Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It made sense to just gloss over a key plot point brought up since the start of the series? Them being underestimated was kinda their whole thing because they haven't ever won a match, and now they've just blown that on a grunt team instead of "holy poo poo, they just took out [Named Rival Team] in the first round :stare:."

No because then they could go "Oh they were just underestimating them blah blah blah". Now they know they are good but just not the extent of it. Having them blow up a good team on the first round would take them from underdogs to contenders in just one match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No because then they could go "Oh they were just underestimating them blah blah blah". Now they know they are good but just not the extent of it. Having them blow up a good team on the first round would take them from underdogs to contenders in just one match.

They showed off they can coordinate effectively to stomp a team in under a minute, and gave away all their gimmicks. There's nothing left for anyone to underestimate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'll agree this episode wasn't that great all told, and that Gyanko and Sakai aside, none of the other rival teams have any sort of charisma (though to be fair each of them has only had about a minute and a half of screen time). I did like that they showed Sekai's training actually being logical rather than him busting out some new super power just because, and it's good that we're finally getting some history on Fumina beyond "Always lost in the first round." Hopefully she'll start interacting with Lady soon. It also looks like people actually using SD gundams in actual competitions is rare, so hopefully they'll do stuff with that.

Now I'm just waiting for budget build Destiny guy to start single-handedly clowning people, and hopefully the show will start moving a bit faster and giving some more rivals a chance to be characters.

Also sorry Mirai, your brother belongs to Gyanko, not Fumina.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They showed off they can coordinate effectively to stomp a team in under a minute, and gave away all their gimmicks. There's nothing left for anyone to underestimate.

They absolutely did not give away all their gimmicks. All we saw Winning do was transform and shoot a beam rifle. It's a support unit so it will have other things it can do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

They absolutely did not give away all their gimmicks. All we saw Winning do was transform and shoot a beam rifle. It's a support unit so it will have other things it can do.

BBG's particle kung-fu, the Lightning's full weapon load-out and transformation (which got some big cries of surprise from the audience), and the Winning's transformation. What's left?

chumbler posted:

I did like that they showed Sekai's training actually being logical rather than him busting out some new super power just because, and it's good that we're finally getting some history on Fumina beyond "Always lost in the first round."

I liked the training bits with him too. Working out, and matching, the motion range on the Build Burning Gundam as well as the swimming training.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

BBG's particle kung-fu, the Lightning's full weapon load-out and transformation (which got some big cries of surprise from the audience), and the Winning's transformation. What's left?

At bare minimum Winning Knuckle and it's pretty likely Winning Gundam has other special gimmicks in place as well.

We also don't know 100% what Lightning did to make Ral drop his shield. It may have just been the transformation + long distance snipe but it also could be another hidden gimmick.

And of course Sekai's gonna get a new kung-fu move every goddamn episode.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
GUNDAM SPIEGEL! :swoon:

*ahem*

Episode kinda fell a bit short for me, too. I think it's mainly that, as others have said, their first win in the actual tournament should have been a bit more of a big deal in a narrative sense. Instead, it all just felt kind of rushed.

And yeah, too many of the rival teams are just kind of standing around going :colbert: while they comment on the fact that Yuuma's on the team and ignore Fumina and Sekai. Though watching Minato have a coronary when he saw Sekai kicking rear end was kind of sweet.

Ral's new voice was kind of jarring at first, but hopefully his new VA will grow more comfortable in the role.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Episode was OK. Lot more backstory than tournament, but at least there's some good setup.

I do like that the team's starting to work together better. And Winning Gundam is great. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You say that like you don't know.

HIKARI NI NARE! :black101:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the Winning didn't get into melee range this episode, so we didn't see its buzzsaw shield in action.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Team Cross Swords was the funniest part of this episode. Those dudes are dedicated go their gimmick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

And of course Sekai's gonna get a new kung-fu move every goddamn episode.

