Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Riddick was such a disappointment, the first 45 minutes or so with just Riddick himself doing survivalist poo poo was actually really cool but then it quickly turned into crappy retread of Pitch Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thunderlips posted:

NY Times Magazine did a thing on him this weekend, with some relevant quotes about sound:

I honestly can't blame him. The poor treatment of the sound in theaters is a large part of why I've stopped going out to the cinema ("More bass is good right? Let's push that to ten and turn down these... it's not like anyone actually needs to understand the dialog, they just want their eardrums blasted out when the action starts.").

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's one of the reasons I don't see horror movies in the theater (the other is that most of them are terrible). Jumpscares don't make you jump because something popped up out of nowhere, but because you just got blasted with a violin note at 110 dB.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

3 almost killed the series since it was the one that nobody wanted to come back to. They only got Vin Diesel because the studio traded his cameo for the rights to the Riddick universe.

I recall reading an article where Justin Lin claimed that another reason they got Diesel back in was a long conversation the two of them had where Lin laid out his vision for the series as a sort of D&D campaign setting in which this car-based adventuring party would go have epic quests.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jonny Angel posted:

I recall reading an article where Justin Lin claimed that another reason they got Diesel back in was a long conversation the two of them had where Lin laid out his vision for the series as a sort of D&D campaign setting in which this car-based adventuring party would go have epic quests.

God you could sell any movie to Vin Diesel if you some how made it into a P&P RPG setting, couldn't you?

Someone is going to do a reboot of the Ocean's franchise and get Diesel to sign on by telling him it will be like a Shadowrun campaign.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jonny Angel posted:

If someone makes a Kickstarter for a Fast and Furious-based RPG system, I will donate every single dollar I own.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ninjahedgehog posted:

If someone makes a Kickstarter for a Fast and Furious-based RPG system, I will donate every single dollar I own.

The party is called the "family".

To pull off stunts you use "Nos" dice instead of stunt dice.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

mr.capps posted:

I've never played tabletop P&P RPGs in my life but I'm suddenly desperate to crack this.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's weird how bad the fourth Fast movie is (Fast & Furious) sandwiched between all of Lin's other takes on the series. Tokyo Drift, and 5&6 are just a lot more fun tonally and have pretty good cinematography, while 4, despite bringing some of the cast back, is very dull and dour with a lot of REALLY bad CGI.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's weird how bad the fourth Fast movie is (Fast & Furious) sandwiched between all of Lin's other takes on the series. Tokyo Drift, and 5&6 are just a lot more fun tonally and have pretty good cinematography, while 4, despite bringing some of the cast back, is very dull and dour with a lot of REALLY bad CGI.

Fast 5 and 6, had a hell of alot more budget allocated to it than 3 and 4 did,

3's story was pretty self contained and had minimal crazy rear end stunt work. 4 was really his first attempt at the series current style. So there were probably just some learning and growing pains that had to happen. In terms of what should be CG and what should be practical etc etc.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

God you could sell any movie to Vin Diesel if you some how made it into a P&P RPG setting, couldn't you?

Someone is going to do a reboot of the Ocean's franchise and get Diesel to sign on by telling him it will be like a Shadowrun campaign.

The Riddick franchise makes a lot more sense when you realize Diesel spent years roleplaying a Drow witch hunter who was "a bit of a loner" and whose name he has as a tattoo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

The Riddick franchise makes a lot more sense when you realize Diesel spent years roleplaying a Drow witch hunter who was "a bit of a loner" and whose name he has as a tattoo.

And of course his upcoming movie is The Last Witch Hunter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

The third Riddick movie is almost but not quite a good film length Poochie joke.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, it's one series you know is going to deliver the goods.

It's the rare "movie" Franchise that's held up considerably well. Yes, there's the Avengers movies, and Harry Potter series etc- but this is strictly an "original" property that isn't based off of anything. Where else could it be said that "part 5 or 6" is the best one?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

mr.capps posted:

Instead of character class, you pick vehicle class. O'Connor and Toretto both originally rolled Import, but Toretto multiclassed into Muscle at the end of F&F1. Meanwhile, Gisele has been straight Motorcycle and the Rock picked Military.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jonny Angel posted:

Just on account of his voice and nerdhood, Diesel is my choice for a live action Witcher movie.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

F&F spends too much time getting the old cast together again. Then its big action setpiece is a drive through a tight, dark, narrow corridor. It doesn't fit the strengths of the series at all, and it's about as cinematic as a colonoscopy, and also it looks like a colonoscopy

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Max22 posted:

F&F spends too much time getting the old cast together again. Then its big action setpiece is a drive through a tight, dark, narrow corridor. It doesn't fit the strengths of the series at all, and it's about as cinematic as a colonoscopy, and also it looks like a colonoscopy

