Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh thank god. But at this point it's not a matter of if its when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Christoff posted:

Oh thank god. But at this point it's not a matter of if its when

Yeah,and it's confirmed the current jailbreak is no good on 8.1.1

Like, if your iPhone 6 already shipped, or will in the next day or two, it'll prolly have 8.1 for you

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is 8.1 really a sea change from 7.1.2? I'm still torn on whether to bother upgrading and rejailbreaking my 5S.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ibntumart posted:

Is 8.1 really a sea change from 7.1.2? I'm still torn on whether to bother upgrading and rejailbreaking my 5S.

You get interactive notifications and apps can talk to each other. Probably more minor stuff that I'm forgetting. Being able to unlock 1Password/Lastpass/Dashlane/whatever with a fingerprint or using them inside Safari is worth it though.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Son of a bitch. I was hoping this JB window would last longer so I could give the developers of my favourite tweaks time to update for iOS 8 before I had to take the plunge. I'm going to hold out and stick with iOS 7. :colbert:

This bit me in the rear end when I made the same decision to stick with iOS 6 until Pangu with iOS 7.1, but I think App Store apps will remain compatible with iOS 7 longer than they did with iOS 6.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Son of a bitch. I was hoping this JB window would last longer so I could give the developers of my favourite tweaks time to update for iOS 8 before I had to take the plunge. I'm going to hold out and stick with iOS 7. :colbert:

This bit me in the rear end when I made the same decision to stick with iOS 6 until Pangu with iOS 7.1, but I think App Store apps will remain compatible with iOS 7 longer than they did with iOS 6.

You'll probably be fine for a while. I was thinking of doing the same thing but there are a few features that I really wanted on 8, and devs twitters for my must have tweaks say they'll be out within the next week, so I updated to 8 and will wait to jailbreak until then.

A feature I love that didn't even know existed, is now with both devices on ios8 I can forward texting from my iPad through my iPhone seamlessly, so I can text regular phones and not just iMessage!

Edit: oh and the way text notifications and replies works on ios8 is pretty much what bitesms does, so not sure I'll even install that when it gets updated

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It's really, really silly not to upgrade, but to each their own.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there anything that will back up your jailbreak tweaks and apps to minimize the amount of manual fuckery after an upgrade and re-jb?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
Source saver for cydia repositories.
AptBackup for tweaks and apps.

Both locally store a list of repositories on the phone then reference that list when you want to install everything

Used them on my iPad2 back on 7.1.2 upgraded to 8.1 to jailbreak. Installed Souce Saver and AptBackupand restored all my repositories and tweaks without a hitch for the ones that could be installed due to newer iOS.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

bobfather posted:

I stayed on ios5 until 7.1 just because Quasar wouldn't work on anything past 5 and I was really hesitant to give up a windows ui on my ipad.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if apps still worked on 5. Single fullscreen window only is stupid.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

still no lockinfo or intelliscreen for iOS8, eh?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Javid posted:

Is there anything that will back up your jailbreak tweaks and apps to minimize the amount of manual fuckery after an upgrade and re-jb?

Early days of JBs are always turbulent in that devs take some time to update their apps, and some stock iOS features start pre-empting the need for cydia apps. Hence, I think the best way to go about it is to just make a txt file of everything you have installed and then do it manually one by one through Cydia since you'll need to check to make sure each one is compatible. It's a pain but the way least fraught with pitfalls.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Early days of JBs are always turbulent in that devs take some time to update their apps, and some stock iOS features start pre-empting the need for cydia apps. Hence, I think the best way to go about it is to just make a txt file of everything you have installed and then do it manually one by one through Cydia since you'll need to check to make sure each one is compatible. It's a pain but the way least fraught with pitfalls.

^^

AppInfo will make that list for you nicely, repositories and all

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

spongeworthy posted:

^^

AppInfo will make that list for you nicely, repositories and all

Yeah deff the best way to go. Emails you a list of your repositories and installed tweaks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just got my iphone 6/ATT and it has 8.0.2 in case anyone cares.

Thankfully 8.1 still being signed. gently caress the download is like 5 hours. Am I safe to do an OTA upgrade from 8.0.2 and then jailbreak?

lelandjs posted:

That said, jailbreaking with Pangu was stupid easy (I even ignored their warning about installing it over a 8.1 OTA after I did a backup of course) and honestly it was worth it just for f.lux and NoSlowAnimations (man, I didn't realize how slow the animations were before now, godDAMN Apple).

hmm. Googling around it seems like the jailbreak just may not work. But if it jailbreaks you're fine

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 5, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Christoff posted:

Thankfully 8.1 still being signed.

It's the latest version. 8.1.1 just started being distributed to beta testers this week.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I know I just added that bit in case anyone was wondering

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Most of the tweaks I use have been updated/are reported to work with iOS 8. However, two that are important to me, are not iOS 8 compatible: PriorityHub and Reminders+.

I use them to keep my work schedule and bus times on my lock screen.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bobfather posted:

Pretty much this.

You can forgo your tweaks for a week or 2 while devs update them for iOS8. To hold off and stay on 7 and play the gambling game on 8.1.1 seems pretty risky.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Most of the tweaks I use have been updated/are reported to work with iOS 8. However, two that are important to me, are not iOS 8 compatible: PriorityHub and Reminders+.

I use them to keep my work schedule and bus times on my lock screen.

I posted a Priority Hub beta in here a page back

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spongeworthy posted:

I posted a Priority Hub beta in here a page back

So you did. And I just sent a tweet to Reminders+ creator to see if he's updating. Here's hoping for a yes...

