Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dessel posted:

Like, in average Gundam show the president's son/someone would be way more antagonistic towards Bellri, but no, everyone is warming up to him.

He's just a kid who isn't even aware of the realities of what his family/Capital does. Everyone isn't a massive rear end in a top hat. He's actually a likable and friendly person who has shown an interest in doing right by them. Tomino said it himself, this is a Gundam not for people used to regular Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It does seem like the Amerians are granting an enemy combatant a really surprising amount of freedom, especially considering he brought two others with him, and they seem to spend a lot of their time talking about how they're gonna escape with the G-Self. It's not like the Capitol Guard/Army have committed some egregious atrocity that he witnessed; it seems like his life's pretty good overall.

Nobody vaporized his mom in front of him, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

It does seem like the Amerians are granting an enemy combatant a really surprising amount of freedom, especially considering he brought two others with him, and they seem to spend a lot of their time talking about how they're gonna escape with the G-Self. It's not like the Capitol Guard/Army have committed some egregious atrocity that he witnessed; it seems like his life's pretty good overall.

Nobody vaporized his mom in front of him, at least.

The Captain Army is using taboo technology, which to Bellri is straight-up unthinkable.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ImpAtom posted:

The Captain Army is using taboo technology, which to Bellri is straight-up unthinkable.

So is he part of the Amerian army now? Aren't they breaking this nebulous-rear end technology taboo too? I honestly don't think he gives a poo poo who he's fighting for as long as he gets to PEW PEW WHOOSH COOL MECHAS YAAAY.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

The G-Self seems like it would be pretty taboo. Although he didn't build it. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

The G-Self seems like it would be pretty taboo. Although he didn't build it. :v:

The Muffinlord posted:

So is he part of the Amerian army now? Aren't they breaking this nebulous-rear end technology taboo too? I honestly don't think he gives a poo poo who he's fighting for as long as he gets to PEW PEW WHOOSH COOL MECHAS YAAAY.

It is because it is the Capital being involved. They are basically a religious institution. Bellri said it himself earlier. The entire point is to avoid descending back into the shitstorm that was the Universal Century which is what the Capital and is power restrictions and taboo enforcement are supposed to do.

In theory the other nations can break the taboo but if they do so, welp, time for some power restrictions fucklord, hope you like your family starving. But now the Capital Army is doing it and that's a really bad thing because there is nobody to restrict them.

Bellri isn't part of the Ameria Army. He was planning to defect with the location of their space fleet but poo poo went down. Even if he did escape, it isn't clear what he intends to do. He's even crying out that it is the fault of the Army for using taboo technology that he had to kill his instructor.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 3, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There are three factions:

The most important of these are the Capital, who are the ones with access to Photon Batteries and who control the balance of power in the world. They are supposed to maintain the balance of power in the world and enforce the Taboo, which prevents the development of complex weaponry. The Captain Guard is supposed to enforce this but for reasons we're still discovering they've created the Capital Army who is violating the taboo and becoming an aggressive force in the world.

The other nations in the world are at war but limited by what they can do. The pirates we encounter are from Ameria and acting as pirates to avoid sanctions from the Capital for stealing power supplies.

The G-Self and Raraiya are found floating in orbit. Ameria''s pirates recovered the G-Self, Raraiya was recovered by the captial. Ameria is making backpacks for it using Taboo technology.

The G-Self, for reasons as of yet unknown, can only be piloted by someone with a "Rayhunton Code." This so far is Bellri, Aida and Raraiya.

That is basically everything we need to know so far and it isn't overly complex.

Yeah, I've understood all of this at least on some level. The backpacks are those mecha transporters or whatever? The naming is a bit confusing. It isn't the overall plot that I have issues with, it's in the details. Nothing feels quite as "solid" because the series doesn't overtly explain everything. It's difficult to put in words.

edit: I guess your average anime/series is really much heavier on exposition and character stereotypes, I suppose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dessel posted:

Yeah, I've understood all of this at least on some level. The backpacks are those mecha transporters or whatever? The naming is a bit confusing. It isn't the overall plot that I have issues with, it's in the details. Nothing feels quite as "solid" because the series doesn't overtly explain everything. It's difficult to put in words.

edit: I guess your average anime/series is really much heavier on exposition and character stereotypes, I suppose.

