Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Speaking of bad refs, the two tonight were complete poo poo. The guy I play D with was getting tripped left and right. A few times right into the loving boards and they didn't do poo poo about it. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dangerllama posted:

You played crossbar or post, yeah?

Idunno, I always have fun when there's a hot-poo poo Dangles McGee playing. Unless he's on my team. Then gently caress him, I just make sure never to pass to him.

I mean, I actually generally enjoy playing defensively at drop in but when someone's better enough than everyone else to keep the puck forever and then does, it gets old after a while.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
In my one E league (which only has two teams that just play each other over and over), there's a girl on the other team who is just a complete dick. She's a pretty good skater, but any time she gets the puck you might as well converge on her because there's no way she's passing (presumably because she's not as confident while carrying the puck, puts her head down, and has no awareness of her teammates).

A couple games ago, I was playing D and caught up to her from behind just as she entered the zone. I swung at the puck pretty hard (one of those sidways two-handed choppers) and she flipped out. "What the gently caress are you doing?" etc etc. Ref called me for slashing, which I briefly argued because I hadn't hit her stick at all, just the puck. Ref tells me that since it's E league, he doesn't want to see those two handed lumberjack swings, which I guess I buy, even though I was coming from the side and not over the top of her stick.

Fast forward to today. She still refuses to get rid of the puck when someone's on her, and I force her to turn it over a bunch of times. Every single time I do, she turns around and does the same lumberjack swing across my shins, stick, or skate. Every time. I mentioned it to the ref (who was the same one who called me for it previously) and he said he'd keep an eye out for it, but I don't think he's going to call poo poo on her. I guess I just get to keep getting whacked for the rest of the season.

Since I'm apparently never going to get the call, how can I troll her for maximum satisfaction?

TL;DR: Wah wah I am a giant baby and a girl keeps slashing me help me goons what do I do

bgreman fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 5, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
punch her in the tit, am serious

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
There's a team in my area (all girl team in co-ed rec league) that is known for taking liberties on their opponents like that (two handers, elbows, cup checks) but if you so much as stick lift them they go down like they've been shot. It's been going on a couple years now and they still manage to draw penalties without taking them.

So I guess either just deal with it or play their game, next time it happens pretend you're Gaborik soaring over Hasek.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
the girls in the league i play in are the dirtiest players in the league. constant slew foots, slashes to the wrists, cup checks, attempted blindside hits behind the play.

they always get away with it, of course.

one time one of the worse of the cheapshotty ladies tried to stand me up at the blue line as i was carrying the puck in so i just skated through her and she got rocked. total yard sale for her and i maintained possession the whole time.

10 minute misconduct for me.

lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I try to skate pretty careful around the girls because I have like 70 pounds on all of them (minimum) and they blow up at the slightest bit of contact.

There was one that put me in a headlock in a board battle once, which kind of threw me off. She got an elbow in the stomach, which just made her clamp down harder but I'll take what I can get.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
There's a girl on my team who assumes any incidental contact was a dirty play by the other team and then talks about how she's going to try to sneak in a cross check or put the guy on his rear end next shift.

I ignore it and hope she is just talking big and doesn't get us a stupid penalty.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 5, 2014

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Even worse is the team of husbands and wives.

Cuz then you have some doof jumping off the bench and trying to drop gloves with you because you stick lifted his puck bunny. One of the husbands is a goalie and his wife is a defender, so if you make any sort of fancy deke on his wife he'll just leave his crease and try to tackle you or run you into the boards.

I'm so glad I only spent a season in that league. (E league)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ban women from rec hockey imo

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

"I want you gone! Here's my vote!"

I hate living in Oklahoma.

For me, Kasich sucked but he did not suck so hard to force me to vote for a terrible, terrible loving candidate.

So I voted Green.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doctor Butts posted:

For me, Kasich sucked but he did not suck so hard to force me to vote for a terrible, terrible loving candidate.

So I voted Green.

Sup Butts how're those multiple tabs treating you

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bgreman posted:

TL;DR: Wah wah I am a giant baby and a girl keeps slashing me help me goons what do I do

Find a clever way to fall on her stick so it breaks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

ban women from rec hockey imo

How about just the assholes, regardless of what exists in their crotch. Then we could all enjoy the nirvana of hockey, everyone has fun and makes clean passes and sweet top shelf goals.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

RazorDX posted:

Even worse is the team of husbands and wives.

Cuz then you have some doof jumping off the bench and trying to drop gloves with you because you stick lifted his puck bunny. One of the husbands is a goalie and his wife is a defender, so if you make any sort of fancy deke on his wife he'll just leave his crease and try to tackle you or run you into the boards.

I'm so glad I only spent a season in that league. (E league)

This is why my guy refuses to play hockey: he says the first time someone touches me he'll get suspended. I don't think he understands that I play co-ed at the biggest hug-box rink there ever was.

