Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Le0 posted:

Why do they have the impression that people would be giving their edibles to children? I fail to understand. I'd for sure keep them for me

It scares old people and parents into voting against marijuana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Le0 posted:

Why do they have the impression that people would be giving their edibles to children? I fail to understand. I'd for sure keep them for me

For 40 years there have been paranoid fears about people giving drugs to kids on Halloween. The first incarnation of it that I know of were rumors that people ~ON DRUGS~ were going to give kids blotter acid with pictures of Mickey Mouse, etc. Never mind if it doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter that it would be expensive or that it would be trivially easy for law enforcement to trace it back to the source. A person ~ON DRUGS~ will do anything evil just for the gently caress of it.

This all goes hand in hand with hysterical notions that some psycho is going to give kids apples with razor blades in them. It's all related to a generalized fear of other people in a modern society.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 3, 2014

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...e_may_turn.html

quote:

Florida was supposed to change the way the South thinks about medical marijuana. In late July, a full 88 percent of the state supported legalizing medical cannabis, and in early October 67 percent supported Amendment 2 specifically.* Instead, that wide margin has all but disappeared, and rather than join the 23 other states with similar laws on the books, the amendment appears to be bleeding support by the hour.

A private trend poll commissioned by an out-of-state company has shown a clear downward tick in the final week before Election Day, and a Tampa Bay Times “insiders poll” of state political experts has more than 80 percent expecting a loss. It’s still too close to call, but if the initiative fails on Tuesday, Florida will make a different sort of history: It will be the largest state to ever reject legal medical marijuana by popular vote.

It's a shame there was an onslaught of negative advertising and barely anything out of United for Care. It is pretty hard for the grassroots to go up against Sheldon Adelson. We'll see what happens. I'm not terribly hopeful. Maybe those early 88% support polls were bogus anyway.

The 60% threshold is bullshit.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 3, 2014

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/education/edlife/this-is-your-brain-on-drugs-marijuana-adults-teens.html

Now there's a major story in the NY Times about the negative effects of marijuana on the brain.

quote:

High-THC marijuana is associated with paranoia and psychosis, according to a June article in The New England Journal of Medicine. “We have seen very, very significant increases in emergency room admissions associated with marijuana use that can’t be accounted for solely on basis of changes in prevalence rates,” said Nora D. Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse and a co-author of the THC study. “It can only be explained by the fact that current marijuana has higher potency associated with much greater risk for adverse effects.” Emergency room visits related to marijuana have nearly doubled, from 66,000 in 2004 to 129,000 in 2011, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

e_angst posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/education/edlife/this-is-your-brain-on-drugs-marijuana-adults-teens.html

Now there's a major story in the NY Times about the negative effects of marijuana on the brain.

It's not the dumbest article, but it does contain a lot of hand-wringing. Studies in the past showed that cannabis changed the brain and now that it's stronger it's changing the brain more. Doesn't exactly sound like the most groundbreaking study.

Here's the bottom line:

New York Times posted:

The study was preliminary and small, and attempts to replicate it are underway. Meanwhile, Dr. Gilman is trying to figure out how the findings relate to brain function and behavior.

But that's not how the article ends. This is:

NYT posted:

They had impaired working memories as well. “Working memory is key for learning,” Dr. Breiter said. “If I were to design a substance that is bad for college students, it would be marijuana.”

It certainly wouldn't be a drug that helps your workload of studies while also putting you at risk of death through OD or mixing it with alcohol. Nope, marijuana is literally designed to ruin college students.

Who wrote this anyway?

NYT posted:

Abigail Sullivan Moore is co-author of “The iConnected Parent: Staying Close to Your Kids in College (and Beyond) While Letting Them Grow Up.”

The author of "How To Smother Your Children While Not Alienating Them So Much That They Never Talk To You Again."

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I can see how that could be the case, especially since dabs hit the scene, and some folks just can't hang. I am sort of curious what they do with someone who comes to the ER for weed reasons. Do they just take a pulse, go "yep it weed" and bill you?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I literally could not have done college without weed, and I could give a gently caress if what you did in college was interesting.

A lot of it is not interesting, and that's what booze and drugs are for. Sorry squares.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

The iConnected Parent

:barf:

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Give us a bit, we'll do some actual research here in Colorado. Our grants are in and being reviewed, we'll hear about which grants were accepted in December and pick up the recruiting in January!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gee I wonder if anything else has happened between 2004 and 2011 that might account for increased rates of paranoia and psychosis.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Dear God imagine being her kid, that's a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
What the gently caress.

Why don't they do a study on how a criminal record/jail time for smoking pot affects the futures of kids aged 18 to 25?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

snorch posted:

I am sort of curious what they do with someone who comes to the ER for weed reasons. Do they just take a pulse, go "yep it weed" and bill you?

