Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Taiga's payoff scenes made it pretty worth it and redeemed the stereotypical tsundere behavior earlier on IMO. Don't anger Cake Attack, you'll regret it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, I guess I'm going on a grand tour of lovely LN garbage

Have you watched Hataraku Maou-sama/The Devil is a Part-Timer yet?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Have you watched Hataraku Maou-sama/The Devil is a Part-Timer yet?

Nope, I'll add those to the list

Cake Attack posted:

watching the dub helps because the dub is pretty good and she's not rie kugimaya again

I didn't like the MC's voice in the dub from the 3 minutes of it I watched, I'll try it again

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Razzled posted:

Taiga's payoff scenes made it pretty worth it and redeemed the stereotypical tsundere behavior earlier on IMO. Don't anger Cake Attack, you'll regret it

/

what i do irl to people hating on toradora

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

/

what i do irl to people hating on toradora

Imagine a tsundere slapping a human face forever etc etc

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

icantfindaname posted:

I didn't like the MC's voice in the dub from the 3 minutes of it I watched, I'll try it again

The Devil Is A Part Timer is loving brilliant and I wish it had lasted longer. It was really funny.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Haibane's a show I can appreciate, and I like many elements of it like the music and the art, but I can't bring myself to like the show overall. I felt that the world was far more interesting than the character drama, and it hints at enough mysteries to make me want to learn more about the world, but nothing come of it at the end. I was disappointed by that.

Still, it's a fantastic show, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching it.

If you liked that aspect of the show and would like to know a little about the world (or rather, one that it was at least partially based on), try reading Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland At The End of The World (this is a novel mind you, not a manga or anything)

It's pretty great, though entirely bizarre, almost scifi, and very very impressionistic rather than concrete about a long of things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

icantfindaname posted:

You should probably move it to the top of said list

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't know what anyone else is talking about other than toradora being really good but Sket Dance is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Super good. Consistently funny, silly and chill, with some pretty crazy bits. I'm on episode 50 out of 70ish, and it's been a great ride so far.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Starting to get a fix for a good shounen. I've heard good things about the latest rendition of Hunter x Hunter. Is it free of filler? Probably the best shounen I've seen is FMA Brotherhood, any particular comparisons to be made?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cubemario posted:

Starting to get a fix for a good shounen. I've heard good things about the latest rendition of Hunter x Hunter. Is it free of filler? Probably the best shounen I've seen is FMA Brotherhood, any particular comparisons to be made?

Hunter x Hunter isn't a tightly plotted story with a defined endpoint like FMA in the first place, but there's no filler original to the show either. Both have excellent character writing for the genre, with the biggest difference being that Ed and Al are very morally driven while Gon is almost like an animal, he's immensely loyal but at the same time almost totally unconcerned with right and wrong.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Razzled posted:

The Devil Is A Part Timer is loving brilliant and I wish it had lasted longer. It was really funny.
I really liked the first few episodes of that, but then it became less mundane and thus less funny. Does it get mundane again, or does it just keep escalating until the end of the season?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chas McGill posted:

I really liked the first few episodes of that, but then it became less mundane and thus less funny. Does it get mundane again, or does it just keep escalating until the end of the season?

I guess it depends on where it got mundane for you, I think it was pretty funny even through the end. Even while it was getting a little more serious action/tone-wise it never really lost sight of what it was under the skin.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cubemario posted:

HxH is fantastic, definitely watch it. Another good one is Yu Yu Hakusho. Make sure you watch the dub for that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

It rises and falls. If it helps, the last episode is completely mundane and has the goofiest faces. I'd suggest finishing it.

Cubemario posted:

Imo, HxH (the recent one) is the pinnacle of shounen show, and what I wish all shounen shows aspired to be like. What I've heard in the thread is that it closely follows the manga, so the majority of what filler there is comes directly from the manga. That said, I didn't feel like there was much filler at all. All of it was at least worth watching.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Imo, HxH (the recent one) is the pinnacle of shounen show, and what I wish all shounen shows aspired to be like. watching.

I agree with this. It basically has all the strengths of a good shounen show without most of its weaknesses. In my mind, a good shounen show is basically what would result from a child with an incredibly good imagination playing with action figures.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Imo, HxH (the recent one) is the pinnacle of shounen show, and what I wish all shounen shows aspired to be like. What I've heard in the thread is that it closely follows the manga, so the majority of what filler there is comes directly from the manga. That said, I didn't feel like there was much filler at all. All of it was at least worth watching.

I don't know much about HxH, but didn't the manga go on indefinite hiatus? And the recent series ended, right? Did it just stop in the middle of the story?

I'm always up for good shounen shows but I don't really want to start another one that doesn't end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TheEye posted:

I don't know much about HxH, but didn't the manga go on indefinite hiatus? And the recent series ended, right? Did it just stop in the middle of the story?

The manga recently started again after an extremely long hiatus.

