Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

Stick arrived earlier this week, about 1.5" shorter than my older Mako M5. Played with it for the first time tonight at pickup and potted 2.5 goals. I love it, just need to get used to the marginally shorter reach. I missed a few passes just past the end of my stick.

Thanks everyone for the INT stick advice!

Aaaaaaaaaaand this stick broke tonight, right at the thinnest part of the taper, on an easy outlet pass. Not sure if I'm just too hard on my stick to use an INT 65 flex or what, but I'm disappointed it lasted less than 90 days. Irritating, because I really liked it. My backup stick felt like it was made of lead, but I don't know if I can keep throwing away $100 on sticks every two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I kind of hate my int stick experience. I mean it only cost me 40 but I switched back to my old eq50 and have been really really productive lately.

I also think I am flexing the int stick way too much unintentionally when passing which is about the only thing notable about my game anymore.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 3, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stick flex makes for sweet photos, so there's that to take into account.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don't notice that with my mirrored visor blinging everywhere :smugdog:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
First game back after straining my back. 2-7 loss. Words heard: "Yeah, you had 22 shots against in the second period alone, and only let in one. Your problem is you're playing for the Sabers."

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

According to my teammate, the gear isn't bad for a first set of gear but he suggested getting beefier shinguards as he got a nice bruise through the ones included in the package. He suggested going ala carte at the pro-shop so you still get the discount.

Awesome, thanks for asking. Had my first lesson last night. My feet hurt, but it was fun as hell. I plan on trying to take some lunch breaks during the week and hit up the public skate times to get that practice time in.

Edit - Managed to make it to a public skate during my lunch today. I lasted 20 mins before I fell. Unfortunately, I managed to fall backwards, (yay for wearing a helmet, cause that poo poo smacked hard). Now my rear end and my head are both thorbbing. Still had a drat blast though, and plan on going back on Wednesday.

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Made it back out to pickup after being lazy for the last couple months. It was a good skate, but I need to stop taking time off, and I need to drop some weight. My girl came out and took my camera and got some cool shots though.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
So I have one flat foot and one slightly arched foot, and lots of people have recommended superfeet for foot pain, but I'm not sure how that'd work out given my situation. After 15mins or so of straight skating my arches cramp up like crazy, especially when skating backwards.

Anyone with hosed up feet like mine that can offer advice?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don't lace your skates as tightly

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This thread really tickled me for some reason. Probably because I pictured a bunch of D-league guys REALLY putting some though into their answers....

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Andrew Alberts
Scott Hannan
Andrei Markov without the hockey smarts or experience

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Post-concussion Chris Pronger

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any names I posted would get me added to a list and someday a couple guys would come to my door and beat the poo poo out of me for posting slanderous poo poo on the internet.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

My team manager last year said I played like Gordie Howe.

But then added, "A fat, old Gordie Howe!"

I laughed, since it was true. And there wasn't any sad recent Gordie Howe news like now :(

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Theo Fleury, without the drugs.

Maybe I should take drugs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Getting the game-winner on a shorty owns.

:feelsgood:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I play like John Scott with Daniel Sedins aggressiveness

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
The worst players, I play like them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Did you all get added to the Sunday drop in email? It filled super quick this week after the Staples skate

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Deadly Intersection posted:

So I have one flat foot and one slightly arched foot, and lots of people have recommended superfeet for foot pain, but I'm not sure how that'd work out given my situation. After 15mins or so of straight skating my arches cramp up like crazy, especially when skating backwards.

Anyone with hosed up feet like mine that can offer advice?

I don't think anybody has 2 perfectly similar feet, I'm sure the insoles will work fine for you. Check your lacing like sellouts says, but if you're fairly new you may also just need your feet to get stronger. When I came back from breaking my ankle, 15 minutes of backwards skating would've cramped my poo poo up, too.

Nitramster posted:

Me too. Sometimes I see a mistake that looks familiar, but otherwise there's no comparison.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
U of M Gophers hockey is having their best season they've had as a team in several years.. I'm impressed. I don't know if anyone here is a Gophers hockey fan. That is something that's bigger than yourself, amirite?

e: to add to current conversation, I play like Pavel Datsyuk. He is my hockey idol.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I play like Wayne Gretzky and Hayley Wickenheiser had a baby except instead of letting it grow up you just stuck some whisky in its bottle and pushed it out onto the ice in its stroller.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got a guy who played with us like a year and a half ago. It's our goalie's son. He joined the Army and was off at bootcamp then got deployed to Korea for the past year or so. He's back on a 2-week leave, so we're adding him to the roster for the next 2 weeks. Going to be awesome.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Did you all get added to the Sunday drop in email? It filled super quick this week after the Staples skate

I did not, but I never gave my email to anyone, ace told me about it, but that's all I know.

Edit: also pv ice chalet has some decent stick times this month if you're ever free Tuesday or Saturday 545pm I'm usually available and would love someone to drill with.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 4, 2014

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

I play like Wayne Gretzky and Hayley Wickenheiser had a baby except instead of letting it grow up you just stuck some whisky in its bottle and pushed it out onto the ice in its stroller.

Pretty sure this is me when I skate out except replace The Great One and Winkenheiser with John Scott and Julie Zwarthoed.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I play like a mix of Eric Lindros and a bathtub.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

If this weekend was anything to go by I play like that Marc Andre Fleury shooter tutor you can get on the NHL shop.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I play like a slow out of shape version of Alex Semin

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Nitramster posted:

me too, man.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

One thing I've been doing about ten minutes each skate is backwards one foot glides, both inside and outside edges, working towards doing 180 degree arcs. It feels loving weird because it's something you will never normally do, but it's had a big impact on how comfortable I feel doing backwards crossovers.

