Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Poultron posted:

Agreed. John has not yet slowly dissolved into pixels because of his dead boyfriend.

Here's hoping, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Are people seriously suggesting Dirk is choosing to glitch instead of just being his usual Dirk self and happening to be glitched at the same time?

e: also John's face in http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008861 is pretty much the best way to deal with Dirk's poo poo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

Are people seriously suggesting Dirk is choosing to glitch instead of just being his usual Dirk self and happening to be glitched at the same time?

Dolash posted:

And... is Dirk dead? Did he just pixel himself to bits, or can he just float out of that fuzz.

Don't think of it as choosing to pixelate. Think of it as giving up and succumbing to pixelation. He let the sadness get to him. He's gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 5, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't see how giving up and dissolving would be just or heroic if that what was happening anyway.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

I don't see how giving up and dissolving would be just or heroic if that what was happening anyway.

Well, we learned from Meenah that total annihilation before the Godtier-resurrection can kick in can also do the job.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Dirk's not dead, you idiot fucks. His current state is almost as bad though. He has been consumed by ennui, led to believe that he is ultimately powerless because a multitude of Paradox Space's most powerful villains working together (knowingly or unknowingly) to marginalize what may be the most powerful Hero of the story. The Static is a visual representation of that.

)-(IC, Aranea, and even Lord English all had hands in keeping Dirk out of the events that transpired. What other character can claim to have an equal number of forces working against them?

Now, I may be just a crazy person with rampant depression and insomnia who is only operating on two hours of sleep but I have opinions on Homestuck, drat it.

e: grammar and syntax and such

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 5, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but that's more like "so, you're so dead you not only don't have a body to go back to, you don't even have a place where your body was last seen to go back to"

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, remember Meenah used her session's mini-Tumor to blow everyone up as their Scratch was happening, so really no where else for them to go other than the dream-bubbles.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably one of the more interesting sections of debug log sxxxb's spit out in its mobius history

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sometimes I wonder if the comic's focus had shifted away from time shennanigans, predestination and metahumor and had focused more heavily on SBURB, who created it and what's maintaining it. I know that's the direction we're still going with the cherubs and Lord English, but imagine if Rose's mission to "break poo poo" actually revealed some Cabin in the Woods scenario running behind the scenes of it all. Which again, is sort of what happened, but more in a "Haha, you've discovered the true puppetmaster" sort of way rather than a "Oh gently caress you are NOT supposed to be back here" deal. The closest we ever got to a feeling that things were deeper than they appeared was during the ectobiology sequence with John. There was an air of mystery that's lacking now, when we're directly expositioned at whenever we need to know something by like six different plot waste managers.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It comes back to the thing where Sburb is still in beta/alpha testing, while Sgrub was literally half-invented by Sollux. If John waited until he had the Sburb release candidate, or at least one of the bug fix patches, a lot of this would have gone more smoothly.

e: I would totally read Sburb's debug log/patch notes, they're probably hilarious.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
SBURB Beta Patch Dev Diary Changelog v. 1.17

>Removed errant "Lord English" script that was an unintended leftover from pre-Alpha testing that somehow got left in. It was causing the game to become unstable and often unplayable. Funny thing is, no one remembers why it was there in the first place, or who put it in. I guess it had always been there and no one noticed until now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YggiDee posted:

It comes back to the thing where Sburb is still in beta/alpha testing, while Sgrub was literally half-invented by Sollux. If John waited until he had the Sburb release candidate, or at least one of the bug fix patches, a lot of this would have gone more smoothly.

e: I would totally read Sburb's debug log/patch notes, they're probably hilarious.

No, I believe that SBurb was as complete as it was going to get. Or, at the very least, it's it was as complete as necessary for the story to the happen. Sure, there are probably a billion universes where SBurb was complete enough that it didn't blow up earth or where it lead to the creation of something somewhere. But those things do not and cannot pertain to this story mostly because Hussy wrote himself into a corner and then tried to write himself out of it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

YggiDee posted:

If they were anything like the patch notes on Dwarf Fortress, I would totally read them.

Toady One, 10/31/2014 posted:

*Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something
*Stopped dwarves from trying to clean their own missing or internal body parts
*Decreased frequency of conversation-skill-building dwarf chats
*Stopped fort dwarves from throwing their clothes off into a pile during unretire after being visited by adventurer
*Stopped fort animals from getting clothing during unretire after being visited by adventurer
*Stopped animals with kills from getting trinkets from corpses
*Stopped animals from growing attached to and bestowing names on items in their possession

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 5, 2014

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes, I was being facetious. But also I remembered that some very glitch games, like Daggerfall, have amazing patch notes so Sburb's would be hilarious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope Dirk really is dead because of a technicality because it'll be the first sad-ish thing that has happened in a long time in this comic now that we know almost nobody can ever die for 10,000 different reasons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think I've read something regarding SBurb patch notes somewhere in the MSPA forum. It was some sort of community fanfiction project, I dunno.

On the subject of the update, I'm considering Dirk alive until proven otherwise. He had been pixelated in a past communication with ARquiusprite and turned out ok.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Characters have been in the glitchy bullshit before, it's not anything new. He's just going to be completely incomprehensible with maybe some short-term memory loss after he gets out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We've seen pixelation being blown away to show the true stroy underneath, though. Being overcome by the Static of the Alpha Game is part of being in the Alpha Game. There's a reason we haven't seen the static overcome the Beta Kids yet.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
As mentioned previously there's no air in space. Then again they are also breathing and talking and not immediately dying in space so it seems like Hussie doesn't give a poo poo about any of that stuff.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Poultron posted:

As mentioned previously there's no air in space. Then again they are also breathing and talking and not immediately dying in space so it seems like Hussie doesn't give a poo poo about any of that stuff.

