Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Cao Ni Ma posted:

New Ral sounds so weird. :(

e- Also I'm all for equal stupid clothing. If Fumina gets to fight in her running/cycling clothes and Sekai in his Gi its only natural for team FREE to fight in their swimming trunks.

By the end of it new Ral seemed alright, it's still jarring as hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

Yeah, he sounds way more serious though. But thats probably the direction they wanted to go with in this episode more than anything.

Cant wait to see the all of Team Ameijins but I dont see it happening any time soon considering these are the regionals. Im expecting the all the semifinalist to qualify for the nationals, so even if Team Try ends up losing to Team Mega Shiki they'll carry on to the nationals while still having team from before they have to overcome. Hopefully Gyanko's team makes the cut too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Scene of the episode is Lady owning with the Stargazer. :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Azipod posted:

She should've gotten a Byarlant Custom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

This machine kills Zekes :black101:

I think you're going to be disappointed with the newest episode...

Edit: How lucky for the swim team that they fought in an arena with a large body of water! I am sure their luck will continue.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Green Intern posted:

I think you're going to be disappointed with the newest episode...

Edit: How lucky for the swim team that they fought in an arena with a large body of water! I am sure their luck will continue.

They're totally going to end up against the Try Fighters in a space field and reveal some sort of space mode.

I'd like to know what they'd do in something like the forest or city fields.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Luminaflare posted:

They're totally going to end up against the Try Fighters in a space field and reveal some sort of space mode.

I'd like to know what they'd do in something like the forest or city fields.

Considering that the Colony field modeled a hull breach into space, I wouldn't be surprised if they could tunnel down to find a natural underground lake in any ground-based field.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gyanko continues to be the best character in the show. So powerful, So smug.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Scene of the episode is Lady owning with the Stargazer. :allears:

"How are we supposed to hype up this mystery woman? Last season we had her blow up a dark gundam in a jegan. Ummm a cheap GM, we can one up that with a gundam thats not even supposed to be combat ready"

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

that banner posted:

Undefeated of the East, West, South, North, and Center

Yeah, I pity the poor team that goes up against team Super Asia.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

In the first fight, what was the leading mono-eye suit?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The team that fought the swim team seemed to have a Zaku Tank painted with Guntank colors, except for the arms, and with a GM's head. Why?

everythingWasBees posted:

In the first fight, what was the leading mono-eye suit?

The Bertigo from X. Unless you mean the red one which I'm pretty sure is from Victory.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 5, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Oh boy it's a team whose entire gimmick revolves around underwater fights. Let's stand by the water's edge and stare at the sky instead. No way that could go wrong."

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Ethiser posted:

The team that fought the swim team seemed to have a Zaku Tank painted with Guntank colors, except for the arms, and with a GM's head. Why?

It's probably pretty safe to attribute any strange robot choices in this show purely to the builder's personal preferences.

Or maybe their dog chewed up their actual model the night before the match and this was the best they could slap together from spare parts on such short notice. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A little disappointed by the fights this episode. They kinda continued the problem of the stuff we saw before where there is a "protagonist" and then two units they just don't give as much attention to. Even with Team Try Fighters, we got to see Yuuma and Fumina's Gundams transform and fire off like one shot each. I didn't even realize Yuuma had destroyed his opponent until the battle ended since it looked like he was blocking with his saber-spin. It basically felt like a one-on-one fight beyond that, and we even got Yuuma blowing off Fumina's strategy and nothing coming of it, although that'll hopefully end up biting them late.

I really do think the 3-v-3 battle format is just not one they're really capable of writing/animating around well. I'm hoping there's a really badass 3v3 fight coming up that changes my mind but so far all the 3v3 battles have kinda been crappy, even if they have pretty cool individual moments.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 5, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"How are we supposed to hype up this mystery woman? Last season we had her blow up a dark gundam in a jegan. Ummm a cheap GM, we can one up that with a gundam thats not even supposed to be combat ready"

Stargazer is pretty broken good by itself, though?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

MonsieurChoc posted:

Stargazer is pretty broken good by itself, though?

Yeah the Voiture Lumiere system is ridiculous. I'll deal with it appearing since the Strike Noir at least got a cameo.

ImpAtom posted:

It basically felt like a one-on-one fight beyond that, and we even got Yuuma blowing off Fumina's strategy and nothing coming of it, although that'll hopefully end up biting them late.