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Does jailbreaking have any effect on using ApplePay? I have tried twice at Walgreens and it doesn't seem to work. And yes the store is setup for that service.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Some links to compatabile and must have apps for ios8

http://www.thetechgadget.com/best-jailbreak-tweaks-work-ios-8-8-1-currently/

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/ios8

and the already linked spreadsheet - https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid=z1v909ff833ece6824400b4d4095ac3a277ac

Going to check out tage (it's like zephyr) Auxo 2 would be nice but I really liked zephyr

Yessss swipeselection. Such a small tweak but it rules

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 6, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Does jailbreaking have any effect on using ApplePay? I have tried twice at Walgreens and it doesn't seem to work. And yes the store is setup for that service.

It shouldn't cause a problem, no. I thought I heard on the news Walgreens stopped accepting apple pay last week?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Moose-Alini posted:

It shouldn't cause a problem, no. I thought I heard on the news Walgreens stopped accepting apple pay last week?

They're actually the only drugstore sensible enough to continue accepting NFC payments.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Guess I'll have to try again during a time where it's not busy as hell, I'm in Chicago and the lines are usually long at the register so I'd prefer to not be the rear end in a top hat causing even more of a delay.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Guess I'll have to try again during a time where it's not busy as hell, I'm in Chicago and the lines are usually long at the register so I'd prefer to not be the rear end in a top hat causing even more of a delay.

When you jailbreak you remove your pass code and restore. By default it removes all APPLEPAY info from your device. Have you checked to see if your cards are still on file on your phone?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Feenix posted:

When you jailbreak you remove your pass code and restore. By default it removes all APPLEPAY info from your device. Have you checked to see if your cards are still on file on your phone?

Yessir, I only had one card on file (Chase card which is the same one tied to my iTunes account) and it is still there and shows up in Passbook and in ApplePay settings. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anyone have MapsOpener working?

It's listed as 8.1 compatible, but on my 5S, Contacts addresses still open in Apple Maps app rather than Google Maps app. The toggle is set in Settings, and it worked on iOS 7...

I've remove/reinstalled from Cydia to no avail. Is it not working like it used to yet, or is something odd on my end?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok I highly recommend checking out tage If you liked zephyr or Auxo 2. There's a 3 day trial but it's like $2 otherwise. Not sure how it'll work with the new Auxo (whenever it comes) looks like it's one or the other

Virtual home is also pretty great. Anyone with a 5s or up should check it out.

Showcase is also another really simple but great tweak (Shows keyboard letters as lowercase when applicable)

And of course flip control center if you haven't used that before

Mobius also works and is free. It's like wraparound. http://repo.tylercasson.com/

Also apparently a bitesms update is coming

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/10/bitesms-ios-8-update.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 6, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Yessir, I only had one card on file (Chase card which is the same one tied to my iTunes account) and it is still there and shows up in Passbook and in ApplePay settings. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Ah. I asked because I jailbroke and later that day went to Whole Foods and it didn't work and it was because it removed my cards. Was worth a shot.:)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Something to be aware of, doubly so if you're jailbroken: http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=4140

tl;dr New OSX malware has components that listen for iphone usb connections, which then gathers some metadata from the phone, and if the phone is jailbroken, it also grabs actual data (imessages etc) by uploading an ios backdoor component that hooks onto the commonly installed mobilesubstrate jailbreak helper.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

devilmouse posted:

Something to be aware of, doubly so if you're jailbroken: http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=4140

tl;dr New OSX malware has components that listen for iphone usb connections, which then gathers some metadata from the phone, and if the phone is jailbroken, it also grabs actual data (imessages etc) by uploading an ios backdoor component that hooks onto the commonly installed mobilesubstrate jailbreak helper.

Frankly I'm kinda surprised that the jailbreaks theme selves have never been found to have malware.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
So don't install afc2 unless you absolutely need it at the moment. And don't download pirated software.

Always change your root password after jailbreaking as well. For good measure.

And it pays to have a firewall like Little Snitch which would totally thwart this attack, it seems.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I have Reachability turned off in Accessibility settings, yet the function works by double tapping the home button. Anyone else have this behavior on a jb'd phone? Trying to track down what could be causing it.

e: Appears it may be an Activator issue. No assignments are set though.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 6, 2014

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Looks like the payment system is up now in Cydia. Just purchased the new TetherMe. Haven't had any success with it, unfortunately. My work computer won't connect to it. I've read some reports of people having issues with tethering in 8.1 so who knows.

edit: Rebooted my phone and now its working.

decypher fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 6, 2014

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Posting this for a friend who is on 8.1, jailbroken with an iPhone 5. She installed NoSlowAnimations and when she turned Reduced Motion on in Settings, she's getting this white bar at the top of the screen. Anyone else experience this? I'm on a 6 and do not have that issue. And I had her reboot and respring, still there though.

Edit: there is also a big white bar that appears at the bottom of the lock screen as well but I don't have a screenshot of it.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 7, 2014

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
those badges are triggering me hardcore

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
The appearance or the 8.8K unread emails?

I'd have to see a list of their installed packages to say what might cause that bar but I'm almost certain it has nothing to do with NoSlowAnimations or Reduced Motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Whoa, the LittleBrother tweak is pretty cool. Upscale is an alternative tweak that lets you define resolution size but I haven't tried that one. Having the 6+ landscape mode on my 6 is pretty nice. Combined with 5 columns/dock here in these photos.

Status bar and spacing are a little off in landscape but I'm sure it has a few bugs which will get worked out.

• Locked thread