Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

SoundMonkey posted:

Isn't that one of RED's marketing gimmicks even?

It's getting there. I still won't give up my camera, but I know a guy using a RED and he's getting some great stuff (stupid compression, not my picture):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That looks nothing like what comes out of a stills camera.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

evil_bunnY posted:

That looks nothing like what comes out of a stills camera.

I'm not saying you should ditch the camera and use RED. I am saying the stills out of a RED that I've seen look rather good in context. Draw whatever conclusions you like, I'm just providing stills to aid the conversation.

Not mine, all using the same tool to compress them for web display (posted by the same person):

1080p HD cam:

RED:

Nikon DSLR:

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 3, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
A RED Epic costs a shitload more than a DSLR. You can do some great work with one and even pull stills, but video cameras are not replacing stills cameras.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Except video is always shot at 1/{24,25,30,50,60}s, putting limits on the usefulness of frame extraction.

You can get like 120fps at 5k, even more if you crop the sensor.

RangerScum posted:

Anybody in here ever work for a newspaper and care to comment on this topic?

A newspaper couldn't afford a RED Epic :v:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 3, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd ask David 'Strobist' Hobby but I think his phone got cut off.

I'm on the asmp mailing list, and it's just a nonstop barrage of bullshit workshops, especially with the expo in nyc. They've been flogging drone photography/videography for like a month now, it's nonsense. If I wanted bullshit workshops for Facebook wedding photographers, creative live has it 24/7. The most visible 'professionals' in the 'industry' don't actually shoot photos anymore, they're just pro workshop presenters at this point. Everyone is selling the photography *lifestyle*, nobody says anything about taking good pictures.

I follow a guy on tumblr for the laughs who uses a red epic to make "motion portfolios" for aspiring models. He spends an insane amount of time working on extracted stills. I don't understand why you'd send a 500mb 30s 4k video to a casting director when they still use polaroids, but I'm also dumb and bad at everything.

Vv I think it's more about telling people that he shoots on a red epic than anything else.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 3, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think it's dumb for a photographer to be primarily shooting with a red epic, but I imagine he's pulling raw frames and sending jpegs

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Anyone know if it's still possible for previous owners of Nik software to get their plugins without buying the whole set from Google? I bought Silver Efex Pro 2 a couple years ago, but a few weeks ago I reformatted my computer and reinstalled my OS/other software/etc. I have need for Silver Efex Pro now, but looking at Google's site I don't see a way to re-download what I've already paid for. I've emailed their support about it but haven't heard back. Am I just up poo poo creek?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

That 70s Shirt posted:

Anyone know if it's still possible for previous owners of Nik software to get their plugins without buying the whole set from Google? I bought Silver Efex Pro 2 a couple years ago, but a few weeks ago I reformatted my computer and reinstalled my OS/other software/etc. I have need for Silver Efex Pro now, but looking at Google's site I don't see a way to re-download what I've already paid for. I've emailed their support about it but haven't heard back. Am I just up poo poo creek?

Can't you just, ahem, "acquire" it, and activate it with your legit activation code?

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Probably, but that would take a lot more effort than if Google just made it available on their site. I guess I'll look into it if I absolutely have to.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

That 70s Shirt posted:

A while back I emailed them about this and they sent me a link to the whole suite for download (I didn't own the whole suite to begin with).

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

A while back I emailed them about this and they sent me a link to the whole suite for download (I didn't own the whole suite to begin with).

Nice, after reading this I checked my e-mail again and, lo and behold, a similar email was waiting there for me! Sweet.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there an action/GoPro thread anywhere?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Is there an action/GoPro thread anywhere?

I asked about this about a month ago. There isn't, but I'd be happy if somebody made one. I don't have enough to talk about to make an OP that's anything more than "Post about your GoPro here".

There's usually at least a little discussion about GoPro-type cameras in the DSLR Video Thread. I've had one for about 6 weeks and I'd love to bounce some ideas around about using it, and I know there are at least a handful of other Dorkroom regulars (I'm looking at you, Mr. Despair!) with such cameras.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

I asked about this about a month ago. There isn't, but I'd be happy if somebody made one. I don't have enough to talk about to make an OP that's anything more than "Post about your GoPro here".

There's usually at least a little discussion about GoPro-type cameras in the DSLR Video Thread. I've had one for about 6 weeks and I'd love to bounce some ideas around about using it, and I know there are at least a handful of other Dorkroom regulars (I'm looking at you, Mr. Despair!) with such cameras.

Eh, I'm sure there's plenty of material for an OP if someone wants to do some effort. Various models of GoPro and what features they have, accessories, outlandish uses for them, etc etc

There may actually be a GoPro thread in AI or CA that you could steal from.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UowkIRSDHfs

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi92RpT2S4g

Ram > Dog

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah I got a gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0DHCbPF9ws

I'm mostly enjoying using it for timelapses, but that's because I'm terrible at editing video still. Need to practice more with that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah I got a gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0DHCbPF9ws

I'm mostly enjoying using it for timelapses, but that's because I'm terrible at editing video still. Need to practice more with that.
Oooh... handheld timelapse. Gonna have to try that. I've got a couple of vids and a couple of timelapses sitting on my camera and on my harddrive, gotta get on that. Editing is still very much my problem.

I found GoPro's bundled software - GoPro Studio - rather poor. "You get what you pay for" seems to be in operation.

I'm halfway through the 30-day free trial of Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 which seems pretty good so far. Like I said, I've got to put in some more time & effort with it, though.

