Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

I would actually play more sealed if possible, draft is more fun if you're experienced imo but if you don't have a handle on what your deck needs when drafting, it can be frustrating.

Sealed is better in that regard, but its easier to slot into a draft then a sealed game, imho, there just seem to be more of them. Outside of MTGO at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Check this sweet combo:

Sigarda, Host of Herons. City in a Bottle. Donate City in a Bottle. Play Desert. The game ends in a draw.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How are you playing Desert with City in a Bottle on the field?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

How are you playing Desert with City in a Bottle on the field?

Clearly I'm getting it into play with a crop rotation. Ignore what I said before.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Stab posted:

Check this sweet combo:

Sigarda, Host of Herons. City in a Bottle. Donate City in a Bottle. Play Desert. The game ends in a draw.

I think you mean:

Play Brass Man.
Equip Brass Man with Assault Suit.
Play City in a Bottle.

Fun for every colour.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

I think you mean:

Play Brass Man.
Equip Brass Man with Assault Suit.
Play City in a Bottle.

Fun for every colour.

I call this combo...

:fsmug: :fsmug: BRINGING PEACE TO THE MIDDLE EAST :fsmug: :fsmug:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
In both cases the controller of City in a Bottle loses to time on MODO I think. Un-resolvable trigger problems ala Mindslaver and Spirespine.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Cernunnos posted:

In both cases the controller of City in a Bottle loses to time on MODO I think. Un-resolvable trigger problems ala Mindslaver and Spirespine.

I think it results in another lsv breaks MTGO moment.

Edit: To clarify, there is nothing that stops the trigger from just triggering over and over again. The Spirespine issue was something else.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 4, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: Megathread:
lsv: look what I did
lsv: to the game
lsv: for value

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Opening hand: Time Vault - Black Lotus - Dark Ritual - Underground Sea - Voltaic Key - Force of Will - Gush

:unsmigghh:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Opening hand: Time Vault - Black Lotus - Dark Ritual - Underground Sea - Voltaic Key - Force of Will - Gush

:unsmigghh:

That's only acceptable if the opponent has double Mental Misstep for the key :getin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

UberJew posted:

That's only acceptable if the opponent has double Mental Misstep for the key :getin:

They were playing Stax, so no.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

My deep-cut theory is that M16 will be Modern Master 2. Just remember where you heard it first folks!

I really hope so. I need a play set of gyofs and I don't want to pay dual land prices for those

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Thisuck posted:

I really hope so. I need a play set of gyofs and I don't want to pay dual land prices for those

There's still the mystery format at the GPs later in the year. There's normally a supplemental set around then too, I think, and I don't recall hearing anything about it at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, MTGO pricing is so weird. Toxic Deluge costs 35 tickets (tickets cost $1) online. The deck it comes in is $30 and still for sale; same for True-Name Nemesis. :iiam: Like in real life, there's obvious supply problems, but they just persistently sell the Commander decks on MTGO for retail.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, MTGO pricing is so weird. Toxic Deluge costs 35 tickets (tickets cost $1) online. The deck it comes in is $30 and still for sale; same for True-Name Nemesis. :iiam: Like in real life, there's obvious supply problems, but they just persistently sell the Commander decks on MTGO for retail.
I could be wrong, but isn't that because tickets on the secondary market are worth 90-95 cents, so 35 tickets would be around 32 dollars.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wadjamaloo posted:

I could be wrong, but isn't that because tickets on the secondary market are worth 90-95 cents, so 35 tickets would be around 32 dollars.

I think its more like 95 cents, isn't it? And still, TNN is like 39 tickets. Even with potential taxes and discounts its still more than the whole deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Thisuck posted:

They won't reprint goyf again for a long time. The chance to buy them for 100 bucks has passed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They won't reprint goyf again for a long time. The chance to buy them for 100 bucks has passed.

Whenever MM2 comes out, its going to have Goyf in it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You are going to feel so silly about this when they reprint it in MM2. There is no way they go "whew, the reprints really fixed that supply issue!" and not reprint it again.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

You are going to feel so silly about this when they reprint it in MM2. There is no way they go "whew, the reprints really fixed that supply issue!" and not reprint it again.

I will believe it when I see it. I hope they do, but I have no faith. I would love a few more goyfs, two play sets is better than one.

Also they will never fix the supply issue unless they print it as a common and make 20 billion of them. If you have green in a modern or legacy deck chances are 90% you have a playset of goyfs in it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Whenever MM2 comes out, its going to have Goyf in it.

Even if it does it probably won't have much of an impact on the price...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

There's still the mystery format at the GPs later in the year. There's normally a supplemental set around then too, I think, and I don't recall hearing anything about it at all.