The backpacks are those things they're equipping on the G-Self. With the possible exception of the flight pack (which it had in the original drop), every backpack it has had it equipped is Ameria-built. (And even had plates inside saying so because they're not great at disguising this poo poo.) They were using the G-Self as the testbed for the Reflector Pack because it could reasonably equip it. (They couldn't get it functioning with the Montero.)

It's worth remembering that they're almost Turn-Aish in that all this stuff is ancient technology they are trying to recover, not new technology, with again the possible exception of the G-Self. They needed to unlock the G-Self so they could study the data inside of it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 3, 2014

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
RE: Bellri's motivation for going with the pirates

Bellri is a guy who kind of just goes with the flow. He acts on impulse without really thinking about it or considering the consequences, because being a prodigy and a spoiled kid meant that nothing in his life really ever spiraled out of his control, so he tends to take reckless actions without hesitation, like when he attacked Aida and the G-Self with his Recten in the first episode. It was incredibly reckless of him to do so, but things worked out in his favor anyway.

So when Klim attacked the Capital and demanded the release of the G-Self and Aida, Colonel Cumpa told them where the G-Self was, which Bellri interpreted as the Colonel wanting to test Bellri's loyalty and capabilities. So he decides to go along with Aida because he's interested in her and the G-Self, and to spy on the pirates and determine whether they are pirates or an actual military detachment, before stealing the G-Self back and returning with it to the Capital. In order to do so, he played nice with the pirates in order to gain their trust, believing himself to be on this fun adventure, unaware that the Capital Army is using him as an excuse to ramp up their military.

Dellensen's death is a hell of a rude awakening for the kid, who's finally learning that not everything will go the way he wants it to, and that his actions and lack of discipline can result in real consequences, which is the lesson Dellensen was never able to teach him in life, succeeding only with his own death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus, according to the tech fluff, the Elf series have Degeneracy Reactors which are what allow for their beam scattering bullshit. That's crazy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
what the gently caress is an elf reactor

i watch the show for cool robot fights but i have no idea how to reliably call a fight one way or the other

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, according to the tech fluff, the Elf series have Degeneracy Reactors which are what allow for their beam scattering bullshit. That's crazy.

Does that mean they're powered by the same thing as the Gunbuster. :stare:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Sakurazuka posted:

Does that mean they're powered by the same thing as the Gunbuster. :stare:

The same thing as a certain mustachioed mobile suit, according to the internet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azipod posted:

The same thing as a certain mustachioed mobile suit, according to the internet.

Said mustachioed mobile suit has two of them though, along with an innovative movement system that means it has no actuators or any other kind of internal skeleton, but instead basically makes a puppet of itself and moves by pulling on it's own strings so that the weight is cut down and the innards are much less cluttered and thus can equip more weapons and equipment. The series is packing some cool toys, but Turn-A still has the edge on it at the moment in terms of technology.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Said mustachioed mobile suit has two of them though, along with an innovative movement system that means it has no actuators or any other kind of internal skeleton, but instead basically makes a puppet of itself and moves by pulling on it's own strings so that the weight is cut down and the innards are much less cluttered and thus can equip more weapons and equipment. The series is packing some cool toys, but Turn-A still has the edge on it at the moment in terms of technology.

Well, yeah. That's because the show ends as soon as something gets to Turn A's tech-level (or, to be more precise, Turn X's, because that came first), the series either ends or turns into Fist of the North Star.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Dessel posted:

Is it just me or is this show really confusing? :psyduck: I mean, I get what's happening, but it constantly feels like everything is at most implied and the motivations of characters/events are kind of, err, psychotic, including the protagonist's. Like, in average Gundam show the president's son/someone would be way more antagonistic towards Bellri, but no, everyone is warming up to him. The battle in this episode was also really confusing. The entire political situation of the world is confusing. gently caress, I'm still confused where the G-Self came from, and as far as I understand we have no idea who made it.

This show leaves so many unknowns it feels like I'm constantly watching it in a drunken half-stupor.

..And yes, I am actually paying attention and I usually don't have this issue with TV shows, I often get foreshadowing pretty early, etc. I'm not saying it's bad either. Watching this show is a weird, disjointed eperience in a kind of a refreshing way, I suppose?