As far as the girls playing dirty thing goes: every week I have women's league I have a bruise on my left wrist right above my glove, and any week I play D is a week I get punched in the boob. BUT any time someone has put their stick blade around my ankle and pulled, hit me when neither one of us had the puck, slapped me in the cage with a stick blade, etc. it's been a guy every single time.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
By raw percentages, the girls I have played with historically are much less assholeish than the guys. C leagues are also mostly just assholes. Don't know about A or B because I am bad at hockey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Most people are level headed that I've ever played with.

Its usually dudes who are massive assholes but there are assholes everywhere in life, not just hockey.

There are two types of assholes. Those with skill and should probably be playing at a higher level, and those without skill who think its everyone else's fault they suck. Both are overly aggressive and don't understand the meaning of "recreational hockey".

gently caress those guys, they all ruin the game unless you play well enough to force them to take stupid undisciplined penalties or break up their sick dangles with a great defensive play.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

So I voted Green.

Are you Ambiening mid-day now?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bradf0rd posted:

Butts' tolerance has been built up so much, he just has an IV attached 24/7.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Had my second ever drop-in last night and it really surprised me that it was better than my first. All of the players seemed more competent, but the game itself was friendlier and more positive, even if the level of competition were higher. The difference in skill between the upper Silver league guys and the lower Bronze league guys (who still easily out-handle me) is amazing.

I think having a huge-rear end spaghetti dinner 90 minutes before gametime helped my energy levels, even though this time I was put up in Left Wing, meaning I was as far from the benches as could be and ended up skating end-to-end on every play since our D seemed to like living below the goal line.

it was one of the goalies' first night in the crease, which was pretty cool seeing the smile on his face with his first save. Man I can't wait for the 18th when I play again.

Edit: also thanks for the advice regarding backwards crossunders and the balance issue, I think that's a big part of my hesitation with them and it's something I can work on during public skate.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Did you all get added to the Sunday drop in email? It filled super quick this week after the Staples skate

I didn't, we'd love to join since our sunday league is ending soon and I think Nitramster wants to join the next league up and move closer to the south bay.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
There is nothing worse than having to take a poo poo after you've fully dressed and don't really have time to undress and take care of things. I don't know what is worse, going to the bathroom with skates on or snowboard boots. However there is nothing better than scoring an over the shoulder off the crossbar and in goal. That pretty much made up for the awkward pre-game dump. The goal was for the tie but unfortunately we lost in the final minute on a really soft goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I made it a habit a long time go to dump a load before going and doing anything major.. a party, a show, a road trip, whatever. Then when I started skating I just kept that habit.

Be an adult. :colbert:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nothing is worse than a 1st period prairie dog.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Having to make the run of shame between the second and third periods because you drank too much beforehand sucks. Happened to me for the first time about a month back. Ended up missing a shift :(

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

bigbillystyle posted:

There is nothing worse than having to take a poo poo after you've fully dressed and don't really have time to undress and take care of things. I don't know what is worse, going to the bathroom with skates on or snowboard boots. However there is nothing better than scoring an over the shoulder off the crossbar and in goal. That pretty much made up for the awkward pre-game dump. The goal was for the tie but unfortunately we lost in the final minute on a really soft goal.

The cool thing about playing in an arena that houses a professional sports team is that there are way more than enough bathrooms where you can go to drop a duece in peace.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

I made it a habit a long time go to dump a load before going and doing anything major.. a party, a show, a road trip, whatever. Then when I started skating I just kept that habit. Mo

Hey it snuck up on me. Even adults can be snuck up on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's odd, I didn't know Luongo posted here.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So in my last two games, my team has managed to score 5 goals.

3 of them on me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pleads posted:

Sup Butts how're those multiple tabs treating you

Haha holy poo poo.

Not only multiple tabs, different computers. Work computer was on right thread but for some reason personal computer was the one I responded on.

Bradf0rd posted:

No, actually I just started back up since being off for months after a hellish two and a half weeks of 3 hours of sleep (or less) a night :[

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 7, 2014

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

So in my last two games, my team has managed to score 5 goals.

3 of them on me.

Goalie thread is over there. Leave this thread for the crazy people threatening to punch goalies and getting in fights. :haw:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

come to think of it, do we really need two threads?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Keep the goalies out.

They're weird, man.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gio posted:

Yes, every other post will be pad masturbation.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

I made it a habit a long time go to dump a load before going and doing anything major.. a party, a show, a road trip, whatever. Then when I started skating I just kept that habit.

A lifetime of playing hockey has set me on an afternoon dump schedule.

always about 2 hours before the game I get the tinge.

HOCKEY!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Gio posted:

You don't want us in here constantly. It will be gear chat, GoPro review, and how our defense is the worst defense to ever put on skates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

You don't want us in here constantly. It will be gear chat, GoPro review, and how our defense is the worst defense to ever put on skates.

That sounds pretty much like this thread.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

this thread is 99% trip reports

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

this thread is 99% trip reports

Not only did I finally get my first beer league goal tonight (been playing since February for the record) I got two more for a hatty.

No real skill on my part, all three of them I was camping out in front of the net and hammered at rebounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

There's also some of us who skate out. I announced the 3 goals in 2 games on ourselves mostly as a prelude to a "how the gently caress do skaters score on themselves" discussion for those of us who play D.