Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Haha, Summoning Gate 2 unlock is such a clusterfuck. Hurr durr I'm Cia I'm going to run into the enemy's element-protected main base five minutes into the stage. The rough part was getting enough KOs before she died or we killed the commander just keeping him away from her. Still got it, but I have no idea how you guys are doing some of this poo poo solo :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

It's even worse on the Master Quest map when the quiz has the "No Attack Items" rule so that you can't use the Boomerang to keep her stunned and out of the way. :argh:

Yeah, that's the one. I was fine until the last fight, then it was Midna blocking everything and Lana jumping in front of my combos going "Hey, whatcha doing? :downs:"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Haha, Summoning Gate 2 unlock is such a clusterfuck. Hurr durr I'm Cia I'm going to run into the enemy's element-protected main base five minutes into the stage. The rough part was getting enough KOs before she died or we killed the commander just keeping him away from her. Still got it, but I have no idea how you guys are doing some of this poo poo solo :psyduck:

You can completely control when Cia advances in that stage. I forget the exact trigger but if you do things in the right order you can keep her in your base until you're ready.

I don't have a co-op partner so I've completed every stage in the game solo without cheating. It's definitely doable! Though I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on Zant's level 3 and cheesing it with a better character.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You can completely control when Cia advances in that stage. I forget the exact trigger but if you do things in the right order you can keep her in your base until you're ready.

I don't have a co-op partner so I've completed every stage in the game solo without cheating. It's definitely doable! Though I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on Zant's level 3 and cheesing it with a better character.

But high morale units absolutely SWAMP your main base and will kill her right off the bat unless you kill them off, which also seems to be the trigger. I assume there is a way, but it is one of those things that the game doesn't give you ANY info on so you just sorta flail around and hope for the best.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Cia doesn't rush the enemy base until you defeat one of the commanders.

My route for that mission was to immediately head for the fire fairy, then defeat the red VIP, then defend the allied base for about five or seven minutes. Then I took out the red commander first (since the yellow base doesn't have a barrier), farmed up the remaining kills, and that was the end of that. And I did it with the staff, not the gate.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm going to have to give that one another go with the staff, because the book just ain't doing it for me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bear in mind that, with the staff, the BBBBY combo is your captain killer. Just be sure to dash-cancel after the first hit of the strong attack (before she jumps into the air with the leaf).

It does good damage and juggles really effectively, and it's a keep clearer on top of that, and it has a lot of reach so it's relatively safe.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I'm starting to realize that when people say the Staff sucks it's because the Book is amazing and the Gate is the greatest thing in the world. I assumed that when someone said it was "bad" it was like a 2/10 on usefulness, but it's like a 9/10, the Book is 10/10, and the Gate is a billion/10. It's just not fair. Literally every combo with the Gate is stellar, I can kill all non-PC bosses in like two super-Gohmas or Argorok fireballs.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The gate is absolutely my favorite weapon in the game, I don't even bother with weakpoints. I just summon a monster, do the appropriate combo, and go to town.

I like Lana's Guardian costume better than Cia's. :)

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

they really need to spread some of the weapons around. It's a shame that the fire rod, epona, great fairy, and the gauntlets all have to compete for use on a single character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tengames posted:

they really need to spread some of the weapons around. It's a shame that the fire rod, epona, great fairy, and the gauntlets all have to compete for use on a single character.

Yeah, I'm really hoping the TP weapon is the spinner and that it's not on Link.

And that it doesn't suck.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

chumbler posted:

It can capture one keep before it's rendered useless.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What's the best way to take down the Imprisoned as Sheik on the map that leads to the level 1 gate?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's the best way to take down the Imprisoned as Sheik on the map that leads to the level 1 gate?

Always have special built up, use it to take out all the toes ASAP after the 6th pulse from the Imprisoned standing back up. Use the light song while waiting out those pulses to get more meter.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Does anyone have some pointers for the boss rush rewards map? I can't even cheese it as Sheik ffs :argh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just got the gate. How does it work?

