Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do 30k players feel about mech lists? I had a Typhon waiting to be painted for my Death Guard, but instead primered it black and now I'm toying with the idea of doing an Iron Hands ground armor list. My usual 30k opponent plays at 3k points so I won't feel like I'm cheesing in armor into smaller games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Sitting in SFO International Terminal 3.5 hours early for my flight to London (and then train to Nottingham). Still I suppose it's better than being late for the flight!

Completed painting about 2600 points of Word Bearers today with my Gal Vorbak 10 man unit being the last one. They are "Tabletop Quality" at the moment. Which basically means I havent added some of the writing and symbols I want to do all over the armor and vehicles. Still - working at 1 hour per night (sometimes more, sometimes less) really helped me get all of this done in about 3-4 weeks.

Edit: Forgot to include pics!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 5, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man you're that close to doing warhammer pomodoro

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Finished my warboss and the start of his band. Lotta grots.

Waaagh!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

Sitting in SFO International Terminal 3.5 hours early for my flight to London (and then train to Nottingham). Still I suppose it's better than being late for the flight!

Completed painting about 2600 points of Word Bearers today with my Gal Vorbak 10 man unit being the last one. They are "Tabletop Quality" at the moment. Which basically means I havent added some of the writing and symbols I want to do all over the armor and vehicles. Still - working at 1 hour per night (sometimes more, sometimes less) really helped me get all of this done in about 3-4 weeks.

Edit: Forgot to include pics!

These are awesome and all, but is there any particular reason you made pretty much everything crimson while keeping the Ashen Circle dudes grey? I know that was the legion's old color scheme before they fell to chaos, I just thought they would've changed too. Not that it actually matters since these are your models. I was just curious.

\/\/\/\/\/
Cool, like I said, I was just curious. It makes sense given their name and role, but I didn't know if they changed their scheme with the rest of the legion or not.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Safety Factor posted:

These are awesome and all, but is there any particular reason you made pretty much everything crimson while keeping the Ashen Circle dudes grey? I know that was the legion's old color scheme before they fell to chaos, I just thought they would've changed too. Not that it actually matters since these are your models. I was just curious.

They are supposed to be grey - I suppose to represent the ashes of all the works they have burned....

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ghost Hand posted:

They are supposed to be grey - I suppose to represent the ashes of all the works they have burned....

Just a heads up that force does not seem to have a single HQ model.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Just a heads up that force does not seem to have a single HQ model.

Praetor in the top picture right side, look for the terminators.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 5, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is an awesome page full of awesome painted stuff!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

How do 30k players feel about mech lists? I had a Typhon waiting to be painted for my Death Guard, but instead primered it black and now I'm toying with the idea of doing an Iron Hands ground armor list. My usual 30k opponent plays at 3k points so I won't feel like I'm cheesing in armor into smaller games.

Depends on your legion and list. Some do mech better than others while others do foot slogging better. Core issue is that it costs 200 points for 10 guys in a rhino. For 50 points more, you could have 20 guys instead. You loose flexibility, but gain resilience and bang for the buck.

Clown car lists are scary though. At 3000 points you can easily have a typhon backing up two spartans with all the bells + whistles full of 20 man choppy death squads and maybe a rhino or two with support dudes zooming around grabbing objectives or being assholes. I've seen plenty of AV14/15 spam lists and for a lot of armies its almost impossible to deal with the transports.

What could Tyranids do against 2 spartans and a typhon? How about just one achilles alpha?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Ah wow, dunno how I missed that.

Ghost Hand, don't forget Word Bearers need to take a Centurion/Chaplain and you'll need a Diabolist to use the WB rite.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Bearing some Words
Looking good! I'm an especially big fan of the Ashen Circle guys. Those are some great models. Watching the army come together has made me want to do something Chaos-y but I really just want to paint infantry right now.

Also I've been checking out some of the GW painting videos on their Youtube channel. They're altogether really, really nice. I wish they'd do battle reports too.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
A friend of mine recently acquired a large amount of IG and SM for some good prices and has decided to clear out some of his older armies that he doesn't play anymore. He is offering to sell me his decently sized Ork collection as I have often expressed interest in owning a 40K army but without having to glue together a pile of basic marines/guardsmen/boyz just to field a playable army.

I was wondering if I get some pictures of the collection would people be able to tell me what they think is a good price to pay for them?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Ah wow, dunno how I missed that.

Ghost Hand, don't forget Word Bearers need to take a Centurion/Chaplain and you'll need a Diabolist to use the WB rite.

I think Lorgar qualifies yes?

Edit: Crap! Appears he does not. For some reason I thought if you took him transfigured it did. Oops. Well this is a pretty friendly game overall so I think they will let me get away with this little cheat :P

I knew I should have painted up Erebus while I was at it!

Hencoe posted:

Praetor in the top picture right side, look for the terminators.

Correct!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 5, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Gridlocked posted:

I was wondering if I get some pictures of the collection would people be able to tell me what they think is a good price to pay for them?

Can't hurt!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

I think Lorgar qualifies yes?

Edit: Crap! Appears he does not. For some reason I thought if you took him transfigured it did. Oops. Well this is a pretty friendly game overall so I think they will let me get away with this little cheat :P
Beats a free Vindicator!

So I'm taking this list to a tournament this weekend. It's not a terribly good list, but I'm proud of the presentation:

SRM fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 5, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

It's also better than sitting in LAX for the same amount of time. :suicide:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ghost Hand, are you going to be in the gaming hall tomorrow afternoon (on Thursday)? I'll be heading up there for an interview and will swing by to see what the state of the construction is these days.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

Crisis Suits in Kill Team are completely, insufferably not fun. I took a team of 3 with Pathfinder support to a little Kill Team event and cleaned house, but had no fun doing so because they just annihilated everything saves or no.
As a big fan of Crisis suits, this vaguely pleases me :v:. I'd been thinking of putting a Pathfinder/Crisis based Kill Team. What sort of weapons do you usually take?

