Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Thought it was implied in the cut scenes that Brigandia killed everbody (both Adventurers and Landers) that tried to flee the city or enslaved them (Landers). Otherwise it would be a very tame sort of tyranny.

Regarding Santa - he would have to be one of the Ancients rather than an ordinary Lander. A rogue outcast from the missing Knights of Izsu perhaps? Will be interesting to find out his motives (a npc doing something unexpected).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In re: Brigandia, I think it was more that no-one could really leave the city, since the TP gates were down and everyone leaving got killed at some point and respawned up there.

I'm not really clear on how one could enforce non-economic tyranny in a city where violence is impossible. I guess in a Japanese school bullying style? "I'm going to tell you to do something and you will do it because of reasons." Or wait, was it just lethal violence that's prohibited? My memory of the first season is apparently a bit hazy.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In re: Brigandia, I think it was more that no-one could really leave the city, since the TP gates were down and everyone leaving got killed at some point and respawned up there.

I'm not really clear on how one could enforce non-economic tyranny in a city where violence is impossible. I guess in a Japanese school bullying style? "I'm going to tell you to do something and you will do it because of reasons." Or wait, was it just lethal violence that's prohibited? My memory of the first season is apparently a bit hazy.

They just killed them outside the city limits.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think it's just MMO style combat that's prohibited; you could still grab someone weaker than you and manhandle them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't get it. I can tell what story they're trying to tell, but the quality of the storytelling is a night and day difference from the Log Horizon we're used to. What are the staff thinking? We can only blame DEEN for some of what's been wrong with the past couple episodes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think they're having trouble working 2 simultaneous A-plots.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Probably trying to do two books in parallel and front-loading twice the setup wasn't the best call.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume it'll pay off.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I don't get it. I can tell what story they're trying to tell, but the quality of the storytelling is a night and day difference from the Log Horizon we're used to. What are the staff thinking? We can only blame DEEN for some of what's been wrong with the past couple episodes.

Why are you trying to pin storyboarding issues on the animation team

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Adelheid posted:

Why are you trying to pin storyboarding issues on the animation team

Yo. Read the post you quoted again, carefully this time.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I actually liked this episode for having Akatsuki actually do some rad combat for a change. I think the scene was fairly well executed spatially. You could get a sense of space and direction the action was happening in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Desuwa posted:

Probably trying to do two books in parallel and front-loading twice the setup wasn't the best call.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume it'll pay off.

I'm sure the payoff will be good eventually yeah, having to sit through twice the setup is rough. Especially since the way they jump from one plot to another is questionable. Like the brief raiding scenes in this episode really felt like filler because it didn't add anything new on that end; we already know they were having a tough time with the raid bosses!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I just want to see Mr. Democracy getting trolled some more and then walking off somewhere and grumbling. Log Horizon 2 please give me more of that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the problem is that they have to develop both at the same time since they are both coinciding chronologically with Shiroe and Akatsuki meeting up after they both got killed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Since that's next episode hopefully it'll pick up after this then, yeah?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I also liked that Akatsuki got to show off a bit this episode. She's pretty dull when she's just moping around all day. I don't think this season really benefited from the in media res thing it tried to do. The main risk with that kind of setup is that you lose the viewers from the get-go, which I think did happen, and then there wasn't much to show for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I think the problem is that they have to develop both at the same time since they are both coinciding chronologically with Shiroe and Akatsuki meeting up after they both got killed.

They could do one plot to its end and then start off the other and label it "so and so weeks ago".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

They could do one plot to its end and then start off the other and label it "so and so weeks ago".

I think people would have gotten confused about both of them being dead at the same time, if two episodes went by without mentioning it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Or alternate episodes so we don't burn out on one plot line.

Or in several different ways that isn't what they did, really.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ViggyNash posted:

Or alternate episodes so we don't burn out on one plot line.

Or in several different ways that isn't what they did, really.

Isn't alternating episodes basically what they've been doing?

Anyways, I thought this episode was a lot of fun. No idea why everyone's so negative.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Bremen posted:

Anyways, I thought this episode was a lot of fun. No idea why everyone's so negative.

Same here. It had a good fight scene for Akatsuki, most of the build-up in this episode was either interesting or had a point and the plot seems chugging along now. Sure it didn't blow my mind or anything but I thought it was good fun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bremen posted:

Not really, no. Episodes 2 and 3 were almost all Shiroe and the raid, with a few random bits about Akatsuki and Akiba in general that seemed out of place at the time. Then the show suddenly ignores the raid and focuses entirely on the random happenings of Akiba until Evil Santa shows up and everyone's fighting him, but there are a couple random bits showing the raid guys, but in no meaningful way. There was no transition between the two; we were simply ripped out of the raid - which I now wanted to see finished - and thrown into Akiba with no real context until Evil Santa killed that first girl.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well the raid still has a ways to go before it's over, so you'll see it finish. THem being dead together is just giving them the opportunity to pep talk each other. Well, for Shiroe to pep talk Akitsuki because Shiroe dgaf.

And what's up with Evil Santa; can't you all just call him crazy murderer guy? he's not really santa or doing santa things, evil or no.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Drifter posted:

Well the raid still has a ways to go before it's over, so you'll see it finish. THem being dead together is just giving them the opportunity to pep talk each other. Well, for Shiroe to pep talk Akitsuki because Shiroe dgaf.

And what's up with Evil Santa; can't you all just call him crazy murderer guy? he's not really santa or doing santa things, evil or no.

But Evil Santa's more fun to say than random loco dude.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Annointed posted:

But Evil Santa's more fun to say than random loco dude.

You had all built my hopes up until I watched that episode and then they were dashed. DASHED, I say.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

You had all built my hopes up until I watched that episode and then they were dashed. DASHED, I say.

He is evil Santa because he gives presents of pain and death.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dante Logos posted:

He is evil Santa because he gives presents of pain and death.

He also tells people "MERRY CHRISTMAS"! What a swell guy.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ilifinicus posted:

This latest episode gave me insight into what it feels like to be an MMO casual, what a strange feeling it must be to be Akatsuki tier scrub

Nobody is spitting on her for being the casual scum she is my immersion!!!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caught up with this show just in time to see Soujiro in a pretty good action scene. I now am reading his sidestory manga, because the guy is cool.

Things are obviously much slower than S1 but they don't seem too bad to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://a.pomf.se/cayqhj.webm

nyanta in the english dub is perhaps too dashing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cake Attack posted:

http://a.pomf.se/cayqhj.webm

nyanta in the english dub is perhaps too dashing

Please tell me this is real. Oh my God.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahahaha that's amazing if it is the real thing. Good lord.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If that isn't real then I'm gonna kill myself because there's no reason to live.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like that Nyanta voice though Serara really suffers from that generic little girl anime dub voice.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
Wait, that dub implies that Serara actually left the house.

Checked the episode real quick. Serara is supposed to ask Nyanta how town was, instead of Nyanta asking Serara.

Arkanterian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 4, 2014

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Nyanta is still the best character in the series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's the real thing, that's a cake attack guarantee

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
:pusheen: casting director knows what's up

but only two nyas? the purity of my animes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This seems to be the actor's first major role. He normally voices one-episode characters and background people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The voice is great, but the lines have him straight up hitting on Serara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Nyanta is still the best character in the series.

He really is-nya~~~ :3:

• Locked thread