Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

JuffoWup posted:

I know it is different, but wouldn't one being delayed help? At the Orlando airport, the trams would open one side to depart passengers for a few minutes before opening the entry doors for new riders.

Well they can't do that without building new stations / tunnels everywhere. I know the buses here switched from FFA entry exit to only enter at the front / only ext at the back a few years ago, although I suspect that was mainly to make sure everybody buys a ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

I know it is different, but wouldn't one being delayed help? At the Orlando airport, the trams would open one side to depart passengers for a few minutes before opening the entry doors for new riders.

At MCO (TPA and LAS too) the stations are structured so that you can board either train from the same platform (to support both trains running, and provide a useful fallback for when only one train runs). Having the passengers getting off the train to the waiting platform would make it more of a clusterfuck than everything at MCO already is. Public transit stations don't have two trains going to the same place from parallel tracks; instead they generally run in opposite directions. Instead of building a platform for each side of the train (and massively increasing the amount of excavation or construction necessary), stations are built with one platform serving two different trains.

Even opening the exit doors first wouldn't help, because yokels and other people that don't know how to behave in public would just try and jam their way in anyways.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Canna Happy posted:

The most exciting thing to happen on the joint line in years!

My pool went to work about 8 hours sooner than we had been averaging on Thursday, but I just figured traffic was backed up due to track work. I think we were on duty at around 1800 for a load out of a northern mine and by the time we got south, everything was cleaned up and taken care of. He didn't put anything on the ground, or really do much damage. He was lucky that the Form B was on main three and he was on main one or he might've actually killed people or ran into some machinery. I guess he didn't side swipe that other train at Nacco, just coupled into it or something. The only real damage he did was taking out the scales at North Rochelle, but that mine only loads a handful of trains daily.

Me too bro, me too.

My coworkers have been talking about the total lack of mainstream media coverage on this.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

B4Ctom1 posted:

My coworkers have been talking about the total lack of mainstream media coverage on this.

The article reads more like an onion article than real life.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

The article reads more like an onion article than real life.

Works well for goons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAOhBBEQwE8

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
fuckin leafers
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/us/arkansas-train-collison/index.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

quote:

The trains collided Thursday morning when the passenger train stalled on a small grade, apparently because of excess leaves on the track, according to police.

Leaf by the sword, die by the sword.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

kastein posted:

Leaf by the sword, die by the sword.

I'm going to leaf that one alone.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to school for Dispatching, pray for me.

120 day probation also. :suicide:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Seems your hobos declared war on Winnemucca last night and tried to burn the place down.

http://silverpinyon.com/index.php/breaking-news/fires/4196-fast-moving-brush-fire-lights-up-nighttime-sky

So it's going to be a bit ugly for awhile there. How many horses do you guys smack between Fernley and Reno anyway? I've counted like 6 different herds in that area, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://elkodaily.com/news/man-killed-in-train-vs-vehicle-accident/article_ab990476-f3ce-50a8-a567-7220d7bb117c.html

ELKO -- A man died Friday morning when his vehicle was struck by a train near Elburz, according to the Elko County Sheriff's Office.

Detective Sgt. Nick Czegledi said it appears the man was in his truck and got stuck on the train tracks. He was actively trying to get off the tracks when his truck was hit by a train, Czegledi said.

Although the man has not been identified, it is believed he is not from this area. He is a white male.

“If you get stuck on the tracks, get off right away,” Czegledi said. “Don’t try to get unstuck. It’s your life or your car.”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, the odds favor the train in any train/car confrontation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/31/3-die-when-train-strikes-suv-in-southern-illinois/?intcmp=latestnews

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Routes are being planned for Texas' bullet trains: http://blog.chron.com/thehighwayman/2014/10/routes-for-proposed-houston-dallas-bullet-trains-unveiled/#27788101=0

Photo makes me think they're considering N700 Shinkansen stock but we all know politics will cause them to turn it down for stupid reasons.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they will def get forced into US made trainsets at some point, private bux or not. Both Amtrack and CHSR have to buy US assembled HSR sets (although apparently now different sets), so maybe they can buy the same design as one or the other.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I saw we were hauling passenger locomotives to someplace that uses a big one of these on the side of them

