Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

J33uk posted:

I know the CNN analysis is usually pretty trite but they do slip the odd good point in there. The bottom fell out of a bunch of races that it shouldn't have. Either there's a massive engagement issue with democratic voters or the President has become a huge liability.

his approval rating has been ticking up lately and no one voted in this election so its the former

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Mitt Romney posted:

Young white males aren't much above 50% on voting for democratic candidates if I remember the 2012 exit polls correctly.

Plenty of young minority males play Call of Duty. Maybe not at the rate that young white males do, but still quite a few.

I know you're half joking here though.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

fknlo posted:

So basically, congress is going to continue to be completely dysfunctional, all of the blame is going to go on Obama, and the Republicans will gain the presidency as well as more senate and house seats in 2016.

Gonna be a fun few years.

A democrat will be the next President :toxx:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Twelve by Pies posted:

I mean this obviously wasn't the case but wasn't there a gag about a Halo game or something coming out right before/on Election Day a few years back? I vaguely seem to recall it at least.

Yep! I guess this thread doesn't want to joke even a little bit tonight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All 9 Massachusetts Congressional districts went Democrat but the governorship went Republican? :psyduck:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
If Jeff Johnson backed Strangecoin early on he might have won.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fknlo posted:

So basically, congress is going to continue to be completely dysfunctional, all of the blame is going to go on Obama, and the Republicans will gain the presidency as well as more senate and house seats in 2016.

Gonna be a fun few years.

That's honestly my prediction but really I think it's a bit too far out to be concrete. It turns out when the media doesn't report honestly, people don't realize what's going on when one party decides to shut down the government until they can worm their way back in power while the other is feckless. I think they can turn it around if they dump their poo poo advisors and totally try and get people involved that understand what people are interested in.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

All 9 Massachusetts Congressional districts went Democrat but the governorship went Republican? :psyduck:

Martha Coakley

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Likely. The 2018 seats would be Class 1. These seats were last elected in 2012 in which they were predicted to go more strongly Republican than they did, which means Democrats would be defending possible Republican pickups in Montana (Tester), North Dakota (Heitkamp), Indiana (Donnelly), Ohio (Brown), Missouri (McCaskill), Florida (Nelson), West Virginia (Manchin) and Virginia (Kaine). Republicans would be defending possible Democratic pickups in only Nevada (Heller) and Arizona (Flake).

2018 seems worse for the senate than 2014.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
MA electing a Republican governor isn't really news. Perhaps you've heard of this guy "Mitt Romney?"

Regardless, I assume MA Dems won't be returning Coakley's calls anymore.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Josh Lyman posted:

This may come as a surprise to you, but I don't think Martha Coakley is a particularly effective candidate.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I was talking to a friend about this, but if someone ran and said "gently caress the check, pay me the minimum $1 a year, I just want to fix this poo poo" do you think they would get a huge vote just based on that alone?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

James Garfield posted:

The initiative to let Nevada tax mining is ahead by 0.1% :unsmith:

:woop::woop:woop:woop:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

his approval rating has been ticking up lately and no one voted in this election so its the former

Yeah, the Dems basically ran from everything that they should have run on like minimum wage increases, obamacare actually working (because it is), and rolling back voter intimidation legislation for minorities. Instead they all distanced themselves from Obama(care), said gently caress you to mnorities, and tried to appear "moderate" on winning issues like minimum wage because they are loving dumb.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So now that the fat french gently caress is still the bloody Governor of Maine, will he try to bypass all of the propositions that got passed and continue to cut budgets? :negative:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Harminoff posted:

I was talking to a friend about this, but if someone ran and said "gently caress the check, pay me the minimum $1 a year, I just want to fix this poo poo" do you think they would get a huge vote just based on that alone?

it would make a good soundbite for election ads. IE it would get tuned out by anyone not already inclined to vote for that person

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, the dems basically ran from everything that they should have run on like minimum wage increases, obamacare actually working (because it is), and rolling back voter intimidation legislation for minorities. Instead they all distanced themselves from Obama(care), said gently caress you to mnorities, and tried to appear "moderate" on winning issues like minimum wage.

But but but but america is a center right country and we would get trashed by the right wing media and also obama is unpopular so we need electable moderates

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
HOPE IN CONNECTICUT???

Malloy claimed victory, Foley was giving a speech that turned into basically a concession speech by the end although he said wait for final numbers.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Harminoff posted:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only silver lining I can take from this is MAYBE some Democratic consultants are out of jobs tonight (I doubt it).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amused to Death posted:

HOPE IN CONNECTICUT???

Malloy claimed victory, Foley was giving a speech that turned into basically a concession speech by the end although he said wait for final numbers.

