Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Papes posted:

medical software

one of the very, very few cases of software engineering

(well, at least, in theory.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Papes posted:

game studio or the one who does medical software?

either way lol

the medical software one

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Sniep posted:

sorry you don't poop in your own yard when there are other yards that are far more guilt free to poop in

name those yards

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

im not naming names but there is a shortlist in the industry of "who you don't want to work for" and it's not terribly difficult to come up with it if you piece together things

its lowtax

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i hope you've at least named and shamed on glassdoor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

was it Epic the game company or Epic the medical software company that employed a serial rapist of coworkers for years

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Bloody posted:

i hope you've at least named and shamed on glassdoor.

nah, business is business.

just think "hey have you heard an awful lot of people talk about how bad some place is to work for?" then maybe take that into consideration

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

assdoor

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

don't post my dancing name

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Plastic Snake posted:

I've heard very polarized opinions about working for Amazon. some people say it's literal hell on earth, and some people say it's awesome.

I interpret this as it being very dependent on the team you get placed with.

this. if you want to see positive experience, ask me or cicero. if you want to hear the worst experience in the world, ask gazpacho (does he still post?).

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

:psyduck: crockford jesus christ

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
idgi

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
douglas crockford is this kinda important javascript guy who apparently can't decide on which basic language constructs to use

it was him who proposed Object.create

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the next edition of javascript the good parts will just one page "lol javascript has no good parts, don't use it"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

was it Epic the game company or Epic the medical software company that employed a serial rapist of coworkers for years

the medical software company is way bigger, so if only one, probably them

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Luigi Thirty posted:

what

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

St Evan Echoes posted:

yeah thanks that looks interesting but id feel bad getting work to pay for something for a toy project

dude just use the openXML sdk like shaggar said

it's not great but it's not too bad either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
make a word doc like you want your program to do

decompile it to C# statements using the helper app

make some sane methods from that mess

produce output

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't even know c# had an 'address of' operator (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sbf85k1c.aspx)

What would I ever use that for in the context of a c# program?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Thanks for the advice. I am more curious about how to decide to commit a section of software development, i.e. front end development vs web Dev vs mobile Dev vs systems Dev vs data analytics etc. I have a lot of interests but I am an old with a family and don't have the luxury of dicking around for ten years while I "find myself".

Just trying to figure out what to commit to and I suck at committing to things.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Careful Drums posted:

I didn't even know c# had an 'address of' operator (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sbf85k1c.aspx)

circumventing as much of the language possible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Careful Drums posted:

interacting with a c api

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

Passing an array to native code

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AlsoD posted:

circumventing as much of the language possible

hobbesmaster posted:

interacting with a c api

Bloody posted:

Passing an array to native code

thanks guys

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the big hint is "(requires unsafe context)"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i do find it pretty interesting that when microsoft was creating .net and c# their solution to "what do we do about all the c api DLLs out there?" was "put in a C mode that bypasses everything"

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm a freelancer but I've been thinking about this a bit, and the kind of jobs I want to do. I started up as a PSD chopper, but really my focus is on being a front end developer for mobile web apps, and basically that's what I do now. Laugh if you want cause I'm a terrible web dev, but I'm a terrible web dev seemingly in demand. :D

Anyway my MO is to take jobs that scare me, that have big quotes, whether its an interesting technical problem that furthers my area of expertise, namely thick front end web apps, or just some intense clients with exacting standards.

Either way, I think the jobs you take should make you a little bit nervous. The fear is there because you know you're capable but you might gently caress it up. Being scared of failure can produce your best work as long as you don't be stupid. (agree to unrealistic deadlines, mismanage clients, etc)

So for me, its to seek out hard work and ignore easy money churns, it was hard to do for a while because I have to support my family, but its paid off so far. Might not be rolling in cash but I'm turning into the developer I want to be whilst not starving so hooray I guess.

hey, thanks for this post

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

the big hint is "(requires unsafe context)"

yeah, i've never had to deal with unmanaged code so idk. that doesn't sound like much fun (or a big barrel of fun, depending on how you look at it)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its actually nbd but it depends on the native api you're using. then again i maintain a couple programs written in c++/cli so this isn't too strange for me

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t2yzs44b.aspx

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

~Coxy posted:

dude just use the openXML sdk like shaggar said

it's not great but it's not too bad either.
yeah that's what i am doing

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

of course people still will go to them out of desperation or a big offer, but they generally don't last unless they just happen to deal well with the various horrible aspects

*raises paw* it can't possible be worse than living in Mexico. I would murder the factory slaves with drones if they asked it of me. But the team I joined seems pretty chill.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

i do find it pretty interesting that when microsoft was creating .net and c# their solution to "what do we do about all the c api DLLs out there?" was "put in a C mode that bypasses everything"

tbf it works really well and is quite painless.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

fart simpson posted:

the medical software one

haha everytime i see my mom she bitches about how her hospital switched to something they do and how lovely it is

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://m.wiba.com/articles/madison-news-118857/serial-rapist-back-behind-bars-11357112/

guy raped 6 of his coworkers AND made cp out of a cab passenger he rode with

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
:stare:

Amazon Interview Study Guide posted:

Programming Languages:
We do not require that you know any specific language before interviewing for a technical position at Amazon.com, but familiarity with a prominent object oriented language is generally a prerequisite for success. Not only should you be familiar with the syntax of a language like C++, Java, or C#, you should also know some of the language nuances such as how memory management works, what some of the most commonly used collections or libraries are, etc. You should be able to compare languages and talk about the tradeoffs between using language X vs. language Y.

