Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

All seems reasonable enough except where they made up a bit where he played for Everton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Ouch. Destroyed. I'm sure theres a joke here, something about more shots fired than balotelli, on target at least. but I'm not gonna put in the effort, I can't top that.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

St Evan Echoes posted:

All seems reasonable enough except where they made up a bit where he played for Everton

Keeping an interest in boxing going for "fitness purposes" is pretty suspect too tbh

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Are comments from Facebook okay in here? They're great for pure delusion and ignorance; especially Stoke fans, who see a grand conspiracy against us involving the FA, refs and 'southern-biased' media. Take Crouch's sending off tonight against Southampton:

Stoke fan posted:

I'm sorry can someone tell me why crouch was sent off neither cards were worthy the ref was persuaded by Southampton players surrounding him yet again done by a ref .. Getting really pissed off with the ref show every game

Paranoid Schizophrenic posted:

Beaten by 12 men again, I swear there is some sort of conspiracy going on by all the stoke haters in the fa.Beaten by 12 men again, I swear there is some sort of conspiracy going on by all the stoke haters in the fa.

Just lol posted:

Hard to play against 14 players (ref 2 lines men )

Yeah, we're not exactly renowned for being gracious in defeat, but loving hell.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yeah refs are always biased against Stoke

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is there a single fanbase that doesn't think there is a big media/ref/FA conspiracy against their team?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jyrka posted:

Is there a single fanbase that doesn't think there is a big media/ref/FA conspiracy against their team?
Man Utd just refuse to accept that there is a conspiracy towards their team, does that count?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jyrka posted:

Juventus except for a few very quiet years.

They actually got robbed tonight, heh.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gigi Galli posted:

Juventus except for a few very quiet years.

They actually got robbed tonight, heh.

Is it really a "fanbase" if only 600 people show up?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Is it really a "fanbase" if only 600 people show up?

This would have been funny about 3 years ago but Juventus sells out all their home games.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gigi Galli posted:

This would have been funny about 3 years ago but Juventus sells out all their home games.

All of my Serie A jokes are based on things that happened there 5-10 years ago

But if Italy doesn't have an obligation to be up to date with the modern world, I'd don't see why I should start

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

a brave editorial decision imo. I wonder who their source is?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Lovren can gently caress right off. Hated this signing since day one. He's like one of those Eastern European pieces of poo poo in your school that thinks that he's the greatest footballer to ever live but in reality can't hit a pass 10 yards.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368573&userid=179064

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Phwoar what a heat map

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

In it, voted 5.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Kompany and Mangala talking tactics

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Kompany and Mangala talking tactics

gently caress dude

hahaha

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/sport/story/364035.html#OrHgx4vjIEkHADMZ.99

Manchester United beat Manchester City 0-1 yesterday. That was clear for all to see. The team that collected the three points from the derby were actually the losers. The old order has been re-established and this showed in everything except the numbers.

So OK, this was a spiritual victory, and I know there ain't no room on the scoreboard for spirit. But in all sports such incomputables matter - and they tend to matter more in football because so many football matches turn on a single incident.

That's because United found the noble spirit of defiance: of futile heroism. They savoured the profound joy of finding glory in defeat.

It was demonstration of old champions against upstarts. City are still not a team, as their performances in Europe have shown us this season. They look great when they're great, but you expect that. It's finding greatness when things are going wrong that counts. And only one side did that yesterday.

City left knowing that another victory like that and they're done for. But United can make this defeat the beginning of the long and winding road that leads back to greatness.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

True, their central defence is shot to hell, with Smalling suspended and Marcos Rojo out with a dislocated shoulder, but so what? One team fell apart on Sunday while the other found oceans of altogether unexpected strength of spirit. And that's what actually matters.

lol.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Strawman posted:

Manchester United beat Manchester City 0-1 yesterday. That was clear for all to see. The team that collected the three points from the derby were actually the losers. The old order has been re-established and this showed in everything except the numbers.

So OK, this was a spiritual victory, and I know there ain't no room on the scoreboard for spirit. But in all sports such incomputables matter - and they tend to matter more in football because so many football matches turn on a single incident.

That's because United found the noble spirit of defiance: of futile heroism. They savoured the profound joy of finding glory in defeat.

It was demonstration of old champions against upstarts. City are still not a team, as their performances in Europe have shown us this season. They look great when they're great, but you expect that. It's finding greatness when things are going wrong that counts. And only one side did that yesterday.

City left knowing that another victory like that and they're done for. But United can make this defeat the beginning of the long and winding road that leads back to greatness.

:laffo:

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Strawman posted:

close thread

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
rename me "noble spirit of defiance: futile heroism"

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Strawman posted:

I see you've found Ninpo's blog

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dunban posted:

I see you've found Ninpo's blog

:drat:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That's worse than you'd find on an American Altidore blog

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
rename me American Altidore blog

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers's contentious decision to field a weakened team in the Champions League defeat by Real Madrid will only be judged when phases two and three of his masterplan unfold.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Talking heads in the States are saying that US Soccer President wants to hire Pep as USMNT Coach for Qatar.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I've always been an avid football fan and enjoy watching any quality team at their best. Naturally, despite being a United fan, in the past few seasons Manchester City have become one of those teams.

I have to admit that watching the rise of City has been a little surreal. At first I was dismissive, although deep down I knew they were going to be a force. But United kept winning derbies and titles so it was all fine. Then the 6-1 in Old Trafford happened and everything changed. Since then there's no doubt that City have being the better of the two, both in derbies and the league/domestic cups. I'll admit it's not an easy thing to face but still, I'll always feel that if you can't like/respect players like Kompany, Zabaleta, Yaya, Silva and Aguero then you just don't really like football.

Which brings me to the key question: Why aren't this team performing in Europe. I've thought about it and chatted with work mates about it a lot and, although there's merit in saying they lack a quality deep lying creative type like Modric or Xavi (crucial in Europe), and Yaya doesn't seem to be suited to playing his role in European football, I think it's something entirely different. It only hit me during last night's game.

Compare the intensity of City in the Manchester derby with last night and it's like watching a different team playing. Combine that with the lack of atmosphere as opposed to Sunday and it was ominously subdued, which I found incredible for a team supposedly desperate to succeed for the Champions League. My conclusion is that despite their success and wonderful football in England, City are hampered by their obsession with United. Even now, when they are so far ahead, it still seems to mean more to them as a club than success in Europe.

If people disagree then that's fine but I honestly feel that they won't take the next step until they forget about the petty United obsession domestically and forge their own identity in Europe. Maybe, on some level, the players feel this way too and know success in Europe isn't as important as being better than United to the club and it's fans.

I've always wanted to see United win derbies but give me success in Europe above all else any day. Maybe this is City's peak until the club undergoes a cultural change. In the meantime, I'm just happy to watch Aguero every week.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
City were intense in the Derby?

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The Big Taff Man posted:

City were intense in the Derby?

From 20' through whenever Milner was taken off, yeah I think so.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

chuggo is BACK posted:

I'll always feel that if you can't like/respect players like Kompany, Zabaleta, Yaya, Silva and Aguero then you just don't really like football.

poo poo like this drives me insane

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Wrong thread, that should deffo go in the dumb fyad thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Wrong thread, that should deffo go in the dumb fyad thread!

You need to be more precise than that haha