Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Fucknag posted:

Quit talking poo poo about SEMA trucks, look how badass these things are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCfgx_krIo0

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that all of those struts were twinned and attached to both the frame and axles in single shear.

I have no idea what you're talking about, that suspension looks really sturdy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The older brother from NPR's "Car talk" died. I dont have an image or video, but truly that is an example terrible car stuff :(

Listened with my dad in the early 90s long before my car enthusiasm bloomed, and picked them up this year via podcast form on the internet, only to find out they stopped broadcasting 2 years ago and the episodes were just being repeated. Every episode they made is quality stuff. In lieu of just pulling a youtube copy of an episode, they have some classic quotes on the website i'll quote here:

Tom Magliozzi posted:

“It's only a car.”

"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!"

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations"

“How do you know if you've got a good mechanic? By the size of his boat.”

"If money can fix it, it's not a problem."

“Our Humility is what makes us great.”

“Reality often astonishes theory.”

"Life is too short to own a German car.”

“Kids: get away from the cell phones, get away from the computers, and mail someone a fish before it’s too late.”

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis” - “Unencumbered by the thought process.” Tom’s self-proclaimed motto.

“Never let the facts stand in the way of a good answer”

"Some guy I met said it's amazing how we use cars on our show as an excuse to discuss everything in the world—energy, psychology, behavior, love, money, economics and finance. The cars themselves are boring as hell."

“It is better to travel in hope than arrive in despair.”

"If it falls off, it doesn't matter.”

"I like to drive with the windows open. I mean, before you know it, you're going to spend plenty of time sealed up in a box anyway, right?”

Do yourself a favor and put the podcast version of their show on your podcast app or RSS feed.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 4, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

N is for Nipples posted:

The actual trims you're looking for are F150 XLT Lariat Platinum Harley-Davidson edition 4x4 (or FX4?) SuperCrew with the 5.0.

The full list of different trims for F150s is terrible car stuff. :psyduck:

I went to Ford's site a couple weeks ago after they finally put up the configurator for the new aluminum bodied F150s, and holy poo poo why are there so many trims? What's wrong with three trims like: 'base model contractor trim', 'midrange trim with better seats and a decent stereo and power windows and locks' and 'why did you buy this instead of a nice midsize luxury car that would have cost less?' trims? Add just a couple option packs to each trim like short/long bed, crew cab, and 4x4 and voila, you have an entire lineup that's way less confusing than the current mishmash. Also easier and more streamlined (and possibly cheaper) to produce, since you have fewer possible combinations to deal with at the factory.

Also add the EB V6 as an option to base model 2x4 short beds with 4.11 gears to the available configs because otherwise you hate fun, Ford.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I went to Ford's site a couple weeks ago after they finally put up the configurator for the new aluminum bodied F150s, and holy poo poo why are there so many trims? What's wrong with three trims like: 'base model contractor trim', 'midrange trim with better seats and a decent stereo and power windows and locks' and 'why did you buy this instead of a nice midsize luxury car that would have cost less?' trims? Add just a couple option packs to each trim like short/long bed, crew cab, and 4x4 and voila, you have an entire lineup that's way less confusing than the current mishmash. Also easier and more streamlined (and possibly cheaper) to produce, since you have fewer possible combinations to deal with at the factory.

Also add the EB V6 as an option to base model 2x4 short beds with 4.11 gears to the available configs because otherwise you hate fun, Ford.

The f-150 competes with an incredibly wide range of vehicles, and they have trim levels to match. The tremor with the 3.5/4.10 rear and raptor will probably show up together at some point, hopefully in new york in 2 weeks or detroit in 2 months.

Name these 3 car models, and explain to me why there are 3 of them.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Powershift posted:

The f-150 competes with an incredibly wide range of vehicles, and they have trim levels to match. The tremor with the 3.5/4.10 rear and raptor will probably show up together at some point, hopefully in new york in 2 weeks or detroit in 2 months.

535, 535+m package, 535m -> $$$, $$$$ + a little performance boost, $$$$$ + all the upgrades

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

335i, 435i Gran Coupe, 335i Gran Turismo

Why? Because BMW thinks people will buy them and platform sharing is cheap.

Also the 435i GC is more of a looker than the 335i Sedan.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guinness posted:

Why? Because BMW thinks knows people will buy them and platform sharing is cheap.