Data Structures:
Most of the work we do involves storing and providing access to data in efficient ways. This necessitates a very strong background in standard data structures. You should know what each of these data structures is and how they’re implemented; what their runtimes are for common operations; and under what circumstances it would be beneficial to use one. The below are in no particular order.

F0B7 Array
F0B7 Linked List
F0B7 Tree (Tree, Binary Tree, Binary Search Tree, Red-Black Tree, etc.)
F0B7 Heap
F0B7 Hash Table
F0B7 Stack
F0B7 Queue
F0B7 Trie
F0B7 Graph (both directed and undirected)
F0B7 Algorithms

It’s also important to know efficient ways manipulate data. One great way of doing this is brushing up on some common algorithms. We’ll expect that you can apply and discuss the tradeoffs between some commonly used algorithms.

Sorting:

F0B7 Bubble Sort
F0B7 Merge Sort
F0B7 Quick Sort
F0B7 Radix/Bucket Sort

Traversals (On multiple data structures):

F0B7 Depth First Search
F0B7 Breadth First Search

Coding:
Expect to be asked to code syntactically correct code – no pseudo code. If you’re a bit rusty coding without an IDE or coding in a specific language, it’s probably a good idea to dust off the cobwebs and get comfortable coding with pen and paper. The most important thing a software engineer does at Amazon.com is write scalable, stable, robust, and well tested code. These are going to be the main criteria by which your code will be evaluated, so make sure that you check for edge cases and common error inputs as well as the “happy paths” through the code.

Object Oriented Design:
Good design is paramount to extensible, bug free, and long living code. It’s possible to solve a software problem in an almost limitless number of ways, but when software needs to be robust and extensible, it’s important to know some common techniques that help with this. Using object oriented design best practices is one way to build lasting software. You should have a working knowledge of a few common and useful design patterns (singleton, factory, adapter, bridge, visitor, command, proxy, observer, etc.) as well as know how to write software in an object oriented way with appropriate use of inheritance and aggregation.

Databases:
Most of the software that we write is backed by a database somewhere. A lot of the challenges we face come in to play when interfacing with existing data models and when designing new data models. You should know the basics of how relational databases work, how to design relational database schemas, as well as how to write basic SQL queries against a database.

Distributed Computing:
Our systems at Amazon.com usually have to work under very strict tolerances at high load. While we have some internal tools that help us with scaling it’s important to have an understanding of a few basic distributed computing concepts. Having an understanding of topics such as map-reduce, service oriented architectures, distributed caching, load balancing, etc. will help you in formulating answers to some of the more complicated distributed architecture questions you might encounter.

Internet Topics:
This is Amazon.com, we’re an online company and we expect our engineers to be familiar with, at least, the basics of how the internet works. You might want to brush up on how internet browsers do what they do, DNS lookups, what TCP/IP and HTTP are, sockets, etc. We’re not looking for network engineering types of qualifications, but a solid understanding of the fundamentals of how the web works is a requirement.

Operating Systems:
You won’t need to know how to build your own operating system, but you should be familiar with some OS topics that can affect code performance, such as memory management, processes, threads, synchronization, paging, multithreading, deadlocks (causes, detection, avoidance).

Please let me know if you have any questions before your interview.

Thank you,

They really do give you a drat study guide, lol.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

the hardest question when I phone screened was given two pre sorted integer arrays that can contain duplicates, produce one sorted array with no duplicates

it's easy to do but the O(n) version uses three while loops. don't work for Amazon

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

douglas crockford is this kinda important javascript guy who apparently can't decide on which basic language constructs to use

it was him who proposed Object.create

has he just stopped using OO entirely because that list leaves him with a very small range of options

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qntm posted:

has he just stopped using OO entirely because that list leaves him with a very small range of options

if he has any sense, he's stopped using js entirely

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

AWWNAW posted:

the hardest question when I phone screened was given two pre sorted integer arrays that can contain duplicates, produce one sorted array with no duplicates

it's easy to do but the O(n) version uses three while loops. don't work for Amazon

am I missing something? Can't you just do a mergesort style merge with a hashset to throw out dupes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Might not even need to keep track of a set; just remember or look up the last value you added to the merged list.

• Locked thread