I feel the same way. 5 episodes in and I wish I really knew what was going on. It's like if I'm playing a video game on one monitor and have youtube going on in the other and not really paying attention, except with this I am actively watching and still feel disconnected. There's been nothing in this show to endear me to any of the characters, to make me care if anyone dies, or give a poo poo about either of the factions. I can't even get excited about the tech because everyone is using crazy future technology compared to Gundam UC, but going about if it's no big deal. If this is a Gundam not for fans of Gundam I want to know who it's for so I can know how I am supposed to enjoy this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm enjoying it almost entirely off the designs and action. Fortunately the writing isn't dragging it down nearly as much as before, but it's still not to that sweet spot of "good" writing yet.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 4, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I want to say I had similar issues with Eureka 7, where I felt like I was watching the show, but not understanding it completely. Still, like wickedHate I'm fully enjoying the designs and animation.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Faltion posted:

I feel the same way. 5 episodes in and I wish I really knew what was going on. It's like if I'm playing a video game on one monitor and have youtube going on in the other and not really paying attention, except with this I am actively watching and still feel disconnected. There's been nothing in this show to endear me to any of the characters, to make me care if anyone dies, or give a poo poo about either of the factions. I can't even get excited about the tech because everyone is using crazy future technology compared to Gundam UC, but going about if it's no big deal. If this is a Gundam not for fans of Gundam I want to know who it's for so I can know how I am supposed to enjoy this.

I think the show's just lost you, there is nothing about this show that's hard to understand.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Faltion posted:

If this is a Gundam not for fans of Gundam I want to know who it's for so I can know how I am supposed to enjoy this.

Shortest answer is that it's a Tomino as hell show for fans of Tomino, and only had the gundam name attached partway through development.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

Shortest answer is that it's a Tomino as hell show for fans of Tomino, and only had the gundam name attached partway through development.

That would make sense, as people who enjoy it keep using "That's just how Tomino is" to explain criticism.

I sure as hell wouldn't be watching if the G-Reco looked as ugly as it did in the early designs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The people is me, and it's not an excuse for criticism, more like a discussion of how I enjoy Tomino's style of writing over the proposed alternative. I really enjoy a more opaque style of storytelling, where characters dont provide direct exposition for the audience and knowledge of outside events is kept within themselves. It's fun to piece the universe together from the fragments of information that are situationally given, and exceptionally satisfying to have those hypotheses proven right through new episodes, the world is planned out well enough that theres an order to everything, and its very cool to peek inside it and figure out where its going.

That's why I like this show a lot, Gainer and Turn A were structured in a similar way, but I saw those shows after they had already aired, its exciting to be able to do it live.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's not so much that people are saying "it's a Tomino show" to dispel criticism, as much as to explain that Tomino's non-Gundam shows are stylistically fairly different from his Gundam stuff. Which is why a Gundam fan might not enjoy the show.

Gundam is sometimes compared to Star Wars so I'll use that as a jumping off point for one example: Someone that loves the hell out of Star Wars might not enjoy American Graffiti. Lucas was responsible for both, but they're very different movies!

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 4, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
For those of you struggling with Bellri's motivations, I'd suggest watching the first few episodes of Aura Battler Dunbine.

Bellri and Shou Zama feel very similar to me in a way I have difficulty explaining since the characters themselves are so different. They both wind up defecting in a unique prototype with about a similar amount of lead-in and the same apparent degree of motivation (but without Dunbine's higher episode count to pad things out), they both have a thing for the mysterious red-haired woman from Ameri(c)a, and they're both basically kids who find themselves caught up in fantastic circumstances. I expect it's going to have about the same end result as Dunbine, too, but look forward to being pleasantly surprised.

The show is very Tomino. We're just trading Degwin Zabi with a flying dragon cane and a man named "Shott Weapon" in a hilarious skeleton costume for Klim Nick. I think ReconG came out ahead in that regard. :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

That's why I like this show a lot, Gainer and Turn A were structured in a similar way, but I saw those shows after they had already aired, its exciting to be able to do it live.

I don't know about Gainer, but I've watched Turn A recently and it was a lot easier to follow, and the character's actions made more sense.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

For those of you struggling with Bellri's motivations, I'd suggest watching the first few episodes of Aura Battler Dunbine.

