Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

As a personal example, Indians don't nod in India. The majority just doesn't need to nod. There's a difference between a nod of just "sup" and a nod of acknowledging a fellow minority.

Live in a country where you are a minority, and you will automatically start nodding at your own people. This is a fact.

Americans are your people, you communist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe we shouldn't be getting complex socio-economic analysis from a guy who doesn't know who Alfred Hitchcock is?

EDIT: But yeah, nods break down geographically/demographically/situationally. In Alberqurque, one has to rise to their tip toes and slam their forehead into the concrete while winking. This is to acknowledge another Libra.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 4, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Handshakes are the primary vector for disease transmission. I prefer a simple nod.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clamknuckle posted:

I saw a black guy one time.

Did you make a wish?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

zoux posted:

Handshakes are the primary vector for disease transmission. I prefer a simple nod.

My doctor encourages people to bump elbows instead of shaking hands. Even though it's practical enough, it's utterly silly, but he's so enthusiastic about it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Close your nostrils.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

MrAristocrates posted:

Did you make a wish?

Hell no! I crossed the street and avoided eye contact like tv told me to.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to intrude on this anthropological event, but if any of you are fans of Mad Men, Deadwood, or costume design in general and live near Wilmington, DE, Janie Bryant is going to give a talk on designing costumes for those two shows at Winterthur on Nov. 18.

I'm definitely going. Her work is incredible! :swoon:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ariza posted:

Sorry nerd. Some people didn't play video games all day and experimented with drugs when they were teenagers.

One time I snorted a line anise seed through a cinnamon stick. Am I a cool drugs dude now? Do we need to nod at each other?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

IRQ posted:

One time I snorted a line anise seed through a cinnamon stick. Am I a cool drugs dude now? Do we need to nod at each other?

That's more fist-bump territory.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I've been nodding wrong this whole time I guess. I thought it meant "I acknowledge that you are a fellow human being, and I don't want to kill or harm you and have a good day".

This is the only sane opinion so far about nodding.

Also the nod conversation knocked this down. Last weekend I told my girlfriend while we were watching the Jim Carrey SNL that I wanted someone to mess up big time. I'm not evil; I just wanted to see a debacle because it's live TV and they have a pretty good track record. It has to happen at some point was my thinking and I'd like to see it. I'm 34 and I've never seen a complete freeze until then. I've seen bad hosts, mess ups, cursing, breaking of characters into fits of laughter, misplaced props even, but never a complete freeze. Then Leslie Jones happened and on her first day being a featured player. Thank you Leslie.

Basically, I'm telling you all that I'm a psychic now.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What happened?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Please explain in a form of a youtube video.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

What happened?

Exactly what Irish Joe posted. She was supposed to deliver the next line and maybe lost sight of the teleprompter, got nervous, and just froze. There were a couple of seconds of just dead air on SNL until she found what she was supposed to say.

I haven't seen any stories on it, but I assume she did her stage exit too early and had to run back out and finish her scene.

Unfortunately the stream on yahoo already edited out the mistake. The crowd is just awkwardly quiet at one point instead of the entire run out, run back in, and freeze that was live.

E: And NBC aggressively removes any youtube videos. At this point I think the only legal way to see it is your own recording.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 4, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Exactly that, she exited too early and had to renter the scene and was temporarily lost. At least it wasn't an f bomb. :shrug:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Exactly what Irish Joe posted. She was supposed to deliver the next line and maybe lost sight of the teleprompter, got nervous, and just froze. There were a couple of seconds of just dead air on SNL until she found what she was supposed to say.

I haven't seen any stories on it, but I assume she did her stage exit too early and had to run back out and finish her scene.

Unfortunately the stream on yahoo already edited out the mistake.

Interestingly enough I think it's edited out of the Hulu version as well. I had the episode on last night while doing other things. When I looked up and saw what she was wearing and the picture of Obama in the back it reminded me that I'd seen a gif from that scene in this thread earlier that day, but with no context. I kept watching for that moment to happen but it never did

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*Handwave*

We were never laughing at SNL.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It was a dud skit at the end of the show anyhow, but still was pretty jarring.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shageletic posted:

Maybe we shouldn't be getting complex socio-economic analysis from a guy who doesn't know who Alfred Hitchcock is?

:smuggo:

It's been seven months since then and it's still rolling strong. :allears:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shageletic posted:

No fat chicks

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno if Marry Me can sustain itself, but it has the best one-liners.

"The last time I went to a hip party, everyone thought I was the valet. 'Long story short', is the name of the short story I wrote about that experience"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I've been nodding wrong this whole time I guess. I thought it meant "I acknowledge that you are a fellow human being, and I don't want to kill or harm you and have a good day".

