Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apes after its audience, then, when you consider mentally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fronz posted:

FFXV will be both more challenging than Persona V, spiritually, intellectually, and physically.

Game paused. Please stand and shout, "Mountain Dew!" to continue.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Tabata comes off as very excited about directing FFXV. He is confident in his management skills and his ability to create a quality product. Wada had personally gone to him in the middle of 2012 and asked him to reboot the project when Nomura's team failed to get results.

quote:

"This is my first numbered Final Fantasy game," FFXV director Hajime Tabata told me at Square Enix's Tokyo headquarters early last week. And what a numbered Final Fantasy game this is.

Tabata sat comfortably in a leather chair. "I don't feel much pressure," he said. Final Fantasy XV, he explained, was something they were proud of. "I just want to get the game out there, see what people think, and hopefully get a good reaction. So, it's more of me looking forward to that than feeling pressure."

- - -

"I joined the project about two years ago, and around that time, we changed platforms," he said. "We re-examined Final Fantasy XV's development structure. We had the gameplay team, the cinematics or CG team, and the game engine team. And we finally merged them all together to work on this game. I think we can deliver the best that Square Enix has to offer."

http://kotaku.com/the-man-who-saved-final-fantasy-xv-1637142585

Time will tell if he can successfully complete his rescue mission. I think the fact that management is confident enough to have live demonstrations and announce a playable demo shows that he is making progress with the game. He's certainly handling the PR aspect of the game much better than his predecessor through frequent communication with fans at events and streaming events. With news of the Type-0 team joining FFXV's development, Tabata and his team have a good opportunity to rise up the ranks of the company. There's certainly a vacancy with the core Kingdom Hearts team failing to ship a AAA console game for 8 years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More interested in whether they're going to fix the alleged grinding problems with Type-0 than if it still has all the costumes in it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sunning posted:

Tabata comes off as very excited about directing FFXV. He is confident in his management skills and his ability to create a quality product. Wada had personally gone to him in the middle of 2012 and asked him to reboot the project when Nomura's team failed to get results.

http://kotaku.com/the-man-who-saved-final-fantasy-xv-1637142585

Time will tell if he can successfully complete his rescue mission. I think the fact that management is confident enough to have live demonstrations and announce a playable demo shows that he is making progress with the game. He's certainly handling the PR aspect of the game much better than his predecessor through frequent communication with fans at events and streaming events. With news of the Type-0 team joining FFXV's development, Tabata and his team have a good opportunity to rise up the ranks of the company. There's certainly a vacancy with the core Kingdom Hearts team failing to ship a AAA console game for 8 years.

Tabata has been an excellent public face for the project, anything else aside. He has been very aggressive in showing that work has been done and his excitement is infectious. He seems like a really involved, engaging dude and I hope that behind the show, there's some substance. He has a very Yoshi-P air about him and I like it. Nomura was always super cryptic about FFXV so it's nice to see someone who is confident and vocal take over.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fronz posted:

FFXV will be both more challenging than Persona V, spiritually, intellectually, and physically.

Sounds like someone's not yankin it to his waifu hard enough, like a REAL persona player.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I have never paid a whole lot of attention to project leads, what else has Tabata done? Because it really doesn't matter how well a job he does, he'll be better than Nomura by default as long as the game actually comes out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Momomo posted:

So I have never paid a whole lot of attention to project leads, what else has Tabata done? Because it really doesn't matter how well a job he does, he'll be better than Nomura by default as long as the game actually comes out.

He's worked on Type-0 (obviously), Crisis Core and 3rd Birthday :barf: also co-director on a couple of Kingdom Hearts things, I think.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
You know, now I kinda want to see a documentary about the development of either XV or XIII. The stories I'm getting from Sunning's posts are a lot more interesting than the stories for most of the games in the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He shipped like 3 games in a span of 4 years while also being the director of two more games, one being Crisis Core. If nothing else, he is proven to get results done.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

XV will not be as awesome as three Vs so what's the point really? :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3rd Birthday counts as negative points though and I'm suddenly glad there aren't any female main characters in FF XV if he had any hand in both games stories.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

3rd Birthday counts as negative points though and I'm suddenly glad there aren't any female main characters in FF XV if he had any hand in both games stories.