The anime ends at roughly the point that the manga originally went on break, which was a natural stopping point and while it isn't the definitive end of the series it resolves the main thread of the plot up till that point.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It ends on a really good point which is a pretty solid ending point that the manga could have ended on. Basically it finishes the main character's plot thread, and the only loose ends are for characters you wouldn't have seen for 60 episodes anyways.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly, I felt that the Chimera Ant arc in HxH kind of dragged in its last third or so. Like there were a lot of episodes for what was less than an hour in plot time, and the episodes seemed to rely more than usual on recap time, especially the one (I think 112?) that had the pre-OP recap three times longer than usual. I also got really annoyed with the narrator explaining everything rather showing, which just dragged everything down ever more.

To be fair, a lot of my bitterness could be because of my favorite character getting absolutely no mention for like 80+ episodes despite always being in the OP, and I do think the arc finished up really strong. I like that HxH in general doesn't have any of the standard shounen big bad vs. protagonists beatdowns; it's always either some kind of trickery or constrained by rules or someone else entirely who engages the villain.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The manga recently started again after an extremely long hiatus.

And then went on hiatus again.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

It's a swoopy graph, there's big battle scenes and then it goes back to everyday life. It ends on an episode about multi-level marketing. Skip episode 10, it's mundane but also really bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Devil Tesla posted:

And then went on hiatus again.

Why does it go on haitus? It seems like they'd actually make money if they actually made the comic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Drifter posted:

Why does it go on haitus? It seems like they'd actually make money if they actually made the comic.

Sometimes the chapter put out looks like this:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

If you're a fan of Togashi, it's because he has some mysterious medical condition. If you're not a fan of Togashi, it's because he's lazy and knows that Jump would never drop him.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, he can't be completely lazy since he works as an editor on other Jump manga series. Complete mystery on why he's unable to work on his own series though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Working as an editor and authoring a series are completely different ballparks

if i knew i was popular enough that i wouldn't get dropped id definitely say gently caress these insane weekly deadlines and just do a chapter whenever

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Sengoku Basara any good? I've been playing alot of Samurai Warriors 4 lately and I'm craving some more crazy sengoku stuff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Sometimes the chapter put out looks like this:

Don't forget this:

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 5, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

404 - Not Found.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Sengoku Basara any good? I've been playing alot of Samurai Warriors 4 lately and I'm craving some more crazy sengoku stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkLA-5j0AA

Yes.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Nate RFB posted:

If you're a fan of Togashi, it's because he has some mysterious medical condition. If you're not a fan of Togashi, it's because he's lazy and knows that Jump would never drop him.

It's not mysterious, dude hurt his back.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tarodia posted:

It's not mysterious, dude hurt his back.

Isn't he the one who had a terrible contract with Jump (or some other publisher), wanted to take some time off or make some kind of decision, they were complete dicks to him, and so he made them take it up the rear end when they wanted to retain him after his contract ended? Did I read that?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Recommend me fun, not too complicated, gory action stuff. Hellsing and JoJo are shining examples. Terra Formars is okay. Gantz is garbo. I'm a Type-Moon encyclopedia, I already love Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa and I've seen all the famous 80s and 90s OVAs, to get some obvious stuff out of the way. Anime preferred, but I'll take manga recs too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Recommend me fun, not too complicated, gory action stuff. Hellsing and JoJo are shining examples. Terra Formars is okay. Gantz is garbo. I'm a Type-Moon encyclopedia, I already love Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa and I've seen all the famous 80s and 90s OVAs, to get some obvious stuff out of the way. Anime preferred, but I'll take manga recs too.

Have you read Battle Angel Alita?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I've seen the 90s OVA, s'ok. Tried getting into the manga but apparently it's a giant pain in the rear end to find legally from the beginning, and Last Order is apparently Very Bad so I didn't want to start with that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Kemonozume
It's actually about ninja monster hunters and the monsters who love kill them. It gets pretty goddamn bloody.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I've seen the 90s OVA, s'ok. Tried getting into the manga but apparently it's a giant pain in the rear end to find legally from the beginning, and Last Order is apparently Very Bad so I didn't want to start with that.

The manga is absolutely worth tracking down and Last Order isn't "very bad" it's just a significantly more lighthearted and open-ended story than the original run.

e: But if you're not convinced then watch Kemonozume like the guy above me suggested.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 5, 2014

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the info on Hunter X Hunter. I'll give it a try once I'm done with the other shows I'm on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

It rises and falls. If it helps, the last episode is completely mundane and has the goofiest faces. I'd suggest finishing it.

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's a swoopy graph, there's big battle scenes and then it goes back to everyday life. It ends on an episode about multi-level marketing. Skip episode 10, it's mundane but also really bad.
I think I might have stopped watching at around episode 10 (was it a waterpark/swimsuit episode? gently caress that). I guess I'll go back and watch the rest since it's a fairly unique show. I was just concerned it'd end up being all about magic and who's the ultimate badass rather than a heartwarming story about making it in Japan on the minimum wage.

• Locked thread