Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ExtremistCow posted:

Edit: Ugh, count me in as disappointed by the new CellarHQ. I used to like it because it was simple, now it's a sperg-lord's dream with "Drink-by date" and "Bin identifier". The Beer Exchange seems nice since it pairs up traders. Hmm.

I don't mean to pile on but... who the gently caress designed this? It looks like a baby's room. Painful on the eyes, not nearly as easy to see things, and it's much slower. Good work, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ChickenArise posted:

Anything I've ever tried like this ends up recommending me thing that I would almost definitely like, but the beers are outside of my distro or no longer made.

That's the most massive problem with beer is that most anything decent is a varying degree of regional. So anything trying to automate recommendations falls on the wrong side of "That's not available there"

danbanana posted:

I don't mean to pile on but... who the gently caress designed this? It looks like a baby's room. Painful on the eyes, not nearly as easy to see things, and it's much slower. Good work, people.

I can't speak to the usability of it because I don't use it but the site went from "looks bootleg and hacky" to "looks professional"

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

MunchE posted:

I can't speak to the usability of it because I don't use it but the site went from "looks bootleg and hacky" to "looks professional"

something something lipstick on a pig

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
So you all know that Stone Mint Chocolate stout they did a few years ago? Ken Schmidt was the homebrewer who won Stone's annual homebrew competition that year, and brewed his recipe with Stone.

Anyway, he started his own thing since then, kind of flying low and not really producing much. Recently, he hooked up with Iron Fist (another local brewery) to brew/bottle what apparently was a more true-to-original-recipe version of the beer that won him the Stone homebrew contest.

Good god.

Just EXTREME amounts of chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, and obviously mint, but unlike 99% of other attempts at mint in a stout, this isn't chemical-tasting or a menthol bomb. I don't remember ever having a beer this loaded with flavor that wasn't too much of anything. The balance is impeccable.

This is apparently a limited local release, but I would encourage everyone to beg/borrow/steal to get a bottle somewhere.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

a worthy uhh posted:

Side note: Would any of you guys be interested in Cycle/Peg's Rare DOS? I have the opportunity to pick up a case, but minimum a case, and I don't want 12. Goon split?

I know I'm way late on this, but I would be way down if you have a bottle to spare. If there's any other Chicago Goons your sending to, we could even save on shipping.

On a completely unrelated note, RE: FOBAB weekend bottle shares. I know everybody is already probably crazy busy with plans, and I know that there are a few things going on that weekend (Crazyfish's share), but I finally firmed up details and will be hosting a share on Saturday night the 15th. One of my buddies is in town from NoVa for FOBAB, and wanted to make sure to include him. Air- and whoever is in town for FOBAB, i'd love to see you guys. I'll be kicking things off around 7:00, so if you're going to the first session saturday, stop by afterward (if you're not blasted out on all the tapes)

My house is in Westchester, which is about 20-25 minutes west of the loop (When the Eisenhower isn't a parking lot), and about a 5-10 minute drive from the Forest Park end of the blue line, and pretty close to a metra station. I could set up some transportation help if need be.

One of the guys at the share is the owner of the Beer Cellar in Glen Ellyn, and another is good friends with An Mekong, and it's my 30th birthday week, which means I'll probably be getting real stupid with the cellar... It should be a good night.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

umop apisdn posted:

One of the guys at the share is the owner of the Beer Cellar in Glen Ellyn, and another is good friends with An Mekong, and it's my 30th birthday week, which means I'll probably be getting real stupid with the cellar... It should be a good night.

tell your boy to bring some Hardywood Trickery, it's probably the best beer "they" have made

(CCB helped a bit with the recipe)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Made my best batch of hot sauce today. Used Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, cherry peppers, long hots, habanero and Devil's Tongue peppers. Oh yeah, this years Celebration is really good too.

ISO

I had Neshaminy Creeks The Shape of Hops to Come Imperial IPA last night. 5 different hop varietals: Citra, Apollo, Newport, Simcoe, and Topaz. This was more of an English style IPA with a big body and sweeter finish. It was pretty good and the can art was pretty cool as well.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

lazerwolf posted:

ISO

I had Neshaminy Creeks The Shape of Hops to Come Imperial IPA last night. 5 different hop varietals: Citra, Apollo, Newport, Simcoe, and Topaz. This was more of an English style IPA with a big body and sweeter finish. It was pretty good and the can art was pretty cool as well.