Bellri and Shou Zama feel very similar to me in a way I have difficulty explaining since the characters themselves are so different. They both wind up defecting in a unique prototype with about a similar amount of lead-in and the same apparent degree of motivation (but without Dunbine's higher episode count to pad things out), they both have a thing for the mysterious red-haired woman from Ameri(c)a, and they're both basically kids who find themselves caught up in fantastic circumstances. I expect it's going to have about the same end result as Dunbine, too, but look forward to being pleasantly surprised.

The show is very Tomino. We're just trading Degwin Zabi with a flying dragon cane and a man named "Shott Weapon" in a hilarious skeleton costume for Klim Nick. I think ReconG came out ahead in that regard. :allears:

Did you see the end of Dunbine? Everybody dying in an apocalyptic battle, except for Haro/the fish, seems like a little too much of a tonal shift for Tomino

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I don't know about Gainer, but I've watched Turn A recently and it was a lot easier to follow, and the character's actions made more sense.

Turn A's world was much more simplistic which helped with that also, The state of the Earth was very close to our own turn of the 20th century, and the moonrace despite being a bit forward with their access to technology and monarchist state, are basically modern people.

Even in Turn A theres tons of concepts hidden from the viewer until deeper on in the story, The mountain cycles and full truth of the dark history being first and foremost. It also benefited by being a much longer series with a larger budget, Tomino was able to take his time getting where he wanted to go, a luxury the staff of this series doesn't have.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

Even in Turn A theres tons of concepts hidden from the viewer until deeper on in the story, The mountain cycles and full truth of the dark history being first and foremost.
Well yeah, a lot of shows reveals secrets in later episodes. That's not really the same thing as deliberately hiding information and making the setting intentionally confusing and convoluted.

Sharkopath posted:

It also benefited by being a much longer series with a larger budget, Tomino was able to take his time getting where he wanted to go, a luxury the staff of this series doesn't have.

That seems like a reason for G-Reco to tell more, not less.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

Did you see the end of Dunbine?

Yes I did. Like I said, I look forward to being pleasantly surprised but if the G-Self is actually secretly the Turn-A like I'm hoping...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

It gives you tons of information, almost too much, just not what you think you need to know.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Well yeah, a lot of shows reveals secrets in later episodes. That's not really the same thing as deliberately hiding information and making the setting intentionally confusing and convoluted.

It's not confusing and convoluted though really, I mean I was able to put together a state of the world back during episode 2 or 3 that's still holding entirely true, although somebody in this thread has written a better one since then.

I feel that G-Reco is telling plenty enough, and unrequired exposition would take the place of things I also like, the character animation and interaction mainly.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It's not so much hiding information as revealing stuff naturally through conversation and action, rather than through hamfisted exposition, it feels like. So far it's seems to have been easy enough to follow as long as you pay attention to the conversations, and there's been plenty of heavy foreshadowing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That being said some of the character motivations and stuff were a bit weird during the first few episodes, but those seem to have all straightened out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

Okay, so the state of the world is pretty clear now. Cool!

Apparently in the past energy conflicts got bad enough that everyone (or maybe just the victors of one war or another) decided to give a monopoly on energy production to one non-state entity. Opposing this entity was theoretically impossible due to everyone being dependent on them, and so their only concern were pirates- hence the Capital Guard (pretty intriguing that they're starting up an army now... things must be breaking down).

Opposing this entity was also discouraged by quasi-religious or maybe even actual-religious taboo. Personally this concept is a bit iffy to me, how it would actually work, but it's a really Tomino idea, and it gets to the heart of things well enough that I can enjoy it. Especially because it leads to the interesting situation where His Holiness has a great deal of clout in Capital. Of course he would, he's as much responsible for their defense as their military or their energy monopoly. This isn't just a random future theocracy for no reason- it makes sense.

There's a lot of seeming anachronisms like that- the shells are probably because energy is at a premium so Ameria resorts back to chemical propelled projectiles. Old-timey phones make sense when minovsky particles would disrupt wireless ones. All the public art is because the impressive presentation of the buildings are important to the mystique and taboo that protects the place (instead of the Classical grandeur of the Vatican, they went with postmodern(?) abstract stuff, which is kind of hilarious, as they're both quoting a millennia old style). Some thought went into this world.

