Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
No because for each content-less post the ROI decreases for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MrKatharsis posted:

No because for each content-less post the ROI decreases for everyone else.

gently caress you, post mine.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
There's an archived thread in the Travel forum that I really want to read... but I didn't budget $10 in YNAB :smith:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Renegret posted:

So says the guy who paid $10 to post on the internet...

...says the guy who also paid $10 to post on the internet.

Psssh this subforum and the Coupon subforum has more than re-paid the 10 bucks.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MJBuddy posted:

The Zaurg thread alone was worth more than what I paid to see the stupid new Star Wars trilogy back in the day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MJBuddy posted:

I've never gone to the coupon subforum but I know I've saved more than ten bucks from goon discounts in SA Mart.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Renegret posted:

I've never gone to the coupon subforum

:mad:

PooBoots
Feb 27, 2007

a worthy uhh posted:

Buying Archives is bad with money :colbert:

Having Archives is pretty baller, dudebro. :cool:

Sorry about that. I thought the thread was in the Goldmine. It *should* be in the Goldmine.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think I got coupons/deals and samart with archives so yeah it was worth it.

Seriously my prescription glasses cost like $15 bucks and I bought some goon's sweet 6 month old gaming rig for like $450 bucks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 4, 2014

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Renegret posted:

I've never gone to the coupon subforum but I know I've saved more than ten bucks from goon discounts in SA Mart.

Not going to the coupons subforum = being bad with money

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sorry I'm sure you have a very nice subforum there and I'm sure I will check it out in the near future please don't be mad at me :shobon:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I saved 10 bucks on my first pizza order after joining!
:goonsay:

e. also got a great deal on domain hosting I rarely use!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

oopsie rock posted:

Not going to the coupons subforum = being bad with money
But the coupons are all for stuff I don't need, so buying them anyway would be worse with money. :v:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Just signed up for a year of free credit monitoring from Home Depot thanks to the coupon thread and the wonderful Russian hackers!

I just had to send an email with my name to some email address and they sent me a promo code. Do they even cross reference their point-of-sale database? Couldn't you just say you are John Smith? Pretty awesome.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
Former employee of mine's brother received a fairly large sum of cash (roughly 350,000) as an inheritance after their father passed away.

Neither him nor his girlfriend had a job at the time of the inheritance.

Put half down on new vehicles. A GMC Sierra and a Chevy Tahoe. ~45,000

Put a down payment on a 350,000 house. 250,000

Fully furnished the house including an 80 inch television.

Spend the rest on who knows what. All in all they spent 350,000 in the course of 6 months.

They lost it all within a year because neither of them could keep a job.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
God drat. What did the person you know do with their share?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ethical_rage posted:

Former employee of mine's brother received a fairly large sum of cash (roughly 350,000) as an inheritance after their father passed away.

Spend the rest on who knows what. All in all they spent 350,000 in the course of 6 months.

4% of that is $14,000. They could have drawn $14,000 of that annually almost forever, certainly as long as it would take for at least one of them to get a job to just supplement that. Christ.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

God drat. What did the person you know do with their share?

She was intelligent with her money (at least in comparison to her brother). She bought a modest house outright in the 200,000 range and banked the rest. Not sure if that lasted as I no longer have contact with her but she seemed set on saving for the future.

Hyped fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 5, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's a sadly common theme that people who have bad/no financial literacy piss away any sort of windfall in short order. See also: many athletes, pop stars, lottery winners, etc.

A 350k inheritance managed intelligently would be a life-changing amount of money for most people. It's obviously not "gently caress you I'm rich" money, but that's a hell of a nest egg to piss away.

Granted, 200k on 350k house isn't necessarily a bad move, but it is when you're unemployed and can't pay the 150k mortgage because you bought two brand new SUVs and a bunch of other consumer garbage.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Get that amount of money in your 20s or 30s and forget about retirement savings forever, just for instance.

(Obviously not the BEST use of it if you're getting employer matching on your 401k or some other incentives, but goddamn TWO CHEVYS?)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

4% of that is $14,000. They could have drawn $14,000 of that annually almost forever, certainly as long as it would take for at least one of them to get a job to just supplement that. Christ.

Or they could have bought the $350k house and saved paying rent.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ethical_rage posted:

How did unemployed people get a mortgage and car loans, that doesn't make sense

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Predatory lending.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Did you miss the part where they put down half or more down payment for both of those?