I almost got one of those at Two Stones on Sunday but I got the Ballast Point Big Eye instead. I'm kind of regretting it now because that Neshaminy Creek sounds good and they're local.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

wattershed posted:

So you all know that Stone Mint Chocolate stout they did a few years ago? Ken Schmidt was the homebrewer who won Stone's annual homebrew competition that year, and brewed his recipe with Stone.

Anyway, he started his own thing since then, kind of flying low and not really producing much. Recently, he hooked up with Iron Fist (another local brewery) to brew/bottle what apparently was a more true-to-original-recipe version of the beer that won him the Stone homebrew contest.

Good god.

Just EXTREME amounts of chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, and obviously mint, but unlike 99% of other attempts at mint in a stout, this isn't chemical-tasting or a menthol bomb. I don't remember ever having a beer this loaded with flavor that wasn't too much of anything. The balance is impeccable.

This is apparently a limited local release, but I would encourage everyone to beg/borrow/steal to get a bottle somewhere.

Awesome. Where did you pick it up at? I enjoyed the Stone version.. curious to see how the original tastes.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Capt. Awesome posted:

Awesome. Where did you pick it up at? I enjoyed the Stone version.. curious to see how the original tastes.

I saw it at some of the nicer beer stores here in SoCal but it seemed to be a very small distro

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Capt. Awesome posted:

Distiller's Outlet had at least a case. I was handed a pair of bottles as they came out of the box. I imagine anywhere that's got decent Iron Fist distro will have a bit.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

ISO

I am loving this beer, in fact, I'd place it as the best double IPA to come out of PA next to Hop Ranch. However, I'd disagree with labeling this an English style IPA. NC puts out another DIPA - Blitzkreig Hops, that is an English style DIPA. They describe Shape of Hops as an American style.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

WaffleStomp posted:

I am loving this beer, in fact, I'd place it as the best double IPA to come out of PA next to Hop Ranch. However, I'd disagree with labeling this an English style IPA. NC puts out another DIPA - Blitzkreig Hops, that is an English style DIPA. They describe Shape of Hops as an American style.

Blitzkrieg was pretty darn bad too.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

WaffleStomp posted:

The best DIPA to come out of PA is made by Tired Hands and it is either Cosmic Slop, Extra Extra Knuckle, or Uyawa Pog :colbert:

Other Tired Hands DIPAs I haven't had are also acceptable answers.

Nobody in PA is doing them as well as Jean.

Hop Ranch is a fantastic beer, but I'd take any of the three I named over it every time.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The best DIPA to come out of PA is made by Tired Hands and it is either Cosmic Slop, Extra Extra Knuckle, or Uyawa Pog :colbert:

Hop Ranch is a fantastic beer, but I'd take any of the three I named over it every time.

What about DirtWolf? I don't think it's nearly as good as Cosmic Slop (the only one I've had from TH) but it sure is a hell of lot easier to get than anything Tired Hands makes.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Hop Ranch is one of my top IPAs of all time. I've only had Such Passion for IIPAs from Tired Hands and it was really good, but I preferred Hop Ranch. I'm a huge Mosaic hop fan though, so any Mosaic hop IPA is at the tops for me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm not a huge DirtWolf fan. I've had multiple batches and it just doesn't do it for me the way Hop Ranch does. DirtWolf is too aggressively resinous. I tend to like more flowery and tropical flavors in an IPA and Hop Ranch delivers on that.

edit - In other news, this years batch of Robitussin Mad Elf has hit the shelves. Who's excited?!?!??!!?! Not me. But I'll probably end up drinking it anyway, just because I always do and it can't possibly be as bad as I remember, but it always is.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I've only had Such Passion for IIPAs from Tired Hands and it was really good, but I preferred Hop Ranch.

That's insane. Such Passion is a Top 5 IPA for me. I mean, like Heady/Two Hearted/Jai Alai level good.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

That's insane. Such Passion is a Top 5 IPA for me.

