Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Pretty sure we're both being hyperbolic. It's kind hilarious that someone would bitch about Tyranids getting back something that got taken out of their codex.
Hyperbole is the first step. Soon, it develops into genuine bitterness. Then, you post on Dakka comparing your codex to the Holocaust.

Besides, I know Hencoe personally, and I would like to point out that he is a baby-back bitch who harassed this poor Blood Angels player to (blood) tears. I mean, the BA player is a good guy, and I am sure he is just rubbing his eyes with his (blood) fists to try and get out the bitter (blood) shards of agitation Hencoe aimed at him. For shame, Hencoe. I am sure the guy is still either depressed or moved on to being Furioso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just wondering if it would be worth sticking venom cannons on the drop pod. 5 S6 shots ain't bad, and the small blast will hopefully limit any accidental scattering on your own troops.

EDIT: The best thing about the release? These would be perfect for making some custom tyranid terrain!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 4, 2014

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I play Blood Angels and I'm still excited to see Tyranids getting their toys back! Besides, they could give Blood Angels as many new units as they want and it still wouldn't make me a better player.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You'll get new toys soon enough.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You'll get new toys soon enough.

In the distance, a Sister sheds a single tear.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I play Blood Angels and I'm still excited to see Tyranids getting their toys back! Besides, they could give Blood Angels as many new units as they want and it still wouldn't make me a better player.

Imperial Knighht says differently.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Tyranids only purpose is to have contrasting colours to the Space Marines that kill them so it looks good on the table top. That's it. There I said it.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

raverrn posted:

Imperial Knight says differently.

I keep forgetting about allies! Knights do look really fun.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
somebody add wrong about Tyranids to your red text

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

somebody add right about Tyranids to your red text

Tyranids are the faceless goons of 40k.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's true the Tyranid army this the basement goon of 40k.

I actually hope this is GWs plan for next year is to just finish the Codexes then move on to just releasing new miniatures and rules each month in White Dwarf.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Cataphract posted:

I love how we are all celebrating that these changes are bringing tyranids back on par with the previous (also terrible) codex.

It's like some kind of Stockholm Syndrome, and the only way out is a testicle shaped drop pod!

Those models are dope though, and I look forward to my Guard getting teabagged by the ravenous hive mind.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

If you're asking about the minis, they look like a Triarch Praetorian/Lychguard kit with Grey Knight Paladin Power Swords and.... the Anvil Industries Pumpkin head bits? No clue on the shields.

$Texas

Damnit!

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Maybe now I'll see someone play tyranids at my lgs.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The Spore is... hmm. I don't think it really solves any problems for Tyranids right now; not coming in turn 1 is actually a pretty significant disadvantage, the more so because Tyranids don't have access to a lot of good reserve manipulation. They can pay the 70pts for a Comms Relay, but then they need a unit in range to man it, which can have problems of its own. There's also the question of what to actually deliver with it- a Carnifex seems a bit underwhelming for the price; Swarmlord is... probably not good enough; Toxicrene? Dimachaeron? Haruspex? None of them really jump out as "Yeah, perfect!" kind of things, and they've all still gotta weather firepower once they get there, which can be problematic. Honestly, the best thing about it is definitely that the Spore is a MC in its own right and can assault things; MEQs will tear it to shreds due to that lovely 4+ armor save (gently caress you, Krak Grenades) but if it's going after Wave Serpents or whatever it's in a bit better position.

I'm actually much more intrigued by the other two new units, to be honest. The Sporocyst has some potential as a midfield control unit, which is something Tyranids already had a bit of going anyways and with Dakkafexes, Malanthropes, and other units they might be able to push into a viable casual strategy at least. Barbed Strangers are easily the best choice there due to range and damage potential, since Venom Cannons are still rather shoddy at actually doing anything to vehicles. Dumping out all of the little explosive dudes is also no joke, especially the anti-air ones.

Speaking of which, Tyranids don't actually need them all that much for AA (since they already get the Flyrant and Crone), but S8 AP3 Ignores Cover is a really nice profile to have and they can potentially fill your troop slots really cheaply.

