Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Prince John posted:

It should be easy to see why a government with a weakly recovering economy might be concerned about businesses being hit with massive retrospective payments that they haven't budgeted for.

This isn't a case of individual businesses screwing employees, the law has just been interpreted (country-wide) in one way before, that is now (subject to two sets of appeal) revealed to be possibly incorrect.

Everyone loves holidays, but you can't expect a government to celebrate such a financial hit to so many businesses (arguably) through no fault of their own.

The abuse of overtime and the lowballing of contract hours is their fault though. Hard to feel sympathy over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Nobody's asked this in a while, and I am in need. Who's cheap and not poo poo at giving me internets? Also, who's cheap but not a complete bastard when it comes to electricity/gas?

I'm with Virgin for internet, as they do internet only without the line rental (£27 for 50mb, no cap connection, which is a bit much for just me, but the upgrade from 30mb was free)- only thing is the 'SuperHub' is poo poo as a router, but works well as a modem with my own router daisy-chaining off it

Energy- if you're a low user (under about £2500 a year on gas and electricity), Ebico are the only (I think) supplier that don't have a standing charge.
I changed from eOn to British Gas a couple of years ago and saw my bill almost double due to the monthly standing charge- since switching to Ebico, it's down to about 80% of what I was paying with eOn.

(edit)
they also charge the same, no matter how you pay - everyone else charges more for pre-pay meters

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

kapparomeo posted:

State pensions are a separate category on that pie chart, though.

Me dumb. Editing.

e: As ukle points out below, though, the presentation is still very eyeroll-worthy.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 4, 2014

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

kapparomeo posted:

There are 2 parts that make up a lot of peoples state pension. One part comes from the Welfare budget.

It is just massive party politics the way they have constructed that chart, as it doesn't break down the fact that one of the biggest (or biggest haven't got time to check exactly) chunks of Welfare spending is on Working Tax Credits i.e. helping businesses pay a none living wage.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

kapparomeo posted:

State pensions are, but a lot of Public Sector pensions are still stuffed into the Welfare section to make it appear larger.

It's a political number fiddling exercise, but then of course it is.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Christ thats horrible, the rabble rousing bastards. Its so simplistic and pejorative ... it gets my gander up gosh darn it!

"Ugg, look fukin more spent on fukin gypsys and forens than schools, fukin country" ect

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
What a terrible day to be working in an hmrc call center.

Just joking, every day is crap working in an hmrc call center.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I want to see the breakdown of "welfare", specifically how much goes on housing benefit paid to private landlords who decide how much to charge their tenants and hence how much they get to claim if their tenants are unemployed.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/04/eric-pickles-tower-hamlets-london-borough

quote:

The communities secretary, Eric Pickles, has taken over the administration of Tower Hamlets council in east London for two years after an inquiry commissioned by his department found wholesale mismanagement, questionable grant-giving and a failure to secure best value for local taxpayers.

Pickles plans to dispatch three commissioners to administrate grant-giving, property transactions and the administration of future elections in the borough.

The commissioners, who will be answerable to Pickles, will be in place until March 2017 and are tasked with drawing up an action plan to improve governance in the council, including the permanent appointment of three senior council officers including a chief executive.

Pickles said his direct intervention was against everything he believed in, but he said the report, conducted by the accountancy firm PwC, showed the directly elected mayor, Lutfur Rahman, had sown division and should bow his head in shame at the report’s findings. Executive power had been left unchecked and misused, he added.

Pickles’ actions represent his biggest intervention in local government since he took over Doncaster council in 2010, but he insisted “there can be no place for rotten boroughs in the 21st century”. His actions were largely supported by Labour.

Pickles said the report painted “a deeply concerning picture of obfuscation, denial, secrecy the breakdown of democratic scrutiny and a culture of cronyism risking the corrupt spending of public funds”.

He proposed that all Tower Hamlets grant-making, property disposals and publicity functions be sanctioned by the commissioners. In an attempt to reduce the threat of electoral fraud in the 2015 general elections, Pickles also announced that the appointment of electoral registration officer and returning officer are to be exercised by the commissioners.

He added that he wanted the council’s written agreement within 24 hours that they would not appoint an officer or make any grants pending the start of his intervention package.

“The abuse of taxpayers’ money reflects a partisan approach to politics that seeks to spread favours and sow divisions”, Pickles said. “Such behaviour is to the detriment of integration and community cohesion in Tower Hamlets and in our capital city. This is a borough where there has been widespread allegations of extremism, homophobia and antisemitism has been allowed to fester without proper challenge.”