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

B4Ctom1 posted:

I saw we were hauling passenger locomotives to someplace that uses a big one of these on the side of them

Boston's MBTA, I think. No idea why their logo is a T in a circle. Or, I might have known, but forgot ten years ago.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

B4Ctom1 posted:

Without cheating and using Google, I'm assuming they are cars for the MBTA (Boston), which is called 'The T'

Edit: I checked my answer. I am correct. Word.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

If they're the big purple ones with the rounded front, those are currently the most powerful passenger locomotives in the US right now!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I ride those trains occasionally. Cool.

Wonder if they'll sell me one of their old locos to park in the yard and use as a backup generator. :haw:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

kastein posted:

I ride those trains occasionally. Cool.

Wonder if they'll sell me one of their old locos to park in the yard and use as a backup generator. :haw:

I take them every. drat. (work)day. They're currently replacing the screamers which true to their name idle at a high RPM.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Shampoo posted:

If they're the big purple ones with the rounded front, those are currently the most powerful passenger locomotives in the US right now!

Highest HP 4 axle diesels ever built, but they don't hold a candle to electrics. Funny part is that ridiculous paint scheme was chosen through a vote on their website, that's actually the one I voted for.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Highest HP 4 axle diesels ever built, but they don't hold a candle to electrics. Funny part is that ridiculous paint scheme was chosen through a vote on their website, that's actually the one I voted for.

Thanks for the clarification! I voted for it too. :hf:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

B4Ctom1 posted:

The holy sign of Our Ford!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Shampoo posted:

Those are the ones.

We hauled 5 in one consist behind two of our loco's and then the whole nasty train behind that.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10 posted:

Boston's MBTA, I think. No idea why their logo is a T in a circle. Or, I might have known, but forgot ten years ago.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Reminds me of the Dodge Ram emblem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Is that why they have to add leap seconds every so often? That thing looks like it'd have enough torque to change the Earths rotation...

I know they aren't all powered

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

Is that why they have to add leap seconds every so often? That thing looks like it'd have enough torque to change the Earths rotation...

I know they aren't all powered

They're just slowing continental drift a bit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I hope that at the very end there was single flat car loaded with a single pallet of kleenex.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I hope that at the very end there was single flat car loaded with a single pallet of kleenex.

That's almost as bad as me hauling a single broken floor buffer from Silver City NM to DFW TX.

God Bless Walmart.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So those of you in the industry, what are your feelings regarding GE vs EMD?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
New EMD stuff is terrible. New GE stuff is awesome, except for those ones that use the 4 powered axles 6 axle engine. They can't pull a wet fart if the rail is remotely slick.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

New EMD stuff is terrible. New GE stuff is awesome, except for those ones that use the 4 powered axles 6 axle engine. They can't pull a wet fart if the rail is remotely slick.

That did strike me as a weird choice. I mean, I get why they did it, AC traction motors are expensive so lets offer less of them! However, I thought locomotive manufacturers figured out A1A trucks don't work back in the 60s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It's a BNSF thing thank god. We get them here and there in my little chunk of the world, but they absolutely suck. The new SD70ACe are terrible. They vibrate so bad even with the isolated cabs. The NVH on GE isn't a huge margin better but it's better.

Still would rather have a nice rebuilt SD40-2.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

So those of you in the industry, what are your feelings regarding GE vs EMD?

Pre-80s(roughly) EMD is god tier if maintained properly. My only experience with GE is ALCo, which was basically GE Lite, and they suck. God only knows why railfans love locomotives that seem to actively try to kill the operating crews.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Since winter is getting close: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365218614/

Good mini-documentary on rotary snowplow operations on the UP through the Sierra Nevada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tex Avery posted:

Pre-80s(roughly) EMD is god tier if maintained properly. My only experience with GE is ALCo, which was basically GE Lite, and they suck. God only knows why railfans love locomotives that seem to actively try to kill the operating crews.

In the case of Alco it's because they sound cool and make lots of smoke. Also, because Alco made steam locomotives.