Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
CT, Governor - 42.80% reporting
Tom Foley49.93%
Republican226,691
Dan Malloy48.94%
Democrat222,221

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yes, the Senate is inherently gerrymandered to favor Republicans. This is just a reversion to the 55-45 R majority mean.

The GOP has been federalizing pretty much every election down to dog catcher lately so it seems obvious that the natural way of things is for them to become way over-represented in the Senate once they reached the endgame of states voting in line with their Presidential ticket at worst (and somewhat better when you consider that two-thirds of those elections happen in off years), but apparently this is still surprising and unexpected to informed political observers.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

hhhat posted:

Explain. I mean, I've seen this chart. Explain it though because I'm not following.

The median state holding a Senate election this year is much redder than the US as a whole. Dems are fighting on unfriendly territory.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Baker up 16k with 81% reporting.

Man it was nice when Martha was up for a little while.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Alexzandvar posted:

If a Democrat got elected a couple cities might get dykes and what not to protect them.

Hey, I thought we had come further in LGBT acceptance than that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mitt Romney posted:

The Senate is not gerrymandered. It's impossible to gerrymander.

Unless you count "every state gets 2 senators" to be gerrymandering

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I can't wait for the CA governor results so that Neel Kashkari can be the shining face of our great state.

Yeah that ain't happening. Fuhrer Brown reigns supreme.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Joementum posted:

The chart shows that the states where there are Senate elections this this are abnormally skewed toward states that don't favor the last President elected for the first time since WWII. This means that we can expected the biggest Senate return difference in the span of two years since the forties.

In other words, just coincidental but it keeps on going. Got it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Which is what Warner was down at that point

But what places are still left to report? With Warner the missing percentages were heavily Democratic.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

axeil posted:

So if the House and Senate are both gerrymandered to favor the GOP what is structurally set up to favor the Dems?

I'd say the unemployment line, but that will be going away shortly :v:

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Mitt Romney posted:

Although it would be awesome if it could be. Imagine every state border being turned into long snakelike figures every 6 years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
11:00 PM

• California
  • Idaho (PST)
  • North Dakota (MST)
  • Oregon (PST)
  • Washington
  • Hawai'i

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

i think its just referring to how stupid hillbilly states that no one lives in get the same amount of senators as say, california

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

I know. that's what I was getting at.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

A deliberate misuse of nomenclature on my part to imply that there are far more low-population Republican rural states than high-population Democratic urban states, and as such, Republicans have an inherent advantage.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah Scott Brown just went down again. Thank christ

God drat I'm catching up in the thread and about had a heart attack.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Jagchosis posted:

i think its just referring to how stupid hillbilly states that no one lives in get the same amount of senators as say, california

Wasn't that the whole point?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

hhhat posted:

Even worse Obamacare and cyborgs will revive me after I pull the trigger. There is no escape.

Like we're going to get that kind of funding. At least next time Booz Allen or Deloitte comes whining about their rates, I get to tell them, "Suck it up, what made you think letting some other yahoos buy the election make big sacks of cash fall in your laps?"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mitt Romney posted:

It kind of is structurally gerrymandered since like two thirds of the US population is in like 10 states but a bunch of empty land gets as many senators as all of eg California

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
btw i was busy having dinner and then taking a crap so i missed a fair bit of the thread. how did this midterm election come out worse than DnD's expectations? especially wrt specific races.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NEED TOILET PAPER, basically the Democrats lost the senate and the Republican senators we most wanted to lose all won. You may begin drinking heavily.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
AP has called the election for Walker. Just shameful.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

axeil posted:

Alfred P. Pseudonym once posted about duck penises and his favorite chili is Cincinatti chilli.

Can you trust your children's safety to Alfred?

"Cincinatti?"

"Get a duck."

William Bear fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Wasn't that the whole point?

Yes, and it's stupid.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

Unless you count "every state gets 2 senators" to be gerrymandering

Although, there are way more rural states than urban ones.

The GOP/Dem split is the same rural/urban issue that this country has been having since before the Revolutionary War happened.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Shear Modulus posted:

It kind of is structurally gerrymandered since like two thirds of the US population is in like 10 states but a bunch of empty land gets as many senators as all of eg California

Which, before anyone tries to argue otherwise, is absolutely not how it should be.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

gently caress, Pat Roberts won

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

MD is, Baltimore County went pretty strong toward Hogan. Between the surrounding Klan counties, he'll have enough to offset PG/Montgomery and Baltimore votes.

Depends on turnout, Baltimore City PG and Montgomery are coming in now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

limeincoke posted:

For some reason WHO in Iowa is calling it for Ernst, even though Braley is up 8 right now. Can their predictions really be that true?

Dubuque and Johnson Counties are still almost completely yet to report, and Braley needs huge turnout in both of them -- Polk County broke much more strongly for Ernst than polling was suggesting (Braley still won it, but not by anywhere near the margin he needed). He isn't sunk but the vast majority of the counties and precincts that haven't come in yet in Iowa are redder than red.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
that one violent retard guy in new york who's going to prison soon just won re-election

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

btw i was busy having dinner and then taking a crap so i missed a fair bit of the thread. how did this midterm election come out worse than DnD's expectations? especially wrt specific races.

It didn't.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KS called for Roberts omg time to skip the 'sour' part of my cocktails

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brannock posted:

AP has called the election for Walker. Just shameful.

Rand Paul's night just keeps getting worse.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
edit: nevermind

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well atleast CA kept Governor Moonbeam

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Live Daily Show on now, guess I'll watch that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

The only race that is worse than expectations is that Warner is winning in VA by the skin of his teeth rather than by the 10 points that were projected.

Pretty much every other race where where a flip was possible flipped, but that was expected.

Also, apparently MD gubernatorial race is closer than expected. MA gubernatorial and IL gubernatorial are favoring Republicans, but those were tossups with a slight Republican preference anyway, so not MUCH worse than expected.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Christ is Rauner seriously going to win. Quinn you fuckhead way to have the distinction of being beaten by the IL republican party.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The 3 Republican governors (Walker, Kasich, and Snyder) who took on public unions all won tonight in purple states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I can't wait for the CA governor results so that Neel Kashkari can be the shining face of our great state.

You sound uncool .

William Bear fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 5, 2014

• Locked thread