He said grants had been distributed without rationale, any clear objectives, monitoring, transparency and with officer recommendations systematically overruled. He pointed out that across mainstream grants by the council, 81% of officer recommendations were rejected, and more than £400,000 was handed out to bodies that failed the minimum criteria to be awarded anything at all. He added that Poplar town hall had been sold against official advice to an individual who had helped the mayor in his electoral bid.

Pickles said he would wait for two weeks before appointing the commissioners in order to give the council time to respond to his intervention package and the PwC report.

Responding to the PwC report, Rahman the former Labour politician who now runs Tower Hamlets as an independent said: “In April 2014, Eric Pickles announced that he was concerned about potential fraud. These allegations have been rejected by PwC. The report highlights flaws in processes. These are regrettable. We will learn from this report and strengthen our procedures accordingly. I was always confident wild claims about fraud would not be substantiated. Both my officers and I want to get on with our jobs serving all residents in Tower Hamlets.”

A council spokesperson said: “While the PwC report identifies some process and governance issues that needed to be improved, the council notes that no evidence of criminality or fraud has been identified by the government appointed forensic auditors.

“In our view there is no evidence that these flaws of process are ‘regular or endemic’ meaning that there is no failure to comply with our best value duty.”

Council sources said they would comply with the order to give an immediate undertaking not appoint new officers pending the possible appointment of commissioners. Council officers also suggested that a judicial review into the actions of Eric Pickles including the commissioning of the PwC report, and the associated costs, is likely to go ahead on 14 November.

They also insisted the bar is set high for Pickles to prove the council has been so badly run that it needs in effect for a new level of independent scrutiny to be introduced. Contrary to newspaper allegations, the report had found no evidence of corruption or fraud, the council insisted, adding that it was acknowledged that public services were well run in the borough.
There have been stories in Private Eye every fortnight for years about, umm, interesting financial goings-on at Tower Hamlets. There's also a currently-open complaint about widespread electoral fraud in the last set of mayoral elections. Nice to see something being done.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
MPs are currently debating the Nordic model, alongside gangmasters legislation. From what the current Shadow Home Office Minister is saying, Labour are going to whip for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hookerbot 5000 posted:

If businesses had used overtime the way that it arguably should be used - as a top up when work is unseasonably busy or to cover illness for example - then the retrospective bill wouldn't be that much. It's the businesses that employ and pay people holiday pay on 20 hour contracts when their average working week is closer to 40 that will be hit with big bills and it wouldn't have happened in the first place if they used contracts that accurately reflected the amount of work the employee would be doing.

Now, what we need is the legal case that the ruling should be applied to zero hour contracts. :getin:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

TinTower posted:

MPs are currently debating the Nordic model, alongside gangmasters legislation. From what the current Shadow Home Office Minister is saying, Labour are going to whip for it.

I've seen you talking about this a little bit over the past few weeks and I think I'm right in saying you're against whatever is being proposed, but I don't really know enough about it. Would you be able to post a very basic paragraph explaining what is going on?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jedit posted:

Now, what we need is the legal case that the ruling should be applied to zero hour contracts. :getin:

I think people on zero hour contracts get their holiday pay that way already

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/holiday-pay-the-basics

quote:

No fixed hours (ie casual work)

A week’s holiday pay is the average pay a worker got over the previous 12 weeks (in which they were paid)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

thehustler posted:

I've seen you talking about this a little bit over the past few weeks and I think I'm right in saying you're against whatever is being proposed, but I don't really know enough about it. Would you be able to post a very basic paragraph explaining what is going on?

The Nordic model is criminalising the purchase of sexual services. Sweden instituted such a law in 1999, and other Nordic countries very quickly followed suit. The claim is that it'll protect women from violent clients and police harassment, and politicians who support the Nordic model also table motions to decrminalise loitering and solicitation for the purposes of prostitution.

That said, it doesn't work at all. All it does is export violence against sex workers overseas and the coppers are still, well, bastards to sex workers.

It's also very concerning that one of the biggest proponents of the model in the UK and Ireland, a charity called Ruhama, is formed of two religious orders that the Irish government are chasing up to compensate survivors of the Magdalene asylums.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
When there is talk of how things that might benefit workers are a threat to the economy remember that to keep bankers and banks OK they did everything they absolutely could in spite of the tremendous damage they had done to the economy. Which parts of the economy get support due to government errors or failings of that sector is an immensely politicised issue.

The government is not "only being reasonable" in choosing to limit how much workers can benefit from this judgement as heavily as possible, they are making a deliberate choice to value workers in the financial sector far more highly than workers in other sectors.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TinTower posted:

That said, it doesn't work at all. All it does is export violence against sex workers overseas and the coppers are still, well, bastards to sex workers.