Isn't it a bit early for that?

Radish posted:

The only silver lining I can take from this is MAYBE some Democratic consultants are out of jobs tonight (I doubt it).

The likelihood of democrats learning is about the same as tea-partiers learning not to run their wingnut candidates in primaries.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

:rip: MIGF's employment

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm resigned to living in the most conservative, poverty-stricken state in the union, but it was still a bummer that a local judge I like lost.

Let's drink malt liquor.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

Government needs more fantastically rich people good idea

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Radish posted:

Nah, they gotta go through the infighting and arguing over what went wrong first.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like Wendy Davis lost by 21 or so points. To quote the great Bob Uecker, the Democrat's attempt to turn Texas blue was juuuuuuust a bit outside.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
seriously i know massachusetts is the land of terrible politicians (romney, brown, kerry, ducockis) but why the gently caress did they run one of the worst candidates of the 21st century a second time? an autistic manchild would be a more effective campaigner than coakley

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Godinster posted:

Honest question:

Why do Americans not seem to give a gently caress about money in politics? How is this not the one and only issue from the supposed left voters? I know Mayday is somewhat big but they got annihilated.

Protip: it's impossible to remove money from politics unless you remove capital from private control.

fknlo posted:

Doubt it. Gonna get some Grand Bargains up in this bitch!

Wonder if the talk about privatizing air traffic control will actually go somewhere with the Republicans back in charge? That will be fun.

Remember how every Grand Bargain ever fell through because republicans got too demanding? Yeah there won't be any now either.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

A democrat will be the next President :toxx:

Same! :toxx:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Couple of Republican posters showed up, said they were happy about the results, has now turned into trolling and "Eat it, libs, we're now free from your poo poo."

There are a few TFF posters in that thread who have lovely opinions but I don't care enough to remember their names.

I read the last page and it seemed to be "post competing anecdotes on how your health insurance premiums went up or down in the past year or twi" like that was the end-all be-all metric so I assumed everything else wasn't worth reading, thanks for confirming.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mucYcm6moe0

This guy was a candidate. A Democratic candidate.

:911:

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Not a chance. All you'd have to do is bring up the large soda ban and he'd be ridiculed into submission.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

JosefStalinator posted:

Isn't it a bit early for that?

look, don't make me start drinking again. Basically Malloy says he probably won and Foley says he probably lost. Still very, very, very close though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

seriously i know massachusetts is the land of terrible politicians (romney, brown, kerry, ducockis) but why the gently caress did they run one of the worst candidates of the 21st century a second time? an autistic manchild would be a more effective campaigner than coakley

Because Massachusetts has a permanent state legislature supermajority that can handily override all vetos. So Massholes feel like it's safe to grab a republican governor now and again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

So Alex loving Sink (who couldn't win a vacant House seat in a swing district) outperformed "Democrat" Charlie Crist. Wonderful. gently caress this state.

Well Scott had the advantage of coming from the same party as Crist after his tenure so it's not as though he had much advantage there.

With almost 100% of ballots in (we're missing a bunch of Provisional and Overseas ballots as well as some Absentee ballots), it's Scott confirmed for victory with 2,856,957 votes (48.22%) against Crist with 2,784,771 votes (47%). The spread is ~72 thousand.

In comparison, in 2010, Scott won with 2,619,335 votes (48.87%) against Alex Sink with 2,557,785 votes (47.72%) for a spread of about 61.5 thousand votes.

Yeah, Sink performed better than Crist, but not by much and it didn't help that neither were so unpopular that the Libertarian candidate got 3.75% of the vote (~220,000).

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

Not a chance. All you'd have to do is bring up the large soda ban and he'd be ridiculed into submission.

He's also the anti-gun bogeyman. He's also short, Jewish, and remarkably uncharismatic. I was just trying to say that it's been done.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Goetta posted:

Government needs more fantastically rich people good idea

Seriously though...

Even in the House, most of your expenses are paid outside of salary, right? Travel to/from home, allowance for staff salaries, office infrastructure, franking, etc. It would be a fun experiment.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tatankatonk posted:

Actually I think it might have been the deliberate political choices of the Democratic Party leadership for the past 6 years

Yeah, basically Obama being like 'thanks kids, I'm out to do nothing you care about" for the last 4-6 years did not help.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

zakharov posted:

He's also the anti-gun bogeyman. He's also short, Jewish, and remarkably uncharismatic. I was just trying to say that it's been done.

more importantly he'll be 74 in 2016.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

True, but I've seen headlines this year like "Is Michael Bloomberg Weighing a 2016 Presidential Run?" and just yeah good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Alaska coming in and Sullivan won. Hooray, this state isn't going to miss out on the suck party

• Locked thread