Sephyr posted:

But speaking of drop of equivalents, I can't really determine if the Dreadclaw is crap or great. It's expensive, it behaves as a weird flyer, it has to hang around being shot at for a turn, but it's an assault vehicle, meaning it just might save you some 150 points worth of Land Raider. It's also the only guided deep strike CSM can hope for. I guess it could be used to do a shuffle and deliver a unit to clean an objective and rescue another, embattled unit who hops aboard and gets ferried to a safer place?

I'm rather on the opposite side from Bulb here- I think it's a pretty shoddy replacement for a Drop Pod for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being the greatly inflated cost. It's tougher than a Drop Pod, sure, but it's not tougher than three Drop Pods and there's not a lot of you can cram inside it that is really scary because the CSM book is surprisingly lacking in good CC units in a lot of ways. Unlike Pods you can't really use it to deliver shooting units and it's much less resistant to coming down in the wrong spot or mishapping.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

AbusePuppy posted:

Honestly, the best thing about it is definitely that the Spore is a MC in its own right and can assault things;

Tyrannocyte can only move and consolidate; it cannot run, charge, or sweeping advance.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
hahaha, take that GW... Australia post to the rescue

https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

AbusePuppy posted:

There's also the question of what to actually deliver with it- a Carnifex seems a bit underwhelming for the price; Swarmlord is... probably not good enough; Toxicrene? Dimachaeron? Haruspex? None of them really jump out as "Yeah, perfect!" kind of things, and they've all still gotta weather firepower once they get there, which can be problematic. Honestly, the best thing about it is definitely that the Spore is a MC in its own right and can assault things; MEQs will tear it to shreds due to that lovely 4+ armor save (gently caress you, Krak Grenades) but if it's going after Wave Serpents or whatever it's in a bit better position.
The real strength of the Tyrannocyte will be target saturation. Before our only option for getting tough units in the enemy backfield was hoping to roll Master of Ambush at 1/3 odds, and even then you could often still end up on the wrong side of the table. Now we can drop multiple MCs or shooty units like devilguants alongside their support like Venomthropes and synapse. Not only that, but each pod is another target that your opponent can't ignore. Unlike marine drop pods they can shuffle around to take better shots, provide cover, sit on objectives and generally demand to be dealt with. Tyranids also have no shortage of close-range shooting attacks that will benefit from this change.
Don't think of it as a case of picking one perfect unit out to drop, so long as you drop enough it doesn't really matter. Three pods carrying two more MCs plus Malanthrope support landing right in the middle of an enemy gunline has to be dealt with. It doesn't really matter if you're dropping Dakkafexes, Dimachaerons or ESG Tyrannofexes, that's a lot of bugs that need to die quickly.

AbusePuppy posted:

Unlike Pods you can't really use it to deliver shooting units and it's much less resistant to coming down in the wrong spot or mishapping.
What's your reasoning here? The deep strike rules for Tyrannocytes are lifted verbatim from the marine drop pod Inertial Guidance System rule. The only real difference is that the Tyranid version doesn't drop on turn 1, but it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of the formations in this new campaign will let you do that. I am wrong and dumb

xtothez fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 4, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Tyrannocyte can only move and consolidate; it cannot run, charge, or sweeping advance.

Dang, I missed that. That makes them... a lot less useful, to be honest. They're roughly on par with a Pod in terms of survivability and have somewhat better guns, but will arrive later and are significantly more expensive.

xtothez posted:

Don't think of it as a case of picking one perfect unit out to drop, so long as you drop enough it doesn't really matter. Three pods carrying two more MCs plus Malanthrope support landing right in the middle of an enemy gunline has to be dealt with. It doesn't really matter if you're dropping Dakkafexes, Dimachaerons or ESG Tyrannofexes, that's a lot of bugs that need to die quickly.

Well, for one three pods plus two MCs- even cheap ones- and a Malanthrope is almost six hundred points, so yeah, I would hope that it would present some kind of threat. And really, the threat there is the Malanthrope, not the other units. Keeping them off-table (and relying on reserve rolls to bring them on) is, especially for the shooty ones, delaying when they are able to affect them. And if they all come in when and where you want them that's great, but I think a lot of folks are underestimating how often that won't happen.