There's also the POV/Helmet Cams thread in Cycle Asylum, though I haven't dug into that thread yet so I can't vouch for quality or posting about anything beyond camera-on-head stuff.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
you guys might be interested in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOpwHaQnRSY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dren posted:

you guys might be interested in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOpwHaQnRSY

This is amazing, holy gently caress.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I was a bumbling doofus who managed to not only trip/fall down twice and sprain both ankles in Montreal, but both times drop my camera (t3i) lens-first onto the cobblestone. Both times the lens cap popped off and now there's a little dent in the plastic ring around the front lens, and all my photos are kind of vaguely blurry in the details (it sort of looks like chromatic aberration). This is just a lens thing, right? I didn't gently caress up the camera itself? I'd rather the (kit) lens than the body.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I was a bumbling doofus who managed to not only trip/fall down twice and sprain both ankles in Montreal, but both times drop my camera (t3i) lens-first onto the cobblestone. Both times the lens cap popped off and now there's a little dent in the plastic ring around the front lens, and all my photos are kind of vaguely blurry in the details (it sort of looks like chromatic aberration). This is just a lens thing, right? I didn't gently caress up the camera itself? I'd rather the (kit) lens than the body.

Yeah, I'd guess an element got knocked out of alignment. Definitely not sensor related.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's easy enough to test - find somebody else with a Canon crop-sensor camera (Rebel, T(x)i series, etc) and ask to shoot through one of their lenses (from your post I'm guessing you only own 1 lens at the moment). If the picture is blurry in the same way, it's your body, but it's pretty unlikely, that kind of hit and that kind of effect are almost certainly a problem with the lens. Get your new friend to shoot through your banged-up lens just to be 100% positive.

And why stop at one replacement lens? Get the ever-popular Tamron 17-50/2.8 beehive and something else fun - this is an opportunity to explore some new photographic styles!

\/\/\/ glad you like it! I've never actually met one in person, but it always seems to come with the description "autofocus sounds like a horde of angry bees"

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 8, 2014

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

Tamron 17-50/2.8 beehive

This is the first time I've heard that term but as an owner of one, it resonates on so many levels.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's the preferred way to clean a lens? I just touched it with my fat fingers, and now there's some smudge on it. I'm guessing those one-time-use cleaning towels for glasses will scratch it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I use my shirt or maybe a soft napkin if I'm feeling fancy. Microfiber glasses cloths pick up grease and poo poo a bit better, but you shouldn't use the ones with solution because it might eat the coating off your lens.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

midnightclimax posted:

What's the preferred way to clean a lens? I just touched it with my fat fingers, and now there's some smudge on it. I'm guessing those one-time-use cleaning towels for glasses will scratch it?

Licking the Lens by Brandon Townley, on Flickr

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'll try to get a dog and a microfibre cloth next thing in the morning. Thanks guys!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got a silk cleaning cloth thing like you get when you buy glasses, is that ok :ohdear:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
steel wool followed by a coat of brasso to bring the shine back

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Shirt works fine. Little spit whatever's on there is stubborn.

Honestly, modern lens front elements are stupidly hard to harm. Don't use crazy chemicals or anything super abrasive and you're fine.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Get a lens pen if you are ocd about how you clean it, but yeah echoing what others have said.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lens pens own. The case is a cleaning cloth and there are three different sizes. The smallest is great for cleaning viewfinders.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

rio posted:

Lens pens own. The case is a cleaning cloth and there are three different sizes. The smallest is great for cleaning viewfinders.

What? Mine definitely just came in a plastic and cardboard package. Wonder if I threw away something I didn't realize was a cleaning cloth. It is super satisfying to watch them just polish everything away though, and the brush comes in handy too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I actually need to buy a new lenspen as my old one went weird (graphite tip stuff came off). Is it worth getting one of those Giotto blowers too?

I kind of just want to get one because they look like tiny blimps.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Any advice about getting camera equipment insurance? Companies you've had good experiences with, companies to avoid, etc?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Shellman posted:

What? Mine definitely just came in a plastic and cardboard package. Wonder if I threw away something I didn't realize was a cleaning cloth. It is super satisfying to watch them just polish everything away though, and the brush comes in handy too.

It comes with the set, not the singles. The set is a microfiber case, regular lens pen, micro lens pen (viewfinder), and filter lens pen (flat tip instead of curved)

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Any advice about getting camera equipment insurance? Companies you've had good experiences with, companies to avoid, etc?

Talk to your agent for your homeowners insurance. You can get it as a rider on there - that will be better than any special camera policy sold by someone.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Red_Fred posted:

I actually need to buy a new lenspen as my old one went weird (graphite tip stuff came off). Is it worth getting one of those Giotto blowers too?

Yes, get a rocket blower. I use mine cleaning lenses and my scanner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Yes, get a rocket blower. They're useful beyond blowing dust off of lenses and sensors - scanning film is bedeviled by dust, and the blower comes in handy there. Plus blowing out hoses (e.g. winemaking), annoying your cat or dog, pushing confetti around, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

timrenzi574 posted:

Talk to your agent for your homeowners insurance. You can get it as a rider on there - that will be better than any special camera policy sold by someone.

Maybe. Some homeowners insurance will cover any loss or damage and some will only cover theft. You want to make sure that you'll be covered even if you drop your poo poo or it gets eaten by a snake or whatever. Also make sure it will be covered if you leave the country if you plan on travelling ever.