Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sickening posted:

The current decklists would change, the format would live on.

It really wouldn't. Type 1.5 was a much worse format than Legacy and had extremely limited appeal when it was nothing more than Type 1's bastard offspring. I know because I played it fairly extensively after the dual lands rotated out of Extended. Separating the B/R lists was the best change WotC ever made to the eternal formats, because it allowed Legacy to come into its own in a way that 1.5 never could. Even if you don't understand why the B/R lists need to be be separated (and they really do), it should be immediately obvious that this suggestion doesn't actually do anything to address Legacy's fundamental issues as a format which are all related to price/availability of cards on the reserved list.

Except indirectly by killing off interest in the eternal formats. It's a really bad idea, and one that I don't think would be advocated by anyone who actually liked/understood the format.

edit:
Derp I totally misread that, and I apologize. I still think its a bad idea, because a major part of Legacy is to get to play with all the cards (that aren't so broken they make the format unplayable). The solution to the long term issues the reserved list creates for the game isn't to cripple the existing eternal formats because of adherence to a badly thought through decision made in 1996. It's to fix the reserved list policy. Or if they really can't let it go, create a new eternal format between Legacy and Modern that incorporates all the non-reserved cards (and reprint the heck out of the expensive non-reserved staples like FoW/Wasteland/etc). That format might have some popularity issues because of the (fair) perception that it's the poor cousin of the full-on Legacy experience, but I'd be surprised if it didn't eventually eclipse Modern because the addition of Legacy staples like Force/Daze/Waste/etc. would make the format significantly more resilient than it currently is against fast combo and the like and wouldn't require WotC to manage the banned list with such a heavy hand to keep its hothouse flower of a format viable.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You don't have to do this though? Not if you're smart about what you trade/buy/sell. I traded almost entirely into my current standard deck by trading rotating cards for non-rotating cards a few months before rotation and before the rotating cards dropped in value. I bought a few new cards, but if you're willing to play a cheaper deck for the last few months and hang on to non-rotating trade fodder for a bit before rotation you can enter the new standard pretty cheap.
Most people have the most room for improvement on the trading aspect of the trading card game, and it amazes me when they brush it off because they are bad at it because they can pretend that they are bad because they have less money. Drafting Khans has subsidized my modern decks on an amazing level, and the standard constructed dudes love me for having a grip of rares that I have no attachment to that I will swap for things that are no longer playable for them. It doesn't even take more time, you just say "trades" between rounds of draft.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Most people have the most room for improvement on the trading aspect of the trading card game, and it amazes me when they brush it off because they are bad at it because they can pretend that they are bad because they have less money. Drafting Khans has subsidized my modern decks on an amazing level, and the standard constructed dudes love me for having a grip of rares that I have no attachment to that I will swap for things that are no longer playable for them. It doesn't even take more time, you just say "trades" between rounds of draft.

I have no desire to sit there and trade with people when I can be playing commander between rounds. I'm also not going to sit there and time the rotations of cards and plan on changing my decks around early and blah blah blah. I have plenty of money, I just have no desire to spend it on standard since the good net decks cost a lot.

UB Control looks interesting and I already have most of it so I might go that route if I choose to get back into it, which I probably won't. It also doesn't help that I have to be at my restaurant on Fridays so FNM is out for me for the foreseeable future.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Making effective trades requires having an extensive knowledge of card prices and a good sense of where they're going, which to a lot of people (self included) is a lot more like work than fun. If you calculated your net profit from casually trading and divide it by the time you spend, I have the feeling you'd barely break minimum wage.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's a red herring because it implies someone would hire you to work between rounds. Also, if you draft, you are also working on card knowledge and evaluating card value. You'll know what the 20 or so cards in standard that go for more that 10 bucks pretty quickly, I'm not talking about capitalizing on 3 cent swings on uncommons or anything, though if you enjoy it, that could be cool. I know Nyxfleece Ram made me some dough out of nowhere.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 4, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

What does it mean to be good at trading?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It could mean a dollar for dollar comparison, but I view it as turning cards you will not play into cards you intend on playing or find interesting. It ends up improving your collection immensely with no more outlay than the time than it takes to wait for the dude playing outlast to wrap it up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

I meant on purpose. I think they honestly just didn't test the Loot Boat enough in Modern or legacy to realize how good it is when you build around it.