I believe you, and I know you are very well informed about such issues, but I am admittedly having some trouble understanding how violence gets exported. Surely your average john doesn't have close to the resources or motivation to sod off to another country?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The government is not "only being reasonable" in choosing to limit how much workers can benefit from this judgement as heavily as possible, they are making a deliberate choice to value workers in the financial sector far more highly than workers in other sectors.
The situations aren't really comparable, though. The bank bailout was about saving the banks themselves and the wider financial system, not the people who work in the banks per se.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Shelf Adventure posted:

What a terrible day to be working in an hmrc call center.

Just joking, every day is crap working in an hmrc call center.

The experience of dealing with workers in HMRC call centers isn't exactly one of unbounded joy either.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I have to say I've always been relatively impressed by HMRC's helpline, and they've always been able to explain stuff to my satisfaction in the course of a single call.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I believe you, and I know you are very well informed about such issues, but I am admittedly having some trouble understanding how violence gets exported. Surely your average john doesn't have close to the resources or motivation to sod off to another country?

Sex tourism is a massive thing. Look at the amount of brothels just on the border of Nevada and other states.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

TinTower posted:

Sex tourism is a massive thing. Look at the amount of brothels just on the border of Nevada and other states.

Likewise Amsterdam, and a lot of the 'stag nights' end up in Eastern Europe for the same reason.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Obliterati posted:

Likewise Amsterdam, and a lot of the 'stag nights' end up in Eastern Europe for the same reason.

Well I guess the price of beer/vodka is also a big factor

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Gerry Adams supports Maria Cahill coming forwards but the whole thing is being used as a smear campaign against him by the the Irish government.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/gerry-adams-alleges-coalition-smear-campaign-over-cahill-1.1987688

Fun fact: you can tell Gerry Adams is lying by the fact his mouth is open.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Jack the Lad posted:

I have to say I've always been relatively impressed by HMRC's helpline, and they've always been able to explain stuff to my satisfaction in the course of a single call.

Yeah as long as they aren't striking I've had only good service. I do wish I could update my details online and not have to wait 30min to get to a human and then wait 3 days while a paper check clears.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TinTower posted:

The Nordic model is criminalising the purchase of sexual services. Sweden instituted such a law in 1999, and other Nordic countries very quickly followed suit. The claim is that it'll protect women from violent clients and police harassment, and politicians who support the Nordic model also table motions to decrminalise loitering and solicitation for the purposes of prostitution.

It's also very concerning that one of the biggest proponents of the model in the UK and Ireland, a charity called Ruhama, is formed of two religious orders that the Irish government are chasing up to compensate survivors of the Magdalene asylums.

There is basically no data on this. I've checked extensively. There is no data to support what you're saying. The one known fact of this matter is that the law depresses somewhat the demand of prostitution compared to an unregulated market. The debate on this law is so full of bullshit that it's hard to tell anything.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Well, if there's no data then the next best thing would be to go ask the sex workers what it is they want done.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

The one known fact of this matter is that the law depresses somewhat the demand of prostitution compared to an unregulated market.
Does it decrease violence against sex workers compared to a well regulated market though? Decreasing demand is only a selling point if you believe that all sex work is inherently bad, whereas decreasing violence against sex workers (including trafficking and forced work as violence) is something I'd hope everyone believes is a good thing.

Well, everyone except Richard Littlejohn.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

There is basically no data on this. I've checked extensively. There is no data to support what you're saying. The one known fact of this matter is that the law depresses somewhat the demand of prostitution compared to an unregulated market. The debate on this law is so full of bullshit that it's hard to tell anything.

Even that's not really true; the Swedish government has said that "we cannot give any unambiguous answer to [the question of whether prostitution has increased or decreased]. At most, we can discern that street prostitution is slowly returning, after swiftly disappearing in the wake of the law."

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Presumably the law mainly puts off the less dangerous men in any case. Chalk up another victory for policy based on wishful thinking.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Likewise. Called once, got someone who was actively helpful and knowledgeable, telling me what I called for wasn't what I wanted and pointing me in the right direction. Plus in the letter she sent me with what I needed she mentioned I'd overpaid on tax and included a cheque with a rebate. 10/10 would call again.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Guavanaut posted:

Does it decrease violence against sex workers compared to a well regulated market though? Decreasing demand is only a selling point if you believe that all sex work is inherently bad, whereas decreasing violence against sex workers (including trafficking and forced work as violence) is something I'd hope everyone believes is a good thing.

Well, everyone except Richard Littlejohn.

Not enough data. The recent Norwegian report on the issue demonstrates a drop in the amount of violence, but that might just be because of the lowered demand. There are also issues with data collection and, probably, sex workers not trusting the police. There're also a host of issues with the relatively international nature of the sex market, cultural taboos et cetera.