Fixed that for you, and yes the 4 GC is the best looking of the bunch.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Right? Although I like the differentiation between King Ranch and Platinum, I'm not sure if Lariat still exists, FX2 > FX4, Raptor > All, and I drive an XLT SuperCrew with the 5.5ft bed and the Cyclone V6.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

BMW has turned everything imaginable into marketing.. TT 6 no real difference aside from suspension. This is incidentally why I don't buy cars from them anymore.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SaNChEzZ posted:

535, 535+m package, 535m -> $$$, $$$$ + a little performance boost, $$$$$ + all the upgrades

Perfectly captures why BMW sucks. You couldn't be more wrong.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

From the poo poo end of the stick I can confirm that BMW's suck rear end mechanically now and the interiors are of a noticeably poorer quality materials- and construction-wise. The E34-39 era was by far the best in terms of quality and mechanical goodness.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Why does the 3gt even exist? The 5gt was because nobody in America bought the 5 wagon, but nobody bought the 5gt either, except (seemingly) in China.

Haven't they learned, or is it also because of China

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I see 5GTs in the UK with alarming regularity. They look like an X5 trying to wear a regular 5 series' skin like the alien from MIB.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Perfectly captures why BMW sucks. You couldn't be more wrong.

I genuinely had no idea you could get a 4-door version of the 4 and 6 series. There's a lumpy 5-door hatchback version of the 2-series as well; BMW's naming conventions are incredible

quote:

Powerful and athletic. With the presence of an X model and the athleticism of a coupé. The BMW X6 transcends all limits.

There's some on topic material.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you hadn't stated those were all different cars I wouldn't have noticed. I mean I know manufacturer's cars all tend to have a similar look due to the designers but that's ridiculous.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/11/04/bmw-range-becomes-self-generating/

"There was panic in Munich today with news that the BMW range has become self-generating.

‘You don’t think we wanted to make something called the 3-series GT?’ admitted range planner Ray Nge-Plannar. ‘The range just came up with it. It’s replicating at a vast and completely inexplicable rate.’

‘I mean, have you seen the 4-series Gran Coupe?’ Nge-Plannar continued. ‘We didn’t ask for that. No one did. It’s stupid. The range is just generating this poo poo out of itself. We’re cold and frightened. Send help.’

BMW sources say staff are now scared to enter the company’s vast R&D centre for fear of what they might encounter. ‘Last time I went in there I swear I saw a two door 7-series hatchback,’ revealed one anonymous engineer. ‘And someone else reckons the range’s next re-generation is a convertible estate version of the Z4. What awful, awful horrors will it think of next? An M version of the X5? Oh, wait…’"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Edmund Honda posted:

I genuinely had no idea you could get a 4-door version of the 4 and 6 series.

Eh, why not a 4 door 4 series? Why not a 3/4 ton truck 4 series? They literally just came up with the "4 series" designation 6 months ago, it doesn't mean anything to anyone.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Wild EEPROM posted:

Why does the 3gt even exist? The 5gt was because nobody in America bought the 5 wagon, but nobody bought the 5gt either, except (seemingly) in China.

Haven't they learned, or is it also because of China

Bavaria has a bit of a meth problem these days, so...

But for real, the answer is indeed China and also old people. At least in Germany, the 3gt and 5gt are surprisingly popular (at least where I live), but almost exclusively among old people. Apparently it's easier to enter or something, I don't know.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ghost Farts posted:

Bavaria has a bit of a meth problem these days, so...

But for real, the answer is indeed China and also old people. At least in Germany, the 3gt and 5gt are surprisingly popular (at least where I live), but almost exclusively among old people. Apparently it's easier to enter or something, I don't know.

Yeah, it's like the Scion xB. Really easy ingress due to the higher ride height compared to the 3 / 5 series, but isn't tall / huge like the X3 / X5.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
lovely photo, but meet the Louis Vuitton edition Dodge Charger:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, why not a 4 door 4 series? Why not a 3/4 ton truck 4 series? They literally just came up with the "4 series" designation 6 months ago, it doesn't mean anything to anyone.

I thought, originally anyway, that the whole point of the 2 and 4 were to be two door versions of the 3 and 5. Then I remembered that BMW is hellbent on making no sense.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

I thought, originally anyway, that the whole point of the 2 and 4 were to be two door versions of the 3 and 5. Then I remembered that BMW is hellbent on making no sense.