And has Dig Through Time actually been doing as much? In Modern it seems like just Cruise ripping everything up with nary a Dig to be seen. Is Dig a thing in Legacy?

R&D doesn't test for eternal formats and for Modern, I believe.

And if they weren't running 4 of Cruise they would happily run 4 of Dig.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You don't have to value grind your collection every single FNM dudes, just trade/sell valuable standard cards whenever you have the chance and get eternal stuff.

I dropped out of a tournament once when a dude offered to buy my Thundermaw Hellkite for 60.00 dollars, like I cast it he said "Whoah, ill give you 60 bucks for that" and I scooped.

People are really dumb about how they spend their money when it comes to Magic.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

It could mean a dollar for dollar comparison, but I view it as turning cards you will not play into cards you intend on playing or find interesting. It ends up improving your collection immensely with no more outlay than the time than it takes to wait for the dude playing outlast to wrap it up.

"Hey did anyone bring trades?" *one guy opens binder to show me some poo poo that's only playable in EDH, mixed in with some stuff he was too lazy to trade away at the end of the last few standard seasons*

And no one's ever willing to just give me cash for what I have on me even though I always offer good prices. Like, lower than TCG Low just due to there being no hassle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That's a red herring because it implies someone would hire you to work between rounds. Also, if you draft, you are also working on card knowledge and evaluating card value. You'll know what the 20 or so cards in standard that go for more that 10 bucks pretty quickly, I'm not talking about capitalizing on 3 cent swings on uncommons or anything, though if you enjoy it, that could be cool. I know Nyxfleece Ram made me some dough out of nowhere.

Hiring between rounds? What? What kind of moronic poo poo is this? :frogout:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Also the formats that most people tend to have trades and standard playables at are standard, so if you don't already have a deck it's hard to be around people that will help you build one. Obviously going to drafts helps but not always enough, I don't think.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I dropped out of a tournament once when a dude offered to buy my Thundermaw Hellkite for 60.00 dollars, like I cast it he said "Whoah, ill give you 60 bucks for that" and I scooped.

:psyduck:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

Hiring between rounds? What? What kind of moronic poo poo is this? :frogout:
How else am I supposed to make over minimum wage during the 15 minutes I'm shooting the poo poo and swapping cards? Not making minimum wage from hanging out and getting rid of cards you don't need is apparently something worth considering.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Zoness posted:

What does it mean to be good at trading?

Being a good trader is directly proportional to how cool you are with being a bad person. I'm cool with it because I'm a cheap Scottish bastard

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I was out of contention for Top 8 at an IQ and playing it out since my buddy was still in it and we rode together, its a hyperbolic example but I will gladly trade/sell anything I'm using for eternal staples and good cash offers. Who cares if I have to play some jank at FNM for three weeks, it's better than looking at playset of Revelations in your binder you should have sold when it was 60 dollars.

You mention you are poor and could never afford U-Seas, I'm a full time student with spotty employment and I've managed to get a playset of dual lands, tons of expensive legacy playables, a playset of pretty much anything in Modern, and even some power and all it cost me besides my time was being willing to sell or trade anything in my collection at any time for something that wouldn't be worthless in a year.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Spiderdrake posted:

Cube is the best everything about Magic. I wish the cube thread saw more discussion :(

Cube is great to bad the cube most people want to play costs like $8000.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Bit of a politics question related to EDH and the age-old serious vs fun standoff:

Having played EDH a few times now borrowing friends' decks I've been having a blast! Everyone is really silly and forgiving of me being slow looking at the cards I've never heard of. Definitely cemented my choice for the black precon to get into things more and maybe the white one if I feel like building the BW deck of my dreams. It's always pretty good and we're getting to know each other's decks too, which has some interesting effects on people's plays.