Anyway that's sad but totally normal for when dumb people gett a windfall.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

That's why I enjoy lottery stories so much, well, except for the ones where they lose the money and kill themselves.

quote:

William “Bud” Post, a 1988 lottery winner, died broke in 2006. What happened to his $16.2 million Pennsylvania lottery winnings? He spent it on houses, cars, boats, an unsuccessful family company and a twin-engine airplane (even though he didn’t have a pilot’s license). Within a year, he was $1 million in debt. His former girlfriend successfully sued him for part of winnings, his brother tried to hire a hit man to kill him.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/11/28/winning-the-lottery-isnt-always-a-happy-ending/

Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

Did you miss the part where they put down half or more down payment for both of those?

Putting down half on a loan or mortgage does not absolve you of the underwriting requirements to prove that you can pay the other half. Have you ever applied for a mortgage? It's a lot more complicated than writing a downpayment check and telling the bank you're good for the rest. Unless this happened in 2007.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I stumbled across this clever way of paying off credit card debt.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4532291_pay-off-credit-debts-lottery.html

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Tips & Warnings

Don't count on lottery or or other gambling winnings as part of your long-term financial plan.
You don't say.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Devian666 posted:

gently caress that's what I've been doing wrong this whole time. Not only does it seem like a sure bet (get it???), I don't think that's a way to wind up in more debt, either. It doesn't even seem like an almost certain way to wind up with a gambling addiction.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Putting down half on a loan or mortgage does not absolve you of the underwriting requirements to prove that you can pay the other half. Have you ever applied for a mortgage? It's a lot more complicated than writing a downpayment check and telling the bank you're good for the rest. Unless this happened in 2007.

I'm pretty sure any bank will give you the okay on a 350k mortgage if you throw down 250k cash. So yes, it is that simple.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004

I don't know the details that in depth. Their father ran a successful fabrication/welding shop so it may have been a "family favor" from someone their father banked with. This was in 2009.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Devian666 posted:

Or they could have bought the $350k house and saved paying rent.

The really great thing about home ownership is the continual maintenance, utilities, and property taxes that have to be paid even on a paid-off house and that are proportional to the cost of the house, and would be impossible to pay without a job or savings.

Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

I'm pretty sure any bank will give you the okay on a 350k mortgage if you throw down 250k cash. So yes, it is that simple.

You are wrong about that

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

By Kay Daniels, eHow Contributor

Kay Daniels is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience writing and editing online. She has a bachelor's degree in psychology from Excelsior College, a certificate in copy editing from University of California, San Diego Extension, and is in her second year of medical school.

Excelsior College is an online school. Certificate in copy editing. Medical school. :smithicide:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

pig slut lisa posted:

By Kay Daniels, eHow Contributor

Kay Daniels is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience writing and editing online. She has a bachelor's degree in psychology from Excelsior College, a certificate in copy editing from University of California, San Diego Extension, and is in her second year of medical school.

Excelsior College is an online school. Certificate in copy editing. Medical school. :smithicide:

There's literally an entire thread in this very subforum discussing how unqualified people make money writing garbage content.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

PCjr sidecar posted:

The really great thing about home ownership is the continual maintenance, utilities, and property taxes that have to be paid even on a paid-off house and that are proportional to the cost of the house, and would be impossible to pay without a job or savings.

Well maybe they should have bought their lovely vehicles outright and spent the rest on moonshine.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Zo posted:

I can't see any lender floating you a 100k loan, regardless of the equity involved in the item or property that the loan is for, without checking your current employment and credit rating unless it's totally dodgy or, like CAPE wrote, it's 2007.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

I can't see any lender floating you a 100k loan, regardless of the equity involved in the item or property that the loan is for, without checking your current employment and credit rating unless it's totally dodgy or, like CAPE wrote, it's 2007.

I agree. This is a situation where truck equity would not provide the cash flow needed.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

When the LVR is like 35% they won't care because either you pay them, or they take the house and sell it and take the money that way, unless the house's value massively tanks there's no way in which they don't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

MJBuddy posted:

There's literally an entire thread in this very subforum discussing how unqualified people make money writing garbage content.

I'm morbidly curious about this.

EDIT: Wait, I figured out which one it is (the legitimate online moneymaking thread)

• Locked thread