Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Maybe you should take that huge stick out of your rear end instead of post post poooost as soon as you read a post about Commander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

I'm only capable of reading 50% of any ~EDH Politics~ post by volume. Any more than that, and I have to go take my meds.
50% more than I can handle. poo poo like that is one reason of many I won't play EDH.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Maybe you should take that huge stick out of your rear end instead of post post poooost as soon as you read a post about Commander?

I thought those were a must-have qualification for Commander though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, most goons aren't worse about commander than Sheldon, so that's something to take pride in.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth came out today, and I found this:

I already knew about the Starter Deck, but this surprised me. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Thanks for the advice guys; we'll probably try putting in some of the silly blue hate cards first, but if the guy is a dick about it (as he has been about other things) then we'll know where to tell him to stick his deck.

I'm uh... sorry for bringing up EDH politics? I guess?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Since I finished building my modern mono-black infect deck with sideboard I decided that it would now be a good time to make my mono-black commander deck now that the C14 is being released. I never make truly competitive decks, they're always a tier or two below combo-out UG decks, because I'm using Korlash as my commander.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Thanks for the advice guys; we'll probably try putting in some of the silly blue hate cards first, but if the guy is a dick about it (as he has been about other things) then we'll know where to tell him to stick his deck.

Just tell everyone to play the following cards:
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast
Choke
Burnout
Active Volcano
Boiling Seas
Omen of Fire

From all the people I've played with, the kind of people who are super aggressive with their combos are the same people who'll cry as soon as you play your ruin-their-day card. I used to play with someone who only ever won with Grave Pact or Mikaeus + Triskelion. But oh man, once I started playing Rest in Peace and showed him the Counterspell in my hand for Spine of Ish Sah, he would scoop within a few turns, and cry the whole time. It was glorious.

But really, just don't play with people with that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Wicked Wall posted:

I know a guy that was all about that kind of deck, and my 5 colour deck had Ice Cave in it because I thought it would be kind of funny.

He started out ridiculously far ahead in one particular game until Ice Cave landed, and then everyone countered all his game winning poo poo and he wound up packing up his cards and accusing everyone of ganging up on him

And that's my Azami EDH story

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth came out today, and I found this:

I already knew about the Starter Deck, but this surprised me. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it.

Cool. Also, apparently Cruel Sadist is supposed to be Eve.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
M15 was cool like that with all the guest designer cards with videogame references like Avatar's Shield from Ultima. The minecraft card was funny as hell too, hoping someone breaks aggressive mining.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

M15 was cool like that with all the guest designer cards with videogame references like Avatar's Shield from Ultima. The minecraft card was funny as hell too, hoping someone breaks aggressive mining.

This guy loves it: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=236499

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There are more Magic references in Binding of Isaac too- Items called Lord of the Pit and Spirit of the Night.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Donate it with Zedruu, it can be backbreaking in EDH with a mean deck.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

homerlaw posted:

Donate it with Zedruu, it can be backbreaking in EDH with a mean deck.

I have that kind of Zedruu playing in my EDH group. That enchantment that gains 20 life on cast and loses 20 life on removal. Statecraft. That enchantment that screws over anyone that doesn't play white.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Alris posted:

Anyone who plays Blood Moon in Commander is literally Satan, or at the very least Allocer.

Price of Progress, Blood Moon, Burning Earth, Ruination, it feels so loving good.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Oraculum Animi posted:

I have that kind of Zedruu playing in my EDH group. That enchantment that gains 20 life on cast and loses 20 life on removal. Statecraft. That enchantment that screws over anyone that doesn't play white.

Thankfully the Zedruu deck that the guy runs at my club is just donating things like howling mines, countering board wipes, etc. then he drops Kazuul & Propaganda so you can't really attack him, then a 50/50 chasm skulker appears out of nowhere and runs you over.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Oraculum Animi posted:

Zedruu + Illusions of Grandeur + Despotic Scepter :getin:

Edit: Donate + illusions of grandeur + despotic scepter was the combo my friends came up with during high school when we decided to play black jack for rares. The one guy gave out despotic scepter when he lost and laughed at us.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

And that's my Azami EDH story

Mine is where I Mindslaver someone playing Elfball, and then the guy right before them in turn order spends 20 minutes working around our group's "no infinite combo" rule (from that weird staggered turn EDH style I've mentioned before) to mill "me" out, pissing the dozen other players off in the process. After he does, turn passes to me and on "my upkeep" I sac Nissa's Chosen to Eldrazi Monument and kill him :laugh:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Can anyone link that site that shows a sets value by making the cards larger and bigger? Google is failing me.

VV Thanks.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 5, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

Wow, that really is a five mana 3/4 creature which costs just about the same as a Delta or a Strand.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 5, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

Wow, that really is a five mana 3/4 creature which costs just about the same as a Delta or a Strand.