It's not that Tyrannocytes are gonna be useless or anything, but a lot of people seem to be under the impression that they will restore Tyranids to a top-tier army able to stand with the big boys and I think that's rather an overestimation. For those willing to sink several hundred extra dollars into a casual army it will open up some options, but it's not really a game-changer.

quote:

What's your reasoning here? The deep strike rules for Tyrannocytes are lifted verbatim from the marine drop pod Inertial Guidance System rule. The only real difference is that the Tyranid version doesn't drop on turn 1, but it's a pretty safe bet that at least one of the formations in this new campaign will let you do that.

I was talking about the Dreadclaw in the section after the quote there. As for formations, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them- it's certainly possible, but GW's rules on formations are really hit and miss. On the one hand, you've got stuff like the Firebase Cadre and Adamantine Lance and on the other you've got stuff like most of the DE formations that are just random combinations of units that are bad at their jobs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone know if the smaller format rulebook is only available at GW?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Does anyone know if the smaller format rulebook is only available at GW?

I'd have to say yes as I recall that was the case with the previous edition one as well.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

$Texas

Damnit!

I know warhammer fantasy had coffin lid shields for vampires at one point, though they look like they are gone now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd have to say yes as I recall that was the case with the previous edition one as well.

Thanks!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Absolute worst you'll have to have the White Dwarf, which is not a bad deal for $12. I use the WD for my Militarum Tempestus, especially since the only order I ever issue is to twin-link things.

I feel obliged to point out that preferred enemy is better if you're not shooting at a vehicle, especially with plasma guns (I would usually advise taking 4 plasma guns in a command squad and leave the meltas to the normal squads).

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Would like some list advice:

1499 points Orks

Warboss - eavy armour, Da Finking Kap, Big choppa - 79
Warboss - Mega armour, lucky stik - 125
Mek - 15
Mek - 15

21 Boyz - Nob, Klaw, Bosspole - 166
10 Grots - Runtherd - 35

10 Tank Bustas - Nob, Bosspole, 3x bomb squig, Trukk - 190
3 MANz - Battlewagon, Bosspole - 235

5 Warbuggy - TL Rokkits - 125
5 Deffkoptas - TL Rokkits - 150

5 Mek gun - Cannon, 5x ammo runs - 105
11x Lootas - 154

I'm trying to keep this as one CAD for now.

My main idea is to foot slog the boyz with the Mega Warboss and a Mek. Run the MANz in the wagon with the other Warboss and Mek. The Warbuggies and Koptas all outflank. Lootas and Mek guns provide fire support.

I love Tank Bustas but I have no idea how to run them. I feel like they will get insta-killed the first time anything looks wrong at the Trukk. I could run them as two units of five on foot and have the Trukk zip around and take objectives? Suggestions?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

CyberLord XP posted:

Would like some list advice:

1499 points Orks

Warboss - eavy armour, Da Finking Kap, Big choppa - 79
Warboss - Mega armour, lucky stik - 125
Mek - 15
Mek - 15

21 Boyz - Nob, Klaw, Bosspole - 166
10 Grots - Runtherd - 35

10 Tank Bustas - Nob, Bosspole, 3x bomb squig, Trukk - 190
3 MANz - Battlewagon, Bosspole - 235

5 Warbuggy - TL Rokkits - 125
5 Deffkoptas - TL Rokkits - 150

11x Lootas - 154

I'm trying to keep this as one CAD for now.

My main idea is to foot slog the boyz with the Mega Warboss and a Mek. Run the MANz in the wagon with the other Warboss and Mek. The Warbuggies and Koptas all outflank. Lootas and Mek guns provide fire support.

I love Tank Bustas but I have no idea how to run them. I feel like they will get insta-killed the first time anything looks wrong at the Trukk. I could run them as two units of five on foot and have the Trukk zip around and take objectives? Suggestions?

Seems OK, but swap out some of the Kannons for Traktor Gunz - otherwise you have 0 antiair.

Trukks are mobile coffins. Your fancy 10 tankbustas will get loving owned by a stray glance. 10 of them is simply overkill, as they're ork stats. For 190 pts you could get like 30 normal boys + some extra.

You need at least another unit of boyz, perhaps a mad dok to keep them going.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

AbusePuppy posted:

It's not that Tyrannocytes are gonna be useless or anything, but a lot of people seem to be under the impression that they will restore Tyranids to a top-tier army able to stand with the big boys and I think that's rather an overestimation. For those willing to sink several hundred extra dollars into a casual army it will open up some options, but it's not really a game-changer.

