know if I'll find anyone who actually wants to do it, though.
I was kinda hoping CR would pick it up like they did the first two, but no such luck, I suppose.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

On this season: Shirobako is too stressful, as well as being super inside baseball,

Stress is the nature of film and television production. Especially when you cut production as closely as Japan does. Also, wtf does it have to do with baseball?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Kind of. But I really thought, the vague, 'Hahahahaha. Maybe I was really the evil one!' thing that they did with the old man at the end just went over into vague for vague's sense. If they can make something like the first half and less like that, I'm in.

I thought it's fine for a OVA but I wonder if they'll follow one person the entire series or have a new guest each episode? The ambiguous ending felt rushed to me somewhat as I had to rewatch it a few times to understand the story.

I just hope it won't end up like Bartender.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, wtf does it have to do with baseball?

There are tons of references that are very specific to the production crew of the show; not something a casual viewer is likely to get at all.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Eh, a friend of mine watches Shirobako without giving a poo poo about the actual anime production stuff. It's presented plainly enough and the conflict is usually on a project management level, as opposed to sports anime wherein you do need to know a thing or two about the sport to get invested on what's going on.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I heavily disagree on the sports anime comparison since most of those shows tend to explain everything going on.

But yeah, while knowing anime production stuff certainly helps, at its core is a cast that are hella busy with their unpredictable jobs. That's broad enough.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i wish they explained how you fly this gundam if it was in real life. it is really taking away from my enjoyment of this animated series

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Srice posted:

I heavily disagree on the sports anime comparison since most of those shows tend to explain everything going on.

But yeah, while knowing anime production stuff certainly helps, at its core is a cast that are hella busy with their unpredictable jobs. That's broad enough.

also a multi-minute free-wheeling discussion of the merits and cultural significance of moe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

also a multi-minute free-wheeling discussion of the merits and cultural significance of moe

From a marketing perspective, that is a discussion that's always warranted.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If you really want to watch a show about making anime, just watch Gintama. Or that one episode of Kirby.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Or watch Shirobako because it is Pretty Good.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Parasyte is Really Really loving Good okay

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I want it done without squid puns though, does that cost extra or less

yes I am a soulless husk of a human being, why do you ask
That's already out though; it's called the raw.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if we're just randomly saying good shows this season, rage of bahamut is easily the best show of the season

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cake Attack posted:

twintails is easily the best show of the season

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

w-what!?

that's not what i said at all!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are new episodes of Mushishi coming out, and you guys are pretending that there's any question of what the best show of the season is?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rage of Bahamut is the least anime, making it the best anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

There are new episodes of Mushishi coming out, and you guys are pretending that there's any question of what the best show of the season is?

Mushishi makes me fall asleep. Not like it's boring, but it's so laid back and relaxing my eyelids start drooping as soon as I start watching it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't understand the Twintail anime love. I watched the first episode and to me it came off as generic light novel rubbish (along with being rather poorly animated to boot). Is it just a case where since I don't know much about toku shows some of the jokes are just flying over my head?

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 4, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Srice posted:

I don't understand the Twintail anime love. I watched the first episode and to me it came off as generic light novel rubbish (along with being rather poorly animated to boot). Is it just a case where since I don't know much about toku shows some of the jokes are just flying over my head?

You have to be this

-----

tall driven to insanity by anime
to understand the Love of Twintails.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Kay Kessler posted:

If you really want to watch a show about making anime, just watch Gintama. Or that one episode of Kirby.
Or the "Mellow Maromi" episode of "Paranoia Agent". I've seen that with a group of animators and they spent half the episode kind of averting their gaze from the screen.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Robert Denby posted:

Or the "Mellow Maromi" episode of "Paranoia Agent".

Or Animation Runner Kuromi.

But you should really just watch that anyway, because it's a fun OVA.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Srice posted:

Well there were three jokes in the first episode, one was pointing out the protag has a fetish for twin tails, 2nd was pointing out the villian has a fetish for twintails and 3rd was that some girl had huge knockers and another one didn't or something. So its unlikely any of those went over your head. It got boring pretty quickly for me too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All I've seen from Twintails are words from the internet, but from what I've gathered, it's about a bunch of monsters obsessing over anime poo poo. So it's a comedic commentary about the industry today? That could be fun, but I don't care much for that type of comedy, so I'll be passing it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Well there were three jokes in the first episode, one was pointing out the protag has a fetish for twin tails, 2nd was pointing out the villian has a fetish for twintails and 3rd was that some girl had huge knockers and another one didn't or something. So its unlikely any of those went over your head. It got boring pretty quickly for me too.

I can understand those jokes but I guess in hindsight all the toku stuff seemed mostly sincere and not jokes at all? hosed up, if true.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Robert Denby posted:

Or the "Mellow Maromi" episode of "Paranoia Agent". I've seen that with a group of animators and they spent half the episode kind of averting their gaze from the screen.

Any teenage anime fan who says to themselves "I'm gonna live in Japan and make anime!" should not only watch that episode, but the entirety of Paranoia Agent. It's a brilliant wake-up call.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Terper posted:

All I've seen from Twintails are words from the internet, but from what I've gathered, it's about a bunch of monsters obsessing over anime poo poo. So it's a comedic commentary about the industry today? That could be fun, but I don't care much for that type of comedy, so I'll be passing it.
It has a very specific kind of geeky humor. One that normally is coupled with very creepy fan-service and lovely animation.
Twintails has good animation, and the fanservice is there but it is not the ultra creepy kind. It is similar to Nyaruku that way.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bahamut is a far better show than Twintails, but it's not like you can't watch both.

If you're not laughing at the first episode, the rest won't change your mind. There's a lot of LN bologna in the first three episides and the second probably being the worst of it. Mami dies in the fourth episode, so we'll see where the plot continues to go and hopefully it doesn't spiral into LN Hell.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Terper posted:

All I've seen from Twintails are words from the internet, but from what I've gathered, it's about a bunch of monsters obsessing over anime poo poo. So it's a comedic commentary about the industry today?

No, the show is too stupid for that.

I guess I just like stupid fun things. :shrug:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rexides posted:

No, the show is too stupid for that.

I guess I just like stupid fun things. :shrug:

It's just like Nyaruko-san, basically. Only substitute Lovecraft and Super Sentai references with Moe and other geeky nonsense... and Super Sentai references too, I guess. Of course, if it had Kana Asumi doing what Kana Asumi does best, it would be much better. As it is, it's just pure dumb fun.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Twintails is exactly the kind of amazing sum of terrible parts that I've been missing since Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? ended.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i wish they explained how you fly this gundam if it was in real life. it is really taking away from my enjoyment of this animated series

while i do not disagree with your sentiment i really would like them to show that, actually, but only for me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Armor-Piercing posted:

Twintails is exactly the kind of amazing sum of terrible parts that I've been missing since Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? ended.

Whenever I see posts like this I wonder if I'm fooling myself into believing that Twintails is a good show. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Whenever I see posts like this I wonder if I'm fooling myself into believing that Twintails is a good show. :saddowns:

you must be real dumb to not get that twintails is a good show after all these posts

• Locked thread