It's actually two 3/4s.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How is Sarkhan still so expensive?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How is Sarkhan still so expensive?

He's a Dragon, and a Planeswalker, and Dragon Planeswalker.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The Wicked Wall posted:

To be fair probably the bigger reason your post was met with a bunch of attitude is that it's closer to an E/N post than one that needs to be answered specifically by a bunch of magic players. It has very little to do with EDH politics and way more to do with "how do I handle having issues with another adult human being", especially considering you know your playgroup and they're not just a bunch of strangers.

That being said if your playgroup is about encouraging durdly fun over win-first, cutthroat plays, then be an adult about it and tell that other guy to gently caress off, get a new deck, or find new friends.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

He's a Dragon, and a Planeswalker, and Dragon Planeswalker.

That and any deck with red can play him, and he's also a Good Card.

Jeskai really likes him for the mirror and he's a great beater that does things Stormbreath can't, and Stormbreath's still a 20 dollar card.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Eh... I don't know much about Magic, but I'm bored. I need to kill some time.

I could research this, but I'm sure someone here already knows. Is there some list of decks which are considered really "cheap"? I don't mean in a "expensive" sense, I mean in the "rear end in a top hat" sense. Whatever is the cheapest, dirtiest and ugliest deck, I want to know. Bonus points if it is a deck that consistently creates ties, if a tie in Magic is possible.

I just want to play with the computer, I won't actually use any of it on humans.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Against the computer? Do you mean like Duels of the Planeswalkers?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

No Gravitas posted:

Eh... I don't know much about Magic, but I'm bored. I need to kill some time.

I could research this, but I'm sure someone here already knows. Is there some list of decks which are considered really "cheap"? I don't mean in a "expensive" sense, I mean in the "rear end in a top hat" sense. Whatever is the cheapest, dirtiest and ugliest deck, I want to know. Bonus points if it is a deck that consistently creates ties, if a tie in Magic is possible.

I just want to play with the computer, I won't actually use any of it on humans.

If you mean competitive in a real format, whatever deck is "cheap/assholish" will also be expensive, because you probably mean which deck can win the most. If you don't mean that, you probably mean combo, which can fizzle and do nothing or go off and beat your opponent before they have a chance to do anything. Thats Jeskai Ascendency in standard, and I guess modern right now, too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There is no computer to play against though...
The deck you want is stax.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is this thing called "Wagic", that is what I want to use. I thought it had some AI that I could beat up in extremely unfair ways?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

There is this thing called "Wagic", that is what I want to use. I thought it had some AI that I could beat up in extremely unfair ways?

I misread your post, I'm sorry. I don't know what Wagic is, the only ways I know to play against a "computer" are Duels of the Planeswalkers and the Shandralar game from like 20 years ago

ok just looked briefly at Wagic; so its a goldfish simulator? In that case try a Storm deck.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

No Gravitas posted:

Just make a deck with 60 Force of Wills, hope that helps

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

No Gravitas posted:

Are you and this computer playing in a specific format, or are we talking "Every Magic card ever printed is fair game and there's no deck size"?

If it's the latter, I suggest Mountain, Black Lotus, Channel, Fireball, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation, and call it a day.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just make a deck with 60 Force of Wills, hope that helps

Gonna need some sphinx revelations in that deck too.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stax seems promising. Thanks for advice everyone. This should kill a few good hours.

EDIT: I do need 40 cards and up to 4 of each, but any card ever printed works!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

Stax seems promising. Thanks for advice everyone. This should kill a few good hours.

EDIT: I do need 40 cards and up to 4 of each, but any card ever printed works!

There are no existing decks that you could look at because there has not been a way to play Magic with 4 of any card as an option since like 1993 and even then your deck had to have 60 cards.

The most busted deck with a library minimum of 40 and no ban/restricted list? try the following.

4x Channel
4x Fireball
4x Black Lotus
4x Ancestral Recall
4x Mox Sapphire
4x Mox Ruby
4x Mox Emerald
4x Pact of Negation
4x Time Walk
4x Time Twister

That should pretty much win turn 1 or 2 every single time.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

There are no existing decks that you could look at because there has not been a way to play Magic with 4 of any card as an option since like 1993 and even then your deck had to have 60 cards.

The most busted deck with a library minimum of 40 and no ban/restricted list? try the following.

4x Channel
4x Fireball
4x Black Lotus
4x Ancestral Recall
4x Mox Sapphire
4x Mox Ruby
4x Mox Emerald
4x Pact of Negation
4x Time Walk
4x Time Twister

That should pretty much win turn 1 or 2 every single time.

Could be made better by adding conspiracies.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm guessing Wagic doesn't have conspiracies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I'm wondering if you could make better use of your time.

• Locked thread