Is there any way to control the summons that come from strong attack? Or are they just random, because I haven't found any pattern to it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The strong attack is random. If you purposely summon the same creature after that then you get three of them for a more powerful attack. Or in Argorok's case, you jump on its back and fly around burning things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

The gate is absolutely my favorite weapon in the game, I don't even bother with weakpoints. I just summon a monster, do the appropriate combo, and go to town.

I like Lana's Guardian costume better than Cia's. :)

That has been my strategy but it hasn't worked out well for me in her level 3 so far.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

That has been my strategy but it hasn't worked out well for me in her level 3 so far.

What's your Lana's level? It took me a dew tries to get it down.

I started by killing the commander to the east by standing back and throwing random summons at him, than I looped around top and hit Ghirahim. All I did for him was use my special a couple times and dropped a few monster summons until his group was weakened, I didn't waste time actually killing him. Then I looped around southwest and hit killed Impa around the time she made her way into the fairy keep. After that I charged over to the allied base to play defense. That's where you'll get most of your kills when they bumrush the base from the southwest. After I had poo poo in hand there, I went down and slapped Link around for a little bit. It took me a few tries, my first couple tries had me at like 15:xx. :saddowns:

I don't know if you've nailed the timing for Argorok yet, but if you manage to get it you can take out any one objective in a single pass.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I dunno why, but I'm reminded that so damm many were all 'Oh, this is easy, this looks easy, where's the challenge?'

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

What's your Lana's level? It took me a dew tries to get it down.

I started by killing the commander to the east by standing back and throwing random summons at him, than I looped around top and hit Ghirahim. All I did for him was use my special a couple times and dropped a few monster summons until his group was weakened, I didn't waste time actually killing him. Then I looped around southwest and hit killed Impa around the time she made her way into the fairy keep. After that I charged over to the allied base to play defense. That's where you'll get most of your kills when they bumrush the base from the southwest. After I had poo poo in hand there, I went down and slapped Link around for a little bit. It took me a few tries, my first couple tries had me at like 15:xx. :saddowns:

I don't know if you've nailed the timing for Argorok yet, but if you manage to get it you can take out any one objective in a single pass.

I think she's at about 52. Somewhere between 47 and 55, anyway. Is there timing on the first strong attack? It thought it was just randomized. I can get his combo whenever he shows up, but it seems to be rarely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They all show up about equally. Remember you don't have to use the full combo of whatever shows up. If something not useful for your current situation comes out you can just use strong attack again to get something else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

They all show up about equally. Remember you don't have to use the full combo of whatever shows up. If something not useful for your current situation comes out you can just use strong attack again to get something else.

That's normally what I do for Gohma, whose combo I always seem to flub, and for Dodongo, whose combo seems to leave me open for attack for too long.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

That's normally what I do for Gohma, whose combo I always seem to flub, and for Dodongo, whose combo seems to leave me open for attack for too long.

Get better at Gohma since it is the next best after Argorok.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bloodly posted:

I dunno why, but I'm reminded that so damm many were all 'Oh, this is easy, this looks easy, where's the challenge?'

One of my buddies was over the other day asking me if I played this and I said yeah, and I like it but it's difficult sometimes. Then he says, completely sincerely, "It's not hard, just don't ever play Adventure mode". :psyduck:

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

This game is awesome. I just unlocked Ghirahim and he's really cool and fun but feels sorta weak, any tips? I really enjoy Impa's spear and Zelda's baton, plus the gauntlets.