However, there's one guy who seems hellbent on winning, far more than anyone else; while we're all dicking around with various politics plays and stack malarkey, he'll sit there countering everything that affects him, and after a point we just lose suddenly to being milled out within 1 turn.

I understand that part of EDH is targeting the bigger threat players and whatnot, but the general consensus behind closed doors is not to play with this dude if possible because this apparently happens every time. Is there a way to handle this situation beyond telling him not to bring Mono Blue Azami because it's a funsucker? This is probably an open-shut question, but being newer to the politics behind this I have no idea what the situation is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If my brother in law is selling his old cards, would it be worth it to try getting a playset of USeas/Forces?

Reanimator owns bones and I think that's the deck I'd like to play forever

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Wicked Wall posted:

I understand that part of EDH is targeting the bigger threat players and whatnot, but the general consensus behind closed doors is not to play with this dude if possible because this apparently happens every time. Is there a way to handle this situation beyond telling him not to bring Mono Blue Azami because it's a funsucker? This is probably an open-shut question, but being newer to the politics behind this I have no idea what the situation is.

Do what I did: don't play with him. Or if your friends aren't as lame as mine, convince them to just keep playing when someone combos off.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Wicked Wall posted:

This is probably an open-shut question, but being newer to the politics behind this I have no idea what the situation is.

The bottom line is play with who you want.

If you and your playgroup are butthurt enough about someone winning and ruining your EDH durdlefest then at least have the balls to tell the guy "We don't want to play with you because you win a lot and ruin our EDH durdlefest"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Wicked Wall posted:

Bit of a politics question related to EDH and the age-old serious vs fun standoff:

Having played EDH a few times now borrowing friends' decks I've been having a blast! Everyone is really silly and forgiving of me being slow looking at the cards I've never heard of. Definitely cemented my choice for the black precon to get into things more and maybe the white one if I feel like building the BW deck of my dreams. It's always pretty good and we're getting to know each other's decks too, which has some interesting effects on people's plays.

However, there's one guy who seems hellbent on winning, far more than anyone else; while we're all dicking around with various politics plays and stack malarkey, he'll sit there countering everything that affects him, and after a point we just lose suddenly to being milled out within 1 turn.

Anyone have a deck with Blue in it? Tell them to run Ice Cave.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Was pretty stoked to see block constructed is back on MTGO.

Was less stoked when I realized it's basically the same goddamn Abzan decks dominating standard except with worse removal to allow some diversity. Control is basically unplayable with the current cards available.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
As a competitive EDH player I can understand why you get mad at people ruining the dicking around. I get mad at combo commander sometimes.

That being said tell everyone playing green to put a choke in their deck also guttural response and tsunami
Anyone playing red needs to have a boil, red elemental and pyroblast as well as guttural. Sirroco is also funny
Red green players should have monsoon and vexing shusher.

Other hate includes city of solitude, dosan the falling leaf, boiling seas, omen of fire, hall of gemstones, wake of destruction, the anti blue list goes on and on.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 5, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a competitive EDH player

That's a thing, or do you mean in the "playing to win" sense?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
When I build a cube it's just gonna be 100% ROE, with Drana and Gideon thrown out. Relatively cheap and guaranteed to be awesome.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Anyone who plays Blood Moon in Commander is literally Satan, or at the very least Allocer.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

Well when there is a commander tourney I will play in it before anything else, but our decks are tuned like crazy and pretty drat expensive in order to win most of the time. Stupid stuff like full duals and shocks, every fetch that can matter, full sets if swords and jitters and baterskulls, etc.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Making effective trades requires having an extensive knowledge of card prices and a good sense of where they're going
This was true in 1997 but not at all true today. I'm sure that between the two of you and the half dozen or so people milling about at FNM that one of you has a smartphone and can look up tcgplayer on it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yawgmoth posted:

This was true in 1997 but not at all true today. I'm sure that between the two of you and the half dozen or so people milling about at FNM that one of you has a smartphone and can look up tcgplayer on it.

