Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The biggest advantage to moving to 64bit is better nintendo 64 emulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Don Lapre posted:

Win.
And thus, the conversation is ended.

So amazon still has my cover expected to arrive tomorrow. Has anyone heard anything about those? Play store still says coming soon, so I am very doubtful about amazon (not to mention their lack of stock of the actual tablet...)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

No no no no. Free RAM accomplishes nothing. When an app loads, it puts it's data in RAM. When you change to another app, that app loads it data but the first app leaves its data behind. When you switch back to the first app, it's data is already there and it loads faster. If a new app requires more RAM than is free the old data is dumped AT THE SPEED OF ELECTRONS. There's absolute zero benefit on manually managing RAM. You are bad at it. Do not do it.

I'm not saying I manage the RAM on my devices. I'm just saying that the base footprint is much lower on Nexus devices. I don't kill apps or manually manage anything on either device. However, the Nexus device always has more free ram by a pretty significant margin and thus doesn't necessarily need 3gb to ensure things aren't getting booted out of active memory.

I'm just saying using something that has a manufacturer overlay and installed apps as a baseline to determine that the N9 should have 3gb of RAM is flawed.

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
My nexus 9 just arrived and I've powered it up, its on the welcome screen waiting for a language to be chosen. Problem is, I can't press anything on the screen, its like it isn't registering 'clicks'/presses.

Dammit.

Edit: A factory reset does nothing.

Chompers fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2014

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Chompers posted:

My nexus 9 just arrived and I've powered it up, its on the welcome screen waiting for a language to be chosen. Problem is, I can't press anything on the screen, its like it isn't registering 'clicks'/presses.

Dammit.

Where'd you order it from? My Amazon one is still in limbo. My Newegg one looks like it wont come until next week.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Don Lapre posted:

Actually, 64 is two times 32, so 64bits is two times faster than 32bits. You could apply the same logic to saying it's two times slower, but you'd be wrong.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Nexus 9 is $200 from HTC. lol.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/4/7154825/htc-selling-nexus-9-tablet-for-half-price

http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-hot-deals/

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

5436 posted:

Where'd you order it from? My Amazon one is still in limbo. My Newegg one looks like it wont come until next week.

I bought it direct from google as amazon was listing a december release date.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wait, what, hahaha

E: The website is predictably not working

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2014

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

HTC, are you serious? :vince:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

I'm guessing this means that no one bought the 16GB ones, as it's just not enough storage to be useful. Maybe they release a new SKU with 64 or 128Gb in January.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Besides it being a dick move to discount something so deeply that just came out and a bunch of people spent full price on, it's a doubly dick move to have a flash sale on something that many people aren't even able to GET because of limited stock.

Then, on top of all that, the website is broken.

Oh well, it's only on the 16gb model and that's pretty useless to me anyways.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Its broken. Got to "add to cart" and it crashes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow if anyone can get the tablet for that price it's a heck of a deal. I bought the 16 GB one because I just browse the web and listen to podcasts. I would only worry about space if I installed games. With a few small apps installed I have about 9 GB free on the device.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wish local BB had it in stock. Would try to PM.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its changed to $50 off now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

wooger posted:

I'm guessing this means that no one bought the 16GB ones, as it's just not enough storage to be useful. Maybe they release a new SKU with 64 or 128Gb in January.
Maybe they will release one that's not poo poo next year. I'd gladly pay $600 for an 8.9" Nexus tablet with good build quality, wireless charging, RAM and resolution at least as high as the current Nexus phone and OoOE CPU cores that don't have to "optimize" precompiled code every time you load an application.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
:psyduck: You guys are being silly, the build quality of the tablet is fine. The only issue that worries me is how hot it gets, because heat is a killer for reliability over time. Otherwise it's a fantastic 9" tablet, even at it's full $400 price.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
BB online has some open box ones for 360. I just got one, says arriving Friday.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

:psyduck: You guys are being silly, the build quality of the tablet is fine. The only issue that worries me is how hot it gets, because heat is a killer for reliability over time. Otherwise it's a fantastic 9" tablet, even at it's full $400 price.

