Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
At least my Rep seat is probably gonna flip, though really the reason why we had a Republican last term was jungle primary silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, yeah, tie the candidate to the record, but to see a Republican landslide like this is so surprising because I thought the GOP was just as, if not more, unpopular. Yeah, they were going to take the Senate, obviously, but they just seemed to win handily all too easily. I mean, Warner fell. That's... that's no good.

warner won dude

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

axeil posted:

Because the Democratic campaign was: "we aren't Republicans." That's...not a good platform.

No, the Democratic message this election was "we don't like Obama, minimum wage increases, or minorities" in stark contrast to the republicans message of "gently caress Obama, minimum wage increases, or minorities".

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Warner is still leading???

But yes, he is winning by a much smaller margin than expected.

Whoops, yeah, forgot he caught up. Thank goodness for Fairfax County.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, yeah, tie the candidate to the record, but to see a Republican landslide like this is so surprising because I thought the GOP was just as, if not more, unpopular. Yeah, they were going to take the Senate, obviously, but they just seemed to win handily all too easily. I mean, Warner fell. That's... that's no good.

*almost fell. He ended up winning by about 1%

The GOP had 2 advantages working for it this cycle.

1. Midterms have low turnout. GOP voters are, for a variety of demographic reasons, way more likely to vote than Democratic voters. This gave them the first edge (note polls with RVs having races like IA-Sen near even and with LVs it has a solid GOP lean).

2. The President's party always loses seats in the midterm. I'm not sure what the cause for this is, probably the loss of coattails or voter fatigue, but with the exception of 2002 the President's party has lost seats in every midterm since 1990.

When you combine these two with extremely weak campaigning by the Dems it's not a surprise this was a blowout. The only chance the Dems had was that people's general malaise against the GOP caused them to vote against them.

They didn't. They just stayed home instead.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It's cool how Vermont and Minnesota aren't gonna make a big kerfluffle about seceding from the Union

Dead Last
Feb 2, 2005

Stark for America!
The worst part of this election is showing a political party can cynically sabotage the effective functioning of government and be rewarded by a public frustrated by the lack of government functioning.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Plinkey posted:

Um, the opposite.

Even though I voted for the Dem in MD. This will start a huge derail I assume but Brown ran a dumb as gently caress ad about he was all for banning AR-15s and AKs in MD. That poo poo was gold to any republican that saw it and basically said 'lets grind this poo poo into the ground!' vote for mini-cristie (and make sure you turn out in numbers in the county).

Gun control is going to be a losing issue for the Dems for at least a generation in a parallel vein to gay marriage being a losing issue for Republicans for the forseeable future. Any Democrat who so much as mentions guns when economics are a bona fide winning issue is a grade-A moron.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

For some reason it takes 2 losses to get rid of bored millionaires running for office in Connecticut.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So for the past couple hours I've been following the Minnesota State House elections. The state GOP will almost certainly control that chamber, the only variance is by how much. So Dayton and the DFL-controlled State Senate have to negotiate with Republicans to get anything done for the next two years.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Um, the opposite.

Even though I voted for the Dem in MD. This will start a huge derail I assume but Brown ran a dumb as gently caress ad about he was all for banning AR-15s and AKs in MD. That poo poo was gold to any republican that saw it and basically said 'lets grind this poo poo into the ground!' vote for mini-cristie (and make sure you turn out in numbers in the county).

e: For ref:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SH4RvmS2WA

This is basically republican vote bait in MD.

You would think the 90s would've taught the Dems to shut up about gun control because while Democratic voters generally support it you're not swaying anyone else. Instead all you do is galvanize your opposition. It's a net loss.

But nope, instead they ended up losing MD-Gov, CO-Sen, CO-Gov and probably a bunch of other races because they couldn't help themselves.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

axeil posted:

2. The President's party always loses seats in the midterm. I'm not sure what the cause for this is, probably the loss of coattails or voter fatigue, but with the exception of 2002 the President's party has lost seats in every midterm since 1990.

Senate term lengths mean that the same Senate seats elected when a new President comes in are elected again at the six-year midterm. The Dems today needed Obama's help to win, while the Rs won despite Obama.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fox News now saying that Obama is the obstructionist. How long have they been running with this?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 5, 2014

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Fox News now saying that Obama is the obstructionist. How long have they been running with this?