Fusion blasters are obviously out, as they're overkill against infantry. Missile pods don't seem too necessary either, as the arena's fairly small and in theory doesn't have a lot of long line of sight areas.

Plasma seems pretty great, as it'd be easy to be in Rapid Fire range and it wounds pretty much anything you'll be fighting on a a 2 or a 3, I'm pretty sure.

Burst cannons seem like they might be more useful than in normal 40k, simply because there's likely to be less good armor and the 5 point difference matters more (and ranges are shorter).

I'm not sure how useful flamers would be, though they are cheap, and they could take down more than one model in theory. Probably depends on how much the other guy clumps up his minis.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it should not be very surprising one of the best units in the game that happens to cost 20 points would be very good in kill-team games

edit: pretty much what gaylord said (don't play tau in general)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Burst cannons and missile pods wreck poo poo in Kill team.

Don't be that guy with crisis suits.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

But I like the minis so much. :smith:

But fair enough. I can run orks in KT instead, if Tau are totally unfair.

Also, I knew suits were good, but I didn't realize they were one of the best units. I guess I didn't really think about it, though it fits with how well they've been doing for me, heh.

I do know they pretty much enable my Tau playstyle (combined with giving Devilfish to my troops). I don't do a static gunline with Tau; I take advantage of Jet Pack and their skimmer transports to move around a lot. Slap a velocity tracker (and early warning override) onto a Riptide for really good anti-air...

I wish all the codexes had as many valid options as Tau do. Basically, what, Vespids and drone squadonrs aren't very good, and everything else is playable? I've not tried either of their flyers yet.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 5, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If you like the minis then you can run Kroot and Vespid and suffer in mediocrity with the rest of us.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

But Kroot aren't jet pack mech suits! They are cool, though.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Can someone clarify for me how a quad gun (on an aegis line) works now? I get that it's no longer in the core rules but in stronghold assault - with the skyfire/interceptor changes from 6th ed, does it now need 6s to hit non-flyer, non-skimmer targets? If so I may have cheated a bit at that tournament.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeah, it now makes snap shots against ground forces.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

Beats a free Vindicator!

So I'm taking this list to a tournament this weekend. It's not a terribly good list, but I'm proud of the presentation:

Did you make a 2nd-Ed style Stalker? Did you! :syoon:

Really cool list printing, but the extra ink hurts my wallet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It sound like both of my Kill Team choices are Broken and No Fun. gently caress it, time to go green. At least with Orks I'll be able to gently caress around a lot with the models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Did you make a 2nd-Ed style Stalker? Did you! :syoon:

Really cool list printing, but the extra ink hurts my wallet.

My Stalker counts-as is just a Whirlwind using the Epicast missile turret:

And it's not like I use my printer or go to tournaments all that often anywho; figure it's a fun enough usage of my ink.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Crisis suits in KT would completely own with being able to jump around. Kill team relies heavily on LoS and cover, as even taking one wound is usually a massive risk to endure for a single model.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What about stealth suits?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just say the battlefield isn inside of a building with 7ft ceiling. Using jumpacks should require a dangerous terrain test.

Forge a narrative bros.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Just say the battlefield isn inside of a building with 7ft ceiling. Using jumpacks should require a dangerous terrain test.

Forge a narrative bros.

Okay, but Space Marines have to take a dangerous terrain test to avoid hitting their heads.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Venomthropes and Zoanthropes are missing from the GW webstore. Dual kit or maybe a triple kit incoming?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

TKIY posted:

Venomthropes and Zoanthropes are missing from the GW webstore. Dual kit or maybe a triple kit incoming?

Yeah, there is a picture of an upcoming white dwarf with 'psychic horror'or something to that effect on the cover.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

TKIY posted:

I certainly hope so. I've waited for plastics of Zoanthropes, Venomthropes, and also Lictors for so long.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Another Krieger done. Now all that's left is the Vox Operator and the Standard bearer.
Managed to drill through the bottom piece of the standard without completely destroying it even if it required some putty.
Need to order something for the banner pole later.

Now I just need to figure out how I should paint the standard and the vox equipment.
Anyone happen have any neat suggestions that that goes well with the paint scheme I'm using?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

Yeah, it now makes snap shots against ground forces.

Ah well. I am (even before realising that) a bit torn on whether it's a good include. On the one hand, 4+ cover is really good, but there should already be means of getting that in one's own deployment zone, and you can't put the aegis outside of the DZ so it's useless for actually advancing up the field. The quad gun was useful for me against skimmers and flyers because you can man it with a commissar/officer, and give them orders, potentially making it BS4 TL with tank hunters! But if it is only for use against skimmers/fliers, that kind of confirms my gut feeling that it's 100 points that should be spent on a unit instead.

Love the idea of stronghold assault though. If I ever have a house with game room, one of the things I'm blitzing is getting some bunkers and defence lines scratchbuilt so I can play themed defence games with my imperial guard.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Anyone have a copy of Thanatar instructions? My roommates cat destroyed mine last night and I have no idea which tiny pistons go where.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hencoe posted:

Anyone have a copy of Thanatar instructions? My roommates cat destroyed mine last night and I have no idea which tiny pistons go where.

If you bought them legit just mail forgeworld and they'll e-mail you some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

If you bought them legit just mail forgeworld and they'll e-mail you some.

I'd like to think that FW is good enough about customer service that they won't ask if he bought them legit before e-mailing a copy of the instructions

• Locked thread