Looks like next episode is going to be where the team's gimmicks start conflicting with one another so they might be dealing with this early.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

A little disappointed by the fights this episode. They kinda continued the problem of the stuff we saw before where there is a "protagonist" and then two units they just don't give as much attention to. Even with Team Try Fighters, we got to see Yuuma and Fumina's Gundams transform and fire off like one shot each. I didn't even realize Yuuma had destroyed his opponent until the battle ended since it looked like he was blocking with his saber-spin. It basically felt like a one-on-one fight beyond that, and we even got Yuuma blowing off Fumina's strategy and nothing coming of it, although that'll hopefully end up biting them late.

I really do think the 3-v-3 battle format is just not one they're really capable of writing/animating around well. I'm hoping there's a really badass 3v3 fight coming up that changes my mind but so far all the 3v3 battles have kinda been crappy, even if they have pretty cool individual moments.

I thought the episode was bland and really self serious again, which is a shame. The one bright spot was the Gyanko scene, which seemed to have a different animator working on it too, everybody was a bit more lively in those 30 seconds than the entire rest of the episode.

Swim Team didn't use a hygogg in their short vignette, they are dead to me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Its a team of no names, of course they are going to get chumped. The gyanko one was fine, in fact better than a lot of the early BFs1 because of the team dynamics. The next episode seems to be a team that uses a lot of combat tactics so wait for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its a team of no names, of course they are going to get chumped. The gyanko one was fine, in fact better than a lot of the early BFs1 because of the team dynamics. The next episode seems to be a team that uses a lot of combat tactics so wait for that.

It wasn't that they got chumped. It was that they got chumped in a boring and unfocused way. The fights aren't any good when they're doing 3 v 3 choreography. Maybe the Dragonar guys will lead to a better 3v3 fight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Episode 5 of the first series was the Mao fight, so there was a lot of fun shenanigans with his character and you even got the imagination battle scene, which was both funny and also very well done.

I think the decision to lower the scope away from the world tournament was a good idea, but they replaced all the personalities and interesting people with really boring fighters instead, If Yuuma's rival dude doesn't break soon I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Episode 5 of the first series was the Mao fight, so there was a lot of fun shenanigans with his character and you even got the imagination battle scene, which was both funny and also very well done.

I think the decision to lower the scope away from the world tournament was a good idea, but they replaced all the personalities and interesting people with really boring fighters instead, If Yuuma's rival dude doesn't break soon I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

Yeah, I've got to say, so far none of the rival characters seem very interesting. They're all "stand on the sidelines and go "that gundam?!" and "my rival..." kind of characters so far. Gyanko stands out because she has a goddamn personality. I can't even blame this on screentime because characters like Fellini or Mao established themselves as having personalities real quickly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wasn't really a fan of this episode. Some of the gags were good, but Team FREE's fight was a two-second steamroll and Team Try Fighter's Big Debut was just two quick intros for the Winning and Lightning Gundams before Sekai going overboard with a new martial art move :effort:.

Here's hoping they're just saving the budget for the Ez-SR Team next week.

Fat and Useless posted:

He wasn't bad, but I think rather than replacing Ral's VO, they should've swapped him for his wife Hamon. Just to mix it up a bit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ral's new actor is okay when he's serious, but he can't do Ral's comedic tone like the empty clubroom scene.

Also agreeing with anyone who wishes for more of the rivals (and characters in general) to get distinct and fun personalities. I'm not sure where they want to go with Sakai right now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't that they got chumped. It was that they got chumped in a boring and unfocused way. The fights aren't any good when they're doing 3 v 3 choreography. Maybe the Dragonar guys will lead to a better 3v3 fight.

It's almost as if the point of this entire episode was to see the results of the teams individual and special training. Ral himself calls them a team of unique individuals. Next week seems to be a battle about making all their hard work congeal together as a team.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I'm glad this show continues to be better than G-Reco, even if it was just a standard set-up episode. Can't wait for next week's fight against the Dragonar squad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He wasn't bad, but I think rather than replacing Ral's VO, they should've swapped him for his wife Hamon. Just to mix it up a bit.