That kind of sounds like "nod with psychopathic flair."

Ariza posted:

Sorry nerd. Some people didn't play video games all day and experimented with drugs when they were teenagers.

The idea of huffing nutmeg as "experimenting with drugs" is really loving funny to me. Like you tell me that's what you were doing as a teen and I would definitely feel cooler playing video games in the basement.

IRQ posted:

It was a dud skit at the end of the show anyhow, but still was pretty jarring.

Outside of Prince it was a really weird and low-energy episode all around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I was also very drunk when I ate a bunch of nutmeg. You have to consume something insane like an entire bottle of nutmeg for it to be psychoactive. A friend of mine had described his experience with it as being like going through Hell and that for a week afterwards everything looked yellow.

I knew a girl when I was in college that took a very large amount of Dramamine and was completely whacked out of her mind for three days straight.

You used to be able to order pure pharmaceutical 5-MeO-DiPT from China, legally. That poo poo is intense.

The other day I was like "oh yeah, Salvia is a thing that exists". I hadn't done it since around 2001. I found out that it's a Schedule I drug in 14 states! Even cocaine and all opiates but heroin are Schedule II. But, that's just a weird artifact of Schedule I being "everything that doctors would never use in treatment" so it includes marijuana, peyote, LSD, etc. Basically all the good drugs.

Alright that's it for this week's drug chat, should give you all enough material to keep up those fresh "precision does drugs" jokes for a while. :)

precision fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 4, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Have you tried drinking bleach? I'm told it makes your life flash before your eyes. :catdrugs:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hey, precision, there's a forum for you to post in about your drug habits, here I'll link it to you: here

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Witches of East End just bit the dust.

I really don't understand why Lifetime wastes time and money on original scripted programming anymore. They could run Grey's Anatomy reruns all day and probably get the same ratings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

That reminds me, I keep seeing Salem on Hulu and confusing it with that show. Was Salem any good?

e: ahaha does Occupation have an alert set to go off every time I post in Couch Chat?

precision fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 5, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No one cares.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

precision posted:

That reminds me, I keep seeing Salem on Hulu and confusing it with that show. Was Salem any good?

e: ahaha does Occupation have an alert set to go off every time I post in Couch Chat?

You posted 7 times today. Occ posted once, in response to one of those comments. Also, you're bad at drugs.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Everybody just read all the posts and don't worry too much about who posted them

Anyways, I'm a couple episodes into American Horror Story season 3 and bleeeeeh...not liking it nearly as much as the first two seasons. If I like AHS for the mood it sets, the great acting performances, an occasional hosed up thing, and the clever stylistic nods to other classic horror tropes, am I going to start liking season 3 at some point? Also, how's season 4 shaping up in that regard?

EDIT: Season 2 was the first one I watched and my hands down favorite fwiw

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, season 3 is terrible. I haven't even started season 4 yet because 3 left such a bad taste in my mouth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't remember couch chat being so hostile a year or two ago.

e: AHS season 4 is really well done but the subject matter is really gross. And I don't mean the titular "freaks", I mean what the people in the show are doing. I really didn't like the first couple episodes but they are very well made so.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

precision posted:

TVIV in general was less hostile a year ago.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

TVIV in general was less hostile a year ago.

If only because Aatrek would have a meltdown and sling probations whenever a discussion got more heated than posting GIFs and :tviv:s so a lot of people just stopped posting.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Toxxupation posted:

hey, precision, there's a forum for you to post in about your drug habits, here I'll link it to you: here

way to link the forum index

hahahaha hoist on your own petard

precision posted:

You probably have trouble remembering anything that happened more than a year ago

(defying expectations here, this is not a joke about you liking drugs, its a joke about you being old)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Timby posted:

I really don't understand why Lifetime wastes time and money on original scripted programming anymore. They could run Grey's Anatomy reruns all day and probably get the same ratings.

Aww man, I liked that one. Guess it's just going to end on that huge down note.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Salem was (is?) enjoyable in that it reunited Percy and Michael from Nikita. That's the best thing it had going for it. Otherwise, if you have a thing for witches or demons or old timey 'Merica stuff, it's alright. Not a must-see by any stretch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Over the Garden Wall is really engaging. It's got a great Autumnal mood, good animation and voice actors, and starts right in with minimal exposition. If you like Gravity Falls, especially episodes like Summerween, you'll probably like it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

You'd think that that would tell you something about how dumb everyone thinks your boring drug stories are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Can't wait for the final episode of peaky blinders s02. This is one of the best shows.

• Locked thread