Hey it's better than ending every fight with the same punch. But yeah I'm with you that I really don't want every episode to be Sekai doing the closer. We might just have to live with that, though. The guy's alright, but he's already feeling pretty overused.

Something else I think is worth noting is that given that they're generally setting up individual rivals rather than team rivals, we can hopefully expect that there will still be solo battles outside of the tournaments, or that any given tournament match will focus more on a particular character (hopefully not Sekai).

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Team Cross Swords was the funniest part of this episode. Those dudes are dedicated go their gimmick.

I think my favorite part was that the Strike Noir didn't even get shown shooting from what I remember, we only saw him use his sword.

Also Tatsuya is looking a little homeless standing next to our new Meijin(?)/Lady, he must have lose his sense of fashion with his glasses.

E: V It was the Strike Noir

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 5, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I know they're eventually gonna have to job for either Team Try Fighters or one of the rival teams, but it was still nice to get to see the Spiegel doing something cool. I'm also kind of amused by one of his teammates being a Gundam Sandrock since my first Gunpla ever was a no grade 1/144 Sandrock. :allears:

Also, what was the other guy on their team piloting? I didn't recognize it.

E: ^ Cool, thanks!

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 5, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I know they're eventually gonna have to job for either Team Try Fighters or one of the rival teams, but it was still nice to get to see the Spiegel doing something cool. I'm also kind of amused by one of his teammates being a Gundam Sandrock since my first Gunpla ever was a no grade 1/144 Sandrock. :allears:

Also, what was the other guy on their team piloting? I didn't recognize it.

I like that they remembered Spiegel exists.
Bertigo too, even if it got trashed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm BatmanSekai, I can breathrun in space!

Razzled posted:

I'm sorry Fumina, Sekai belongs to Gyanko :getin:

Also lol, in that fight Sekai straight up loving Naruto'd that dude.

Sekai's gimmick seems to be some unholy fusion of Naruto, Simon from Gurren Lagann, and Doumon.

I couldn't be happier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really want to know what the hell Sei was up to during the 11th World Championship that he custom-build a Gunpla that seems to be custom-made for a random bullshit brand of kung-fu. It seems like the polar opposite of the fighting style we saw him adapt.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really want to know what the hell Sei was up to during the 11th World Championship that he custom-build a Gunpla that seems to be custom-made for a random bullshit brand of kung-fu. It seems like the polar opposite of the fighting style we saw him adapt.

Well we still haven't seen the original burning gundam. Everyone thats seen both have made it pretty clear that the one being shown now is different version based on the original burning. It could be that the original fit Sei's style more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well we still haven't seen the original burning gundam. Everyone thats seen both have made it pretty clear that the one being shown now is different version based on the original burning. It could be that the original fit Sei's style more.

Given the love of using the Build Knuckle, best guess is the original was more focused on punching poo poo good, and then Sei expanded it to a full range of martial art moves.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe the reason he lost the 11th Championship was because Yuuki wasn't a moron and just shot him from the other end of the arena.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Razzled posted:

I'm sorry Fumina, Sekai belongs to Gyanko :getin:

Also lol, in that fight Sekai straight up loving Naruto'd that dude.

Considering how he went through the colony with a hgue explosion, it's more like he Gunbuster'd it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCY3I5yxo

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I'm disappointed the regional tournament is apparently 19-and-under. It means we won't get random adult goons people like Fellini showing up and being weird and awesome.

Other than that I thought it was a pretty good episode. Safe, but still pretty good. There's still time for a real team-based fight, and for some of these individual rivalries to play out into something bigger.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the semifinalists will advance to nationals, which is why there are 3(?) teams being set up as serious business, and they didn't want to off one of the groups they were characterizing in the first round.

e: Sakai's "Impossible! I thought you were a loser!" loving killed me. I can't wait to see what he does when the Build Burning Gundam achieves Hyper Mode.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 5, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, the way the fight seems to be framed for this episode was letting Try Fighters show off without too much worry of having to balance against another team. At the same time - or rather, hopefully - they're using this as a chance to showcase that whilst they're strong individually, they're not going to be really working together as a team to beat their opponents like this. They throw off strategy from the word go, and whilst that got them through this round, they also had the advantage of no-one knowing what they were going to pull out of their asses. Considering the last series made a point of the more capable fighters keeping a close eye on what their opponents previously showcased, I hope they do so again for things going ahead - thus forcing better synergy.