CGI that was only rivaled by 2 Fast 2 Furious. "Smack dat rear end!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIpSjXzkgyo

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 4, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The weird thing about F&F4 is that they shot real cars on a stage and comped them into CG tunnels, which seems like a lot more work than just doing the whole thing as CG in the first place. (It also made everything look as fake as the jet-bike chase from the end of Torque.)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Chappie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXwichuGW28

Backup link: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/11/04/chappie-exclusive-trailer-neill-blomkamp/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I wasn't really expecting something so cornball.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This looks fantastic! How does he get some of the best looking CG at a fraction of the cost that kills everyone elses studios?!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Looks like a more serious and heavy-handed South African Johnny 5. I wonder if it'll really earn that schmaltz. I'll probably go see it, though - Elysium was kind of disappointing plot-wise, but still entertaining. I think at worst this will be similar.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

CGI that was only rivaled by 2 Fast 2 Furious. "Smack dat rear end!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIpSjXzkgyo

2 is by far the worst one, right? My personal order, best to worst, goes 5 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 2.

You might be able to convince me that Tokyo Drift is better than 4, but then I remember that bit where Paul Walker holds the dude's leg down so Vin Diesel can run him over with his car.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm optimistic that it's just being cut that way with the awful Chariots of Fire riff playing in back but that movie looks toothless as all gently caress.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

This looks fantastic! How does he get some of the best looking CG at a fraction of the cost that kills everyone elses studios?!

Well he's a CG guy himself actually. So I'm guessing he knows how to get what he wants a lot more efficiently than some director/post house combos.

This is one of his videos before he became famous (robot look familiar?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETwKqJCUgAM

mind the walrus posted:

I'm optimistic that it's just being cut that way with the awful Chariots of Fire riff playing in back but that movie looks toothless as all gently caress.

Well it's labeled as Sci-Fi Comedy with the plot synopsis being a reject robot is repurposed by gangsters for nefarious deeds.

So I'm guessing (hoping) it's a misdirect trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Die Antwoord starring in one of my most anticipated movies. What a wonderful time to be alive :allears:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

This is very different from what I was expecting given the poster.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This is very different from what I was expecting given the poster.

The whole time I kept waiting for it to turn into some over the top weirdness. Like, at first it's this sympathetic and cute underdog story with the sweet music and then BAM! - "what the gently caress did I just watch" type stuff. It never did. It was okay, I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Huh, that was interesting. Whoever mentioned this being like a South African variant of Short Circuit/Johnny 5 seems to be spot on.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Kush posted:

The whole time I kept waiting for it to turn into some over the top weirdness. Like, at first it's this sympathetic and cute underdog story with the sweet music and then BAM! - "what the gently caress did I just watch" type stuff. It never did. It was okay, I guess.

Yeah I was definitely expecting something more subversive. Which still could be the case with the film itself, I suppose.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

davidspackage posted:

Looks like a more serious and heavy-handed South African Johnny 5. I wonder if it'll really earn that schmaltz. I'll probably go see it, though - Elysium was kind of disappointing plot-wise, but still entertaining. I think at worst this will be similar.

The article refers to Pinocchio, which I suppose you could also say Short Circuit is also derived from.

Very few science fiction films about AI and robots are really about AI and robots. This, like Pinocchio, is about a kid growing up and the influences around him. In the movie the girl even says out loud "He's just a kid!"

And like Pinocchio, it sounds like he hangs out with a bad crowd for a while, not knowing right or wrong yet.

Yeah it's been done dozens of times but I'll always get sucked in by a story about a kid discovering the world, and the shot of him looking around at other people while being told that he's a black sheep, and the scene where kids are bullying him are tugging my heart strings

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 4, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm gonna get sad when Chappie sacrifices himself to save his friends

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Don't worry, that's when the fairy turns him into a real boy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not before he whispers "Suuuuuperchap"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is officially the least excited I have been about a Neill Blomkamp movie thus far.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah it's been done dozens of times but I'll always get sucked in by a story about a kid discovering the world, and the shot of him looking around at other people while being told that he's a black sheep, and the scene where kids are bullying him are tugging my heart strings

I already felt sad when he got set on fire.

It's missing the not-Indian guy doing an outrageously Indian accent though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I really really think that's a misdirect and it's not as "Imma real boy!" as it seems.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I liked the Chappie trailer, but it definitely gives me vibes of "playing it safe". I think the movie itself is going to be weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kush posted:

Do you remember the first trailer for District 9? It didn't show a single actually cool thing from the movie. I want to believe.

• Locked thread