Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It wasn't the first time that Duggan didn't sell for anyone. Here's Meltzer.

quote:

"Jim Duggan came out next and made some remarks about Sting and then Sting came out and gave him the reverse DDT and was supposed to leave Duggan laying. At least that's how the commentators were selling it, the only problem was that Duggan got right back up and was marching around the ring as they said it."
- Dave Meltzer, Wrestling Observer (January 20, 1997)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Thauros posted:

I was in high school when columbine happened, and yeah it was a fun time to have both trenchcoat and KMFDM shirt in your wardrobe. I remember a little old lady literally screaming and running across the street in fear of me.

Try that Rammstein burning man shirt they had around that time, fun! I remember people telling me that they got scared of me in the loving netherlands.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DrVenkman posted:

If Ric Flair has the Flair Flop, then maybe "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan has the Hacksaw Hop!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But, did Blitzkrieg ever have a Blitzkrieg Bop?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

He got one from Juvi.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I still don't know if Juvi was intentionally being a dick to Blitzkrieg at Spring Stampede 99 or if he was just being regular hosed up Juvi.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't want this play on words to ever stop!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hey, The Guardian Angel was almost a cop!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rodney the Piper posted:

Hey, The Guardian Angel was almost a cop!

Speaking of him, since the Network has every Clash of the Champions, someone needs to upload the most amazing promo onto YouTube. It's after Sting vs. Avalanche with the Guardian Angel as the guest referee. After the match, where Guardian Angel turns heel, he rambles on in the best way possible.

"Thatthererefereewasn'tevensupposedtobeintheRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

DrVenkman posted:

I love Bobby Heenan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who was it that called Duggan a patriotic caveman?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Stevie Ray did an interview.

On the infamous Spring Stampede promo posted:

Well, It really bothered my brother. It really bothered him, whereas all the guys were ribbing him and were like, “What’s up n**ga?” Randy Savage & whoever… They all got a big, big kick out of it. It was the pop of the night. So the next day, we go to do Nitro after the Pay-Per-View that Sunday and I remember I was sitting at a table, you know- we were in catering- I’m sitting at the table and Hogan walks in. So me and Hogan would always talk about cars and motorcycles, because he’s into cars much like myself. I think he was getting some food when Randy Savage came in and was like, “Hey, Hulk, what’s going on man? You know Booker T called you an n**ga?” Then Hogan was like “That’s OK man, at least I’m a good n**ga.” The whole catering area popped. I mean everybody in the catering room just popped. And I think that’s when some of the pressure kind of came off my brother. That’s a true story, I've never told it before... After Hogan did that, it pretty much died that day.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrBling posted:

I still don't know if Juvi was intentionally being a dick to Blitzkrieg at Spring Stampede 99 or if he was just being regular hosed up Juvi.
Juvi stole Naked Mideon's gimmick!

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

That's a really nice story, and one that has Hogan behaving like an actual human being for once.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I know it's WCW so the answer is "it's WCW" but it is amazing they didn't do pretapes for backstage interviews.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I know it's WCW so the answer is "it's WCW" but it is amazing they didn't do pretapes for backstage interviews.

We're live, pal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But is Hogan more of a n**ga than Michael Hayes?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Why in the holy gently caress is Sid speaking if the Million Dollar man is right next to him?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

IndustrialApe posted:

Try that Rammstein burning man shirt they had around that time, fun! I remember people telling me that they got scared of me in the loving netherlands.

Uh, Christian?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Why in the holy gently caress is Sid speaking if the Million Dollar man is right next to him?

Trying to level up his microphone skill in TEW.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

Trying to level up his microphone skill in TEW.

Sid improvised poorly, segment rating F-.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've always wondered why Jim Duggan, a guy seemingly willing to do a job for almost everybody in the later part of his career, picked THAT moment to be defiant.
I actually looked at his WCW run, and in terms of televised matches (as opposed to house shows where sure, let the good guys win) he's still WAY over .500. It's not like he got a lot of big angles, but outside of an NWO-assisted loss to Syxx, giving Austin one win back after beating him in like five matches, and losing a ton of matches to the Giant, pretty much every loss he had was to a guy who was big and around in the 1980s: Vader, Meng, Orndorff, Kamala, Big Bubba Rogers, Mike Rotunda, and Lex Luger are pretty much the guys who he jobbed to, repeatedly. It's not like he was putting over up-and-comers, other than I guess the Giant. And The Giant is a lot harder to argue against jobbing to than some vanilla midget getting repackaged.

After that Berlyn match he wasn't used that much (the janitor angle, some health issues) but for what it's worth he didn't lose again on TV until nine months later, when he got pinned by Goldberg.