That or its just really gonna be Sekai punching things.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I mean, Yuuma had a strategy going in (make sure Sekai couldn't wreck his Gunpla because he can't pilot in space) and it was pretty valid based on what we've seen so far and what he knew.

I would have liked to see more from the Lightning and Winning, but I legitimately think we will. They've already shown in episode 3 that they're willing to put Sekai into situations where trying to punch everything isn't the best idea, even if it might work out in the end. :shobon:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I had no problem with the rollover fight. The entire episode is basically a training montage followed by "This is the result of their training and preparation!". It would be really weird for them to show a teamwork-focused fight when they spent absolutely no time attempting to gel together as a team and did all of their prep work on their own, to the point of not even communicating what they were doing in advance with each other so that they were surprised by each others' upgrades during their first tournament fight, which is pretty hilarious if you think about it.

I will 100% guarantee you that the next big obstacle for the team to overcome is that they're terrible and untested at working together in any real way and their opponents are not.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe the reason he lost the 11th Championship was because Yuuki wasn't a moron and just shot him from the other end of the arena.

So he began lobbying for a switch to team tournaments.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Lady ends up being a big goon like Fellini, because that would be absolutely hilarious and this show needs its own Fellini and nobody else really fits the bill yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nice episode. It was an over-the-top "behold the results of our training" episode, but it was still fun. Yuuma is taking things serious, Sekai has already improved one of his biggest weaknesses, and Fumina's Winning Gundam looks cool and cute. I expect she'll probably be able to get the team to overcome whatever shenanigans they face next episode.

Liking this show a lot still!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The only nitpick I can make is I hope there will be a few battles where one or two of the members are outright defeated/destroyed in the progress of a battle. Especially if its up to the last member to defeat 2+ enemies in order to succeed.

And I want that sole survivor to be Fumina. :black101:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Kanos posted:

I will 100% guarantee you that the next big obstacle for the team to overcome is that they're terrible and untested at working together in any real way and their opponents are not.

It would make sense, as it looks like they'll be going up against that gray suit squad pretty soon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The only nitpick I can make is I hope there will be a few battles where one or two of the members are outright defeated/destroyed in the progress of a battle. Especially if its up to the last member to defeat 2+ enemies in order to succeed.

And I want that sole survivor to be Fumina. :black101:

If there is going to be a last man standing it will be Sekai until at least mid season or so, since none of the team would likely be able to rebuild the build burning, and I would assume that the writers are saving "Build burning is destroyed!" for a major plot event. Like maybe budget Destiny guy clowns him or something.

I think I'm actually more interested in finding out budget Destiny guy's deal than any other teased plot points so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

If there is going to be a last man standing it will be Sekai until at least mid season or so, since none of the team would likely be able to rebuild the build burning, and I would assume that the writers are saving "Build burning is destroyed!" for a major plot event. Like maybe budget Destiny guy clowns him or something.

I think I'm actually more interested in finding out budget Destiny guy's deal than any other teased plot points so far.

I assume his little brother is dead/in the hospital/was literally turned into a Gunpla by Gunpla Wizards and he's fighting in his memory.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
remember desperation disease from e7? it's like that but he just stares at a gunpla in his hand instead of a compac drive. also severe plavsky allergies

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For a moment I went WHAT IF LADY IS CAROLINE OH MY GOD but then I checked and they have different colored eyes. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

For a moment I went WHAT IF LADY IS CAROLINE OH MY GOD but then I checked and they have different colored eyes. :smith:

Also we saw her when Fumina was young.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After watching the new episode, dang the show is really suffering from dull rivals at the moment. Gyanko's funny! Everyone else is just kinda stonefaced and way too serious about the whole thing. If we didn't meet Sakai in the previous episode I'd have no way of telling them all apart.