I also hate the fact that they've gotten away from the [X series][Y.Z displacement] numbering scheme, so a 328 doesn't necessarily have a 2.8L engine. I don't know why it bothers me but it really does.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My favorite is the Z4 sDrive35is

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I also hate the fact that they've gotten away from the [X series][Y.Z displacement] numbering scheme, so a 328 doesn't necessarily have a 2.8L engine. I don't know why it bothers me but it really does.

My 86 325e has a 2.7l engine, they've been doing that for a long time. See also the e32 745i

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My favorite moniker was in late 87/early 88 when Chrysler stood up the Eagle division. They were still making the AMC 4wd wagon for a short window of time, and transitioned them to the Eagle division.

That made them an Eagle Eagle wagon.

Also, VW had a Rabbit Carat for a brief time.

Mazda Mazda6

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nitrox posted:

There is a huge assortment of vehicles that are ok to drive with a regular license. I've personally drove a GM T7500, and International 4300, both 24' trucks with GVW of 25,500. The lack of license restrictions is scary and uplifting at the same time.

I cannot argue with this.

Panty Saluter posted:

Have you ever been to an autocross? You would think that car enthusiasts would be the cool guy crowd if you haven't but in reality they're as goony and awful as any anime con, just substitute Miatas for waifus.

Any race situation you are definitely going to get your daily allowance of spergs. It's all very technical ad they're there to win, a lot of them. I did meet quite a few people who were just autocrossing for fun in my district, though. Hell, one guy's car was down, which was also his daily, so he brought the rental. An autocrossing stock '90s FWD Impala (Lumina, maybe?) was hilarious.

Car shows, if you go to the right ones (small, casual ones generally - not the ones filled with car show pros) you can get the cool car people.

dev null posted:

I really wish I could buy a NEW small pickup truck in the US, that's terrible car stuff right there.

Is the new Colorado bigger than you're looking for? I could see how it might be.

For the record, the biggest truck I own is my XJ Cherokee, which has been filled to the brim several times in the 18 months I've owned it, but I use my Dad's 3/4 Dodge (and trailer) several times a year to move big stuff. He uses it WAY more. Hay fields, tractors and stuff (he's a mechanical engineer, but he really wants to be a farmer when he grows up.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

G-Mach posted:

I found this hidden in the woods behind a circle track.

Uh, wow.
Somebody had a bunch of yellow paint sitting around, among other things.

e:

MrYenko posted:

Swamp rednecks best rednecks.

Those are transverse-mounted seats in the back of the Camaro and the El Camino, for anyone who didn't notice them.

Did not see that! They're tour buggies? also, isn't that a Ranchero?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

revmoo posted:

My favorite is the Z4 sDrive35is

How about the BMW ActiveHybrid 3?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

See, that's what I thought!
Also, RE: the 435i Gran Coupe, how does a coupe have 4 doors? Doesn't coupe mean "2-door"?

The only company with more nonsensical naming conventions than BMW would be Infiniti, where everything is a "Q". God, that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I take it back, none of the things I have posted so far were the worst thing. That would be this.

The very existence of low profile oversize mud tires is a mortal sin against mankind.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Are we sure that will.i.am didn't design that jeep?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Are we sure that will.i.am didn't design that jeep?

Too much of the original body is intact for it to have been caused by him

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Icedude posted:

Too much of the original body is intact for it to have been caused by him

Caused, not designed. I like this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also, nothing of value was lost. Will.I.Am would have started with one of the last Lancia Delta Integrales in existence.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Darchangel posted:

See, that's what I thought!
Also, RE: the 435i Gran Coupe, how does a coupe have 4 doors? Doesn't coupe mean "2-door"?

The only company with more nonsensical naming conventions than BMW would be Infiniti, where everything is a "Q". God, that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Nah,coupe can have 4 doors. Generally just denotes a lack of a B pillar.

However, apparently Ze Germans have their own thoughts.

Per wiki " In Germany the definition of the coupe was finally divided into the classic coupe and 4-door coupe. This definition and concept of four-door coupe (instead of sedan) are evident in Germany, but they are not yet widely known in the rest of the world."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why is the beetle called a sedan?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Because of the B pillar, most likely. Or Ze Germans again.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah B-pillar / framed doors. Although a frameless/pillarless 4-door should be called a hardtop, not a 4-door coupe. :colbert:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008