Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Here is the ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Sams club will have the 60" vizio 4k set for $998 on 11/15. BB pricematches sams club if you arn't a member.

Think it's even worth waiting for Black Friday, or is this good enough?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Drunk Badger posted:

Think it's even worth waiting for Black Friday, or is this good enough?

I would not expect a better price on this tv at black friday except maybe a doorbuster somewhere.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Meanwhile in Australia the only 4k telly in town costs 20,000. Of course it's also 84", but still, gently caress that. I just bought (going on a year now, actually) a 64" Samsung and I figure by the time 4k rolls around in proper numbers it'll be breaking down anyway. Going from one of the cheap-ish early plasmas to a high quality end-of-tech one was mindblowing incidentally.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Loomer posted:

Meanwhile in Australia the only 4k telly in town costs 20,000. Of course it's also 84", but still, gently caress that. I just bought (going on a year now, actually) a 64" Samsung and I figure by the time 4k rolls around in proper numbers it'll be breaking down anyway. Going from one of the cheap-ish early plasmas to a high quality end-of-tech one was mindblowing incidentally.

Only $20k? Buy buy buy!

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-85-s9000-series-120hz-4k-ultra-smart-tv-un85s9afxzc-un85s9afxzc/10247699.aspx

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is that a black friday ad and in-store only?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Is that a black friday ad and in-store only?

11/15 only. In store and online.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp only 14 more days to convince my wife

Edit: has anyone confirmed price matching? I have a feeling it being labeled as "Event price" means that they won't price match it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 2, 2014

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

sellouts posted:

Welp only 14 more days to convince my wife

Edit: has anyone confirmed price matching? I have a feeling it being labeled as "Event price" means that they won't price match it.

You should check out this thread on slickdeals. If anyone gets a price match it will be those rabid deal whores (because I'm one of them).

http://slickdeals.net/f/7306786-vizio-p602ui-b3-4k-60-hdtv-998-sams-club-on-11-15-reg-price-1699?v=1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 60F8500 has now dropped to $1699

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN60F8500-60-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00BCPGZOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414937717&sr=8-1&keywords=60f8500

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...s=960&keys=keys

The 51" is $1199

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 2, 2014

tngffl
May 6, 2008

Can the mover's deal thing from best buy be used on this new price?

This is ridiculously tempting as is......time to start to convince the wife.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

You should check out this thread on slickdeals. If anyone gets a price match it will be those rabid deal whores (because I'm one of them).

http://slickdeals.net/f/7306786-vizio-p602ui-b3-4k-60-hdtv-998-sams-club-on-11-15-reg-price-1699?v=1

Eh. I will probably try my luck online. I'm not waiting in line for a TV overnight at some Sam's club in torrance

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

tngffl posted:

No, I believe the F8500 is excluded from the mover's coupon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tngffl posted:

No. Movers guide excludes premium Samsung tvs

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm gonna sell my two year old E series 60" and get down on that Samsung. Inky blacks, here i come!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I picked up a Sony KDL48W600B for ~$700 OTD. It's not a great bargain or any kind of TV to write home about, but I'm upgrading from a Westinghouse 37W3 from the stone ages so it's literally blowing me away at every turn. I'll invest in something more expensive once 4K becomes a "thing". Until then I really only use it for the occasional PS4 game and watching NHL :)

I may have gone more expensive or impressive, but the room I'm using it in is literally limited to like a 50" at most because it's tiny, and the 48" seems to be doing the trick just fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

Yeah I'm gonna sell my two year old E series 60" and get down on that Samsung. Inky blacks, here i come!

Not to be a downer, the F8500 has inky blacks, but dont expect them to be off black in a blacked out room, you can still see some glow in a plasma. Its totally not an issue though and the blacks are amazing on the set, especially in dark scenes when you can have black and light next to each other.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I have the F8500 64" and yeah, it's noticeably lighter than 'true black' in the dark. But it's really not distracting after the first minute of watching and if you're not watching in darkness that poo poo is inky as hell. Still, they're just about the best blacks you can get in a plasma and the only way to get rid of that very slight glow is to go OLED. If its not too pricey, gently caress yeah, go for it. It'll blow people away when you have them for movie night.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm coming from an edge lit LED tv so it's definitely going to be an improvement.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1997 posted:

Yeah I'm coming from an edge lit LED tv so it's definitely going to be an improvement.