They should have fixed this by jamming a Qi coil in there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does the nexus 9 not have qi charging?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

BB online has some open box ones for 360. I just got one, says arriving Friday.

You can get a brand new one with the 10% off movers coupon for the same price.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Does the nexus 9 not have qi charging?

It does not.

Mine doesn't bounce like that at all either.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Don Lapre posted:

You can get a brand new one with the 10% off movers coupon for the same price.

I plan on applying that coupon to the open box.

edit: drat its in store only

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

I plan on applying that coupon to the open box.

edit: drat its in store only

Movers guide does not apply to openbox.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Don Lapre posted:

Movers guide does not apply to openbox.

Round 2. Emailed newegg to price match HTC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

5436 posted:

Round 2. Emailed newegg to price match HTC.

Good luck, the website says $50 off.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Good luck, the website says $50 off.

It said 50% for a bit then changed to $50 off. Good thing because lol half off.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It said 50% for a bit then changed to $50 off. Good thing because lol half off.

Yea, it was a real deal, started at 12p and they posted it on their facebook at 12:07 lol

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

It's sold out already. :(

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Best Buy cancelled my order. Epic.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

butt dickus posted:

They should have fixed this by jamming a Qi coil in there.

No 'flex-gate' issues with my N9.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Actually lol mine does flex, but holy LOL is Gizmodo trying to turn nothing into an issue. When you touch the back the soft covering flexes in a bit. There's no structural change to the actual tablet back. It's like when you press a cushion and it pushes in a bit. Go play with one in the wild and you'll see it's not an issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mod sassinator posted:

Actually lol mine does flex, but holy LOL is Gizmodo trying to turn nothing into an issue.

Why, I never...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If the Nexus 9 was $199/$249 suddenly creaking, light bleed, camera protrusion and mushy buttons would be absent from every review. I know of people expect a lot for the price but in an iPad world the price is quite reasonable.

And lol at the idiots flipping about the black bars on movies. It's 4:3. I posted a pic just for reference but knew a 4:3 device would look like that.

Nexus 9. The tablet everyone loves to hate because it's so expensive.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

hotsauce posted:

If the Nexus 9 was $199/$249 suddenly creaking, light bleed, camera protrusion and mushy buttons would be absent from every review. I know of people expect a lot for the price but in an iPad world the price is quite reasonable.

And lol at the idiots flipping about the black bars on movies. It's 4:3. I posted a pic just for reference but knew a 4:3 device would look like that.

Nexus 9. The tablet everyone loves to hate because it's so expensive.

Cause at $400 its competing with an iPad Air 1. At $350 it'd probably be well received.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Besides it being a dick move to discount something so deeply that just came out and a bunch of people spent full price on, it's a doubly dick move to have a flash sale on something that many people aren't even able to GET because of limited stock.

Then, on top of all that, the website is broken.

Oh well, it's only on the 16gb model and that's pretty useless to me anyways.

I could deal w/16Gb for $200 off. I even went to bed late last night and still missed out.

Maybe the ends justify the means? The site did get a ton of press and traffic in one shot too.

I guess, I'll be camping out waiting for BF/CM deals this month :v:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

5436 posted:

Cause at $400 its competing with an iPad Air 1. At $350 it'd probably be well received.

If you aren't buying it with the 10% movers coupon... anyhow, bracing for the trashing of the $700 N6. That thing better be absolutely perfect or internet lynch mob kicks into high gear.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

5436 posted:

It's lighter, faster, has more memory, and runs a better operating system (IMHO) than the iPad Air 1. I really don't see how $400 isn't competitive with the Air 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If by faster you mean "stutters when opening applications" then yes, it's faster.

Don't get me wrong, I had a Nexus 10 and was excited about the 9, but Google and HTC have done their best to make me not want it. Since the first 7 I've bought every Nexus phone/tablet on launch but all three devices this time are bad.