Wasn't it revealed that the mystery format was proxied Legacy Masters, or am I just daydreaming?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

If you're infinite on MTGO both of those cards cost you $0 versus $30, this actually makes perfect sense within the context of MTGO. It's also why there was a minor shitstorm when, I can't even remember the set honestly, required you to buy your guild affiliation from the store. People who normally don't spend real cash on the program were being forced to for release and were PISSED.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Death Bot posted:

Wasn't it revealed that the mystery format was proxied Legacy Masters, or am I just daydreaming?

Paper Vintage Masters was revealed as a draft format for the World Championships, there is no legacy Masters and its not going to be the unknown GP

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Death Bot posted:

100% dreaming. No sanctioned event will allow proxies. They recently announced a format change for worlds where they will have a live VMA draft, but it will not be proxies. Wizards will generate real VMA packs using modo, then take their vintage cards they own to supply the physical packs. This is probably what you are thinking of, but there will be no proxies in any official event ever. It sort of kills business for them when they say "you don't really need to buy the cards"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will believe it when I see it. I hope they do, but I have no faith. I would love a few more goyfs, two play sets is better than one.

Also they will never fix the supply issue unless they print it as a common and make 20 billion of them. If you have green in a modern or legacy deck chances are 90% you have a playset of goyfs in it.

I guess it depends on what you mean by fix supply. I'd snap buy goyfs under $75. If it gets there price down to anywhere near that I'm in. I don't expect $20 goyfs.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Even if it does it probably won't have much of an impact on the price...

Wasn't the problem with MM1 that they didn't supply enough of it for long enough? If they had a ready supply of MM2 available for a long enough time it would be hard to believe it wouldn't affect the price, at least for a little while. Modern prices have started becoming much more reasonable with the reprints of expensive lands and cards like Thoughtseize. MM2 would sell like crazy right now since modern has become more accessible thanks to manabases getting reprints.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wasn't the problem with MM1 that they didn't supply enough of it for long enough? If they had a ready supply of MM2 available for a long enough time it would be hard to believe it wouldn't affect the price, at least for a little while. Modern prices have started becoming much more reasonable with the reprints of expensive lands and cards like Thoughtseize. MM2 would sell like crazy right now since modern has become more accessible thanks to manabases getting reprints.

Yeah but they aren't going to completely dilute the value of these cards by making MM2 with a huge print run.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

jassi007 posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by fix supply. I'd snap buy goyfs under $75. If it gets there price down to anywhere near that I'm in. I don't expect $20 goyfs.

I should have bought them during Lorwyn block when they were $50, and just played B/G elves instead of faeries. Now I have all these sub $200 vendillions and bitterblossoms doing nothing :argh: *I'm actually playing UB faeries in modern and having semi moderate success with it*

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but they aren't going to completely dilute the value of these cards by making MM2 with a huge print run.

I just hope they print enough that stores aren't jacking pack prices up above msrp due to scarcity.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I doubt that is the thing holding them back, though. Look at what they did with reprints in Conspiracy and now Tarkir.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

How much does wizards care about that though? Onslaught fetches are now a quarter of what they cost 6 months ago, I'd wager the overall value "lost" of those 5 cards dropping is more than what would happen with goyf in that scenario.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If they print a set at anything near a good-faith amount, it does significantly lower the price of the reprinted cards (relatively speaking) and it also doesn't cause the Magic world to collapse into anarchy. We've seen this.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
If there's anything Wizards learned from Modern Masters 1 (which caused the price of Goyf and Bob to increase in price) it's that they could stand to print way, WAY more MM2.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's not about the cost of individual cards that drives WOTC to be conservative but the entry cost of the format as a whole, if they ever make Modern cost as much as Standard it's going to have some complicated repercussions on organized play, they want to avoid that. So while they aren't going to say "Oh no we can't make X card that low" they are going to be slow and steady with reprints and aren't likely to make a massive set filled to the brim with value like Modern Masters and print it at a rate anywhere near regular sets.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How much does wizards care about that though? Onslaught fetches are now a quarter of what they cost 6 months ago, I'd wager the overall value "lost" of those 5 cards dropping is more than what would happen with goyf in that scenario.

Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, they put Thoughtseize in Standard.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, they put Thoughtseize in Standard.

I'm waiting on the day brainstorm returns to standard (probably will never happen though).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Thisuck posted:

I'm waiting on the day brainstorm returns to standard (probably will never happen though).

God no gently caress that card. They should ban it in legacy because gently caress blue. If a card is restricted in vintage it should be straight banned in all other formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Brainstorm isn't very good without reliable ways to shuffle your library.

• Locked thread