I like that this setup can be read as allegory for a few different things. Most obviously, Ameria is dependent on energy sources from a faraway theocracy and is starting an aggressive war to secure its energy independence. If you want to stretch things- there's a narrative that Japan attacked the US only after the US had cut off oil exports to Japan (protesting their intervention in French Indochina). By that narrative, the US had to know exactly how Japan had to react when its oil was cut off, so it was basically America forcing the war to happen. I have no idea how popular that narrative is in Japan or if Tomino's referencing it, but it seems a bit similar. (Even if these are inspirations for this situation, I wouldn't read them as commentary on real events, rather it seems like they're just flavor here. The only message here is "don't use technology/energy like fuckwits, humanity.")

I think we can presume what was cut out of the other episode now- we can't just cover the Earth with solar panels because nations managing their own energy resources would inevitably use them to steal their neighbors resources and humanity would be plunged back into all-consuming war. Only with the careful management of the Capital Tower can humanity be saved from itself.

It makes sense that he'd get slapped for saying that.

Really should just put every post Eiba makes into the OP, they are the best poster in this thread by far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My feeling is that the worldsetting makes sense but the characterization frequently is iffy.

Not because the characters are mischaracterized but because everyone is about three shades to chill for any given situation. It feels really weird how relaxed everyone is even when seriously bad poo poo is going on. The later episodes I think have hit people better because people are responding to things instead of feeling super-relaxed about everything. It isn't that it makse the worldsetting easier to understand but it makes it easier to understand how the characters feel about that worldsetting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

My feeling is that the worldsetting makes sense but the characterization frequently is iffy.

Not because the characters are mischaracterized but because everyone is about three shades to chill for any given situation. It feels really weird how relaxed everyone is even when seriously bad poo poo is going on. The later episodes I think have hit people better because people are responding to things instead of feeling super-relaxed about everything. It isn't that it makse the worldsetting easier to understand but it makes it easier to understand how the characters feel about that worldsetting.

I agree with that part, but also think with the hindsight of how the plot is devloping, the iffyness was more due to the viewpoints/culture/nature of the characters were we following in those early episodes compared to now, where with the Pirates we have a more balanced main cast.

Bellri is naive, The Capital Guard are an unprofessional reserve that are also more concerned with pomp and aesthetic than getting actual work done, the capital populace in general seems to have a very blase attitude about things, if the short glimpse we got of the undernut recently can be taken as standard.

Aida's wierd moment of duplicitousness regarding Bellri makes more sense to me now that I know she's willfully playing a role instead of being herself, The Army is still full of the guard goofballs but now mysterious new characters such as Mask who seem to be filled up with a holy righteousness and belief in his own cause.

The pirates are in comparison a much more goal oriented and serious lot, but it is nice to have a goofball character who can do both, in Klim Nick.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Bellri is naive, The Capital Guard are an unprofessional reserve that are also more concerned with pomp and aesthetic than getting actual work done, the capital populace in general seems to have a very blase attitude about things, if the short glimpse we got of the undernut recently can be taken as standard.

Someone in Undernut cared enough to throw a rock at the Capital Army guys as they zoomed by on Segways, though I'm not sure if that argued for or against Capital residents being chill.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Sounds like they're still not taking the whole war thing seriously to me. "Army? *pfft* They're just the Guards with fancy uniforms."

Also, that was a spoon. :v:

Edit: Well, I thought it was. Maybe not.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 4, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

It's not so much that people are saying "it's a Tomino show" to dispel criticism, as much as to explain that Tomino's non-Gundam shows are stylistically fairly different from his Gundam stuff. Which is why a Gundam fan might not enjoy the show.

Gundam is sometimes compared to Star Wars so I'll use that as a jumping off point for one example: Someone that loves the hell out of Star Wars might not enjoy American Graffiti. Lucas was responsible for both, but they're very different movies!

I think a better example would be the prequel star wars films.

People who liked the first three Star Wars films might actually like the prequels, but chances are they probably won't because the people in the prequel films don't act like actual people. That seems to be the big complaint about G-Reco as well, most of us like the stuff that is 'gundamy' such as Mobile Suit combat and some of the plot beats. On the other hand most, if not all of the complaints tend to be about the fact that the characters in the show largely don't act like humans, but like some weird creatures trying to ape human interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The characters in the Star Wars prequels act like people, just not particularly well spoken or competent people.

• Locked thread