Also Lana is a lovely character story and design wise (but her guardian outfits cool) which makes me feel bad that her weapons are all a lot of fun :(

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The only one that I regularly reroll is Dodongo, and even then I'll use it just for clearing a keep. Manhandala stalks are great too, even just the strong attack non-combo one. The poison field slows them down enough for me to drop another summon on them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Manhandla is great because it gives you some time to get the next combo in without getting smacked. I'm happy to break out the Dodongo trio as long as I'm not swamped by officers, but I feel like I have to avoid it then. I guess I'll have to practice more with Gohma (somehow I always either do Manhandla or Argorak instead).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Octolady posted:

This game is awesome. I just unlocked Ghirahim and he's really cool and fun but feels sorta weak, any tips? I really enjoy Impa's spear and Zelda's baton, plus the gauntlets.

Also Lana is a lovely character story and design wise (but her guardian outfits cool) which makes me feel bad that her weapons are all a lot of fun :(

Ghirahim's main gimmick is marking his target with his strong attack, which makes most of his strong combo enders deal more damage to the marked enemy and anything near it. Without that his damage is somewhat middling. Also note that his different combos are pretty specialized and some of them you don't want to finish unless you want to style.

Overall he's a really well rounded character with no major flaws, and is probably the best designed in the game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jibo posted:

One of my buddies was over the other day asking me if I played this and I said yeah, and I like it but it's difficult sometimes. Then he says, completely sincerely, "It's not hard, just don't ever play Adventure mode". :psyduck:

Yeah I guess if you only play the first 10% of the game it's not that hard. :psyduck: Adventure is the best part of this game!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I never knew Ghirahim's strong attack homing knives could be canceled to the point of making them rapid fire. I rarely used them since they weren't that great until now. It's pretty crazy being able to throw twenty volley's of them in one tether.

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

Marogareh posted:

The last one took me a while to find since it's right in the middle of the regular adventure map on D8.

Thanks, that did for me. Just so everyone knows, this applies to the 1200 KO skutella

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

chumbler posted:

Midna w/ Spinner would be great.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The more I think about it, the more I want it to be the Spirit of the Hero as the playable character.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Wouldn't that just be more Master Sword, though? Seems kind of redundant.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Midna w/ Spinner would be great.

I had this thought the other day and found it very amusing. Spinner Zant would also be pretty hilarious. The only other TP weapon I could see them getting creative with would be the Dominion Rod, which would be a neat weapon for Link or even Zelda.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 4, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Well, maybe an outfit for Link.

Also, I'll refer to my earlier post about my dream Twilight Princess character.

larchesdanrew posted:

I secretly want Shad as a joke character. All his moves will be him referring to his research on the subweapons Link found in the game and trying to use them, but failing miserably as he screams in terror and is flung around the battlefield on the spinner, shot across the battlefield with dual hookshots, or is chased down by a rampaging statue he's possessed with the dominion rod. :allears:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've sunk a lot of time into this game, so I feel like a dumbass for not realizing something. Until yesterday, I didn't notice that the game shows you which keep the chest for the boss key will be in when the message for "search for the key to the enemy base" pops up. I also did not know that you could then check the Battle Log in the pause menu and look at that message and the highlighted keep again, just in case you didn't see it due to some hectic fighting.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I've sunk a lot of time into this game, so I feel like a dumbass for not realizing something. Until yesterday, I didn't notice that the game shows you which keep the chest for the boss key will be in when the message for "search for the key to the enemy base" pops up. I also did not know that you could then check the Battle Log in the pause menu and look at that message and the highlighted keep again, just in case you didn't see it due to some hectic fighting.

I didn't know that either. :stare: It's usually pretty obvious which one it is though. It's either the elemental keep, or the one that's kind of out of the way

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have no idea how it'd work, but the dual hookshots would make an amazing weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
My SO and I just unlocked the last (non-DLC) weapon the other day. Having a co-op partner to help out really does take a lot of the frustration away from some of the stages, although the frustration can be redirected at your partner sometimes. I am glad our relationship survived somehow.

We waited until the last unlock to start the Master Quest map, and I'm glad we went this route, as it's rather relaxing taking on the early, easy Master Quest stages with our now-godlike characters.

Also, choosing Epona while wearing the Dark Link skin completely slayed me. Why is this game so amazing?

• Locked thread