He didn't. Well, not 3rd Birthday.

Type-0 does, however, feature some voyeurism poo poo, so the guy has some issues. We'll see.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The writer was Toshimitsu Takeuchi, directors are usually there to make sure the overall project is shipped and everyone is progressing. Or at least that's what they're supposed to do.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Levantine posted:

Tabata has been an excellent public face for the project, anything else aside. He has been very aggressive in showing that work has been done and his excitement is infectious. He seems like a really involved, engaging dude and I hope that behind the show, there's some substance. He has a very Yoshi-P air about him and I like it. Nomura was always super cryptic about FFXV so it's nice to see someone who is confident and vocal take over.

I wonder if it was Nomura's choice to stay so quiet. I remember him repeatedly saying that he'd like to show stuff off or talk about it more, but wasn't allowed to. But who knows if that means he wasn't being persuasive enough to convince he higher-ups to let him, or the game wasn't in good condition to show off, or they really were holding him back and changed their attitude on publicity at the same time they put Tabata in charge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, but he must have at least read the story and gone 'yeah, this is okay', instead of tossing it out of a window like any sane person.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Garuda DOES have the best music in FFXIV...

That title was taken by Shiva.

https://soundcloud.com/ffxivunnoficial/shiva-intro

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Garuda DOES have the best music in FFXIV...

I would have agreed with you until Shiva came along.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sounds like someone's not yankin it to his waifu hard enough, like a REAL persona player.
The TRUE persona player knows that their waifu it too pure to be yanked to.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also annoying japanese schoolgirl, or a cavalcade of handsome, fashionable, fit men road tripping and doing manly things?

hmm, i think FFXV wins on that front too

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

quote:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series.

Can I make a corollary to this? Every dungeon in Final Fantasy 12 is the worst dungeon in the game.

You think things can't get worse than the sewers, then you go to Giruvegan. You think you can't get worse than Giruvegan then you get to the terrible crystal part of Giruvegan. You think things can't get worse than that then you go to the Pharos. You think things can't get worse than that then you go to the Subterra. You think things can't get worse than that then you go back to that lovely crystal maze but worse

Thinking of just giving up on doing all the lovely endgame sidequests and just finishing this one off.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 4, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
People have been digging through the FFXIII PC files.

Not only did they find the unfinished DLC, but they also found the some of the placeholder/beta stuff. These are Snow and Serah's beta models:

:lol:

[e]: Also, considering that IX has the least known amount of dummied content (much of it seems to have been removed outright from the gamefiles), there's apparently some dummied dialogue. Some of which seem to be extensions on existing scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvdrD0jmms

I like that final one:
Guard "A tail?"
Zidane "Meeeeooow!"
Guard "Oh just a cat."

There's more here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/?topic=14315

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't imagine a worse dungeon than FF13's endgame, but to be fair the only FF's I've completely finished are 9, 10, and 13. Others I did read LP's on their endgame at least.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Butt Ghost posted:

The TRUE persona player knows that their waifu it too pure to be yanked to.

Pure waifus are the worst.

Ai for lyfe, sad nerds!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

he Pharos was like the best final dungeon I've ever seen in an FF game. (I've played through IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII and XIII)

Granted, out of all of those, only VIII, IX and XII really had notable final dungeons. The rest were meh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

I can't imagine a worse dungeon than FF13's endgame, but to be fair the only FF's I've completely finished are 9, 10, and 13. Others I did read LP's on their endgame at least.

I dunno, FF3's final dungeon is some hot bullshit. That gets my vote for worst.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Momomo posted:

Tabata mostly worked on mobile and handheld games. FF Type-0 was his big break in that he got to handle all aspects of its development, including story and world-building. Before that, he worked on Crisis Core as its director while Nomura handled story, characters, and world building. CC seems like a similar setup in that he's directing something that had its story and world created by someone else. He's said to be influenced by historical documentaries and is very programmer/engineer friendly according his co-workers.