TinTower posted:

Even that's not really true; the Swedish government has said that "we cannot give any unambiguous answer to [the question of whether prostitution has increased or decreased]. At most, we can discern that street prostitution is slowly returning, after swiftly disappearing in the wake of the law."

The Norwegian government commissioned a report on this, and that was their only finding without conditionals coming out of its arse. I actually sat down with the numbers and ran them myself. That conclusion, barring absolutely massive bias in the numbers, holds.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TinTower posted:

Granted, but I was thinking of those as either rare (for a given john) going on a stag do or what have you - or due to people who live in New Mexico and such. If you live ten minutes from the border then yes, totally, but if you are cruising around at night looking to get your rocks off, you're not going to drive from Seattle to Nevada or fly from Brum to Amsterdam, surely? I was drawing a distinction between regular sex tourism and violence against sex workers though, but I am just not well enough informed (or currently in good enough health) to really know whether that is valid.

Even if such laws do externalize that sort of behavior, is there any law that would solve the problem of violence against sex workers? The problems arising from different jurisdictions having different laws will always exist, and if someone is so determined to be a shitlord that they will go to another country or state for it I imagine they will still find ways even in a system of global legalization.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/04/eric-pickles-tower-hamlets-london-borough

There have been stories in Private Eye every fortnight for years about, umm, interesting financial goings-on at Tower Hamlets. There's also a currently-open complaint about widespread electoral fraud in the last set of mayoral elections. Nice to see something being done.

The more cynical would suggest it's to do with the court case/judicial review of BOZZER LEGERND calling in the Riverside South and City Pride developments after even the notoriously pliant LBTH planning committee refused them as being outrageously out of scale for the area, having zero community provision, and proposing to build the affordable housing portion in, erm, Dagenham.

LBTH has been up to all sorts of dodgy poo poo for years now but a lot of people find the timing pretty loving coincidental.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
As someone who used to work on the phones a few years back - cheers guys. :cheers:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Granted, but I was thinking of those as either rare (for a given john) going on a stag do or what have you - or due to people who live in New Mexico and such. If you live ten minutes from the border then yes, totally, but if you are cruising around at night looking to get your rocks off, you're not going to drive from Seattle to Nevada or fly from Brum to Amsterdam, surely? I was drawing a distinction between regular sex tourism and violence against sex workers though, but I am just not well enough informed (or currently in good enough health) to really know whether that is valid.

Even if such laws do externalize that sort of behavior, is there any law that would solve the problem of violence against sex workers? The problems arising from different jurisdictions having different laws will always exist, and if someone is so determined to be a shitlord that they will go to another country or state for it I imagine they will still find ways even in a system of global legalization.

In New Zealand, decrminalisation has actually helped sex workers get access to standard labour rights, and without quasi-legalities, there isn't any scope for the police to harass them.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The Nordic model was just rejected.

For a very detailed breakdown of why the Nordic model is full of poo poo, read the briefing here. The URL looks a bit dodgy but is in fact a legitimate site!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TinTower posted:

In New Zealand, decrminalisation has actually helped sex workers get access to standard labour rights, and without quasi-legalities, there isn't any scope for the police to harass them.

On the whole I'm all for legalisation, but there's one part of it that niggles me. If sex work becomes a legitimate job, and we live in a society in which the labour supply outweighs requirements, do you eventually hit a point where women (or men, really) can be legally coerced into prostitution? I can't help but imagine the DWP official sanctioning someone, saying 'well, you didn't turn up at the interview we arranged for you at [X brothel].'

I guess it would fall under the same remit as stripping/escorting, so the trade would probably be legally barred from advertising via Jobcentres etc. Still, I do feel there's a danger to normalising work like this. You don't want to force people to choose between selling themselves and being a 'scrounger' on any level. No matter how flawed that thinking is, it isn't much of a jump to make from the current accepted narrative.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
It's a bit of a slippery slope analogy, there'll still be massive stigma against sex-work that - while not literally stopping IDS and the likes from forcing the work on someone on pains of sanction - will make anyone who even entertains the idea a massive detriment to their party's image, and the party wouldn't let them do it. And that's ignoring the rape-by-coercion laws in place (because I don't know them).

Spooky Hyena fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 4, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The more cynical would suggest it's to do with the court case/judicial review of BOZZER LEGERND calling in the Riverside South and City Pride developments after even the notoriously pliant LBTH planning committee refused them as being outrageously out of scale for the area, having zero community provision, and proposing to build the affordable housing portion in, erm, Dagenham.

LBTH has been up to all sorts of dodgy poo poo for years now but a lot of people find the timing pretty loving coincidental.
That's interesting. Everything about housing in this country is unrelentingly depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Spooky Hyena posted:

rape-by-coercion laws in place

That's a very good point and not something I had considered.

• Locked thread