Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So the issue I'm running into with Apple pay is it seems to be very generous on the range of NFC.

I work in a retail store with multiple terminals that support NFC. I have my iPhone and it just starts bringing up the Apple pay scree. Not every time, and I cannot get it to readily duplicate when I setup a test transaction, but I see it happen.

I went to the coffee kiosk in the middle of the mall, and Apple pay kept popping up even though I was 2-3 people in line.

Thankfully it didn't get my fingerprint so I didn't pay, but it actually could be easy to accidentally pay if you just happen to be about to unlock your phone. I ended up having to delete my cards from Apple pay because it's just not worth accidentally paying for a customers stuff and dealing with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

Duckman2008 posted:

So the issue I'm running into with Apple pay is it seems to be very generous on the range of NFC.

I work in a retail store with multiple terminals that support NFC. I have my iPhone and it just starts bringing up the Apple pay scree. Not every time, and I cannot get it to readily duplicate when I setup a test transaction, but I see it happen.

I went to the coffee kiosk in the middle of the mall, and Apple pay kept popping up even though I was 2-3 people in line.

Thankfully it didn't get my fingerprint so I didn't pay, but it actually could be easy to accidentally pay if you just happen to be about to unlock your phone. I ended up having to delete my cards from Apple pay because it's just not worth accidentally paying for a customers stuff and dealing with that.

Weird. Do you have a case on that might somehow be amplifying the signal? Otherwise I'd take it to the fruit stand since I have to be pretty close to activate mine.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Something is seriously wrong with your phone - the mechanism for NFC operation physically doesn't operate at that kind of range. NFC typically returns information via load modulation (and even in active return modes, the return is done via near field modulation).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So is the camera+ promo over? I can't seem to get the right screen in the Apple Store app to ever show up.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Duckman2008 posted:

This happened to me once at the Apple Store. I was showing the genius my appointment text and the Apple Pay stuff came up.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
It happened to me at the grocery store. I saw the Visa PayWave terminal light up blue, and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket it was already on and at the ApplePay screen asking for my fingerprint.

eames
May 9, 2009

re: bendgate

I’ve used my iPhone 6 for a good while now without abusing it but also without special paying attention to it (because it's nothing but a tool to me) and it's quite noticeably bent. It doesn't bother me at all but I'm still surprised it happened during — what I consider — normal use. Guess I'll put Apple Care+ on it while I still can so I can swap it if it gets too extreme.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

eames posted:

re: bendgate

I’ve used my iPhone 6 for a good while now without abusing it but also without special paying attention to it (because it's nothing but a tool to me) and it's quite noticeably bent. It doesn't bother me at all but I'm still surprised it happened during — what I consider — normal use. Guess I'll put Apple Care+ on it while I still can so I can swap it if it gets too extreme.

Apple has said they'll replace bent phones, if its noticeably bent take it in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My mom replaced her 4 with a 6, and the dude in the shop did something where he transferred her data to the new phone. But it looks like some things didn't carry over; the iCloud somehow got transferred, but her iTunes settings didn't given that she doesn't remember any passwords. But it looks like some settings are off and stuff.

Maybe it's just me, and going from iOS 6 to 8 funks up some stuff, but are things just as good as they would be if I had just restored from her iPhone 4 iCloud back-up?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I look over my phone at all angles to see if it's bent. Sometimes I "see" it, then I look again and I don't. Or I just place it face down on a table and try to rock it and I can't.

If the backup wasn't encrypted, passwords won't be saved in it.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Welp, with the iPhone 6/6+ Apple's OEM iPhone Dock is dead. I miss it. Are there any small, similar docks that hold an iPhone 6+ in portrait view with a power connector and line out?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Out of curiosity, I haven't really kept up with OMG BENDGHAZIGATE :911: is this an issue with cases as well, or just naked phone in pocket?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Maneki Neko posted:

Out of curiosity, I haven't really kept up with OMG BENDGHAZIGATE :911: is this an issue with cases as well, or just naked phone in pocket?
It's not an issue period.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not an issue period.

I mean, like, it clearly is.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, like, it clearly is.
Nah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I agree.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ufarn posted:

My mom replaced her 4 with a 6, and the dude in the shop did something where he transferred her data to the new phone. But it looks like some things didn't carry over; the iCloud somehow got transferred, but her iTunes settings didn't given that she doesn't remember any passwords. But it looks like some settings are off and stuff.

Maybe it's just me, and going from iOS 6 to 8 funks up some stuff, but are things just as good as they would be if I had just restored from her iPhone 4 iCloud back-up?

The 'dude in the shop' probably just restored her iCloud backup. In the future, don't let dudes in shops handle your data transfers unless you're going from a feature phone to a smartphone. Whatever he did it wasn't better than restoring from the icloud backup, so no need to involve an extra person in the process.

terre packet posted:

Welp, with the iPhone 6/6+ Apple's OEM iPhone Dock is dead. I miss it. Are there any small, similar docks that hold an iPhone 6+ in portrait view with a power connector and line out?