I doubt most people believe that Nids will suddenly become some broken top-tier army. After all, these pods aren't any better than Skyblight. It's more excitement at the host of options now available from the existing codex.
After instinctive behaviour, the biggest issue with the Tyranid codex was a lack of reliable deployment options for all the melee and short-range shooting units. Many were marginalised by the need to foot-slog it across the table. Now all these toys can be used in a list without needing to roll Master of Ambush every game, or mess around with lovely Trygon tunnels. Things like Zoanthropes, Pyrovores, Stonecrushers, Haruspex and the like have a better chance to kill something before getting blown to gently caress.

If anything, it's good that Tyranids have a nicely balanced transport rather than something strong like a Wave Serpent. At least people shouldn't whinge as much.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Miniature Market is having a 40% off GW sale, but it's from a fairly limited selection and they say stuff wont' be restocked. Why would MM be getting out of the GW game?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Prefect Six posted:

Miniature Market is having a 40% off GW sale, but it's from a fairly limited selection and they say stuff wont' be restocked. Why would MM be getting out of the GW game?

They have 40% while supplies last sales for other stuff, too. There was one for WMH at some point in the last few months. Unless you know something else, I wouldn't take it as evidence they're out of GW retailing for good.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

JerryLee posted:

They have 40% while supplies last sales for other stuff, too. There was one for WMH at some point in the last few months. Unless you know something else, I wouldn't take it as evidence they're out of GW retailing for good.

Ah, ok. I'm not into WMH so I probably didn't notice that.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LordAba posted:

I know warhammer fantasy had coffin lid shields for vampires at one point, though they look like they are gone now.

Eh, I still want to build a baneblade first. Now I just need to talk myself out of getting the forgeworld Stormblade.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Awesome, got their last box of Death Company for 19 bucks. Hope they don't suck in the new book!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Which one of you fuckers got the last Chaos Spawn box? I grabbed Vanguard Vets and a Librarian (both finally at a reasonable price), sniper scouts, ork boyz, and some Warmachine stuff.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I wonder if they'll have any Crisis boxes left when I get off work.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
To those who play Kill Team matches: how well do Tau and/or Necrons hold up in those? I'm hoping to start a Kill Team of something other than Marines and both of these call to me in their own way.

E: Similarly, if I was interested in Adeptus Arbites, would my best bet simply be to get a heap of Judge Dredd minis and some IG Stormtroopers and call it a day?

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

xtothez posted:

If anything, it's good that Tyranids have a nicely balanced transport rather than something strong like a Wave Serpent. At least people shouldn't whinge as much.

I've been saying from the start that losing the mycetic spore was the biggest nerf in the new book. Tyrannocites open up options and allows some units that were mediocre to become good. However, I don't think it makes any of them great.

A flying hive tyrant with dual devourers is still the best unit in the book, and still by far the best HQ option. Instinctive behavior is still too punishing. Still doesn't give nids a way to deal with armor 14 reliably. But, this update goes a long way to balancing them and allowing for many viable lists. Honestly though, I don't think a list with tyrannocites would be better than the list I'm currently running. But I'm going to likely have a blast using them I'm semi-competitive and friendly games, which is what most of my games are anyway.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Prefect Six posted:

Got a link? I'm on mobile and their site is poo poo on mobile for finding that particular special.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

PantsOptional posted:

To those who play Kill Team matches: how well do Tau and/or Necrons hold up in those? I'm hoping to start a Kill Team of something other than Marines and both of these call to me in their own way.

Little gangs of necrons marching around a kill team table blasting poo poo and resurrecting are annoying as gently caress to play against. I am also told that crisis suits jumping around can be very difficult to deal with as well.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

koreban posted:

Got a link? I'm on mobile and their site is poo poo on mobile for finding that particular special.

It's an email order form that you have to request from them if you aren't on the mailing list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Reynold posted:

Little gangs of necrons marching around a kill team table blasting poo poo and resurrecting are annoying as gently caress to play against. I am also told that crisis suits jumping around can be very difficult to deal with as well.

Crisis Suits in Kill Team are completely, insufferably not fun. I took a team of 3 with Pathfinder support to a little Kill Team event and cleaned house, but had no fun doing so because they just annihilated everything saves or no.

• Locked thread