Obviously six years later when he had that legends run with WWE was a different story, for a whole number of reasons.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I could be remembering it all wrong, but I recall Meng usually hit way over where you'd think he would. Like, he respectively put out Sting and Luger with the Deathgrip, in spite of not really being a main eventer. Like most guys that all ended when he went up against Goldberg, but up until that he was a beast.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

We're up to early 98 and Meng's still destroying the midcard without really getting a push. Even when he loses he still hulks up after the bell and puts guys in the Tongan Death Grip until someone pulls him off.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I was watching this old Duggan match on YouTube where Bobby Heenan just laughs at Duggan for five straight minutes and I'm confused because Duggan's the face but he just knocks this dude out after the bell. Why is that a good guy thing to do I don't even know who this guy is he probably hasn't done anything wrong!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

mearn posted:

I was watching this old Duggan match on YouTube where Bobby Heenan just laughs at Duggan for five straight minutes and I'm confused because Duggan's the face but he just knocks this dude out after the bell. Why is that a good guy thing to do I don't even know who this guy is he probably hasn't done anything wrong!

Duggan was a terrible wrestler that chanted USA a lot so he's a babyface.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's the ATTITUDE era, bay-bee.

Ya babyfaces gotta have dat ATTITUDE like shades of GRAY :russo:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

All these big rear end fat terrible 80s wrestlers have one move of doom and it's the scoop slam.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tony Schiavone talks about his heat with Bobby Heenan. Tony admitting he hosed up is interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLaVVcHzaw

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

mearn posted:

Hogan did this poo poo in the 80s all the time. He'd bite people, choke them with his shirt, etc. It's nothing really new. It always blew my mind. In the match where he beat the sheik for the WWF title he jumped him before the bell rang, choked him with his own robe and basically acted like the biggest heel ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9y1wu1_9M

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

All these big rear end fat terrible 80s wrestlers have one move of doom and it's the scoop slam.
The obesity epidemic kind of meant an end of the era of huge fat rear end wrestlers.
Hell, half the fans look like Happy Humphrey these days.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Akileese posted:

Hogan did this poo poo in the 80s all the time. He'd bite people, choke them with his shirt, etc. It's nothing really new. It always blew my mind. In the match where he beat the sheik for the WWF title he jumped him before the bell rang, choked him with his own robe and basically acted like the biggest heel ever.

I think Hogan even admitted he never changed up his style from his late 70's/early 80's heel days but he had developed so much charisma that the fans just didn't care.

No wonder Vince felt justified in trying to completely tear down the concept of pro wrestling in those days. The crowds were already doing so in their own way.

Plus, you know, xenophobia. One thing I'd love to see a heel do one day is go someplace like Texas, get out a copy of the Qur'an, and read a passage that talks about brotherhood and unity between men or something in that vein, something that relates to American values, and then take the piss out of people when they inevitably booed him for it. Sort of a more subtle Muhammad Hassan.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Cornwind Evil posted:

One thing I'd love to see a heel do one day is go someplace like Texas, get out a copy of the Qur'an, and read a passage that talks about brotherhood and unity between men or something in that vein, something that relates to American values, and then take the piss out of people when they inevitably booed him for it. Sort of a more subtle Muhammad Hassan.

How exactly would reading out of the Qur'an with the intention of getting heel heat be MORE subtle?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

BlueArmyMan posted:

How exactly would reading out of the Qur'an with the intention of getting heel heat be MORE subtle?

Most, if not all, heel heat is based around taunting the crowd. Ha ha, you're losers compared to me. Ha ha, local sports team sucks. Ha ha, I'm really good and beat up people you like and I shove it in your face. Ha ha, I'm a monster and I smash your heroes. And of course, ha ha insertcountry here rules USA droolz.

This would basically be making the audience hang themselves, by not provoking them at all and still getting a negative reaction based solely on their own prejudices (which is what you use to taunt them afterwards to make sure they all 'get it'). This is really where Hassan's gimmick failed: his very first video was a calm 'I don't want to be judged by my ethnicity because of what other people did'. Evidently the writers decided that was just too subtle, because he immediately switched to angry accusations and aggravation-based blaming and eventually it degenerated into actual pseudo-terrorist imagery.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder how much of it was the writers doing clever stuff and then Vince coming in and going for stuff "that works."

Hassan hit the road faster than Magnum TA.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Speaking of magnum TA, was he as good as they say? I mean before his accident took his career away.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He was an okay wrestler, who had a lot of charisma. He was very carryable, so placed with the right opponents, he probably would have had an okay run on top. hard to say if he would have had any longevity or been a draw though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight it is a 3 hour Nitro that may have given people the false impression that 3 hour Nitros had a first hour of just cool matches and not nWo stuff!

The show starts off with:

Juvi vs Psychosis
Ultimo Dragon vs Kid Man
Jericho vs Calo
Regal vs Booker T

and kind of goes down from there. We do get GOLDBERG though and a main event of STING vs SAVAGE!

8 PM for Nitro

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is really where Hassan's gimmick failed: his very first video was a calm 'I don't want to be judged by my ethnicity because of what other people did'.

It didn't help when the crowd booed instantly after he said, "Allah u-akbar" during that promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That and Hassan was not a strong promo. He also sucked in the ring.