I really like the hi-rise by twelve south, but instead of "line out" it simply keeps the headphone port available.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Woot Apple Pay now supports USBank had to call the bank to fully activate it though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I keep seeing that Renasant bank supports ApplePay now but my card won't work :(

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I'm actually more excited about in-app ApplePay than in-store. How nice would it be to be able to get movie tickets from Fandango without typing in your card and/or trusting them to save it? Hopefully more apps will support it soon. I want it on my MBP.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not sure if this is an iOS or app question, but does the iOS Facebook contact sync process just really suck or something? I'm coming from Windows Phone, where this is one of the things that actually works great, but on iOS it refuses to match any of my contacts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

I really like the hi-rise by twelve south, but instead of "line out" it simply keeps the headphone port available.

I have 2 of those. They're great. I use one for my nightstand and one for my work desk.

I wouldn't use one with a Plus though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aphrodite posted:

I have 2 of those. They're great. I use one for my nightstand and one for my work desk.

I wouldn't use one with a Plus though.

I was worried about how well it would work with the plus and it's fine, although I don't actively use it while it's docked--just video/speakerphone, media playback, and night stand. Twelve South recommends it for use up to the mini, but that seems farfetched to me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

The 'dude in the shop' probably just restored her iCloud backup. In the future, don't let dudes in shops handle your data transfers unless you're going from a feature phone to a smartphone. Whatever he did it wasn't better than restoring from the icloud backup, so no need to involve an extra person in the process.
I wasn’t there, so I didn’t have much of a say in the process. Kinda weird how they can access customers’ iCloud accounts without passwords.

On the same page, shouldn’t she be able to forward calls to her iPad? That option is currently missing on her devices for some reason. I read you might be able to address it by signing out of iCloud, but I don’t fancy playing around with the device like that given the litany of problems I’ve already dealt with in device restorations, syncing, and whatnot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's not small, but I have one of these.

http://hengedocks.com/

If you wanted something that's just a small dock and nothing else like Apple's, there's this but it has no line-out.

http://www.thelightningdock.com/

There's also the Elevation Dock which works with an iPhone, but it doesn't really. They were just lucky with the spacing. The leather case hugs the sides, silicone doesn't fit at all. Worked with some temp case I had though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Not sure if this is an iOS or app question, but does the iOS Facebook contact sync process just really suck or something? I'm coming from Windows Phone, where this is one of the things that actually works great, but on iOS it refuses to match any of my contacts.
You can manually match them, but I think they need to have their phone number in Facebook for it to match with your other entries, I think.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

goku chewbacca posted:

It happened to me at the grocery store. I saw the Visa PayWave terminal light up blue, and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket it was already on and at the ApplePay screen asking for my fingerprint.

They would be smart to add the current total on the apple pay screen before you put your finger print down.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

You can manually match them, but I think they need to have their phone number in Facebook for it to match with your other entries, I think.

Well that's retarded, I'll start looking for 3rd party solutions I guess.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ufarn posted:

I wasn’t there, so I didn’t have much of a say in the process. Kinda weird how they can access customers’ iCloud accounts without passwords.

They can't. But if the phone's not locked, there's nothing stopping them from running an iTunes backup and restore (which is most likely what happened).

Thus Apple's increasing obsession with encouraging passcode/TouchID use and near-instant lock times.

Endless Mike posted:

Email should also work (or at least used to), but yeah, you need something more identifiable than a name several thousand people share.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
NVM. Weird forums weirdness.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

It's not small, but I have one of these.

http://hengedocks.com/

If you wanted something that's just a small dock and nothing else like Apple's, there's this but it has no line-out.

http://www.thelightningdock.com/

There's also the Elevation Dock which works with an iPhone, but it doesn't really. They were just lucky with the spacing. The leather case hugs the sides, silicone doesn't fit at all. Worked with some temp case I had though.

I just got my Gravitas dock in and it's an awesomely overpriced piece of poo poo. I've used Monoprice docks better than that. None of its advertised features work:

- I can't dock an iPhone 5 or iPad Air (both without cases even), they don't fit correctly even with the correct insert
- I sure as poo poo can't remove the device (on the off chance I got it to mate) without having to put a hand on the dock to keep it in place
- Line out sounds like poo poo

Going to email them to mock them, and then return it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress it, just ordered a 6 Plus. The battery life won me over. Got a thin Spigen case and Tech Armor glass screen protector. Will it be bend proof now? :v:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress it, just ordered a 6 Plus. The battery life won me over. Got a thin Spigen case and Tech Armor glass screen protector. Will it be bend proof now? :v:

It's always been bend proof, just not abuse proof.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So finally got my 6. Are people actually using apply pay and is it worthwhile?

Also for my fingerprint can I add another one, say my left and right thumb?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

I have both thumbs, both index, and one middle finger saved.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Christoff posted:

ApplePay is great. I used it at Panera today. Tap hold thumb to pay and done. Sometimes I use my debit instead of my default credit card so it adds an extra step of swiping to get the card I want but still quicker than me getting my wallet out, then the card I want to use and swiping. Try it out and see.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

Yes. Yes.

Yes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've yet to be somewhere I could use it. I keep pulling out my phone and checking the lock screen when they say it's time to pay, but nothing is ever there.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've yet to be somewhere I could use it. I keep pulling out my phone and checking the lock screen when they say it's time to pay, but nothing is ever there.
The checkout terminal has to be NFC equipped. Look for something with this logo on it basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The checkout terminal has to be NFC equipped. Look for something with this logo on it basically.

Yeah I always look for that and never see it but then I check my phone anyway just in case.