Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did Mega Man 9/10 sell well? I'm kinda surprised they never did more of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Did Mega Man 9/10 sell well? I'm kinda surprised they never did more of those.

Mega Man 9 did well for its budget but Mega Man 10 underperformed.

They were trying to figure out other ways to do downloadable Mega Man stuff. Mega Man Universe was going to be a downloadable title for example before it got canned.

The big thing about Mega Man is that it was Keiji Inafune's baby and since he had a lot of sway at Capcom he kept pushing for it despite repeated failures. MMBN gave the franchise a new lease on life but it was short-lived.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 4, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm thinking about getting a Wii since most of my "time by myself" gaming is done on the computer, but it'd be nice for the fiancee and I to have something to play together that isn't Diablo on the 360, and to have something to play with friends.

Wii U seems a great choice on that front.

But, uh...I haven't gotten a new system in years and there's a lot of poo poo here I'm not super familiar with.

So, in no particular order:
1.) Should I wait until later this month? I saw that PS4 had a price drop; are we expecting a similar Wii U one in advance of the holidays?
2.) That Fry's deal in the OP is dead. What's the bundle I should be targeting if what I want most is Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros., and Zelda? (I don't see a bundle that does a good job with this stuff; I'm mostly asking if there's a new bundle people are expecting in the coming weeks.)
3.) Is there anything I need to watch out for when making a crapload of purchases on the Nintendo Store? I want to play a bunch of VC games and will probably drop like $100 on that library very quickly. Is there something similar to the XBox "Games with Gold" promo where I should drag my feet when making purchases?
4.) I'm still boned if I want to play that copy of Xenoblade Chronicles that's been sitting in an unwrapped box for several years, right? (I don't have a DVD drive on my computer, so emulation is out.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ImpAtom posted:

Not really, no. You're severely overestimating Mega Man or underestimating Street Fighter in terms of Capcom's sales numbers and public face. Mega Man was big during the NES era but that is about it. Even then Ghosts N' Goblins sold more copies than Mega Man 2 did. (And MM2 was the best-selling Mega Man game.)

I'm not really talking about sales as much as I'm talking about the brand. When you think Capcom, you'd naturally think of Megaman. Regardless of sales, the names of the two are hand-in-hand. It's akin to Mario's new series not selling so hot because it's the same formula in comparison to the age-old games. Then you get things like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World/Land etc. Those other games are things Capcom hasn't really tried since the PS1, but it's, for this metaphor's sake, them just putting out New games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FairGame posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Wii since most of my "time by myself" gaming is done on the computer, but it'd be nice for the fiancee and I to have something to play together that isn't Diablo on the 360, and to have something to play with friends.

But, uh...I haven't gotten a new system in years and there's a lot of poo poo here I'm not super familiar with.

1.) Should I wait until later this month? I saw that PS4 had a price drop; are we expecting a similar Wii U one in advance of the holidays?
2.) That Fry's deal in the OP is dead. What's the bundle I should be targeting if what I want most is Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros., and Zelda? (I don't see a bundle that does a good job with this stuff; I'm mostly asking if there's a new bundle people are expecting in the coming weeks.)
3.) Is there anything I need to watch out for when making a crapload of purchases on the Nintendo Store? I want to play a bunch of VC games and will probably drop like $100 on that library very quickly. Is there something similar to the XBox "Games with Gold" promo where I should drag my feet when making purchases?
4.) I'm still boned if I want to play that copy of Xenoblade Chronicles that's been sitting in an unwrapped box for several years, right? (I don't have a DVD drive on my computer, so emulation is out.)

Do not buy anything before Black Friday unless it is an insanely good deal. There will be better deals.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm not really talking about sales as much as I'm talking about the brand. When you think Capcom, you'd naturally think of Megaman. Regardless of sales, the names of the two are hand-in-hand. It's akin to Mario's new series not selling so hot because it's the same formula in comparison to the age-old games. Then you get things like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World/Land etc. Those other games are things Capcom hasn't really tried since the PS1, but it's, for this metaphor's sake, them just putting out New games.

You might. Most people don't. Capcom's biggest franchises are Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter. All of those are more popular, more recognized and better selling than Mega Man ever was.

Also I have no idea what you mean by the second thing. Capcom constantly tried to reinvent Mega Man. The most successful Mega Man since the NES (Battle Network) was a reinvention.