The screen uniformity will blow you away.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I am looking to get a 55" to 60" TV to upgrade my setup. Which is better for me to target an OLED TV or a 4K TV? Is there enough of a difference between the 2 to warrant paying the difference in price?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Itll take a few years for 4k to become standard. If you can afford upgrades every few years, I'd say go OLED instead and reevaluate in two to four years. 4k prices will have dropped some, and like early plasmas and LEDs, a lot of the affordable AND large 4K televisions are using less than ideal panels. Better to have better image quality at 1080 than poor panel performance at 4k. If you think this might be your last bit of money for a while and want to future proof, 4k.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dalstrs posted:

I am looking to get a 55" to 60" TV to upgrade my setup. Which is better for me to target an OLED TV or a 4K TV? Is there enough of a difference between the 2 to warrant paying the difference in price?

Oled baby.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

At that size i'd totally go OLED too over 4k; it has all of the perks of an emissive display (uniformity, motion, viewing angles) and all of the advantages of an LCD (no need for a glass layer, bright room performance, perfect blacks like FALD) rolled into one. You can find the 2014 55" for a little over 3 grand and the 2013 for under 3 grand now.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Next-Gen posted:

At that size i'd totally go OLED too over 4k; it has all of the perks of an emissive display (uniformity, motion, viewing angles) and all of the advantages of an LCD (no need for a glass layer, bright room performance, perfect blacks like FALD) rolled into one. You can find the 2014 55" for a little over 3 grand and the 2013 for under 3 grand now.

Is there enough of a performance upgrade to need a 2014 over a 2013. Also is it better to wait and see what the Black Friday deals are going to look like?

Human Allusion
Jan 27, 2008
You ever flown a flying saucer? Afterwards, sex seems trite.
Before pulling the trigger, it's worth noting the the LG OLED's have some pretty significant video processing issues that tend to get overlooked due to the "HOLY poo poo, LOOK AT THESE BLACKS" effect - most notable of which is its built-in DNR.

The motion resolution is pretty disappointing as well (only 300 lines native, even some LCDs can do better than that), and the 2013 models also tended to suffer from problems with image retention and stuck pixels.

I would say if you're upgrading from a LCD then go with the 4K as it's guaranteed to be better than what you have now at a lower cost, if you currently have a plasma then go OLED since the 4K sets blacks will be a noticeable step down for you.

Also if you do decide to go OLED you may want to wait as LG are supposed to be introducing more flat screen OLED's in early 2015, if the whole curved screen thing bothers you.

Human Allusion fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 4, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, I've got a weird question. I've got an old Best Buy brand LCD TV. Not super old, but about 5 years. It's been relegated to being my secondary TV because the lower left hand side of it has a weird issue where it seems to lag slightly behind the rest of the image. The area is roughly this size and shape:

Anyone have any idea why this is? It doesn't do it all the time, and switching inputs or turning the TV on and off fixes it. It does it on every HDMI port.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Just wanted to run this by the thread before making a purchase. I want to upgrade from my old 37'' Vizio I've had since around 2007. Main uses will be gaming and bluray/netflix.

http://www.sears.com/samsung-40-class-1080p-120hz-led-smart-tv/p-05772403000P

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HelmetCheese posted:

Just wanted to run this by the thread before making a purchase. I want to upgrade from my old 37'' Vizio I've had since around 2007. Main uses will be gaming and bluray/netflix.

http://www.sears.com/samsung-40-class-1080p-120hz-led-smart-tv/p-05772403000P

The 6xxx series apparently has super slow smarttv functions so as long as you arn't using the built in apps im sure its fine.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
So I'm trying to decide between the vizio P-series (especially with the deal on the 15th coming up) and Samsung H7150 60" sets. I have a really bright room during the day, and I'm confused by Rtings' "bright room" performance test. They rate the vizio at 9.5 and the samsung at 9.0, but looking at the pictures they provide, the Samsung looks MUCH better. You can still see the picture through the glare on the samsung, whereas on the vizio it's totally blown out.

What am I missing here? Why is the Vizio rated better in this regard?