I think he is saying more you can forecast the price of cards, not look them up. Like should I trade my foil dig through time right now for 2 polluted deltas? Is say gently caress yes. But who knows since dig through time is seeing modern and legacy play now.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If my brother in law is selling his old cards, would it be worth it to try getting a playset of USeas/Forces?

Reanimator owns bones and I think that's the deck I'd like to play forever
Go for it, why not.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

Man I wish I could trade at tcgplayer prices.
Everyone here is SCG or bust. :sigh:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Rinkles posted:

There are some very competitive commander leagues on modo.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Yeah man. Commander is a game for friends. If someone is playing TO WIN too extremely then they're missing out

I like the playgroup that says things like "sure, [card X] isn't that expensive. But it's [too good/not fun]"

The best plays are the ones where you go "this isn't the best play strategically, but I can't resist going for this really wacky super-interaction that's not likely to ever come up again"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Man I wish I could trade at tcgplayer prices.
Everyone here is SCG or bust. :sigh:

That's even better for you.

EDIT: To explain SCG is almost always the highest costs on the market. There will be different spreads for different cards (difference between the highest costs and the lowest costs in the market) and that leaves you an opportunity to get lots of value. For example Thoughtseize is around 18.00 on TCG, and 30.00 on SCG, meanwhile shocks are much closer with differences in pricing from 1-2 dollars. If you take your high spread playset of Thoughtseize and trade at SCG prices for Shocklands, and then trade or sell those cards for market bottom, you come out way ahead than if you sold traded your playset of Thoughtseize at the low end of the market.

If you trade at SCG prices simply be aware of the spread between TCG and SCG and trade your high spread items for low spread items, then sell them or trade them elsewhere and get better value.

I'd love to be trading in a place where people demanded SCG be used to set prices.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 5, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tonetta posted:

There are some very competitive commander leagues on modo.

My Skullbriar homebrew is at an uncomfortable level between too good for casual and not good enough for competitive. Most people just scoop when I attack on turn 1, and I lose the majority of matches where my opponent actually sticks around.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deftest posted:

Yeah man. Commander is a game for friends. If someone is playing TO WIN too extremely then they're missing out

I like the playgroup that says things like "sure, [card X] isn't that expensive. But it's [too good/not fun]"

The best plays are the ones where you go "this isn't the best play strategically, but I can't resist going for this really wacky super-interaction that's not likely to ever come up again"

I think it's important that we all understand that we all want different things out of commander.

Personally I want sol ring and mana crypt banned and the green titan and primordial back in. Also Nachos Rancheros with a side of Sharuums. I've won a surprisingly nonzero number of games with a deck that's solely U/B draft dregs with Wydwen as the general.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 5, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

deftest posted:

My definition of fun is strictly better than your definition.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Wicked Wall posted:

If you don't like the way someone plays in your completely voluntary casual group, grow a pair, act like an adult, and motherfucking tell them to their face instead of being a passive-aggressive wallflower.

If they are a person worth having in your group, they'll make an effort to change. If they bitch and moan, cut them loose. But if your group can't nut up and be direct about it, find a new group. And a spine.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

If you don't like the way someone plays in your completely voluntary casual group, grow a pair, act like an adult, and motherfucking tell them to their face instead of being a passive-aggressive wallflower.

If they are a person worth having in your group, they'll make an effort to change. If they bitch and moan, cut them loose. But if your group can't nut up and be direct about it, find a new group. And a spine.

To be fair I think one of the mentioned options was to tell the guy something to his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

To be fair I think one of the mentioned options was to tell the guy something to his face.

I'm only capable of reading 50% of any ~EDH Politics~ post by volume. Any more than that, and I have to go take my meds.

• Locked thread