To be fair considering how the original voice actor is in the hospital I think it happened too sudden and too late in the production to make that sort of change. For a little while, at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Honestly I'm willing to forgive a lot of this episode's faults for the money shot of Sekai tornado-punching a Colony into dust.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly I'm willing to forgive a lot of this episode's faults for the money shot of Sekai tornado-punching a Colony into dust.

I think that was the only part Obari worked on by hand, I've seen his keyframes for it at least.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really liked this episode and thought it did a good job of showing how each of the team members have changed their fighting style. Also the way the teams all act make this feel even more like a sports anime. Having each team basically be based around one person is how pretty much all sports shows are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable expansion pack with the Water and Wind fancy punchy/kicky effects for the BBG :shepspends:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's a shame a design as cool as the GN-X got so badly clowned there.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I enjoyed the episode, it wasn't as good as the previous ones but these sort of set-up episodes are usually on the lackluster side so I don't mind too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I enjoyed the episode, it wasn't as good as the previous ones but these sort of set-up episodes are usually on the lackluster side so I don't mind too much.

The problem is that this should have been a big episode. One of the big things brought up from the get-go is that the Gunpla Club hasn't ever gotten past their first match, and they just steamrolled to a win on some faceless grunts.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that this should have been a big episode. One of the big things brought up from the get-go is that the Gunpla Club hasn't ever gotten past their first match, and they just steamrolled to a win on some faceless grunts.

Yeah, it was an odd narative choice I'll admit. The issue was that they wanted to get the reveals of the various upgrades out of the way without having them struggle in the fight at the same time. Its pretty clear that most of this episode was a budget one as well, judging by some of the hilariously off model faces in the latter half.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

Yeah, it was an odd narative choice I'll admit. The issue was that they wanted to get the reveals of the various upgrades out of the way without having them struggle in the fight at the same time. Its pretty clear that most of this episode was a budget one as well, judging by some of the hilariously off model faces in the latter half.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt and guessing that next week's the big-budget fight, they really should've just nixed this grunt slaughter and dragged the setup out to next week with the Ez-SR Team as their first round. That way it's a nice big win that's earned against a competent team, rather than just some no-name goons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well sort of, but really that was EP3. Which was their first win as a team and it was against a recognized team. It was an important for Fumina since she's always been the one getting wreck in the first round, but from a narrative perspective its not that important.

e-Actually, from a narrative perspective, this makes even more sense. Because now the other teams wont underestimate them in any way.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 5, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You know, since there is such a focus on teamwork in this series, I wonder if there will be an episode where two of Try Fighters gets sick and the remaining one has to team up with, oh I don't know, best character Gyanko?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm sorry Fumina, Sekai belongs to Gyanko :getin:

Also lol, in that fight Sekai straight up loving Naruto'd that dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well sort of, but really that was EP3. Which was their first win as a team and it was against a recognized team. It was an important for Fumina since she's always been the one getting wreck in the first round, but from a narrative perspective its not that important.

e-Actually, from a narrative perspective, this makes even more sense. Because now the other teams wont underestimate them in any way.

It made sense to just gloss over a key plot point brought up since the start of the series? Them being underestimated was kinda their whole thing because they haven't ever won a match, and now they've just blown that on a grunt team instead of "holy poo poo, they just took out [Named Rival Team] in the first round :stare:."

Pyroi posted:

You know, since there is such a focus on teamwork in this series, I wonder if there will be an episode where two of Try Fighters gets sick and the remaining one has to team up with, oh I don't know, best character Gyanko?

It wouldn't surprise me, and it'd be Yuuma just to pit her against Fumina some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's almost as if the point of this entire episode was to see the results of the teams individual and special training. Ral himself calls them a team of unique individuals. Next week seems to be a battle about making all their hard work congeal together as a team.

Yes, I know that. I'm saying they did a bad job of it. We didn't see either Winning or Lightning do anything particularly impressive. It was a pretty poor debut episode for Winning and a pretty poor upgrade episode for Lightning which didn't do a great job of showing off what their custom-build Gunplas did as an advantage for them beyond 'cool transformation sequence.'

The problem I have with the fights isn't just that they don't have cool 3v3 battles, it is that they seem to have trouble scripting around 6 people onfield at once both in terms of choreography and animation budget. The original series had it easier here because it was almost always 1v1 and so there was no dividing of focus, except in montages which were usually quick and silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 5, 2014

• Locked thread