P-series:

H7150:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the nicker posted:

So I'm trying to decide between the vizio P-series (especially with the deal on the 15th coming up) and Samsung H7150 60" sets. I have a really bright room during the day, and I'm confused by Rtings' "bright room" performance test. They rate the vizio at 9.5 and the samsung at 9.0, but looking at the pictures they provide, the Samsung looks MUCH better. You can still see the picture through the glare on the samsung, whereas on the vizio it's totally blown out.

What am I missing here? Why is the Vizio rated better in this regard?

P-series:

H7150:

Its because the p series gets 25% brighter than the H7150.

Also that test is more to show what reflections look like, its possible that it was a brighter day when they took the p series photo. The main thing is is it a sharp reflection or a diffused reflection. Most people would prefer a diffused one.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 4, 2014

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm buying my first tv in 8 years. I currently have a 42" Panasonic 720P plasma with no speakers or tuner, but I don't recall the specific model.

I want to get something that will be relatively future proof, so I was leaning towards the Samsung 8550 for the 3d and 4k. I currently have a 360 and a PS3 hooked up, I don't have any of the next gen consoles but I'm planning on getting one in the future.

Is this a good choice, or can I spend my money more wisely? I really don't want to go over 2K for the tv.

I'm not overly worried about the speakers on the tv as I have a nice surround system set up, I'm mostly concerned with picture quality.

The biggest TV I can get is 30" vertically due to a tv stand we have, which seems to plop me right into a 55" tv pretty much perfectly. I could probably move it up to 60 but with the center channel speaker where it's located it would be getting snug in the unit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm buying my first tv in 8 years. I currently have a 42" Panasonic 720P plasma with no speakers or tuner, but I don't recall the specific model.

I want to get something that will be relatively future proof, so I was leaning towards the Samsung 8550 for the 3d and 4k. I currently have a 360 and a PS3 hooked up, I don't have any of the next gen consoles but I'm planning on getting one in the future.

Is this a good choice, or can I spend my money more wisely? I really don't want to go over 2K for the tv.

I'm not overly worried about the speakers on the tv as I have a nice surround system set up, I'm mostly concerned with picture quality.

The biggest TV I can get is 30" vertically due to a tv stand we have, which seems to plop me right into a 55" tv pretty much perfectly. I could probably move it up to 60 but with the center channel speaker where it's located it would be getting snug in the unit.

See if the F8500 plasma fits.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Don Lapre posted:

See if the F8500 plasma fits.

51" does, but 60 doesn't. Is that 4" going to make a radical difference in screen size?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id rather have a 51" plasma then a 55" lcd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 51" F8500 has inferior picture quality to the 60+" (higher black levels being one of the things.) That's chief among the reasons why I went with a W900A rather than an F8500. I might have bought the 60" F8500 if it had a functional stand rather than an art piece.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The 51" F8500 has inferior picture quality to the 60+" (higher black levels being one of the things.) That's chief among the reasons why I went with a W900A rather than an F8500. I might have bought the 60" F8500 if it had a functional stand rather than an art piece.

Even with worse black levels than the 60+ its still gonna be a more consistent picture with no light leakage and perfect uniformity. If anything get the old 850 rather than the new 900

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Even with worse black levels than the 60+ its still gonna be a more consistent picture with no light leakage and perfect uniformity. If anything get the old 850 rather than the new 900

W900A is not the new 900 (that's the 900B.) It's the 2013 model which is superior to any 1080p TV Sony is putting out this year.

No TV has perfect uniformity. I've owned plasma and they have their flaws like everything else. I would have been willing to give Samsung a chance to be better than Panasonic, but I sure as hell wasn't going down in size and their 60" model didn't fit on my TV stand due to the base design.

Besides all that, I'm now a "true believer" in Sony's motion processing being superior to anything else on the market. Even if I could snap my fingers and fix my ST50, I don't think I would go back to it. The Sony is so much better at processing motion than anything I've seen on the Panasonic side.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HDTV Black Friday 2014 Megathread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
If I buy a Vizio m492i-b2 to replace my 7 year old VX32L will I be making a decent choice?

Room is a bit smaller, so I don't want to go larger then 50", and my budget is max $600. Anyone have a better choice? Going to use it for a bit of gaming and some movie and tv. Don't care about smart features but if they're there it's cool.