I think they're both incredibly good beers, but Mosaic hop man. It just hits my palate in the most pleasing way possible.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ElmwoodParkBeer/status/529705552784658432/photo/1

The date stamp made me laugh... So I'll probably get a sixer.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'll rephrase my statement then - Shape of Hops to Come is the best bottled/canned DIPA to come out of the state. :colbert:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just heard back from my Cycle mule.. he walked out with 23 cases of beer. That's $5520, and Cycle is cash only. lmao.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Would love to try this! Bring some please.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Would love to try this! Bring some please.

LOL. It'll be like 17 days old then...

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

a worthy uhh posted:

Just heard back from my Cycle mule.. he walked out with 23 cases of beer. That's $5520, and Cycle is cash only. lmao.

Haha, jesus.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

It's drat good also.

a worthy uhh posted:

That's impressive.

Zam fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 4, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

dphi posted:

Haha, jesus.

saw a picture- it's the entire bed of a pickup

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

saw a picture- it's the entire bed of a pickup

Are you in the group with him?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I went to Sheepshead Bay in South Brooklyn today to have lunch at a neighborhood institution (in case you're curious, it's called Roll-N-Roasters, and you should get the roast beef sandwich with gravy and/or "cheez"). I went into a bodega near the bus stop and, this being a neighborhood with a large Russian population, found a lot of cheap beers from the former Soviet Union in large bottles with high ABV content. I settled on the Lobster Lovers Beer. It's nothing special- has a pretty tasty start before it devolves into booziness- but just look at the label.

Between this and the label for the Before After Tripel Bock, I'm convinced that Lithuanian beer has the best labels in the world.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

Are you in the group with him?

no, but he was muling for my mule!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

no, but he was muling for my mule!

There should be a word for that...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

There should be a word for that...

muleception? cuckoo mule? muletwo? nesting mule...?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

funkybottoms posted:

nesting mule...?

In Ukraine is called muletryoshka

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

In Ukraine is called muletryoshka

IN COMMUNIST RUSSIA, YOU BUY BEER FOR MULES!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Look at these stouts man. I managed to get a few bottles of Oddside's BA Mayan Mocha (hopefully more will be showing up in the coming days) and it is pretty drat good. The secret to their technique is that they barrel aged their regular imperial stout and then added the spices at the end, rather than aging an already-spiced beer, which would have probably made it fade a bit. It's got a little bit more habanero heat than the regular version, cinnamon and nutmeg aren't as strong but the coffee seems to stand out more. Nice barrel taste giving it a chocolatey aspect. And it has a way bigger mouth feel than last year's version--though that one was like 6% instead of 9%, but the regular one this year seemed a bit thicker than last year as well, and most people thought that was its main weakness before. This is really good. I like it better than BA Abraxas but that's not to say they are on the same ~*wHaLe StAtUs*~ level, more just that I didn't find the latter as amazing as most would have you believe.

Also Big Bad Baptist showed up here for I think the first time ever so that was a nice treat to find.

krustster fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 5, 2014

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

krustster posted:

Let's Talk Beer 3: Look at these stouts man.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Let's Talk Beer 3: Have you ever seen this much stout on a man?

And YEEAAAAHH let it never be said that Shorts makes only bad beers, because their IPAs are usually quite good. I had a "Dan's Pink Skirt" (that's my name lmao) which had a really clean and crisp simcoe taste but with summit hops for added bitterness. I don't know how to describe the taste of simcoe, I guess it classifies as "dank" but I just feel stupid saying that. Anyway, there was literally only one bottle available in the city so goodbye forever.

"Beard of Zeus" had a mystery Zeus hop and bitter orange. I don't know anything about zeus hops but it tasted pretty similar to nelson sauvin for my money, and I've become a fan of that so this was a nice tasty treat. The orange was subtle but I'm sure it added to it. Also this was an IPL so it had that lager yeast and whatnot. I think I need to give Huma Lupa Licious another shot.

Oh also speaking of nelson sauvin, "Rico Sauvin" by Against the Grain showed up and it sounds good but I'm skeptical for the price. Is this a tape worth blasting?

krustster fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 5, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Chicago goons: how's the availability on Deth's Tar? Anyone mind picking up a bottle for me and I can hit you back with cash next week?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Chicago goons: how's the availability on Deth's Tar? Anyone mind picking up a bottle for me and I can hit you back with cash next week?

You will have zero problem finding it when you get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

air- posted:

Has anyone tried this year's yet? Last year's fresh was meh at best and with age really wasn't much better....

Also where is that email blast crazyfish?!