Since like 2008?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Josh Lyman posted:

November 2010.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

axeil posted:

Take the victories you can. VA-Sen, CT-Gov, maybe CO-gov, PA-gov. In 2010 the Dems lost literally everything. Like I can't think of a single race they won they shouldn't have except DE-Sen.

NE-02 :smugdog:

Unless Omaha is secretly hard R, it might be a hilariously inconsequential pickup.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Since like 2008?

Nah, they waited at least until a little after he was inaugurated. So February-March 2009.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

axeil posted:

You would think the 90s would've taught the Dems to shut up about gun control because while Democratic voters generally support it you're not swaying anyone else. Instead all you do is galvanize your opposition. It's a net loss.

But nope, instead they ended up losing MD-Gov, CO-Sen, CO-Gov and probably a bunch of other races because they couldn't help themselves.

CO gov isn't done yet (though it shouldn't have been this close, yeah) and to be fair sandy hook seemed like good cover for gun control at the time

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In other referendum news, Oregon resoundingly rejected letting illegal immigrants drive legally on Oregon roads.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

November 2010.
I always thought their position was that he was weak, lacked leadership, and was a radical communist.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Four more years of Paul LePage, god drat it Maine. At least Sam Brownback winning made sense from the perspective of a blood red state.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

CO gov isn't done yet (though it shouldn't have been this close, yeah) and to be fair sandy hook seemed like good cover for gun control at the time

The best news source in america strongly disagrees with you.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

axeil posted:

The reason the Dems didn't win this one is because they had no platform. Quick, without anyone looking anything up, tell me what the Dem house/Senate candidate in your state wanted to pass if they were elected.

I can handle this one, because I didn't have a Democratic Congressional candidate to vote for. This is in FL-13, a district consisting of most of Pinellas County.

I went to vote this morning and was positively blown away by the fact that there was no Democratic candidate on the ballot. This isn't rural Texas or anything; it's a swing district in a swing state.

I wish I'd gone to the county Democrat meetings this year. If I'd known there was nobody willing to run in the general after the disastrous special election to fill the late Bill Young's seat this February, I'd have run as a stereotypical "liberal" Dem and staffed my campaign with USF poli-sci students looking to write theses and probably gotten 35% without any state or national support because I was a warm body with a (D) by my name.

It totally blows my mind that the state Democratic Party had their poo poo so scattered that they couldn't even field a candidate for Congress in this race.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jagchosis posted:

If you want to win votes there's never a good cover for gun control, the gun people will always outlast you. If the dems gave up on gun control I honestly think they could take back to blue collar southern bloc in the next 20 years but there is too much distrust now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

axeil posted:

Cuomo was re-elected by 13 points, dude's basically Gunbunny Hitler.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Oregon Governor is a nice hold as well, especially since there was some worry about it towards the end.

Actually, if you just look at Oregon, this election went pretty well!

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i hate everything and everyone and i'm trying to drink myself but its not working because i try that most nights anyway. please advise

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Time for somebody (Rahm?) to eat Steve Israel

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In other referendum news, Oregon resoundingly rejected letting illegal immigrants drive legally on Oregon roads.

I listened to a presentation by one of the opposition organizers on the 'City Club of Eugene' (or something like it on NPR) several weeks ago and one of his points was, "do you want these people to date your daughter?"

First time I ever heard someone say that and mean it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

i hate everything and everyone and i'm trying to drink myself but its not working because i try that most nights anyway. please advise

Think back to the Super Bowl Wheez :unsmith:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
RIP Governor Kashkari. Some things just aren't meant to be.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

wheez the roux posted:

same. this election is so bad i am barely buzzed even though i've drank several hundred ml of vodka

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

same. this election is so bad i am barely buzzed even though i've drank several hundred ml of vodka

I just argued with people in the 2014 thread for like 2 hours and it's 2 in the morning. I'm not drunk but I feel like I should be.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

LOL@ Del Norte County.

Oh, look, Del Norte made me laugh instead of shudder! That is progress!

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wheez the roux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Jagchosis posted:

ml? DIE COMMIE. I'm about to pour myself to 12 ALL-AMERICAN LIQUID OUNCES of bourbon.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
7000 vote deficit come on hick

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That just proves that there is hope for Orange County yet. there is no hope, only zuul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If Joni Ernst gets re-elected in 6 years, I swear to god I am moving back to Iowa and shaking every loving hand in the entire state running against her. I don't care that I'm a poor college drop-out, I do not want that woman in office.

• Locked thread