Edit: Also the "New" games outsell the 3D games by a significant amount. Like hugely significantly so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 4, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

noirstronaut posted:

When you think of namco you think of pacman, but they should probably stop trying to reivent him.

Also Mario's new series sold boatloads - the DS and Wii ones have sold a ridiculous amount. And they're cheap to make.

Even as a character megaman probably hasn't been relevant since megaman X.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

noirstronaut posted:

It's more akin to saying Metroid is a flagship Nintendo franchise.

Hint: No one gives a poo poo about Metroid.

The New Mario games sell really stupidly well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FairGame posted:

Nintendo doesn't do anything like that with the store, the only reason not to buy stuff on it is if the WiiU not having a proper account system bothers you (digital purchases are tied to the console itself). You can play Xenoblade Chronicles fine on the WiiU but you WILL need to buy a wiimote + nunchuck/classic controller separately, none of the WiiU controllers work with Wii games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Have you been living under a rock? Are you okay?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When I think of Capcom, I think of Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
When I think of Capcom, I get sad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's funny he made that comparison, considering the first New Super Mario Bros game on DS has outsold the Megaman franchise in its entirety.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Didn't New Super Mario Bros Wii sell like ten million copies?

EDIT: more like 26 million. What a failure of a series!!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sakurazuka posted:

<snip> You can play Xenoblade Chronicles fine on the WiiU but you WILL need to buy a wiimote + nunchuck/classic controller separately, none of the WiiU controllers work with Wii games.

Also remember you need the sensor bar for the remote. More expensive bundles usually have it, but bare bone-ones don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops, I'm lying.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 4, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Didn't New Super Mario Bros Wii sell like ten million copies?

Closer to thirty million. You're looking at over seventy million NSMB sales between the five titles. It's insane how well the games have sold.

NSMB2 and the Wii U entries haven't sold as much, but it's still 15 million between the three of those, which is nothing to scoff at.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FairGame posted:

1. No idea, I haven't anything concrete has been announced yet.
2. The best deal right now everyone seems to get is the refurbished Wii U direct from Nintendo with Nintendoland: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...ctId=prod150200 I ordered it and was told there was a backlog that would take a week to fill, only to have the console arrive at my door two days later. The console looks and plays perfect.
3. Just remember that the system only has 32GB on hand, so if you make any big purchases, consider getting an external hard drive to go along with it. Otherwise, Nintendo doesn't have a PS+ / Games With Gold equivalent, but they do have sales on certain things (like the Smash sale, where certain games that featured the players in Smash Bros were on sale).
4. Yeah, you can play it. You just need a Wiimote / nunchuck / classic controller to play.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

FairGame posted:

There have been a lot of people posting both in this thread and the other Wii U game threads about playing with their SO, so you're right it's a great choice.

1) Heard Target was having an upcoming either Buy 2 Get 1 Free or possibly Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale on Wii U games (probably from this thread), but don't recall the time/details. Black Friday will probably have good deals as well.

2) My advice would still be to get a $200 Refurbished Deluxe, which comes with NintendoLand and gets you access to the Deluxe Digital Promotion. However I know the Mario Kart bundle was popular when MK8 came out - I don't know of any new bundles.

3) The Deluxe Digital Promotion mentioned above gets you 10% credit back on all eShop Digital Purchases until the end of this year (unless Nintendo extends it, which I think everyone is hoping they will). That means don't drag your feet! Details are here. Edit: Also sign up at Club Nintendo to register your system/games for coins which you can cash in for downloads, which could towards getting you credit as well.

4) Unless I'm missing something obvious, you're talking about playing the Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles (which is an awesome game by the way - you've got good taste) on the Wii U? Yes, of course you can do that? Is there some kind of issue I don't know about where Xenoblade specifically won't work on the Wii U? According to Giant Bomb forums it seems like it should work.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Don't forget that Nintendo does different free VC every month with Club Nintendo. Definitely get a Club Nintendo account and link it to your console ASAP

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mario Kart 8 bundle is nice, since it also comes with a Wiimote plus. They're hard to find, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I figured there would be a new Direct soon, since they still need to lay out how pre-downloading games will work.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Supercar Gautier posted:

I figured there would be a new Direct soon, since they still need to lay out how pre-downloading games will work.