Seconding this, and even just gliding backwards straight. When I started looking at improving my backward skating a few years back, I realized pretty quickly that the primary issue was that I had little balance on one skate going backwards - which is a critical component of crossovers, since you have to stay on one leg while bringing the other around - while my forward crossovers (and skating in general) was mostly just fine, and seemed largely to feel comfortable because of better balance. So I started off just getting going backwards and then lifting one leg to glide on the other. At first I'd make it only few feet, which just reinforced my view that that was the problem. If I couldn't stay on one foot gliding backward slowly, no wonder I couldn't perform more difficult maneuvers. Over a few weeks my glides got longer and longer, and suddenly I found that backward crossovers were starting to come naturally during games.

So, yeah, my advice: work on single leg balance going backwards. Worked magic for me - my backward skating is now one of the strongest aspects of my game (and as a D, that's important) and tends to separate me from the pack more so than any other.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There was a fight in our game last night with a couple minutes left in the third. One of their dudes boarded our 60-year old D-man from behind. He gets up and takes a swing. They end up throwing a few punches then falling to the ground. Their guy is on top of ours, and is just whaling on our guy's face over and over and over and over and over. The refs are just standing there watching this old dude get his face punched in (he had a cage [concussion joke here], so he felt fine afterward).

Our goalie steps in just to pull their guy off and the refs push him away. No one else is going near them since it's an instant suspension for third man in. Everyone was dumbfounded that they just let this guy keep whaling on our old dude while he just unsuccessfully tried to turtle and not take 30 (not an exaggeration) consecutive punches to the cage. It was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. It didn't help that we had 2 of the worst refs doing the game.

I get the whole refs don't get paid enough to put up with this bullshit and the safety thing, but come on, someone has to be able to step in pull someone off after they hit the ground.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 4, 2014

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

As someone who is just now starting stick time and getting into rec hockey, I don't understand some of this fighting stuff. I don't play real games yet so maybe I don't know what it's like, but seeing as how this is rec level and should be for fun I don't see how any of that is justifiable. Where does it cross the line to being considered straight up assault? This isn't the NHL; I pay a significant amount to take part in this hobby and certainly wouldn't want to face a suspension for some asshat trying to fight me or for sticking up for a teammate but if some fucker tried to hurt me outside the scope of the game then I'm really not sure how I would handle it at this point.

Not sure if this applies to Zetterberg's case because I'm referring to no-check leagues (unless he shouldn't have been hit/boarded in the first place), but nonetheless I just don't understand it. I wouldn't want to fight anybody but if somebody came swinging at me then I don't know what recourse I would even have.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There was a fight in our game last night with a couple minutes left in the third. One of their dudes boarded our 60-year old D-man from behind. He gets up and takes a swing. They end up throwing a few punches then falling to the ground. Their guy is on top of ours, and is just whaling on our guy's face over and over and over and over and over. The refs are just standing there watching this old dude get his face punched in (he had a cage [concussion joke here], so he felt fine afterward).

Our goalie steps in just to pull their guy off and the refs push him away. No one else is going near them since it's an instant suspension for third man in. Everyone was dumbfounded that they just let this guy keep whaling on our old dude while he just unsuccessfully tried to turtle and not take 30 (not an exaggeration) consecutive punches to the cage. It was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. It didn't help that we had 2 of the worst refs doing the game.

I get the whole refs don't get paid enough to put up with this bullshit and the safety thing, but come on, someone has to be able to step in pull someone off after they hit the ground.

Wow, must take a big man to ground-and-pound a 60 year old who isn't fighting back. I hope that guy feels good about himself. For gently caress's sake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think you appreciate how serious the activity of putting vulcanized rubber in a fishing net actually is. There are serious repercussions for not giving it sufficient respect.

Old man should have known that when he put on the skates, that's an implicit contract mandating you get your rear end beat for any perceived slight.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

inSTAALed posted:

I play like a slow out of shape version of Alex Semin

So...Alex Semin?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Wow, must take a big man to ground-and-pound a 60 year old who isn't fighting back. I hope that guy feels good about himself. For gently caress's sake.

What's even better, is that this old guy took a slapper in the side of the knee during warmups. Then during the game he took a puck off his cage when someone cleared it into our bench. Tough night for him.

He doesn't normally drink, but he had a well-deserved Redd's Apple Cider after the game.

Best part of it is the guy that whaled on him, they both play on the same Friday night team. Unreal.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Best part of it is the guy that whaled on him, they both play on the same Friday night team. Unreal.

That'll be an interesting locker room this week.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I saw an official get kicked in the neck trying to break up a fight after a high school game I played in. It was really, really bad. I don't blame anyone for not stepping in the middle of that.

I would go to the league though and ask them what the options are. Officials holding back someone from breaking up a fight seems like a bit of a risk. Suspend the 3rd man in if they have to but what happens if the guy punching continues after the other guy is out cold or otherwise injured? It's a pretty clear judgment call when 3rd man in applies when you don't have linesmen/officials jumping into frays that have hit the ice or are otherwise involving a turtled/unwilling party.

EDIT: Also I think I am of the belief that giving the 3rd man in penalty to the guy who breaks up the fight might not be a bad thing. Hopefully the dude who fought is embarrassed enough that his buddy who had to save his rear end can't play that he thinks about not fighting again. Cheap poo poo happens, fighting accomplishes nothing, grow up, it's beer league, be an adult, etc etc etc etc

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 5, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Open hockey with no goalies and a few hotshot kids playing keep away / breakaway practice...not so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You played crossbar or post, yeah?

Idunno, I always have fun when there's a hot-poo poo Dangles McGee playing. Unless he's on my team. Then gently caress him, I just make sure never to pass to him.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 5, 2014