Also beating a team of faceless mooks is the sort of thing that would be the opening act for a season 1 episode, not the big fight for the episode. Boo.

(Heck, I really get the impression that I'd be enjoying this more if season 1 didn't exist because in a lot of aspects it's really falling short, to me)

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Aaaah why did I oversleep.

quote:

GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam (Stargazer)
ZMT-S34S Rig Contio (V)
GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam (Stargazer)
GF13-021NG Gundam Spiegel (G)
XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock (W)
RX-160S Byarlant Custom (Unicorn)
RMSN-008 Bertigo (X)
RGM-111 Hardygun (F91)
OZX-GU01A Gundam Geminass 01 (W)

I couldn't identify whatever that crazy GM Guntank was supposed to be (pretty sure it's a custom) and I probably could have gotten those underwater mobile suits but gently caress it, Sharkopath is better at it.

All-in-all, a pretty standard episode. Everyone finished their builds/training and got the attention of all the rival teams. A shame it was a budget episode, but the next episode is the first big fight so that's where we'll see what the animators/battle choreographers can do.

So far Try seems to alternate between being fun and being generic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Srice posted:

After watching the new episode, dang the show is really suffering from dull rivals at the moment. Gyanko's funny! Everyone else is just kinda stonefaced and way too serious about the whole thing. If we didn't meet Sakai in the previous episode I'd have no way of telling them all apart.

Also beating a team of faceless mooks is the sort of thing that would be the opening act for a season 1 episode, not the big fight for the episode. Boo.

(Heck, I really get the impression that I'd be enjoying this more if season 1 didn't exist because in a lot of aspects it's really falling short, to me)

To be fair, Gyanko and Sakai are the only rivals at the moment. Everyone else just exists undefined because all we've seen are quips and vignettes. Gyanko and Sakai both got to have fights with Sekai and Fumina, and had episodes where these were important.

I do think that this should have been a split episode though, just so we could watch the three of them take their sweet time wrecking their first round mook opponents. It was rushed as hell, but the problem wasn't them being mooks at all. Team Labcoat is the real first battle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BlitzBlast posted:

I couldn't identify whatever that crazy GM Guntank was supposed to be (pretty sure it's a custom) and I probably could have gotten those underwater mobile suits but gently caress it, Sharkopath is better at it.

It was a Zaku tank painted in Guntank colors with a GM's head.

Tge water suits were bog-standard Gogg, Zock, and Z'gok.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Warmachine posted:

To be fair, Gyanko and Sakai are the only rivals at the moment. Everyone else just exists undefined because all we've seen are quips and vignettes. Gyanko and Sakai both got to have fights with Sekai and Fumina, and had episodes where these were important.

I do think that this should have been a split episode though, just so we could watch the three of them take their sweet time wrecking their first round mook opponents. It was rushed as hell, but the problem wasn't them being mooks at all. Team Labcoat is the real first battle.

Yeah that's basically what I mean! At this point in the first season we were introduced to more battlers with personalities. Fellini, Mao, Kirara, and Yuuki.

Here we have Gyanko (who's definitely a fun character) and Sakai, who so far is a bland as heck rival dude. I'm just not finding the supporting cast to be as good as the first season's was so far.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakai's problem is that he is just so unfocused. He's Yuuma's rival but he's also Sekei's rival and otherwise he's just basically Mao. He's kind of all over the place so far. Mao, in comparison, was really clear and concise. (Great builder to be the rival to Sei's build skills.)

BF did a lot better job of setting up some core rivalries by this point. We knew what Yuuki's deal was, we knew what Mao's deal was, Felini had already been showing up, and the core cast was already pretty defined.

And yeah, everyone is more serious. It isn't a serious show but it feels like it compared to the first season which went out of its way to undercut drama wherever possible.

• Locked thread