A while ago I had a panic attack while smoking alone and I genuinely thought I was choking, so I called an ambulance. The guys who responded told me they were 99% sure there was nothing physically wrong with me, but said they'd take me in if I asked them to. I'd just gotten some new insurance and I still felt like my airway was obstructed (it probably wasn't, spoiler alert), so I decided to go in.

Basically, the answer to your question is yes. You'll be checked for anything else it could be (they humored me by examining my airway thoroughly), monitored until you chill out, and then released.

I wasn't given any medication at the hospital. (I also wasn't asked if I or my family had a history of anxiety or panic disorders, which we very much do.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Another casualty of the devil weed...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Why is this idiot writing about studies that are preliminary, small, and yet to be replicated? Come back when some she actually gets published in a journal.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Why is this idiot writing about studies that are preliminary, small, and yet to be replicated? Come back when some she actually gets published in a journal.

Because ballots in Oregon are due tomorrow?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are the chances of DC legalizing weed now? Is it only possession or does it include sale as well? When should the results be available?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://ballotpedia.org/Washington_D.C._Marijuana_Legalization,_Initiative_71_(November_2014)

quote:

Regulation of sales
Election law does not allow a citizen initiative to mandate the expenditure of city funds. This forces Initiative 71 to avoid addressing the regulation and legalization of marijuana sales, since a regulatory system would require substantial city expenditure. Thus, Initiative 71 simply legalizes possession and personal cultivation. The initiative demands that the city council design and pass an ordinance to establish regulations on marijuana retail and enforcement of such regulations.[7]

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So is california about to make drug possession a misdemeanor?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Guam LEGALIZED IT (for people who are already dying painfully)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/04/guam-medical-marijuana_n_6100972.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xandu posted:

So is california about to make drug possession a misdemeanor?

Seems like it, though from what I've heard it only applies to new charges.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

computer parts posted:

Seems like it, though from what I've heard it only applies to new charges.

Also not clear from the reporting what quantities it applies to, but honestly seems like a bigger step than potential legalization in Oregon or Alaska.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Xandu posted:

Also not clear from the reporting what quantities it applies to, but honestly seems like a bigger step than potential legalization in Oregon or Alaska.

It seems that it applies to whether it's for personal use or sale, not a specific quantity, so it might be left to the judgment of the courts? One of the problems with the whole public initiative system, it can result in very fuzzy and poorly written state laws.

It's not about drug sentencing per se, it's an across the board reduction of severity for non-violent crimes as long as you don't have a previous violent crime conviction on your record. Also it does allow for those in jail to seek re-sentencing, but it seems like a highly scrutinized system, not one in which your sentencing is automatically changed if you meet the requirements.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What are the chances of DC legalizing weed now? Is it only possession or does it include sale as well? When should the results be available?

Passing? Almost definite.

*Enacting* it will be a huge legal battle since we're Congress's bitch.

Polls close 8pm, prelim results about 10pm.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Florida MMJ amendment seems to have failed by 3% :wtc:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sounds like a good reason to try again in an actual sane time to do drug referendums 2 years.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

drat olds. The downside of mail in here in Oregon is no exit polling to let me know how our measure is doing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It's only at 87% reporting.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Medicinal-Marijuana-Hangs-in-Balance-Tuesday-281397311.html

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
NO gently caress IT DID LOSE gently caress THIS STATE

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
It'll get on the 2016 ballot and probably pass, unless some rich rear end in a top hat dumps unmatchable amounts of money into negative ads.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I can only hope I'm not still in this poo poo state by then. (I probably will be :( )

reading
Jul 27, 2013

superjew posted:

It'll get on the 2016 ballot and probably pass, unless some rich rear end in a top hat dumps unmatchable amounts of money into negative ads.

I think this issue will be a zombie that will keep coming back, every two years, until it passes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where's the data on DC Legalizing weed or Oregon?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

Where's the data on DC Legalizing weed or Oregon?

D.C. initiative: Marijuana
For 34,500 68.6 %
Against 15,810 31.4
28.7% of precincts reporting

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

D.C. initiative: Marijuana
For 34,500 68.6 %
Against 15,810 31.4
28.7% of precincts reporting

I believe it passed in D.C. (But being under a republican congress, there's no chance of anything happening from it)

In Oregon, I'm confident it will pass, but polls closed like 15 mins ago so we'll see.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
@CopsSayLegalize: Whoa! With 32% of precincts reporting, Measure 91 to legalize #marijuana in #Oregon has a 17 point lead!

Looks good folks.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

superjew posted:

I hate to be the "told you so" type, but I remember telling you that it was a lost cause in a midterm, especially in THE old people state. I'm surprised that it was even that close. My condolences.

Sheldon Aldeson won't be able to stop it next time. Plus, he might be dead by then.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Every precinct in DC voted to legalise http://electionmap.wamu.org

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
According to the Oregonian, legalization has passed in Oregon. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
:catdrugs: Congratz Oregon & DC!!! :catdrugs:

Spark one up for all of us criminals here in the midwest.

• Locked thread