Schwartzcough posted:

I wonder if it was Nomura's choice to stay so quiet. I remember him repeatedly saying that he'd like to show stuff off or talk about it more, but wasn't allowed to. But who knows if that means he wasn't being persuasive enough to convince he higher-ups to let him, or the game wasn't in good condition to show off, or they really were holding him back and changed their attitude on publicity at the same time they put Tabata in charge.

Chances are the game was never in a state they could show off since the engine had issues, the game lacked a solid direction, and progress was slow due to their development methodology. We saw FFXIII and FFXIV have similar problems where the former had to make compromises to just ship and the second was released in a near-unplayable state. With Tabata's recent statements about the project reboot, it looks like Nomura struggled to finalize the game's concept which was exacerbated by engine problems. Sometimes, developers can work so closely on a game that they're not realistic about the state of the game and expectations of consumers.

I think what is more telling is Nomura's silence after Tabata was made sole director of FFXV. In game development, the expectation of a director is to stay on the entirety of the project since their duties go beyond the creative side and involve promoting game and handling business matters with the producers. There was no statement by him about why Tabata was the man for the job or why he felt the project was in good hands. He didn't appear at the TGS event and give interviews. Instead, the CEO of the company has to come out with a statement about staff changes. This is more of a FFXIV situation than a FFXII scenario in that FFXV had a project reboot by new staff rather than a group of the ex-director's close associates trying fulfill his vision to the best of their ability.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If Sunning dropped any more sick burns on Square-Enix and Nomura, they'd have to call the fire department.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gologle posted:

If Sunning dropped any more sick burns on Square-Enix and Nomura, they'd have to call the fire department.

We shouldn't make fun of Nomura. He's probably in a bad place now with his dream project handed off to someone else and his longtime associates leaving the company. FFXV's development timeline has gone from ludicrous to depressing in how much money and manpower was wasted on it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So basically he's ready to join Sonic Team.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Also, considering that IX has the least known amount of dummied content (much of it seems to have been removed outright from the gamefiles), there's apparently some dummied dialogue. Some of which seem to be extensions on existing scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvdrD0jmms

Man, what's up with the weird midi in this video? It's synced to speed, but surely it can't be something from the fabled unfinished PC port.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Seriously, look at FFXIV. I came back after taking a few months off do to work/school and when I logged in and rejoin the goon guild there were 150 goons in it. A year after release on a p2p MMO on just one of the 3 goon guilds in excalibur. There hasn't been an MMO with this staying power in our community since WoW.

If Tabata can do to FFXV what Yoshi did with FFXIV then I'll say that SE is good shape. If they can actually reboot some of their old franchises after that they'll be great.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Put Dissidia on consoles and also revive The Bouncer for shits and giggles.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The White Dragon posted:

Man, what's up with the weird midi in this video? It's synced to speed, but surely it can't be something from the fabled unfinished PC port.

Probably just the emulator making GBS threads itself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The GIG posted:

Put Dissidia on consoles and also revive The Bouncer for shits and giggles.

Leave The Bouncer in its terrible, hour-and-a-half deep grave.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just want S-E do like Konami did with Metal Gear Rising and make a video where members of the old team are forced to apologize and explain what they did wrong while praising their replacements.

It felt so wrong and so right at the same time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Barudak posted:

Leave The Bouncer in its terrible, hour-and-a-half deep grave.

Yeah, let's not dredge up bad memories. Now Ehrgeiz on the other hand... (I kid, I kid! Seriously, though, they should bring back Einhander).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Bouncer was fun for that hour and a half though. Only when you realize what's happening do you get angry.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I liked the Bouncer for being one of those games that had 3 different perspectives on how story events work out, especially the one guy's Simon Says section to...mimic guard poses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Tae posted:

I liked the Bouncer for being one of those games that had 3 different perspectives on how story events work out, especially the one guy's Simon Says section to...mimic guard poses?

Yeah, doing interpretive dancing to get past security checkpoints is the only thing I really remember from that game.