What needs explaining?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well they need to tell people it exists, since most people don't follow investors meetings. And they need to go over the steps involved and how it will integrate with the current pre-order system.

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
I'm looking to play Pikmin 1 and 2 before playing 3 and had somehow completely missed the fact that apparently original Wii games work on the Wii U? Just making sure because googling for the info seems to only list system transfer type stuff and I no longer own an original Wii. If I got the Pikmin 1 and 2 Wii ports along with a nunchuk+controller would they would on the U?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

adhuin posted:

Also remember you need the sensor bar for the remote. More expensive bundles usually have it, but bare bone-ones don't.

The gamepad has a sensor bar on/in it if whatever bundle he buys doesn't have one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mega Man is a game that is huge to people that loved Mega Man and pretty much no one else. I like the series alot and it would be cool if Capcom made more of them but they don't really have a good reason to do so. It's kind of funny to see people get really mad at the cancellation of something like Mega Man Legends 3, a sequel to a game that even most Mega Man fans didn't like.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

CatsPajamas posted:

Unless I'm missing something obvious, you're talking about playing the Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles (which is an awesome game by the way - you've got good taste) on the Wii U? Yes, of course you can do that? Is there some kind of issue I don't know about where Xenoblade specifically won't work on the Wii U? According to Giant Bomb forums it seems like it should work.

The only reason I can think of that it wouldn't work is if he imported it from Europe before it came out in the US and he tries to play it on a US Wii U

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ImpAtom posted:

Not really, no. You're severely overestimating Mega Man or underestimating Street Fighter in terms of Capcom's sales numbers and public face. Mega Man was big during the NES era but that is about it. Even then Ghosts N' Goblins sold more copies than Mega Man 2 did. (And MM2 was the best-selling Mega Man game.)

Where's my new Ghosts 'n Goblins games, CAPCOM???

I'm being serious that series rules.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

The last one on the PSP was pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

PSP one was pretty great. It's weird that PSP somehow ended up having every game in the series on it.

e:f;b

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mercury Crusader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexy0wWEGsw

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

Just think about it this way. The majority of the good Capcom became Platinum. And then we can all be happy again.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

Same

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Mega Man is a game that is huge to people that loved Mega Man and pretty much no one else. I like the series alot and it would be cool if Capcom made more of them but they don't really have a good reason to do so. It's kind of funny to see people get really mad at the cancellation of something like Mega Man Legends 3, a sequel to a game that even most Mega Man fans didn't like.

To be fair, it also has the most games of any of Capcom's series. Well, out of the following list, anyway, I don't know what they're constituting as separate titles to give Dragon's Dogma 6 releases.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The last one on the PSP was pretty good.

It was. Imported the rerelease of the game that wasn't brought over to the west since that had a more arcade-like gameplay format compared to the original's weird sort-of-RPG-lite system.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

fiber posted:

I'm looking to play Pikmin 1 and 2 before playing 3 and had somehow completely missed the fact that apparently original Wii games work on the Wii U? Just making sure because googling for the info seems to only list system transfer type stuff and I no longer own an original Wii. If I got the Pikmin 1 and 2 Wii ports along with a nunchuk+controller would they would on the U?

The Wii U basically has a Wii in it. From the system menu you can select "Wii Mode" and everything should literally be identical to playing on a Wii, with the bonus of being able to output to the Gamepad if you don't want to use a TV.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, that classic Ghosts 'n Goblins tune

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ahahahahahahahaHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo doesn't do anything like that with the store, the only reason not to buy stuff on it is if the WiiU not having a proper account system bothers you (digital purchases are tied to the console itself). You can play Xenoblade Chronicles fine on the WiiU but you WILL need to buy a wiimote + nunchuck/classic controller separately, none of the WiiU controllers work with Wii games.

Xenoblade supports Wiimote+Nunchuk, but it's barely playable that way and doesn't even implement the most basic functions of the remote (not even pointer controls for menus). You NEED a classic controller for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Space Harrier posted:

Xenoblade supports Wiimote+Nunchuk, but it's barely playable that way and doesn't even implement the most basic functions of the remote (not even pointer controls for menus). You NEED a classic controller for the game.

I played the entire game with wiimote + nunchuck and had no issues.

• Locked thread