I'm pretty sure the Medium (the in-game name for "space") still has a breathable atmosphere.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Triskelli posted:

I'm pretty sure the Medium (the in-game name for "space") still has a breathable atmosphere.

Which is pretty loving stupid and has a lot of weird implications for physics and it's a lot easier to just say "Hussie doesn't give a poo poo and neither does the Incipisphere"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bobulus posted:

Don't think of it as choosing to pixelate. Think of it as giving up and succumbing to pixelation. He let the sadness get to him. He's gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo
So THAT'S why Hussie loves to use Horse motifs all the time!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Fucknag posted:

Also if you're not following this blog smgdh.

I'd managed to forget all about the meme with that song until now and I was just fine with that, thanks.

The first thought that came to mind was 'I bet there are a thousand videos of the 'Everybody Dies' update set to this. Couldn't resist going to Youtube to check, and welp, I had to watch this and now so do you.

The search brought up some really hilarious 'reaction videos' too, so I don't feel like it was a total waste of time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Poultron posted:

Which is pretty loving stupid and has a lot of weird implications for physics and it's a lot easier to just say "Hussie doesn't give a poo poo and neither does the Incipisphere"

Um. It's not like skaia has enough gravity to be the baracenter of a solar system anyways. This is just refusing to suspend disbelief over physics that's already been addressed.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 5, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Poultron posted:

Dude, they're still inside a video game. That's why they get magic powers and everything. But you're right, the willing suspension of disbelief is a vital part of experiencing any work of fiction, and if saying "Hussie doesn't give a poo poo" lets you do that then more power to you.

If you know the science behind it all though, it'd be cool if you felt like explaining why there can't be air in space. Looking at extreme cases like this is why I'm tempted to pick up that book by the XKCD guy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poultron posted:

Whereas small tiny planets where you build towers higher than the planet's entire diameter by copy/pasting a house over itself repeatedly does not have any weird implication about physics. It's only that they're breathing freely in the Medium that's an issue.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Whereas small tiny planets where you build towers higher than the planet's entire diameter by copy/pasting a house over itself repeatedly does not have any weird implication about physics. It's only that they're breathing freely in the Medium that's an issue.

I didn't say it wasn't sperg as hell! I don't actually care as much as I made it sound. A lot of stuff in Homestuck is really stupid and that's exactly why I love it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think you guys are misinterpreting what poultron is saying, he's not insulting hussie he's saying it's just a show you really should relax.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think I've read something regarding SBurb patch notes somewhere in the MSPA forum. It was some sort of community fanfiction project, I dunno.

On the subject of the update, I'm considering Dirk alive until proven otherwise. He had been pixelated in a past communication with ARquiusprite and turned out ok.

There's the Sburb Glitch FAQ, which is like the only fanfic I really liked.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If Dirk never appeared again in this timeline, then yeah, I would take this sequence as a visual metaphor for suicide.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I feel like GAME OVER was some of the most dire poo poo to happen in Homestuck so far, even though Cascade was longer and had more stuff happening. I mean hell, throwing planets is pretty close to full Gurren Lagann.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who What Now posted:

No, I believe that SBurb was as complete as it was going to get. Or, at the very least, it's it was as complete as necessary for the story to the happen. Sure, there are probably a billion universes where SBurb was complete enough that it didn't blow up earth or where it lead to the creation of something somewhere. But those things do not and cannot pertain to this story mostly because Hussy wrote himself into a corner and then tried to write himself out of it.

I think that was his point, and I agree - Sburb is only as complete and explored as is necessary to support the story of the kids and the trolls battling a runaway Cherub player's attempt to destroy the multiverse. That's a fine story, but the game and its weird shenanigans would've probably also supported a story more about the game itself.

The game destroys planets and civilizations. It's what enabled Caliborn to become Lord English, and frankly considering the way it controls the timeline feels more responsible for Lord English than Caliborn himself. Its relationship to the Horrorterrors was never clearly explained, especially since they seemed interested in disrupting it. It's a great setup for some kind of man-behind-the-curtain story with a multiversal demiurge who controls and inflicts the game upon universes and controls the timeline as the true final boss.

As is though the heroes will probably settle for taking down a rogue player then trying to complete the game as it's intended to be played as best they can. The story Hussie's actually telling should go fine, but there's definitely a lot of unexplored potential with the game.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It was originally just a thread to make silly patch notes for SBURB along the lines of "time players can no longer put the entire economy in fiduciary lockdown" but it went on for so long that it eventually became an RP/fanfic combo.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Sburb story isn't quite over yet. The characters are obviously going to have to create a universe to get their ending, and that means going through the motions with whatever is left. Even earlier in this act we had wrangling around Echidna and what she wants.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Freak Futanari posted:

Here's hoping, though!

Please stop hating on the comic's loveable, vaguely Phillip J. Fry-esque mascot, it's quite troubling to me personally.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

PXS Update

Crowbar continues to have a hell of a smart fuckin' mouth on him.

e:

Holy poo poo

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 6, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Triskelli posted:

Holy poo poo

Caliborn probably painted that himself. His art skills have really improved with time.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Just want to add in that I once talked to BKEW, and it was about what could be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WAR FOOT posted:

e: also John's face in http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008861 is pretty much the best way to deal with Dirk's poo poo.

This is my reaction to anything related to Dirk ever.